Cohoho Imperial IPA | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Cohoho Imperial IPACohoho Imperial IPA

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Fall

CoHoHo begins with generous measures of pale two-row and specialty malts along with spirit-boosters like brown sugar and honey. Hefty doses of Cascade, Centennial and Simcoe hops beautifully balance that outrageous malt bill while juniper berries heighten the festive character of this exuberant beer.

Added by Bierman9 on 04-28-2002

Reviews: 160 | Ratings: 258
3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

A: clear burnt copper brown and has poor retention, and decent lacing.

S: Brown sugared burnt orange peel, dark coco, faint ripe red fruit and juniper.

T: Brown fallen pine needle, citrus peel, brown sugared honey, and caramel/toffee lead the way. Nice balance between sweet and dry flavors. The Juniper is pretty hidden and I think sort of intertwines with the more usual flavors associated with hops. This could be the starting point for a good idea...

M: Pretty sticky with a good finish.

O: I like this but it is a work in progress. Ever so subtle solvent flavors take away plusses. The sort of idea of a spiced holiday IPA, however, is an intriguing one.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Cohoho (very festive) emerges a dark copper-amber-mahogany from the bomber. A scant, light khaki head sits atop the beer and remains as a haze. There are some brown hues in the body, as well. Small carbonation bubbles drift upward at a medium pace. The lacing is pretty sticky, dotty, and amoeba-like.

The aroma has some very nice, rounded citrus notes and is balanced nicely by a pretty hefty malt with some caramel characteristics. Of the three added ingredients, I can smell honey the most, followed by brown sugar and juniper berries. It's a sweet aroma for a Double IPA, but that's to be expected, I guess.

The first sip hits reveals very sweet notes of the honey and brown sugar, supported by the caramel-ly malt bill. I'd say the grapefruit and orange hop notes take a backseat to the sweet elements, but the finish does have a pleasant, resiny hop finish. Pretty good.

Cohoho has a medium-bodied feel for a Double IPA with a very coating sweetness at first. That sweetness is replaced by a decently dry and bitter hop finish. Carbonation is pretty high and complements the flavors well.

I liked this beer more than I thought I might. I wasn't sure how brown sugar, honey, and juniper berries would complement a Double IPA, but it was really a pretty nice flavor. A little sweeter than I generally prefer, but nicely done.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz bomber into a goblet. Bottled 3rd week of September 2011. Pours a hazy burnt/dark orange/copper with light brown hues and 2 fingers of off-white head that really sticks to the glass. Fantastic lacing on the glass as well. Appears nicely carbonated. Bottle says this is a double IPA with bonus ingredients--brown sugar, honey, and juniper berries. 85 IBUs.

Smell is fresh pine and citrus fruits (grapefruit/tangerine). Can also smell some of the malt foundation and a hint of the brown sugar added.

Taste is an upfront hop blast of pine and grapefruit bitter flavors followed by a sweet mellowing from the malt, brown sugar and honey. The juniper berries add a piney and pungent quality that blends well with the piney hops. One heck of a transition between the hops and malts and other bonus ingredients.

Mouthfeel is crisp and lively, also features some slickness from the hop oils. The finish is a bit smoother with the sweetness of the honey/brown sugar.

A delightful holiday brew from MS. Delicious, fresh, and local. I'll be stocking up on these bombers for the next couple months.

3.41/5  rDev -13%

A: Holy Cow! Probably one of the most "bottle colored" amber-brown DIPA's I've seen. There's a half-finger thick, somewhat tannish laced residue clinging to my Boonville Beer pint glass...where head once stood.

S: Some of the positive odors I read about, I think may have dissipated with time, as its last winter's version... so, I'll have to have a newer bottle sometime and update this particular note.

T: Caramelized malts... some different spice quality that I can't quite put my thumb on.. the hints of hops are somewhat faded and replaced by the caramel affect..I believe that the brown sugar and honey that is spoken of on the MS website are present within this brew yet...

M: Sounds stranges, but starts off smooth and rough at the same time.. not sure how else to explain it... kinda feels scratchy with the carbonation, but generally, the body feels somewhat smooth as ya swallow..

O: with the time it has on it, this bottle was still enjoyable.. I'll have to try it fresh next time to get a truer feel for this beer. Midnight Sun has been pretty tasty from what I've had thus far.

Thanks a ton for the great gifts frank, we had a fun night with all of these for sure!

Rich dark amber color with a ton of orange highlights mixed in throughout. Tond of haze and a nice two inch foam top that never wanted to settle. The bottom of the glass was riddled with sticky foam once i was done. Really very well done here for sure.

The aroma was tons of sticky, resin like hops all the way. Oodles of pine aroma, mixed in with some rich orange and tangerine. Sight hint of a sweet malty base around here as well. The flavor here was much of the same. Rich pine hops, sticky with a resin like flavor and a good bready and biscuit like base to it. Nice balance here, but still way leaning towards the hops in terms of a definte direction. Nice medium feel was morethen adequatly carbonated and the alachol was soo well hidden, I plowed through this one much quicker then I should have,

Overall this was a solid beer. On the better side of the IPA's I have had as of late.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to Smithflipper for smuggling this back from the US of A and sharing!
A - Dark orange/amber colour with a 2cm off white head that persists.
S - Herbal earthiness and crystal malt character.
T - More earthy notes in the taste and driven by crystal maltiness. Some piney hop undertones.
M - Sticky medium body. Carbonation on the lower side of medium. Bitterness is there but balanced by the malt.
O - A decent beer but not a "typical" DIPA. Still worth trying.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Bottled on date is 5 months prior to tasting. I have to say, this beer is very good with some age. I would love to try it fresh and again with even more aging.

A- Clear deep mahogany with reddish hues. Rocky tan head that lasts, leaving plenty of lacing.

N- Tangy bitter grapefruit, brown sugar, and nutty roasted malt with a subtle undertone of honey.

T- Deep nutty malt with perfectly balanced, clean grassy hop bitterness.The juniper berries are expertly balanced as well. They provide a refreshing accent that blends nicely with the overall flavor of the beer. There is a metallic character that shows up in the middle, which is a little distracting, but not overwhelming. The aftertaste is a balance of sweet grain and grassy hops. The alcohol imparts a pleasant warming quality that becomes noticeable after about half a glass and remains to the finish.

M- Medium bodied, slightly slick and sticky with moderate carbonation and a semi-dry finish.

D- Has the drinkability of a winter warmer. Very full flavored and warming; meant to be savored.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I landed this 22-oz bottle in a trade from Docer. The bottle is notched for the 2nd week of August. It's a little old for a DIPA, so take this review with a grain of salt. However, I think this beer does just fine with age, and I wouldn't normally say that about an IPA. This isn't exactly your typical DIPA. Also, I'm not rating this to "to style" either, because overall I think it's a damn good beer, but it doesn't sit comfortably in the classic DIPA category. So, without any further ado...

A - It pours into a very nice clear-filtered amber brown with a chunky two-finger ivory head that sticks around for a while. There's some nice lacing on the glass. It's much darker than your typical DIPA, in fact, I've seen "black" IPAs that approach this darkness. I personally love the appearance.

S - Earthy and floral hops with a strong molasses and brown sugar. Again it's not typical for a DIPA, but there's nothing off-putting about it.

T - Definately on the maltier side with a lot of molasses, brown sugar, chocolate, and lightly toasted grain. Earthy hop flavors come up later in sip. The hops and sugary malts combine nicely in the aftertaste and linger. I'm not really tasting any of the juniper...maybe it's being masked/overpowered by the hops.

M - I really like the mouthfeel...smooth as silk and just a little chewy. Carbonation is moderate.

D - It's a little strong in both alcohol and flavor to be drinking many of these in a row, but it is a great sipper. This one bomber lasted me over 3 hours.

So the take-home message is this beer is very good, but doesn't settle into the DIPA style very well. The malts are very sweet and probably even just a bit cloying, but I think they meld with the hops just fine. This beer is a more like what I would expect from a barleywine albeit slightly lower ABV, or a hopped-up doublebock. If you've tried Stoudt's Smooth Hoperator or Rock Art's Hell's Bock I think you'll notice a lot of similarities. It's a really good sipper...In fact I sipped on this bomber for over 3 hours through preparing and eating dinner. I recommend pairing this with beef. I drank this with my dinner of roast beef in a red wine and cocoa reduction sauce they went perfectly together.

Unlike most DIPAs I wouldn't be too concerned about drinking this one with some age on it. Froom looking at the other reviews it seems like a pretty malty brew right out of the tank. I'm sure I lost some of the hop flavor in my tasting, but I honestly really liked what I was tasting. In fact, I'd be willing to put more age on it just out of curiousity. Of course I'd also love to try ti fresh. Alas, that's the only bottle I had and probably ever will have. it's a shame I can't buy it in PA.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

From a 22oz bomber into a New Belgium Globe
Don't know if I waited too long but found this late in the season - bought from the Bruery Provisions - bottle says 2nd week of August from the punch tabs in the label.

A - Coffee brown with hints of an orange copper like glow up to the light that can't be seen through with a nice rich tan/light mocha head that left an inch or so of lacing...

S - Big hit of fruit - I thought it was pineapple and citrus, hops, very light malt on the nose for me, more sweet berry/fruit - pineapple (maybe the juniper berries).

T - hops, blends with the malts - light citrus sweetness that didn't come close to what I expected from the nose - some sort of spiciness that equated to similar to nutmeg, with dry hoppy finish and light spiciness that lingered - definitely keeping with the "gin"

M - good carbonation, nice medium body, light with just enough punch to it - nice balance with a little alcohol heat on the finish

D - Harder to find around SoCal at most of the shops not in San Diego (being from the IE) -- bottle is around $9.99-$11.99 at the decent range, but I've seen it as high as $17. I picked mine up at Provisions with a Reserve discount. I felt it not being so available made it a tad lower on drinkability in the sense I'd say PtY isn't very drinkable with kegs tapping in 20 minutes. I felt this was a pretty nice change from a regular IPA/DIPA and I'd definitely have this again winter or not. Similar price range to Sculpin/Hoptimum. It was a sweeter yet bold IPA offering and the appearance would be enough to buy it again just to see someone say "That's an IPA?" since it pours such a coppery brown color and has a unique taste.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Grabbed a bottle to trade and try..

- Pours a red dark clear with creamy scattered foamy head.. leaves a nice thin blanket and some lace...

- Lots of sweet grain, roasty character, brown sugars.. zesty citrus..

- Sweet red ale-like grains, brown sugar, and honey are present, but are light and blended well with the grain. Hard to say this is an IPA.. to me it's a perfect example of a strong ale, or amber imperial.. balanced it is.. bitter hops, grassy.. some citrus flare.. juniper berries are a bit harder to find w/ my tongue.

- Medium bodied, well carbonated, slightly creamy smooth, and bitter chewy..

- Overall a very solid and balanced beer, the drinkability is great because all the flavors meld together excellently as almost all of Midnight Suns beers do.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I agree this skews from the DIPA style, but it's a winter seasonal so no complaints here.

Smells much sweeter and maltier than expected. Complex. Caramel, brown sugar, hops let themselves be known at different points in the draw.

Tastes full bodied red/amber ale at first, with hop resin moving in quickly bringing a lighter acidic/bitter flavor. I *think* I'm getting the juniper/gin notes in the middle of the flavor, but you can't underestimate the power of suggestion. Finish lingers nicely with a very pleasant heat from the ABV.

You know you're drinking a big beer, but the overall balance is very drinkable.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance:

Another great hookup from BA WhiteRascal thanks ! I pulled the cap of the holiday bomber and was greeted with a loud hissing noise and lots of carbonation gasses leaking out. I decided to pour this into my English Imperial pint glass and I went straight on a back off with a slight tilt at the end hoping for a thick head. Ahh excellent, a crackling two finger thick head that hung around for a while. Poured a deep amber brown with some slight haze, deep ruby undertones around the edges. When i give a swirl the viscosity is good leaving long lasting legs of foam on the glass walls.

Smell:

Sweet brown sugar, caramel,toffee, and slight jumiper which gives a faint gin like aroma. West coast citrus hops which are wet and sticky, oranges, mango, but just a little faded for my liking.

Taste:

Not as hoppy as DIPA should be but still very darn good. Loads of sweetness, hop resin, and more earthy flavors in the middle which get mossy as it gets warmer. Some spice from the juniper, maybe some white pepper ? Burnt caramel, long and lingering finish with some heat alcohol running around.

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%

This guy poured a deep amber/red, with an awesome amount of creamy foamy head that retained very well and left tons on the sides of the glass. A half-finger cap of head literally sat on the beer for at least ten minutes.

Smell is immediately what differentiates this from your average DIPA, as smells of honey and malt are much more noticeable than the hops (which aren't weak or anything). Something like brown sugar is also evident, although I wouldn't describe the smell as "sweet", despite all the honey and sugar, etc.

The taste is strange yet satisfying, as clean, citrusy hops start it off, with a gin-like middle (probably from the juniper berries), and a honey sweetness inter-meshed throughout. The more you drink this, the more the juniper gin taste makes itself known, something I personally like, but others may not for the style.

Drinkability is good, and mouthfeel is nice, with perfect carbonation and a pleasant creamy body that doesn't quit being crisp the whole way. Tough to describe beer, but personally I love it.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A: pours out a ruby-brown color with an offwhite head that feel quickly. leaves lacing down the glass.

S: smells of piney and citrus hops and caramel malt. i get a little of the juniper berries at the end.

T: tastes of caramel malt and piney hops, just like the aroma would make you think. i do get some sweetness at the back of the tongue, and then it finishes bitter. there is some spiceness, and hints of juniper berries.

M: medium body with good amounts of carbonation.

D: very drinkable. I could drink a lot of this.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a copper-red color with a fairly thin head that fades pretty quickly, but leaves a light foam over the whole glass. Smell is of strong pine and sweet malt. The brown sugar/honey give this a pretty sweet taste that the citrus/pine from the hops and the juniper go well with. I'd like a little more hop flavor though. Nice carbonation/mouthfeel. Drinkability is pretty good, but it gets a little cloying. A pretty good DIPA overall.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

01/17/2011

On tap at Stone.

A: Slightly hazed dark orange with a fast fading white head.

S: A balance of caramel malt and hops, which are redolent of grapefruit, apricot, and a pine. There's a sugary sweetness here, with some grapefruit rind notes.

T: Lightly sweet caramel malt provides a solid platform for hops, which provide a moderate bitterness. Fruit notes are of orange and grapefruit. Some alcohol is evident in the flavor. There's a sugary character between start and finish that is eventually engulfed by bitterness and alcohol. Finish is dry and bitter with some astringency.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel and some astringency.

Overall: A pretty good Double IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Not your traditional Imperial IPA appearance as this pours a hazy walnut brown with an off white head that is a bit thin and does not last long, but leaves faint lacing throughout the beer.

This Impy packs a pungent hop aroma that includes floral, pine, and possibly even citrus hop aromas. The brown sugar comes through after a few minutes to warm in your hand.

Similar hop character carries forward to the flavor including the same floral and pine. It is here I can decipher some of the juniper berries. As the beer warms, the honey also shows up which really mellows out the hops, however it is always back to the generous and pungent hop punch for this brew.

Medium to full in body with medium carbonation and coating feeling on the palate that leaves a puckering presence.

Great beer with a lot of the traditional characteristics one would expect, yet with some added touches that only enhance the brew.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at The Bruery Provisions.

Into two 2-ounce tasters (my first review of beer in a taster; damn City of Orange ordinances) pours some nice thick head atop an amber body with a tinge of orange. Bubbly, soapy lacing as I tilt. Looks good.

Aromas are highly floral with hints of brown sugar. Smells like a DIPA for sure. Having to search a little bit for deriving said aromas though. It's not highly intense but it works for what is.

A lovely hop bite of citrus, grapefruit, hints of honey, juniper berries dancing about, and all of this yielding a robust blend of flavors and plenty of bitterness on the finish without the malts cloying.

Mouthfeel is substantial, blending a soft thickness with a pine-y consistency.

Overall, a delicious hop bomb with an arsenal of complementary cousins creating a cacophony of complexity. Ok, alliteration aside, I really dig this DIPA for its abundance of hoppiness combined with flavors of brown sugar, honey, and berries. A dessert-like DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

On-tap at The Bruery Provisions, another one to add to the beer name puns, Coho salmon with Santa's saying Ho Ho Ho,

A: Pours a dark amber/red with a full off-white head, good lace.

S: Malt heavy with a lot of brown sugar/maple qualities, piney woodsy hops.

T: Pretty much in barleywine territory which is fine for me, just know what you're getting into. Huge amount of crystal/red malt flavour, notes of honey, with bitter melon, Christmas tree, and grapefruit showing the hop power. Tasty and a good balance.

M: Full-bodied, honey notes round it out for sure, very resiny.

D: A real good beer, a winter IPA for sure; at $12 a bomber though, it's not good enough. Put this at $7, it's a great buy.

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

from notes Poured into a globe glass

A-- Poured a dark golden brown.Medium pour resulted in a two finger light brown head. Very fluffy head, left all sorts of lacing through drinking. Light on carbonation.

S-- Honey and juniper berries jump right out. Get a bit of brown sugar candied grapefruit. Very holiday smelling beer.

T-- Not a huge taste but get juniper, Carmel and a bit of grapefruit.

M-- Get a lot of pine in the mouth, feels very spice like as well. Finishes dry and crisp due to the honey with a little pine finish as well. There is a little bit of brown sugar sweetness in the front.

D-- Quite different I thought with the junpier and honey but it worked well. Like the spice feel to it. ABV was quite well hidden. This was a year old and it held up quite well. Had more of a barleywine quality to this than a DIPA with that much age on it. More malty and spicy than hop driven due to age. Probably really good fresh. Still enjoyed it a lot. Smell was my only real complaint as it was pretty average/ thin.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

an extra from oakedcanuck, thanks buddy!
pours a beautiful ruby color, but murky with a thin head that dissipates quickly. holding this beer up to the light is nothing short of spectacular, just because of the color.
smells just mildly boozy, mixed with brown sugar and juniper, if only a tiny bit. the smidge of sweetness makes it pleasant.
tastes like it smells. i get all the same qualities, plus a decent hop presence. the hops are definitely there, but do not overwhelm at all. i only pick up a little bit of the juniper.
i enjoy drinking this beer but its one of those brews im glad to stop after one. i feel if the hops pulled back just a little bit and let the other ingredients shine, itd be something crazy... but then it might not be an imperial ipa... oh well. yum!

Pours a copper orange colour with thick white head, some lacing on the glass. Smells very malty, lots of caramel with some citrus and a hint of pine. Flavour is sweeter than I expected, almost like a malty east coast IIPA or a barleywine instead of a west coast IIPA. Some small refreshing bitterness. Nice carbonation level. Not a hop bomb, but it is nice for what it is.

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a medium clear brown, copper tints with a short, thin white head.

Nose is lovely hop pine that goes to rich sweet pear and back to pine-great layers of flavors in the nose; complex and nice.

Mouthfeel is medium creamy, full and rich.

The nose, mouth and flavors of this beer improved significantly when got to about room temperature. Strongly suggest letting Midnight Sun beers warm up a bit before trying. This beer acts very much like a wine in that it improves greatly with warmer temps and a bit of oxygen. Might even want to open and simply leave open for a while before drinking, such is the nature of the improvement.

Flavors become bold, rich and delicious with a bit of time in the glass. Rich bold bitter malt, carmel and toffee. Rich, bold and delicious burnt toast and biscuits with sweet carmel undertones and front palate that go to a rich and assertive grapefruit/pine bright bitter finish.

Excellent giving it some time.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a moderate amount of off-white head. This is the sort of appearance I generally fear when it comes to an IPA.

S: There is a definite herbal note right away from the juniper berries. Some grassy and floral hop notes that a lot of the hoppy beers from Midnight Sun have. Mildly sweet, mainly of caramel and molasses.

T: The sweetness is mild to moderate and takes the form of toffee and molasses. Very grassy and herbal hoppiness with a touch of pine. The juniper stands out quite strongly, here.

M: The body is medium with a fairly high carbonation and a bitter, dry finish.

D: I had my doubts about this one, and they were confirmed. Let's keep the juniper berries in the gin and out of the beer. That's not to say this was bad, just wasn't what I look for in an IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to 5000 for sending this beer my way.

The beer pours a dark amber color with a white head. The aroma is pine, resiny hops, honey and brown sugar. The flavor is very similar. I get a lot of caramel malt and pine hops - but it is accented by brown sugar, honey and resiny hops. Medium bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice Double IPA.

Cohoho Imperial IPA from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.