Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

Reviews: 286 | Ratings: 1,232
4.35/5  rDev -2%

bottle at hosers 17/7/11

A a little hazy pinky salmon liquid with a short lived light pink head that leaves little lace, I gotta admit that the color is seductive

S mild funk with tart raspberry, a little jammy but earthy at the same time

T not completely dry but close too it, what I smell is in the mouth and I'm not sure if I pick up some wet dog or if this dog breathing on me is mucking up my pallet, I get the tart raspberry but I also get some sour cherry somehow

M oh so tart, lip licking pucker sour with an aftertaste I'll need floss to get rid of

O solid lambic for sure perhaps a little above my level of understanding, I'm learning to love sour funk

I'm still a little confused by the style but I'm enjoying this learning experience

4.84/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Night of the Funk

A-Pours a beautiful reddish pink. The color is deep and concentrated. Tiny, pinkish head. Very beautiful.

S-Aroma is excellent. Jammy, ripe raspberry. Also there is an abundance of tart raspberry. Sweet and sour all in one. The raspberry is rich and layered. There is also a pleasant oakiness. Another cool component of the nose is this earthy, pungent 'terroir' like aroma. Great aroma.

T-The flavor does not disappoint. The jammy raspberry is big and rich. The tartness is set perfectly. Raspberry flavor like nothing I have come across before. Sweet and sour perfection. The earthy 'terroir' component really sets this beer apart. Oak seals the deal.

M-Puckering and light bodied with tickling bubbles. Tannic. A bit sticky.

O/D-Easily my favorite Framboise. The depth of flavor is impeccable. I was super excited to try this and it blew me away. A delicious beer. Must try the other Lou Pepe brews.

4.61/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle, 2010 sticker. Purchased at Brasserie Cantillon for on-site consumption, 11€. Poured out of a lambic basket into Cantillon stemmed wine glasses, 7/5/2013. Drank this one after drinking a 2010 Lou Pepe Kriek.

Pours a lovely red-pink body, with a nice fluffy 2cm pink head with good retention. Not a ton of lacing to be seen. The colour on this is very similar to that of the Lou Pepe Kriek. I love how fruity and glowing these beers' colours look.

Smells like straight up fresh raspberries with a ton of that musty Cantillon brewery funk and hay, accompanied by a nice dose of vinegar acidity. Although, like the other beers I'm drinking on premises, I can't promise that its because I'm drinking it at the actual brewery which smells like that. Its a great combination regardless.

Drinking this beer yields a crapload of raspberry fruit flavour along with a strong, delicious acetic sourness that has some oak barrel components. In the background is some earthy funk, leather and horseblanket. But the raspberries are definitely not missed here, and the acetic sourness is just perfect. Unlike the Rosé de Gambrinus, this big brother version is more complex with more of that earthiness in the background with a more complex acetic sour flavour.

Fizzly, great carbonation, actually a bit thinner bodied compared to Lou Pepe Kriek. So easy to drink, and I was able to down most of this bottle on my own. No hints of alcohol which is no surprise.

I really enjoyed this one. This is beyond better than Rosé, as it is more complex while being more fruity and brings out the other flavours of the brewing process very well. Still, raspberries don't provide as much complexity as the cherries do in the corresponding Krieks. I prefer Lou Pepe Kriek to this, but this is still an absolute delight to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

thanks to egrace84 for the bottle share!

750ml bottle sealed with pressure cap and cork.

Sticker on bottle says 2010. Cork says bottled in 2013.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: translucent mediumred bodied beer with massive 3 fingers of white head. Head has some serious staying power and eventually drops down to a thin cap.

Smell: Apple cider vinegar. Loads of juicy raspberries. Light level of funkiness.

Taste: Tons of raspberries! Hints of green apples and lemons. 6/10 on the sour scale. Light musty funk just like in the nose. Bright tasting fruity sour!

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with moderate carboantion levels. semidry finish. wouldnt chance a think about the mouthfeel. Supurb!

Overall: Between LP Kriek and LP Fram, the clear winner is the Framboise. What a great sour beer by Cantillion.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL corked & capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2006 vintage, bottledon Sept. 1st, 2008.

(A)- Pours a deep blood red color that produced a good white to pink head that dissipated down to bubbles.

(S)- A sour yet super ripe tart cherry & raspberry fruits. A dense smell of a bread-like oakiness behind all the fruits that are almost creamy from the oak. A beautiful aroma.

(T)- Wow, a super duper sour punch up front with a kiss of tart cherry & raspberry fruits. Has a sour midpalate that turns dry and wood-like with more fruits. Finishes with the same super sour fruit flavor, but it all meshes together well. Some serious hay & horseblanket funk at the end too.

(M)- A huge fizzy carbonation level that creates a huge party in the mouth. Lightly sweet with a potent tart/sour kick that makes you smack your lips after each sip. A good fruitiness to balance it out. My only complaint is how high the carbonation level really is; could have toned down a bit, but I just gave it more time to breath once opened; it got much better after that.

(D)- One of the most sour beers I have ever had; but it is very good. A huge sour kick with some good fruits; a funkiness that I appreciated & enjoyed. One of the better lambics I have ever had. Now I need to try the Kriek. Cantillon knows their sours!

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

For the most part, I've been disappointed with aged framboises. This is the 2007 vintage, bottled 14 Sept 2009, consumed 29 April 2011 in celebration of our last night living in DC (for now, at least) and having those French bastards rip us off $10K for a POS UHV tee they made for us.

Decanted, this is clear with a dense, light pink head with excellent retention and lacing, this is a great looking lambic. The nose has a beautiful, bright, raspberry character, fruity and jammy with macerated fruit. The lambic base is expressed as a more lemony, ripe character, in line with Cantillon's Lou Pepe line. A little grass and hay are present as well.

The palate opens with quite an intense sourness, very lemony, very lemon-rind like with a distinct raspberry fruitiness, moderately jammy but also very bright, ripe and almost floral. Demonstrating the dichotomy that is a fruit lambic - ripe, delicate, fruit character coupled with an intensely sour base. There's a definite musty character, one that's lightened up by the lemony sourness. Drying, sour and lemony acidity are present on the finish, along with a rather prominent fruit character. Despite being relatively young, this does has a touch of solventy, rotting raspberry character present. Seedy tannins are present, lending a mild nuttiness to the flavor, especially the finish. Despite the high acidity, I seem to have no problem plowing through the first half of the bottle and savoring the second.

Ultimately, this is the completely unlike Hommage in that it leans more heavily on the sourness rather than the fruit. Additionally, this just doesn't seem to age as well as the Drie Fonteinen framboises seem to (I only have Hommage as a reference, but I hear Framboos is rather amazing even 12 years on).

**Original review :03-08-2009 08:36:11**
2003 vintage picked up at Sam's in Clybourn today. At $30 a bottle, I wasn't going to pay up another $15 to carry it back home. Into a wine glass

A: Hazy pink with a thin white head that recedes fairly quickly. This would be clear (it was when I picked it up) but it doesn't take well to a train ride in a backpack

S: Opens up with a ton of funk - wet leather, horse blanket - before a mild raspberry note comes through. Fruit character is well expressed, with the aroma carrying through very well. Age might have something to do with the shift in balance towards a more funk-forward beer. Acidity is noticeable

T: Opens up sour and tart with plenty of acidity. Funk is restrained compared to the sourness - very forward and bracing. Acidity is prominent, lemony in nature. Fruit comes through in the middle, with a delicate raspberry flavor that works very well, now that my palate has been opened up by the sourness. Finishes dry, tart and long

M: Soft carbonation, light body and a delicious finish. Great stuff

D: A 750 is going to be no problem. OTOH, I think I'm going to drink my fruit lambics fresh and age my gueuzes.

**Edit 26 March 2011**
Joe was kind enough to share a bottle of the 2002 vintage (bottled in 2004). Light, this is a clear amber and is lightly carbonated. The nose has rotting, overripe raspberries and nail polish remover. Not much funk, there's some pie-like cooked fruit character, mildly jammy. The palate opens super sour, definitely too much so. Not really acetic or lactic, is this what an excess of malic acid tastes like, but it is unpleasant. Light in carbonation, this is too sour in my book. 3.5/3/2.5/3/2.5

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

750 ml bottle, 2005 batch bottled in 2007.

Pours a cloudy orange/almost red, juice colour, medium off white head forms, quickly settles to a very thin ring around the glass, no real lacing, nice colour.

Smell is nice, big Cantillon sourness and funk, raspberries, wood, earthy, barnyard, vinegar, still a solid amount of fruity sweetness, lots of lemon and acidity, nice funkiness, smell is great.

Taste is badass, wickedly sour and tart, vinegar, oak/wood, barnyardy funk, lemons, some raspberry sweetness and a bit of fruit through the middle, earthy, wicked almost salty, but very acidic in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, feels a bit thicker than most Cantillon, but this one is wickedly tart. Great stuff.

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle opened on 5.30.12. 2008 Sticker.

A - Pours a dark burgundy red with a light pink fizzy and foamy head.

S - Sweet cherry, dark fruit, acidic vinegar.

T - A soft, sweet cherry, strawberries and cream.

D - Great carbonation with a light body. A touch of tartness at first, but gone quickly.

O - A light, sweet symphony on the tongue. Makes me think of strawberries and cream. Yum.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

I drank this 2005 vintage from the bottle into a champagne glass.

This lambic pours a medium pink/violet with about 2 inches of light pink head. The retention is poor as it falls within a minute. The lacing is light and watery.

The aroma is wonderful. There is the great funky horse blanket similar to what you get with the Saint Lamvinus, but this is far superior to the SL because it rewards you with great notes of sweet raspberries to balance out the tart.

The taste is also equally balanced rewarding the drinker with tartness and just enough sweetnes that a true lambic follower is looking for to enhance the drinkability. The first sip is lightly sweet with a raspberries and finishes with lots of sourness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and full and coats your mouth and makes you pucker.

Because this is so balanced its exceedingly drinkable for something so tart.

Overall, this is a great beer. I would seek this out and cellar it for up 20 years as recommended on the bottle.

4.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

UPDATE: Just sampled the 2009 edition and it was exponetially better. Much fresher berry presence and it just felt like the bottle was treated better over it's lifespan. Increasing my rating to effect.

Bottle courtesy of alpineclimber. 2008 version.

Pours a slightly hazy dark pink color with a huge beautiful light pink-hued bubbly head that eventually recedes leaving some minimal lacing.

Aromas initially made me say Holy F#$% out loud! Sweet, ripe raspberries coupled with that musty Brett that all the best Cantillons have. Some more lemon, oak and some acidic notes emerge as it warms. Really funky and fruity.

The tastes follow the nose but are sadly a little less enjoyable. I expected a big burst of sourness or Brett funk or fruity berries, and they are all there don't get me wrong, but they are muted compared to my expectations from the aroma. Definitely more oak and vinous flavors than I perceived in the aromas as well. Acidic lemon/white grape skin emerge as it warms a little more.

The mouthfeel is quite light bodied but expected for the ABV. Carbonation is also in the medium range. The finish is dry but not overly so and sour/tart but not overly so there either. To be honest it felt a little watery on my palate which I have never experienced with any of Cantillon's offerings.

Overall this was good, but not great for me at the level of Saint Lamvinous or Fou Foune to be honest. While it is definitely still top class, I don't have the urge/need to seek this out again in the future. Maybe the reputation, expectations and/or the awesome aroma got me too hyped up here

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy red colour with a small but very short lasted white head.

Intensely fruity aroma. Massive raspberry and raspberry seed aroma coming out of this 7 year old vintage. Funky too. Complex with fruity, tart and earthy notes. Big.

Massive tart funkiness but not powerfully acidic. Just rounded acidity that plays off the raspberry flavour and aroma. Interesting lemon note. Low barnyard flavours but the fruitiness really makes this a winner.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation. Super.

An excellent beer in the finest Cantillon style. The Lou Pepe range truly is the pinnacle of what they produce. The even rarer stuff is hardly worth the effort compared to this sublime product.

4.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic on 4/7/2013. Pours a beautiful raspberry hue, slightly hazy in clarity, with a fluffy, cloud-like, light pink head similar to the color of cotton candy. Nose expresses citrus, rind, cork and a wisp of raspberry essence at the back. Taste consistent with nose - no real surprises here. Citric acid is very assertive in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light in body, puckeringly tart and lightly stimulates the salivary glands. Overall, a very good fruit lambic; however, I'd like to have had a little more raspberry flavor.

4.34/5  rDev -2.3%

2006 vintage at Ebenezer's Belgian Fest, reviewed from notes.

A- Pink-red, served in my (now broken) commemorative glass for the festival. No head at all and a small ring and cloud, murky.

S- Like a gueze with some acetic. High sour is sensed. Fruit really becomes prevalent as it warms, amazing raspberry tart.

T- Better with warmth again. VERY sour. Acetic start with a great super tart raspberry finish.

MF- Light, oily low carbonated body. Smooth carbs. Sour level makes the tongue and cheek ache. Slightly creamy.

DB- Great raspberry flavor but especially aroma. The vinegar is there but enjoyable. Hard to resist a Cantillon vintage, almost always going to be a great experience.

4.19/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2001 version, 750mL bottle with cork and cap, gifted by mikey711 in a BIF. There was a little syrupy red juice on top of the cork when I removed the cap, but after removing the cork I didn't see any other aging-related anomolies.

The beer is dark reddish-orange color, clear for the first few pours. Initially there was a big pink foam with large cell size but it disappeared quickly, leaving no bubbles at all. The aroma is strongly acidic with wild ale aromatics (barnyard, old leather) and lingering raspberry smells at the end of each sniff.

The first sip was WAY sour, I reflexively flinched and closed my eyes. Each subsequent sip was just as bracing but my palette was ready. There's no real sweetness to be found from the raspberries, just a faint raspberry taste along with the tart acidic bite and nearly salty after-taste. This doesn't sound good as I write it but it's kinda addictive, at least I keep sipping nearly continuously.

There's lots of carbonation, otherwise a light body similar to many other lambics. Not sure how much of the puckering tartness is due to age or the particular year it was made, so I'll be getting this again as a newer year sometime to try it again.

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Ordered on cask at Moeder Lambic. When the waiter showed up, my daughter asked who ordered the raspberry soda. Me! Nice 25ML pour. And now the test, am I going to dig these funkjammers fresh?

Pour is as described, a big, bubbly pot of light red or purplish soda. Very, very big on the carbonation. Nose is a delightful melange of berries and light tartness.

Lou Pepe Framboise kicks some butt on tap like I have not experienced out of the old hip flask...or bottle. Lively fresh raspberries are juxtaposed with a lovely dose of smart, sharp tartness that never touches sour. Effervescent enough that I feel the bubbles pressing eagerly all the way up into my long-shattered sinuses. Dry but oh, oh-so drinkable. I'd work in farm fields for a jug of this with dinner.

Bloody nice, wonderfully cheerful, tasty as hell. Excellent beer. I do believe I am going to like it here.

3.54/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle says 2003, Cork says 2005.

A: Pours a murky pinkish/orange color. At first a two finger pinkish head forms, but recedes almost instantly. No lace.
S: A very fruity aroma. Mostly tart and sour raspberries.. Some barnyard funkiness.
T: Again, sour and tart raspberries. Almost mouth puckering. A funkiness that follows the nose. Not bad, but not a lot of depth and too much sourness for my tastes.
M/D: A medium body and medium carbonation. Dry. The sourness makes this hard to drink.

This one did not do it for me like the Lou Pepe Kriek did. The subtle complexities that are in the Kriek are almost gone here. What is here is raspberries, sourness, and funk. Not that that is bad, just not the masterpiece the Kriek is.

4.46/5  rDev +0.5%

2008 Vintage shared with my parents over breakfast on Christmas morning.

Appearance. Pours a deep ruby red, pretty clear with a big, frothy, nearly 3 finger of pale pink head.

Smell. Fresh rasberries, some sour barnyard funkiness.

Taste. Lovely sour funk, some really tart rasberry, lemon juice, and just a hint of vinegar.

Mouthfeel. Light+ body with big spritzy carbonation.

Overall. Just awesome. Perfect with the eggs benedict we had for breakfast. Refreshing, sour, just enough funk. Good call on choosing this one, if I do say so myself.

4.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage, 750ml at the Brewery

Ruby red - bright, with pink hues. The LP Framboise is beyond jammy - its exploding with sweet and tart berry with a seedy finish. Acetic, musty, vinegar, moderate tartness. My least favorite of the 3 Lou Pepe's but I think that's just a style preference thing. An exceptional Framboise.

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Served on draught at Belmont Station in a Delirium Tremens snifter, Lou Pepe Framboise is bright, chill hazed magenta with a medium violet collar.

Smell is super bright raspberry, whoa! Actually, it's so sweet and fruity, that the nose reminds me a lot of Lindemans, with only a hint of rubbery phenols to let em know it's a real lambic. The vintage unknown, and Belmont said they've cellared it for a year, but with this much fruit, it can't be to much older...

Taste is a whole other ballgame, pure Cantillon sour bomb. Big lambic pucker, and while the fruity is still clearly there, it struggles to balance with the pure sourness, which is exactly how I like my fruit lambics! Rounded out with a nice chalky, baking soda finish.

Mouthfeel is slick and dry, with a medium light body and abrupt finish save for the long, lingering pucker.

Drinkability is great, this beer is the bomb. I love raspberries, and I love Cantillon, and I love this framboise. While not the sourest beer in their portfolio, and very fruit forward for a Cantillon, it still bring the pucker with loads of acidity. Super tasty, a rare treat on draught, I wish this was available year round!

4.02/5  rDev -9.5%

Beautiful red color. Foam? Doesn't matter.
At the smell: obviously raspberry. But with a resolute tartness. Leather, a lot. And brine. Light hint of mould.
The taste is very tart too. Good. Fruit and raspberry, and again leather. Maybe some brine again.
When the raspberry taste goes away, the tartness rules. Good.
Very tart and acidic in the aftertaste too, with raspberry again.
Light body. Very drinkable.

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%

I enjoyed this brew outside, on the patio, after spending a few hours tending to the lawn. It's an amazingly refreshing and complex thirst-quencher. It's also the kind of framboise that you can just sit and sip, slowly enjoying it. The beer pours a deep, dark, but clear red. Although it pours with a slight head, it quickly disappears. The beautiful color and clarity, however, more than make up for the head...great appearance. The aroma is a great mix of raspberries and sour funk. Horse-stall, sweaty, earthy, musty aromas mix with just-picked berries. At least half of the fun of this beer is the smell. The sourness in the taste is very strong, but not overdone. Mouthpuckering and intense, but balanced with some fruit flavors. The barnyard character comes through in the taste as well. I love these lambics that don't ruin the experience with sweetness. Perfect to sit and sip. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but the drinkability on this one is fantastic.

2.73/5  rDev -38.5%

750ml (thanks to mrkanable) with 2005 on the neck and a bottling date in 2007. i was excited about this beer but the moment I smelled it I was disappointed. I have never smelled a beer this bad and I love funky lambics. This was not cheesy, it was not barnyard, it was not even horse-piss. This was rancid and putrid garbage. I think this was the worst beer I have ever smelled. The beer looked good, it was a cloudy reddish color. The taste was oddly pretty good despite the vomit and trash smell. I tasted funky lambic and raspberries like I expected. This was alsoa little more acidic that I would like but the smell is what killed the experience. I need to get a fresh bottle.

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Cotton candy froth that fades over deep magenta. 4.25
Barnyard in a big way; plus rose petals somehow, and deep sweetness underneath. 4.25
Jammy fruit, slight cheese, big raspberry and more raspberry. 4.25
Deep vinaigrette end and clean acid linger.
Dry, light, crisp. 4

300g of fruit per litre - and fruit buries all that funk that's on the nose. Not sure I’m getting the benefit of it being a 2012, either. Bright and easy, but not all it could be. 4

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

750mL bottle poured into nonic - 2005 vintage

Pours a deep purple-red color with some copper hues. Thin pinkish head dissolves into a few wisps of film.

Explosive sour and fruity tones in the nose, jam packed with raspberries. Plenty of natural fruit tartness with oak and earth. Funky mustiness and lactic sourness with a touch of acidity.

Building sourness right up front, matched by a ton of raspberries. Earthy oak adds a nice base with plenty of yeasty funk. Musty and yeasty with some hints of red wine and red grapes. Building lactic sourness towards the finish, which is long, dry and lingering.

Medium body, decent carbonation, extremely dry and lingering on the tongue. This is a great example of how delicious and unique a Cantillon beer can be. I tried a small taste of a 2007 bottle right before this, and the sourness had definitely become amplified from the extra 2 years of age.

3.88/5  rDev -12.6%

2007 vintage

A-pours a bright ruby red color with an extremely light pink colored bubbly head.

S-the nose has a hint of earthy mushroom funk to it, light sweeter oak presence, the fruits are rather bright and the raspberry is seedy and fresh, it has a hint of tartness.

T-the taste is slightly muted in comparison to the nose. the acidity picks up in the finish and detracts from the brightness of the fresh raspberries. the funk is up front and well integrated with a note of oak and earthy flavors. the rapberry in back starts sweet but the acidity really presents a problem for it to push through.

M-medium bodied beer with a slightly syrupy feel to it and high carbonation with a very dry finish.

D-put up against many other lambics and sour raspberry ales, the acidity of some of these, including this one, take away from the juicy fruit flavors you get in the nose. the integration is done very well but this would probably be best drank fresh.

2004 Vintage drank 4/10

A-pours a completely hazed orangish amber color with an egg white head the is creamy and fluffy in appearance

S-the nose is tart and sour up front with notes of acidity, a touch of lactose and funk. Tons of tart raspberries in the back.

T-this is acidic and tart, sour raspberries take over with notes of earthy musk underneath. Hints of vinegar and a light bitterness, tons of tartness at the finish.

M-medium to full body that is smooth on the palate with some light bitterness. Nice strong carbonation presence giving a good crisp finish.

D-this is tasty and tart, nice flavors and lots of raspberries. Great Brew

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon