Extra Extra Juicy Bits - Citra

Added:
Sep 03, 2019
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Prepare to be transported to a tropical island destination where you'll satiate your thirst on the ripest tangerines, pineapples, passion fruits, mangoes, and peaches washed down with free flowing waterfalls of the juicy-est Juicy Bits.
You can expect the same soft creamy mouthfeel showcased in our classic Extra Extra Juicy Bits but with exponentially more tropical citrus fruit notes from the 12lbs per barrel of Citra hops showcased in what we think is one of the BEST iterations in this series!
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

4.25 by Patches826 from Massachusetts on Sep 30, 2021
3.93/5  rDev -10.9%
by ichorNet from Massachusetts

I first had Juicy Bits last year and really enjoyed it. Since then, there have been a few different iterations of this infamous WW brew showing up at my local shop, but I've missed out on every one of them until I happened to find this one still sitting on shelves. Not sure when it showed up or how old it is (shame on WW for not can-dating, honestly), but recent reviews on Untappd make it seem like this may be rather fresh.

Whereas Juicy Bits clocks in at 6.7% ABV, EEJB is 8.6%, and this one features a double dry-hop of "extra extra Citra," whatever that actually means. The pour is a light-ish amber leaning orange color with a half-finger of nice, retentive head sitting on top. It leaves behind some alright lacing with fair legs, though nothing about this looks particularly impressive to my jaded eyes.

The nose is quite a bit maltier than expected, which does leave me wondering if this is older than a couple months. Pity I can't find any concrete information about that, but there are some sugared grapefruit, mango, and light malty notes in the nose that are definitely leading me to think of this as a bigger DIPA when compared the more-saturated younger brother Juicy Bits. I am not huge on the honey-laden citrus element in bigger IPAs these days and would much prefer a more crisp and dank-leaning approach, but this doesn't seem bad.

Flavor is a bit more balanced and complex than I thought it would be based on my first couple sniffs of this beer. I get some apricot and papaya mingling with pomelo and some light spice notes along with good maltiness that feels supportive and not unusually-sweet or stiff (which would really nail down the inkling I was having that this might be a little past its prime). Instead, I think the semi-sweet malts do a bit of justice to this, helping rein in the Citra aggression, and the pillowy mouthfeel is rather nice. That said, this still seems a little syrupy and overly-sweet to my tastebuds, so I fear it may still be either past its prime or not quite the best iteration of this concept. I'd check it out again but I'd be leery and make sure it's fresh considering their lack of transparency regarding freshness on the package itself.

Sep 10, 2021

4.5 by rjp217 from Massachusetts on Aug 25, 2021

4.5 by alexsergio from New York on Feb 25, 2021
4.73/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by Radcpa from Washington

Very cloudy straw appearance with a nice white head that dissipates slowly. Aroma is a very pleasant citrus. Taste is also a very pleasant citrus. A little thin

Jan 29, 2021

4.5 by Old_Dead_Oak from Wisconsin on Aug 21, 2020

4 by Elicoleman from Colorado on Feb 19, 2020

4.5 by westcoastbeerlvr from California on Sep 17, 2019
4.38/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
by CanConPhilly from Pennsylvania

L - 2-finger frothy offwhite head atop a milky orange body.

S - pineapple, herb, grapefruit.

T - tons of pineapple and grapefruit. Sweet orange slices, citrus edibles, melon, sour lime. Moderate bitterness. Moderate-low sweetness. Moderate-low booziness.

F - medium-full body with lower carb.

O - a damn tasty ipa. I see now why the Bits are hyped.

Sep 15, 2019

4.75 by adusso415 from Colorado on Sep 14, 2019
4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by BeerRunner from Texas

The look is hazy, thick and rich. Smell is juicy, tropical fruit and citrus. And, oh the taste! Mango, grapefruit and more citrus bursting in your mouth. Really a wow beer. If you like a a hazy, juicy fruit bomb then you need this in your life!

Sep 08, 2019

4.41 by Futbolmanby from Michigan on Sep 08, 2019

4.38 by SadMachine from New Jersey on Sep 03, 2019
Extra Extra Juicy Bits - Citra from WeldWerks Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 93 out of 100 with 13 ratings