Gluttony | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

Read the review

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

GLUTTONY Triple IPA overindulges the palate with profound malt, powerful hops and abundant body. Its deep decadent golden orange color presents an appetizing invitation for extravagant enjoyment. Its aroma entices with citrus, pine and alcohol while the flavor provides a smorgasbord of sweet malt, fresh tangerine/grapefruit and a resinous hop character that lingers well beyond the finish.

Added by beersabound on 02-24-2007

Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 89
4.77/5  rDev +17.2%

22 ounce bottle, $9.99 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK on 1-11-2008. (Notably, they currently have ALL SEVEN of the Seven Deadly Sins Series for sale in the MSBC stand-alone cold case!)

Appearance: deep bright orange, off-white to very light tan head, dense, light to moderate lacing.

Aroma: hops! pine, citrus, tangerine, orange.

Taste: full thick sweet HOPS! again, lots of citrus and sweet tangy fruit: tangerine, orange, tangerine and little bits of grapefruit and possibly pine. Damn delicious. Just what I want a beer to be. The malt backbone and alcohol level back up the hop punch in a perfectly balanced way. A slightly perfumey-sweet hop spice presence.

Mouth: slightly thick and warm with alcohol (though not nearly what one might expect with 10.5% ABV) and lingers long with hops.

Overall: the best of the Seven Deadly Sins Series by far, IMO. I missed this initial release of Gluttony, and haven't been really amazed with any of the others (though I liked Sloth quite a bit, and Lust a whole lot.)

I'm okay with saying it: I LOVE this stuff. Delicious. Out of balance for any reasonable beer, but c'mon people: this is being advertised as a "Triple IPA", a style that doesn't even really exist, to warn you that unless you really, really, really love HUGE hops, and not just in a "but I really like Victory Hop Devil" sort of way, you really shouldn't lay out the $10 bucks for this one. If you really do love hops, though, go ahead and lay it out: unless the bottle has been badly treated (and FWIW, I have no great faith in Brown Jug Warehouse) I guarantee you'll be happy. My guarantee? (and no, I don't work for MSBC in any way: see my reviews of their other beers) If you're not delighted, tell me why, send me the link to your BA profile, then come to my house in Anchorage, and I'll break something special out of the cellar. Bring a designated driver or a taxi phone number, 'cause I ain't driving you home.

4.73/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best IPA I have ever had from any Alaska brewery. This one should be had fresh. Seems like the low scores came from drinking old beer. Don't pass this one up if you can get it fresh.

4.71/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a tulip glass straight from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance: Semi cloudy ber body with an oranges tinted off-white head rising to maybe a quarter of an inch. Drops with perfect even lacing after a few sips, looks like a gem.

Smell: Sweet citrus, tangerines and pink grapefruit skin.

Taste: Palate crushing malts, heavy hops with strong alcohol after taste. Citrus skin is very evident with a sweet malt finish. I feel words can't describe the beer except that I am happy that I am not sharing it.

Mouth: Strong hoppy finish...it feels like certain American strong ales I've had but beyond more potent. Little sour at the end but finishes a caramel scotch sweet.

Overall: Honestly and I will use my words to most modest context but this is a savage beast of a beer and can honestly sit with my favorite beer of all time. Maybe the batch varies time to time, or maybe my palate is used to animals like this. I have one beer in mind which carries itself like this one which is a notch more smoother hence the higher (and perfect rating). Drink up and enjoy..Salud!

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Midnight Sun 22 Gluttony Enjoyed out of my Delirium Tulip with my bro..
I've got say I am huge Midnight Sun fan, probably my favorite brewery in the country right now.

Appearance: Full three finger head. Fades slowly. Before you even taste it you can see this one is going to be a hop monster... Very thick hop haze. Nice cloudy ruby color.
Maintained it's head right down to the very last sip.

Aroma: Big bold hop monster. This one is definetly a big boned PNW triple IPA

Flavor: Hops off the top... hops in the middle... and the a nice long finish that mellows out into a very bitter finish that makes you want to bat your tongue off the roof of you mouth. It hides it's alcohol content well.

Mouth Feel: Maybe just slightly under carbonated... but hardly enough to even notice. Nice body... clings to your mouth.

Drink ability: Gluttony... The name of the beer really says it all. I could enjoy this one a regular basis.. If MNSB would every start shipping to Boise! But for now I will just have to enjoy them when I can.

This is one I wish I had case or two of in the cellar so could pull one out every now and then and enjoy while watching the Boise State Bronco's kick ass on Saturdays. I would definitely recommended this one to any and all.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A rare imperial IPA from Midnight Sun which claims to possess a mighty 200 IBUs. This should be interesting... in my tulip at cellar temperature.

No denying it. This is a pretty beer. A nice little cap of tan froth sits above a deep sunset orange, almost red color. Radiant as the glow of a setting sun, it is.

My first whiff impression is... wow, this is fruity! Tropical fruits like mango, pineapple, and of course some juicy citrus, are very forward. Fairly floral. And smells like spicy hops too.

The flavor does NOT disappoint. It gushes fruitiness of all the kinds in the aroma, and then kicks fully into hops gear. What is hops gear, you may wonder? It's like driving 100 mph through a field of hops on a motorcycle with no helmet, hop cones smacking you in the face left and right until you no longer know what UN-astringency IS. Hop flavor? Check. Bitterness? Gigantic check. Dankness? Checkaroo...

The feel is pleasantly full and carries the jumbo hoppiness of this ale just like Atlas hoists the heavens. Hoist up that heavenly, oh-so-heavy hoppiness, you titan-sized, triple IPA!

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

thanks to AKBelgianBeast for this extra, pored from a 22 oz bottle into my 2006 dvval tulip glass

this is my first tripal ipa, and a damm fine one at that, this one screamsof flral hops in boath taste and smell. this one is the purfict combanation of sweet malt and HUGH bitter hops at the end. i consider myself blessed to have had one of these!!! you guys from up their "suck", no i am just kiding because i wish that this brewery was in my back yard, this is the first beer from alaska and this brewery for me, if the rest of their brews are as good as this one than thay are all top shelf

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

This is the first of the Seven Deadly Sins series. It's labeled as a Triple IPA and that is appropriate. It's got a gold color with an amber center and a tight stark white head that leaves a thick lace as it recedes. The aroma is strong with a pine, grapefruit, citrus, and some alcohol. The brewery write up said the bittering and flavoring hops were the same and it was simcoe, amarillo and another one I don't remember. The flavor lasts forever with enough malt sweetness to get some pineapple type goodness from it. When I lick my lips a while after drinking it its still very sweet and hoppy. The bitterness is strong (200 IBUs), resinous, delightful, and inudates your mouth. Share a bottle with a friend and have it when you are done tasting other beers.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark orange color, a bit cloudy, and with a nice head. Good looking beer!

Aromas are strong... resin, pine, and a hint of alcohol are noted. This is a great smelling beer.

Flavor is crisp and dry up front, then the taste is thick and full bodied. Upon the first sip you notice the dry quality, then the malts kick in with a firm and sturdy slightly sweet and creamy backbone. The beer finishes with a resin and pine like hop kick. Excellent tasting beer!

Mouthfeel is top notch. The thick and roundness of this beer is well done.

Drinkability is way up there. This is easily one of the best DIPAs I have ever tasted. Well done Midnight Sun! I am impressed! Too bad this beer wasn't more widely distributed, it is a winner.

Many thanks to beersabound for sending me this one.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

This is another great Midnight Sun beer brought to me by AKbelgianbeast. He knows how to pick em.

A- This is a nice looking beer. A hazy golden amber with a nice two finger head that is chunky with a good mix of large and small bubbles tightly packed together.

S- The hops are sweet and tangy. Nice wonderful citric fruity smell. This is a great smelling beer.

T- This is almost as good, if not better tasting then Pliny the Elder. The hops kick some serious taste bud ass. Grapefruit and lemon are having an orgy in my mouth. Throw in some malty goodness and thats one sexy package. The hop taste is strong, yet balanced out well by the malt. The bottle says Triple IPA, and this is very balanced. This is a great beer, another home run for Midnight Sun.

M- Nice combination of thickness and carbination. They play well in the sandbox together.

D- Hell yes.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

AKBelgianBeast hooked me up with delicious brew. I used my Mad Elf Chalice glass to pour it into.

A - Pours 2 fingers of thick off-white head. It has great retention and leaves nice amounts of lacing. It is a very dark orange that you can't see through.

S - A very powerful aroma comes off this beer you can smell it right away as it is being poured without having to be close to the beer. There is a lot of citrus and piny hops. The strength of the hops in the aroma lets you know this definitely isn't your ordinary IPA or imperial IPA for that matter.

M - A medium bodied beer that feels nice and slick from the hops oil. It feels like the inside of your mouth is slightly scorched after it goes down.

T - Loads of flavor, begins with the sweet malt which blends beautifully into the citrus and grapefruit flavor. It ends with the piny hops with a note of sweetness reappearing. It also leaves a nice bitterness that lingers after swallowing. There is a definite warming sensation in the throat and stomach from the high alcohol content which is nicely hidden.

A great extreme hoppy beer that lives up to the "triple" in the name. If you love hops and are ever near Anchorage, Alaska this is a must have.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

Whoa! This beer is labeled as a triple IPA, and I can see why. It pours a transparent brown/red. Great head with wonderful lace. Nose is hoppy as hell with some sugar and flower notes. The taste is kind of sweet at first with thick mouthfeel, then as the mouthfeel thins and it goes down you go on a ride of hops. A very long, steady ride. It seems like the hop flavor is weak at first but then it keeps on creeping and creeping up throughout the finish. when you breathe in again, more hops abound. Very good hop flavor, and smooth, caramely mouthfeel. Drinkability I would say could be better, but for the love of god you poured a triple IPA, you should have expected that. fine offering from m sun, the alaskan IPA masters.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Much thanks to warmstorage for this one!

This "triple" IPA pours a beautiful reddish amber color with a great 2 finger fluffy white head. This settles to leave some lacing on the glass as I drink more and more of this delicious elixir. The smell upon hitting the nose actually reminds me a bit of Hopsickle with an excellent resiny quality. There is much pine, but a definite touch of grapefruit in the hops. This just smells juicy. Love it.

So, how does the taste measure up? Quite well, I must say. The hops stand nicely in the forefront, greeting you with a resiny pine hoppiness that gives way to some juicy citric hops. The toffee/caramel sweetness gets in just a few words - enough to give the hops some background voice. Actually, the malt is altogether pretty thick - it's just that the hops are strong enough to stay ahead of that. The finish is nicely bitter, and this bitterness lingers for quite a bit. I think this is one of the best tasting DIPAs outside of California actually. Then again, I love them unbalanced toward the hops, so that may be part of the reason.

The body of this beer is everything I want in this style - rich, thick - yet with enough carbonation and hoppiness to keep it far from being syrupy. As for drinkability? Well, I'm having no problem with that.

A highly recommended hoppy and strong DIPA. If you enjoy Hopsickle, Hop 15, Devil Dancer or the like, try to get this beer and give it a try.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours clear copper with a slight chill haze. A dense, white head built to a full two inches and remained for several minutes. The high krauesen of foam slowly receded to a partial skim coat on the surface, revealing exaggerated strings of lacy froth.
Aromatics are floral and pungent. Tangerines and peaches make thier presense known, as well as spruce oil-laced grapefruit. A promise of alcohol comes forward under the tropical resins, and a light maltiness follows through.
The mouthfeel is crisp, drying, and resinous. Sticky and sappy.
The pallet is dominated by aggresive hopping. The bitterness is as subtle as a buzzsaw on the tongue, but does not cross into harsh territory. Loads of hopping in the flavor of the brew also. Heavy on the grapefruit, with the peach/ pear/ orange character in the background. Maltiness is at a minimum, but still adding a decent backbone to the weight of the hops.
Finishes with an extremely lingering crisp dryness, grapefruit pith, warming alcohols and a tongue-scraping bitterness.
A huge IIPA from Midnight Sun, and damn fresh.
Big thanks to Timmcd64 for hooking me up, once again!

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Twenty two ounce bottle that has been cellared for the better part of a year. Served cold out of the fridge, but allowed to warm up throughout the tasting. Poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 07/17/2008.

A big thanks again goes out to Frank for this one. This is night three of my seven deadly sins. I am doing them all in a row, on seven consecutive nights. Last night I was tired and was only having one beer, so I thought I would destroy my palate with this monster. The pour was lovely. A deep, rich, amber color, which was highlighted with nice accents of orange. Lots of haze here as well, with an almost opaque cloudiness to it. Nice two finger head which came up quickly but then faded down to only a thin solid quarter inch layer with decent side glass lace.

The aroma was very nicely balanced, owing that to the cellar time no doubt. Rich piney hops were evident almost immediately, but a subtle sweetness had worked its way in now as well. Really nicely put together here, especially for 200 IBU's. As it warmed nice floral citrus like notes started coming through. The flavor was more of the same, nothing mouth shattering like I would have thought; this has mellowed nicely, and really become a very solid big beer. Loads of sticky, resin infused hops that just made your lips stick to your teeth, but once this moved through a nice biscuit like, bready malt base pokes around to sweeten it up a bit, providing a nice touch of depth here. Fantastic medium bodied ale, this was quite thicker then I would have expected, but had just enough carbonation to keep from becoming really syrup like. A good sipper, it took me a bit to finish this one off, but I was happy to do it. Easily finished off the bottle though and would love to get some more as that long drawn out and dry pine laced finish was just a perfect way to finish my night.

Overall this was my favorite so far of the three in the series I have tried, but I would have figured that based on my normal preferences. Still though this is more then a solid offering here and I would love to get some more of it. A quality ale from start to finish.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Holy hops! A Triple IPA that lives up to the billing and then some. In fact this makes Devil Dancer seem balanced. It reminds me of a just bottled Old Crusty. Totally untamed and over the top.

Appearance is copper but cloudy. What the hell? Held up to the light I swear I see partially disolved hops, though I know it's just yeast in suspension from this beer's long journey to me. Light whispy egg-shell white Brussel's lace is deposited around the glass with each sip.

Smell is all hops -- 200 ibus of hops in all their glory. Grapefruit and pine dominate. Maybe it's disolved pine car fresheners I see in this beer. Is that a flat green tree floating by? A whiff of tangerine can be caught as well.

And guess what? Yep, this beer's taste is all about the hops. Significantly bitter with just a touch of hot alcohol and malt sweetness. You know there's a ton of malt used in this brew by its 10.5 percent alcohol but you have to search to find it.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with a slight stickiness on the lips which could be from the hops just as much as from the malt.

To me, this is as far as you can take an American IPA. This beer has pushed the hop threshold to the limit and it certainly lives up to its name. This is certainly more than one requires (as is the very definition of gluttony), but when you want to indulge your hop fix, you'd be hard pressed to find another beer that could do it better. That said, one and done at a sitting is certainly the case with this one

Thanks Tim (Beersabound) for the chance to experience another winner from Midnight Sun.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Burnt orange, slightly cloudy, with two fingers of cream colored head That lasts and settles as a pretty soapy layer.

S- Tons of caramel, Piney and citrusy hops, excellent balance and one of the best noses on an imperial IPA that I've had.

T- Very sweet and caramelly up front, with crystallized malt and then an immensely bitter aftertaste, where the hop character comes in wonderfully. A little of the alcohol is evident, but the whole impression is one of sweet maltiness up front and then millions of IBU's :-) yum.

M- Medium bodied with low carbonation and a dry, astringent finish.

D- This is the hophead's delight. Wonderful. I'd love many more of them.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

22oz bottle acquired in trade with puzzl (thanks!).

Poured a medium orange/amber color with an averaged sized off white head. Initial pour was crystal clear with the subsequent pours clouding and included floaters. Aromas of melons, citrus, pine, and caramel. Tastes of citrus, lots of grapefruit, pine, and just a trace of caramel. This one was one hop bomb (which is not a bad thing for me). Nicely bitter with a very light malt balance. Light alcohol in the finish but not giving way that it was 10+%.

Notes from 7/18/07

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

So this bottle I'm drinking is a year old. I apologize to the beer gods for accidental cellaring and DIPA for a year. (This bottle was from the second batch.) Amazingly, this beer has held up very well. It's almost as good as it was much fresher

Poured into a Troegs pint glass quite cold. Opaque and a dark golden color. Modest head. The hops are huge. Both in the smell and taste. (As you'd expect for 200 IBUs.) But the malts fight really do fight back. There's a big carmel maltiness that is just enough to balance the hops. It's resiny and pretty thick (with just enough carbonation). And it's got a finish that goes a long way, leaving you to savor the tasty hop long after the beer has moved on.

This is of course a huge beer at 10.5% abv and enough hops to kill a small mammal. You want to savor it for a while and not rush through it. One bomber is surely enough. But the alcohol is well hidden, and the taste keeps welcoming you back.

Thanks to warmstorage and timmcd64 for trading me this Alaskan ambrosia.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Triple IPA, eh? Pours a dusky orange-copper with light around the edges. Tall, frothy, lacy, off-cream head towers above. Looks great! Very strong, pungent nose is detectable from a foot away. Raw hop cones, hop oil, and herbal bitterness exude from the glass. Slightly metallic, with a strong floral component as well. Sugar cookie malt barely cuts through.

Taste is absolutely jam-packed with hop flavor and bitterness. Piney, resinous, herbal, metallic, pineapple, grapefruit--they are all in there. Some malty caramel/toffee sweetness and fruit come through, but just a smidge. Numbing, warming, tastebud killing hop finish drives the point home: this beer is loaded with hops!! Wow. This may be the hoppiest beer I have ever tried. Medium-bodied with a slightly sticky feel. Gentle carbonation. After 22 oz. of this my tongue is going to need a break.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz received in a trade with AKBelgianBeast ... mega huge thanks. Shared with my trading partner .. mine poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Nice 2 1/2 finger sticky sticky rocky sorta yellowish off white head... brew itself is hop hazed orange.

Aroma is a citrus hoppy bombshell. Coats the inside of my nostrils with grapefruit essence... not much else... sorta smells of sugar cookies.

Flavor is bracing bitter and has more than enough sweetness.. big bold and hoppy and completely unapologetic. Orange peel with a little bit of pine with a thick and very slick/oily pale malt mouthfeel... finish is dry orange peel that lingers for long after your sip. I can only sorta ding it for drinkability ... I am happy I had SAS to try it with.

Easily one of the best DIPA's I've had.. I can only imagine what it was like fresh off the tap... Oh wow would it have had a shit-ton of hop flavors. I don't think anyone is going to accuse this one as being "balanced".. but in this case it's okay because I am definitely a hop Glutton. As it warms, it sorta reminds me of Stone 10th when it was fresh... or even a fresh Hopsickle.

I can't thank AKBelgianBeast enough for this trade... Frank is without a doubt one of the best traders out there... For now .... 1 Sin down ... 6 more on my path.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Fricking Wow! is the response from my friend and I. Actual conversation:

"Its got an orange dense hue to it"
"Like alcoholic Orange Oxyclean"

"Has a honey smell to it"
"Yeah, honey, alcohol, and piney hops, like a pine cone soaked in moonshine bleeding honey"

"It tastes sweet for something so hoppy"
"It loses its sweetness and rapes your taste buds with hops"

"I kinda like it"

Thanks to the AKBeast for the opportunity.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Ebenezer's glass.

A: Hazy brown-yellow with heavy lacing and light head.

S: Incredibly fruity. Sweet mangoes. Candied pineapples. I can take a guess at the hop bill.

T/M: This is GOOD. The forefront is fruity -- much akin to the smell -- and sweet, but the endtaste is relentlessly bitter. Holy mother of god, they claim 200IBU (which must be a joke), but there are SUPER hops here. Aftertaste is citrus and dry mouth.

O: 'Triple' IPAs? Seriously? What are we coming to, people? Is there no longer any appreciation for the balanced beer? the good beer? the crowd-pleaser? Are we now in the generation of more-blistering equalling more-better? I think so, but I hope not. I'm not sure what possible niche this beer is meant to occupy, other than to give self-defined 'hopheads' another-different-crazier thrill, but it seems...gratuitous. Does the world need this beer? Hell no. Is it good? Objectively, no. Do I like it? Hell yes.

Photo of
4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz. bottle thanks to Grumpy!

Poured a hazy, orange/gold color. Covered by a modest, sand colored head, creamy in consistency. Some lacing, legs don't show very well (surprisingly).

Scent included caramel, wheat bread and peaches. Pine resin. Spicy/peppery.

Taste was much more bitter than sweet. Bitterness hung around well into the aftertaste - grass and pine. Touch of sweet in the middle, peaches and toffee. Not much, if any, citrus. Very well balanced for what it is.

Medium to full body. Low to medium carbonation. Not as dry as I expected, this wasn't a problem.

Very tasty. No issue with barleywine vs. DIPA confusion. Great bittering, but not overdone. Not sure it's a triple IPA (whatever that is anyway) but damn fine!

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: deep amber orange and opaque - looks as smooth as its gonna feel - fat head of frothy and fluffy foam will leave lightly draped laces down the glass

S: big on rich tropical fruits like papaya and mango; some lighter citrus edges and some darker pine undertones

T: the plush fruits from the nose are all present, but rounded off with a barrage of bittering hops, giving a sweet and numbing experience similar to Molotov Cocktail and other fruit and hop-forward big beers

M: smooth and lush, full-bodied, carbonation a dull fuzz amid the bittering hops; sweet and bitter flavors linger; some chewiness and slight stickiness

O: a real decadent triple/double IPA, full of flavors and bitterness - not for the light drinker, but surprisingly drinkable for its heft and abv.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Alas, another mystery box item! 22 oz. bomber (no freshness) poured into the SN pint glass...

four fingers of sticky tan head with great legs and amazing lacing...the head is gorgeous with great retention that lasts throughout the whole sitting. Hazy amber body...

Loads of sweet pine up front with a slight citrus kick in the back. Some burnt caramel...very barleywine-esque with notes of molasses and leather.

A very sweet mellowed out pine bomb. Lots of pine and sweet caramels. Very balanced on the malt side that leads to a sweet yet bitter finish. Some dark fruits and smoked wood...

Smooth and creamy...but a bit low on carbonation, but it still feels good.

Definitely a sipper if there was one. Be weary though, you might forget to sip...it's that good.

I've heard that this beer is at least a year old, and I think I might like it better this way. It was more like a barleywine, and a damn fine one at that. 22 oz. might be a bit much, however...but an amazing beer to seek out.

Gluttony from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.