Moscow | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

MoscowMoscow

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

First brewed as part of our 2011 World Tour series, MOSCOW Rye Russian Imperial Stout is a hefty, opaque black liquid that pours slowly and soulfully into your snifter. A high percentage of spicy rye and roasted dark malts create a dense, chewy yet elegant winter wonderland of flavors. And from AK we say: Let it Snow…in Moscow.

Added by Rifugium on 12-31-2011

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a deep, dark, oily pitch black w/ a 1-finger reddish brown head that sticks around, settling to a nice cap of foam.

Aroma is chocolate/cocoa, deep bitter roasted malt, dark fruit, molasses.

Taste is likewise a complex blend of dry cocoa, roasty malt, and bitter chocolate. Alcohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel is thick and coating, viscous, but still somehow manages a semi-dry finish.

Overall a really outstanding RIS, one of the best I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to HuskyinPDX for this bottle. When I saw it was coming out again I was like "Dawg, big stout, rye, wassup? In like Flynn." 22 oz. bottle with an amusing AK saying on it split with my wife.

The pour is just the color of the devil's soul, with a strangely persistent head that refuses to lie down & die. Even the nose is thick, roast, sweet malt that borders on maple syrup, & a whiff akin to black licorice. Smells like a beast.

Moscow: a beer I can't review, because I only have use of one hand while repeatedly slugging it out of the glass. A sweet, mild smokiness greets the palate with a high-five, then sweetness sweeps me off my feet. The rye comes as a mild spiciness that lends depth & brightness in the middle of the darkness, really goosing the stout. Dash of hop bitterness & licorice closes things out. Big, thick, oily, & creamy as hell. Yet I could drink it until Beelzebub rang the dinner bell...though I supose I wouldn't be allowed to enjoy anything this fine.

Wow. All I can think is, Victory! Adding the rye to what is obviously a fine base beer was a stroke of dark genius. This is an excellent beer that could hold its head high among the elite stouts in the world. I miss you already.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had at the Brewery, 12oz

This beer looks epic in the glass with a slight brown head, but the kicker is the way the liquid sticks to the side of the glass when you are drinking it. the smell is inviting with baking coco, some dark fruit, and a rye spice. The taste is quite bitter for an IRS to me, but not hop bitter, bitter coco flavors dominate with a bit of rye in the finish. the mouthfeel is very viscous like an IRS should be, not as much as the other MS Berserker... but close. Overall a very gorgeous beer that delivers on all the IRS flavors, with an interesting twist.

Moscow from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.