3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine | Midnight Sun Brewing Co.

3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine

Midnight Sun Brewing Co.
Alaska, United States
midnightsunbrewing.com

Style: American Barleywine

In this ridiculously wonderful world we've created, we make beer- one batch at a time. As the scientist in us demands, we number said batches. And while every batch of our beer is special for us – providing a fresh start on a new day, establishing an experimental opportunity, bringing together our minds and spirits, projecting our company forward – each batch also scores time.

To celebrate our 3000th batch, we present a Belgian-style Barley Wine, simply called 3,000. Luscious layers of flavor begin with barley, wheat and rye malts followed by triple-hoppping with a single varietal. Fermentation, using three distinct yeast strains, achieves complexity in character and, of course, alcohol. This special batch was transferred into red wine oak barrels for eight months to age gregariously yet gracefully. After bottle-conditioning, this exclusive beer is ready for immediate enjoyment although it can be lovingly cellared for future festivities.

As we release 3,000 in January 2013, we hoist our glasses in thankful toast to YOU – our dearest friends in beer!

Added by MasterSki on 12-29-2012

3.9

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a very dark brownish color, it was pretty hard to pick out anyother hues or highlights since it was poured/consumed in the dark next to a campfire. However, it did provide a nice tannish colored cap with decent head retention and lacing.

S: A sour oxidation like note on the nose, with some big fruits and candy notes. A little booze sting on the nostrils, It's not really overpowering or promising but it smells sweet and "fruity" so lets give it a whirl....

T: Initial tartness from some cherries, grape skins and oxidation....It's backed up by a caramel and toffee candy sugar body. Some waves of oxidation like notes appear and disappear. The finish is sweet, dry and odd with sordove a lingering tartness and booze

M: Medium body, well carbonated, easy to drink with a touch of sweetness and oxidation.

O: Not what I was expecting. Sometimes to much of a good thing can result in a mess. While this beer was not bad it was a letdown in a way. The oxidation notes on the taste smooth out after it warms and airs out.

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Was lucky enough to have this on tap at the brewery this week, 6oz. serving

My first impression of this beer was excellent. From the woody stone fruit smell (reminiscent to me of ripe plums toasted on an oak campfire) to the blast of cordial-like alcoholic sweetness (reminiscent of a cherry wine) with a finish that was very vinous indeed. The look of this beer is just as epic, slight tan head with a very dark rich almost purple hue. maybe its this color that makes me think this is a beer for a king... The thick viscous quality of this beer also fits wonderfully (and like many of the dark beers from MS) this one truly feels epic all the way down your throat. My only gripe with this beer was that it was very sweet almost a cordial beer, but it fits nicely as a special after dinner sipper without a doubt.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pour at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a murky dark orange-brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, dark fruit, and red wine aromas. Taste is much the same with sour fruit, malt, and red wine flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of woody bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that shows a better barrel aged presence in the aroma to me.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

She's a good looker, but, of course, that is of little consequence in the big picture. It's dark brown like a thicker porter, but not inky black like a stout. The head is more brown than tan, fizzes into a couple of more inches then fades to a finger or so. This bit then fades very gradually, leaving a good deal more than film on top as I sip slowly. The lacing is bountiful.

The smell hit me from some distance upon opening. Impressive. It's a delicious aroma that I suspect will improve. The oak and and a sourness, that I assume (perhaps incorrectly) is from the wine barrel are prominent if not overly dominant. A rich malty sweetness gets into the mix, and every now and then I get a strong enough whiff of caramel to confidently identify it. The booze is evident but it isn't as sinus opening as many big beers. The sourness that I suspect is from the wine could be from one of the yeast strains? Whatever, it is somewhat reminiscent of cherries. There is also a vanilla/chocolaty essence that appears occasionally (I've been sipping and sniffin for nearly 2 hours and we have a ways to go yet before we conclude this sensory experience). Overall, it smells well, gells togethers fairly well now, and I suspect it will get even better after some rest down cellar.

Much like the nose but the sour/cherry element is somewhat more pronounced. If I could wave a magic wand and tone it down just a bit I probably would, but that's not to say I don't like it at all. Just that the caramel sweetness that I am fond of would be more of a player if the sourness was less. But that caramel richness is there and balances quite well. It tastes great now, and I believe it will get better.

Well carbonated, gentle warming, and a rich, luscious, viscous, and velvety smooth texture. Mouthfeel generally isn't a very important category to me, but I recognize the exceptionally nice feel of this one. There is some very gentle bitterness on the back end.

This is one of the best beers I've had from MSBC since Gabe left to start Anchorage Brewing. It is no M, but it is very good now and I predict, again, that it will improve. Thanks to Robert, the manager of the only retail beer store in my remote town in SE Alaska, for finding and getting a case of this long after it was supposedly all gone.!

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Mike for the opportunity. 22oz. bomber into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a big, frothy 3 finger dark cream colored head with excellent retention. Beer is a super dark, almost opaque mahogany. Lacing is thick and layered with excellent stick. A superb looking beer all the way around.

Nose smells like a soured dark beer all the way around. Sour wine notes mix with caramel, toffee, brown sugar and a touch of roast. Some wet wood and burnt malt lingering in the background. Deep and aromatic. But the combination of flavors is a touch odd.

Opens with some tart fruit wine notes. Caramel and toffee sweetness linger nicely in the background and play oddly with the tart/sweet grape and cherry present. A little weird and not at all "Belgian-y". Brown sugar, more toffee, and a touch of boozy sweetness at the end. Finishes with hints of oxidized sweet purple fruit. Aftertaste of just a touch of sap hop bitterness. Very strange but I like it.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Oily and slick with some bubbles in the mouth. Goes down smooth with a touch of booziness. Finishes messy with a lingering, sweet, filmy aftertaste. Pretty solid. Considering the huge ABV, this is very, very drinkable.

This beer is a touch odd and its certainly no M. However, I think with what is going on here, this will develop into a very interesting brew down the line. The flavor combination is very unique and although certain notes feel out of place, it has a lot of room to integrate and change. I'm glad I have a couple cellared.

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pours with a big head. Deep brown caramel. Thick collar and nice legs.

Smell - Lots of red wine character. Caramel. Yeasty. A slight acidic character.

Taste - Hint of a bright flavor. Touch of acidity. Deeper than caramel flavor. Almost milk chocolate. Red wine comes out in the middle. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Very chewy barleywine. Great body, despite how highly carbonated it is.

Overall - Good, but the red wine barrel doesn't blend as well as I thought it would.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3000 Belgian-Style Barleywine from Midnight Sun Brewing Co.