Fallen Angel

SCORE
Very Good
Fallen AngelFallen Angel
Notes: Fallen Angel Golden Ale, first brewed on
6-6-6 [JUN 6, 2006], is named in the tradition of Belgian golden strong ales--after the devil himself. We call this beer our "original sin" because it spawned our 2007 Deadly Sin beer series.

Midnight Sun's Fallen Angel Golden Ale is a traditional Belgian-style golden strong ale--deep gold in color with tiny, conniving bubbles forming a very thick, meticulous head. Effervescent and crisp, this delicious ale tempts the palate with apple, pear and a little earthy mustiness. Its beauty and brightness is angel-like in appearance but the devil in is its strength.

Reviews: 62 | Ratings: 128 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by HALB:

2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

3.17/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed out of a brown 22 oz bomber with nothing visible to mark it's bottling or "best by" date. Poured into a Boulevard Smokstack tulip glass.

Appearance - Promising start, with a brassy amber body topped by a foamy two-finger head that sticks around for several minutes before settling to a substantial one-finger froth and leaving sticky, pronounced lacing. Head is creamy white and this is overall a very beautiful beer.

Smell - First sign of a problem begins to arise with the aroma. Dominated by bitter, arresting tones of ester and the pleasant floral overtones I usually love in this style are muted. A good BSPA, in my eyes, will give me as much satisfaction, just from sticking my nose in the glass and breathing in the wonderful layers of aroma, as it does from drinking. This one really made me want to avoid breathing deeply while drinking. Disappointing.

Taste - Better than the smell, the bitterness is still present, but more subdued. Now the fruity phenols are more present as well, with some tropical fruits and a sweet yeasty characteristic, like sweetened bread. I also get a distinct flavor from the grain--it makes me think of pilsner malt in it's crispness. Alcohol heat becomes a bit more obvious as it warms.

Mouthfeel - Decent, and as expected for the style. Carbonation on the high side of moderate, with a continuous stream of bubbles rising through for the duration of the session. Medium bodied and a semi-dry finish.

Overall, just not a very good representative of the style for my money. There are so many that are easier to get and better that I'm not likely to have this one again. Hoping that the other bottle of Midnight Sun beer I have is better.

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

4.13/5  rDev +4%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my snifter.

This Belgian strong pale ale doesn't have an overly flashy appearance. It's a clear gold color with minimal haze and basically has no head save for a thin sheet of white foam which fades quickly. But appearances are superficial. On to more important things...

For being called "Fallen Angel," it smells heavenly. Or maybe I should say "like temptation," hehe. The aroma is like fruity candy... I think I can recognize scents of apple, peach, and maybe a little mango (jeez I love mangos). QUITE intoxicating.

Taking a sip of this beer is like drinking a liquified loaf of yeasty, freshly baked white bread. It's slightly sweet, but it has just the right amount of hoppy bitterness to offset this and balance out perfectly. It feels like it could be a mere half of the 8% ABV, by the way. The definiton of "dangerously drinkable," I believe.

The carbonation is perfect. I have little else to say about it because it functioned so seamlessly well.

Ah, Midnight Sun. You never fail me. This one's right up there with Duvel in my book.

"How far will you fall?"... so asks the label on the bottle. My answer: I'll fall as far as is necessary to indulge in some Fallen Angel!

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

3.89/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

She pours a somewhat hazy golden yellow color and leaves the same colored body with a slim half finger white foamy head that dies within a half minute leaving some nice clingy lacing sticking tot he sides of the glass. The smell starts off with that "iced apples" thing I normally use to describe a fair amount of tripels and then combines with a very strong lemon and coriander sort of spicy character, some Belgian yeasty notes come out but they’re extremely subdued for the most part of the beer. The taste is bittersweet perhaps becoming tart through a combination of the lemon finding its way to intricate itself amongst the flavoring, super dry lemon-like aftertaste and finish. The palate is light to medium, harshness comes at me like a brick wall - wow - pummeling my taste buds into submission. Carbonation is not smooth in any sort of way. Overall, well, if anything this lives up to its name, its a fallen angel, one who is bitter and harsh for what it portrays to the drinker. For a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, I say this is good. Would I have this again, hmmm...., maybe, I think there’s a good chance. I could definitely see this with a nice broiled fish dinner, perhaps some King Salmon.

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

4.09/5  rDev +3%

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a hazy orange gold color with fluffy white head leaving a moderate amount of lacing. Nose is mildly sweet and citrusy with a bit of yeast. Taste follows with a bit more citrus and yeasty notes. Quite dry on the finish with moderate carbonation.

Fallen Angel from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 128 ratings