Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

BREWtality - Espresso Black Bier | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

BREWtality - Espresso Black BierBREWtality - Espresso Black Bier
4.14/5
Exceptional
BREWtality - Espresso Black BierBREWtality - Espresso Black Bier

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Combining jet black color with incredibly smooth texture and decadent coffee flavor, BREWTALITY breaks the expectations of both rich espresso and dark beer to create a whole 'nuther beast. While brutal in alcoholic strength, this biggie beautifully showcases its roasted malt and coffee flavors without bringing on bitterness and bite. This is the first of two lagers in the series.

Added by AKBelgianBeast on 03-01-2009

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Pours a coal black color with a film of a head that leaves a few dots and dashes behind

Smell: Black bread, dark fruit and coffee

Taste: Roasty, but surprisingly sweet, up front, with a molasses, mint and a brown sugar character; coffee, black bread and dark fruit arrive in the middle but the sweetness returns, after the swallow, and continues into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I was expecting something quite different when I saw this was listed as a Schwarzbier, but the sweetness here is just a bit overwhelming

eyes...
low sizzle, cocoa themed foam that only rises about 1 finger and settles in rather quickly, lacing is quite good with a nice sheet of uniform microbubbles, absolutely pitch black, light doesn't bother trying to pass through lest it meet with the same fate as the woeful denver broncos... nice looking brew

nose...
jet black coffee -yeah! one of the better coffee aromas I have sniffed on a beer in some time, really deep espresso tone, the malts are detectable but man the coffee just kicks you in the face, and I love it

taste etc...
a decent coffee taste, I was expecting more based on the nose, this drinks almost like a mild milk stout with not as sweet a finish, some mild bitterness actually trails through the whole swig and then at the tail end you get some coffee flavor but mostly near sweet chocolate malt,
a nice beer but nothing so great

verdict?
a bit underwhelming for me. not bad but there is no brutality to brewtality (yeah... I thought of that all by myself). This is worth checking out but is no means the best coffee brew around, but to be fair I like bitter ass burnt as shit coffee, like only starbucks dark roast or brooklyn gorilla stuff... so keep that in mind when I talk about coffee, I drink it with maybe some milk, usually skim and no sugar, that doesn't make me bad ass, it is just the way I like coffee

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was surprised by this beer. I was expecting, based on description and reviews, a strong coffee ale ... well, a strong coffee lager, that is.

What I tasted instead was something fairly sweet, chocolatey or molasses, with a bit of coffee if you looked for it. The sweetness overtakes and dominates the espresso too much.

I usually don't put sugar in my coffee or my lattes, so the sweet aspect didn't work for me.

The beer looks good, smells good, and it is pretty good overall. Just not quite to my taste, and not comparable to other coffee beers I've had.

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No date spotted.

A: Pours jet black with a mid-sized and fizzy light brown head. Head fizzes out somewhat quickly but with decent retention. Moderate splotchy lacing.

S: Interesting aroma. Lots of burnt coffee bean with a strong dark fruit element.

T: Similar to the aroma. A rush of earthy coffee beans with lots of dark fruits. Raisins and cherries primarily. A touch chocolatey in the finish with a constant sweet dark fruit flavor everywhere. Finish has more dark fruits lingering with that earthy coffee aspect back in.

M: Medium bodied, smooth and easy drinking.

O: Interesting brew, a schwarzbier with coffee. Very fruity, very earthy. Feels way lighter and smoother than 9.7%. Easy drinking for a big coffee beer, I think the lagering process is responsible for that. Almost no bitterness at all which is surprising given the coffee. I give it extra points for mouthfeel and drinkability but I wasn't really a fan of the flavors on the whole. Not sure if the coffee works quite right in a schwarzbier. Maybe I prefer the bitterness of your typical coffee beer? Not really sure.

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours black, looks thick. There was a small near finger of dark tan head. No lace. Roasted nose, espresso and coffee, and some slight dark fruits. The taste is sweet. Some bitter, roasted coffee notes, dark fruits. Bit of noticeable alcohol. The feel is medium, somewhat thin. I guess it's pretty substantial for the style.
Unique, interesting, tasty, but not mind-blowing.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Reviewed from notes, thanks to Alex for bringing this. Poured into a tulip, color is opaque brown with a small tan head, good retention and some lacing. Smell is chocolate, espresso, raw grains and molasses. Bitter coffee dominates the flavor followed by some hops, roasted malts, some sweetness, and finishes with more coffee. Medium bodied with a light carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, maybe a bit high on the ABV for the style, although the alcohol was not present in the flavor or smell. Probably a bit more coffee bitterness then I would have liked for the style. A good beer but probably not the best schwarz I have had (although it definitley falls in my top 5 coffee lagers, thanks again Alex!).

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

22oz bottle poured into tulip. Part of duct tape surprise bottle share at Beachwood. Very dark, nearly opaque brown body with a half-finger tan head that leaves patchy lacing. Aroma is roasted malts, coffee, and cocoa. Taste is slightly sweet initially with molasses and dark fruit flavors then an espresso roast bitterness follows. Medium-full body, sticky and thick texture, soft carbonation, and a dry, bitter finish.

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Pitch black and tranquil, lacking much in the way of head.

S: Sweet roasted malt, slight coffee, vanilla, and easily distinguishable lager yeast.

T: Flavor matches closely with smell, with lots of honey sweet dark malt and light molasses. Malt is less roasted than in the smell and this seems more like a dopplebock to me. Coffee is pretty restrained without much bitterness. Finishes with light lager bite.

M: Medium body and a slightly sticky texture. Carbonation is on the light side, which works for me.

I like sweet, but this might have been a bit too sweet for me. Would really have liked to have tried this right after it came out as it sounds like it had a much better coffee presence. But as always, a very good beer from MS and one of the better black lagers I've tasted in awhile.

BREWtality - Espresso Black Bier from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.