Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

Reviews: 289 | Ratings: 1,244
4.35/5  rDev -2%

750ml into a Cantillon tulip. 2008 bottle.

A: Pours a light ruby with a gigantic light pink head. This bottle is super-carbonated.

S: Beautiful assertive raspberry in the nose. Fragrant, sour, must, seed, rotted wood.

T: Lots of oak, sour raspberry skin, wet hay, lactic, very acidic, slight notes of vanilla and wheat. Very sour.

M: Light-bodied, frothy carbonation.

O: This isn't a fresh bottle, but it isn't exactly old either - I'm glad the fruit component is still bright. Plenty of funk in the nose, too. Awesome framboise.

bottle at hosers 17/7/11

A a little hazy pinky salmon liquid with a short lived light pink head that leaves little lace, I gotta admit that the color is seductive

S mild funk with tart raspberry, a little jammy but earthy at the same time

T not completely dry but close too it, what I smell is in the mouth and I'm not sure if I pick up some wet dog or if this dog breathing on me is mucking up my pallet, I get the tart raspberry but I also get some sour cherry somehow

M oh so tart, lip licking pucker sour with an aftertaste I'll need floss to get rid of

O solid lambic for sure perhaps a little above my level of understanding, I'm learning to love sour funk

I'm still a little confused by the style but I'm enjoying this learning experience

On tap at the hopleaf.

Pours like a lambic. Dark Fruit Roll-Up red with a tiny white head and little patches of bubbly bubbles.

Smells like candied raspberries. It's nice, but there's no huge lambic presence like I was expecting, no yeast funk or anything.

Tastes.. YEE OW! Calm start, the candied raspberries of the nose. But then the back is this wonderful kick of sour deathfunk yeast and perfectly permented sweet and sour fruit and big bursts of heaven. Wonderful.

4.34/5  rDev -2.3%

2006 vintage at Ebenezer's Belgian Fest, reviewed from notes.

A- Pink-red, served in my (now broken) commemorative glass for the festival. No head at all and a small ring and cloud, murky.

S- Like a gueze with some acetic. High sour is sensed. Fruit really becomes prevalent as it warms, amazing raspberry tart.

T- Better with warmth again. VERY sour. Acetic start with a great super tart raspberry finish.

MF- Light, oily low carbonated body. Smooth carbs. Sour level makes the tongue and cheek ache. Slightly creamy.

DB- Great raspberry flavor but especially aroma. The vinegar is there but enjoyable. Hard to resist a Cantillon vintage, almost always going to be a great experience.

4.34/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Initially listed this review under the Kriek by accident. Phew.

2007 Vintage, Bottled September 2009

When I first breached the cork there was loads of vinegar to be smelt.

Red colour. Not much head but there's ample carbonation.

Smell is field and wild and cooked mushrooms. Very pleasant funk to this one, nothing potentially disagreeable in here. Does remind me a bit of Lindemans sweetened Lambics in the nose profile though. There's lemon and herbs and really savoury vegetables. Ripe/overripe/fermenting fruit. Honeycomb, malt and carob. Cherries and roses. Smell does get a bit more faecal and organic as I get down the bottle.

Taste is more mushrooms and sweet potato. A pleasant sourness with the tiniest sweet touch. Not cloying at all in either direction. Something about this beer makes me think of regional French cooking, in a really good way. It's like there's garlic in the nose and taste. This beer is deeply interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice. Bubbly and tickly.

I was a bit put off initially by the nose profile but lying behind it is a delicious, drinkable and complex beer. I would love to get more of this.

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

2001 vintage, just like the picture.

Appearance: Brownish and quite murky, like most Cantillons the head was lively at first but died off rapidly.

Smell: Crush some sour, unripe raspberries, stick that jam into a well used baseball glove and leave it between two bales of hay during a rainy October and that's what this Beer smells like. I kid you not.

Taste: A bit more fruity than a kriek, but the difference is almost negligible. The acidity beats up your tongue and bullies your taste buds for it's lunch money. Like the Parliament Funkadelic is jamming in my mouth!

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

2001 and 2002 vintages side-by-side @ the pre-Toronado 24th Anniversary tasting. I brought the 2002, but forget who brought the 2001. Poured into two mini-snifters.

A - Pours a pinkish red color, pink fizzy head, thin collar, thin cap.

S - Sharp sour/tartness, raspberries are still there for the most part, lots of barn, very funky, lots of acidity. My nose turns inside out with each sniff.

T - Raspberry purée, lots of sharp sour/tart funkiness, slight oak. Surprised how well the fruit notes have held up after all these years. An utter onslaught of raspberries, sour, and funk.

M - Light, fizzy carbonation, super dry finish.

O - I thought both 2001 and 2002 were pretty close, taste wise. I didn't prefer one over the other, both were excellent. I'll have to open a more recent vintage and compare. A must-try.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

On tap at Ebenezer's- 2005 vintage. have tried one of the three Cantillons each time I have been there this week- sweet!
Pours a clear reddish/purple with no head, just some small bubbles of carbonation up the side of the wine glass.
Smells of rasberries, mostly, but some barnyard and some sour cherries and apples.
Taste is similiar to smell- lots o fsweet rasberry with the tartness of sour fruits as well. Little bit of red wine flavor as well. Quite refreshing, though. Little bit of spritz in there. Not as hardcore as I thought. Very good.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

I consider myself fortunate any time I get Cantillion on tap and this was another one of those occasions.This beer was quite cloudy, as it should be. There was definitely a nice dark raspberry hue to the beer, also to be expected. The fragrance definitely contained the expected yeasty aromas with the sweet/tartness of the raspberries, also VERY good things in my book! I have come to anticipate a certain character from Cantillion and I was definitely not let down. The taste was as wonderful as I had hoped. Nice yeastiness to it as well as a delicate raspberry taste. The only reason it did not do better in the drinkability is because I may only want one, but would savour it as I did have that one. I wish I did not see that this is listed as "limited edition"!! Enjoy!!

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

It pours a rich fruit-punch red, with pinkish lights along the edges. Two fingers of light pink head swells at the tap but disappears to thin air by the time it gets to me. One single ring of lacing halos the dropping liquid.

The aroma is of the earth, with yeast and funk, horse and hay, wet and musty, and overseen by the lord of it all, the mighty fresh raspberry, both sweet and tart, but with an acidic blade that punches the fruit home.

Upon sipping, the dense earthiness again makes first play, with the sour funky attitude bouncing off the deep candied sweetness of the raspberries, with the result a densely tart, citric pucker, the cheeks sucked in, the tongue ravaged, and the nose wrinkled. The fading glory is more reminiscent of grapes, not quite vinous but stately as opposed to juicy. A distant florality graces the sour but prompt finish. It's fruity and might lead you to expect something more conservative, but woe is the one who believes that for even a moment, because it's a fine, sour saucy lambic.

Light of body, there's a sense of carbonation and a dry impression that clean the palate after each mouthful.

The guy I was with insisted on trying it, and far be it from me to dissuade him. The instant response was no way, this is not my kind of beer. My wife didn't like it. Some guy I didn't know asked me how I can drink it. I replied, with relish. More for me, lads and lassies, and for anyone who wants to enjoy a sour fruity back-to-the-soil basicness that gives a good lambic its soul. Granted, it takes a couple glasses of water to get my cheeks puffed back out where they belong, but what a wonderful sipper this is. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2007 vintage (made with 2009 harvest), purchased at the brewery and shared with some friends in London. The brewer remarked that this year's fruit crop was excellent. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a hazy magenta color in the glass, with a frothy pink head that reveals its high effervescence. Retention is poor, as expected for this style, and the final result is a thin halo with no lacing down the sides.

S: Tart, slightly sour raspberry notes hit the nose first. They are joined by oak, leather, must, and whispers of barnyard funk.

T: Starts off seemingly sweet with a raspberry-dominated flavor, but it reveals itself to be tart, sour, very well attenuated, and uber-dry, nearly burning in the back of the throat. Swirling in the mouth and sampling the beer's myriad flavors turns up a woodsy flavor, leather, and hints hay / must / horse blanket.

M: Acidic and cuttingly dry, reminding us of potential heartburn problems. Light-bodied and lively.

D: Out of the 3 Lou Pepes I opened, this was our least favorite. An excellent and complex flavor, but more austerely dry than any of us really preferred. I'd get it again but I would pair it with food.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

I drank this 2005 vintage from the bottle into a champagne glass.

This lambic pours a medium pink/violet with about 2 inches of light pink head. The retention is poor as it falls within a minute. The lacing is light and watery.

The aroma is wonderful. There is the great funky horse blanket similar to what you get with the Saint Lamvinus, but this is far superior to the SL because it rewards you with great notes of sweet raspberries to balance out the tart.

The taste is also equally balanced rewarding the drinker with tartness and just enough sweetnes that a true lambic follower is looking for to enhance the drinkability. The first sip is lightly sweet with a raspberries and finishes with lots of sourness.

The mouthfeel is heavy and full and coats your mouth and makes you pucker.

Because this is so balanced its exceedingly drinkable for something so tart.

Overall, this is a great beer. I would seek this out and cellar it for up 20 years as recommended on the bottle.

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Pours a deep, hazy amber-red. Well carbonated, nice pink head.

Smell: HUGE, woody raspberry smell. Incredibly intense and sour. Bit of must, leather, wood, and hay.

Taste: Incredibly tart & sour, perhaps the most sour/tart beer I have ever encountered. Huge fruit as well, it is sweet but not unpleasantly so. The wood seems to add a good bit.

Mouthfeel: Very well carbonated, perhaps a bit too much so. Tannins and sugar give it a big mouthfeel

Drinkability: Drinkable, but I prefer the Kriek version (although this is better than Rose de Gambrinus, which I find to be a bit thin/watery). This one is a slow sipper.

4.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On cask at Moeder Lambic on 4/7/2013. Pours a beautiful raspberry hue, slightly hazy in clarity, with a fluffy, cloud-like, light pink head similar to the color of cotton candy. Nose expresses citrus, rind, cork and a wisp of raspberry essence at the back. Taste consistent with nose - no real surprises here. Citric acid is very assertive in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light in body, puckeringly tart and lightly stimulates the salivary glands. Overall, a very good fruit lambic; however, I'd like to have had a little more raspberry flavor.

4.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2003 vintage

I haven't had too many cantillons, but they impressed me again with this one. Gonna try to get my hands on as many as possible.

A: looked like a burnt orange color, or a sunset

S: pure garbage, literally, smells like garbage juice that Illuminates? the room. awesome, can't wait to drink it.

T: sour as can be, you feel it in the back of your mouth. "stings the nostrils" the aftertaste is quite exceptional.

M: medium and mild carbonation

D: Right before my son Thomas tasted it, he said, "I have a feeling i'm gonna really like this one." He took a sip and the face he made was priceless, just pure sourness. He said it was awful, but then said "wow, that was bad but also very good. I think I'll take another sip." perfect description.

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Complete vertical (01 - 09 based on sticker) shared by Mr. Bubbler on his b-day. The following is a comparison and rating is based on the average score of all:

A: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Pours a pinkish red (older) to reddish pink (younger) all with a pink head which varied from almost nothing (02 and 03) to quite foamy (07). Lace was generally trace.

N: Ranged from 3.5 to 4.5. Varied from a vibrant bright fruit (09) to just slightly (03) notable. Younger bottles were much less funky and musty compared to the older ones which were more wild and earthy.

T: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Plenty of basic moldy, chessy funk in all. Tartness more evident in older bottles. Some lemon present in 06. Intense sourness in 02. Surprise was 01 still fruity.

M: Range from 3.5 to 4.5. Semi-moderate body consistent across all bottles. Carbonation varied from foamy to nearly nothing. Tart to very sour and puckering. Cheesy, musty, dusty, earthy dry finish not so varied but older bottles generally tasted "older".

O: Range from 4.0 to 5.0. Highlights included the fresh fruit of the 09, the intense sourness of the 02, and the still wonderful 01. Very fortunate to have been a part of this event. Thanks and happy b-day Mr. B.

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

2004 vintage. Thanks Hart for sharing this!

A-Body is a very translucent, foggy, amber hue with a slight pinkish tint to it. Pours with a fizzy one finger white head that fades pretty quickly.

S- Nose is good and complex. The highlights are slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness. Also noticeable are a hint of vinegar, a slight sweetness, and bready yeast.

T-Flavor is quite tart and offers slightly tart raspberries and a big acidic sourness with a nice bready yeast backbone. A hint of raspberry sweetness comes through for the finish which is a culmination of the initial flavors with an added salty component.

M-Acidic and sour, with low to medium carbonation and medium weight body. Quite good.

D- This is a great lambic. I wish I would have gotten into Cantillon earlier! This is a great sour that offers lots of authentic raspberry flavors and is quite tart.

4.29/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Share bottle with 2010 sticker. One of the best framboise's I have had and I'm not much of a sour person. With the age the sharp tart had fallen off, but the raspberry and a some funk was still there and great

4.27/5  rDev -3.8%

2007 Edition, from a 750 ml green bottle, capped and corked. Fizzy pink head on the pour that quickly subsides. Cloudy, somewhat murky deep garnet hue.

Sour, tart and sweet raspberry characteristics in the aroma, some acidity and funk in the background.

Acidic and tart raspberry in the flavour which sweetens up a bit in the middle, with a sour funk on the finish. Some bready malt rises up well into the aftertaste, almost but not quite replacing the acidity.

Medium-bodied, slick and sticky texture, with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Enjoyed this one much more than the Kriek, perhaps the raspberries marry better with the style and blending a bit more based on their inherent nature. Definitely one to pick up if it's available, the fruit does this one justice.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2002 bottling.
The first half of the bottle pours a clear, resonant, cherry juice brown, capped by a fizzy, sputtering head that dies away immediately like cola. Amazing color, very pretty. The remaining pours get steadily hazier, until the last dregs are an opaque, purplish, brick red mud. I wasn't that brave. The aroma is bitingly acidic, lightly tinted with raspberry essence. Funky and wild, with notes of aged swiss cheese and crabapple. Very complex and farmy. The flavor is immediately and unequivocally tart. Sour with just the slightest bit of give to keep your eyes from watering. The raspberry flavor comes through mostly in the end. It's sort of a raspberry apology for what your tastebuds just went through. Funky and wild through and through, very acidic with little in the way of sweetness or bitterness. Moldy and bacterial, with light cheesy sharpness and vinegar notes. Light on the tongue, with fizzy, energetic carbonation that carries the flavors well. Very challenging and unique. Delicious, but the sourness gets almost painful after half a bottle. Funny, because I recall easily splitting a bottle of the Fou'foune with the old lady, and that's one of their most intense. Something to share with a couple friends. Hopefully they chip in on the big pricetag, too!

4.27/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2010 vintage from bottle at ChurchKey for 2013 Zwanze Day. Tumbler glass.

A: Pours a bright purple color, crystal clarity, with light pinkish purple foam. Excellent retention though little lacing.

S: Bright juicy raspberry, horse blanket funk, some malt.

T: Lightly tart, slight tannins, raspberry is more restrained than the nose, with a mild sweetness rounding out the flavor.

M: Medium body and medium-light, smoothish carbonation.

O: Solid though not exceptional. Not as fruit forward as I would like, but complex and well integrated. Maybe I would prefer a fresh bottle.

4.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2010 bottle. Thanks to DocJ007 for the share at our recent tasting.

A - Pours raspberry red with a nice one finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving spotty trails of lace down part of the glass.

S - Smells of intense basement must and barnyard funk and not much else. Not a ton of fresh fruit which is a bit surprising with such a fresh bottle but it is still enjoyable.

T - Starts off with the strong must and funk combo that never really fades away. The raspberries come through a little more here but they are still more muted than I was expecting. Finish is still pretty musty with some lingering tartness. Not overly sour like some of the aged bottles I have had, but not as bright with the fruit either.

M - Medium-Light body with moderately high carbonation. The spritzy feel propels the musty, tart flavors across the palate.

O - My first time having this one fresh and it was interesting. I was expecting a lot more fruit than I got from it, mostly the trademark Cantillon musty funk combo but that is fine as well. Probably my least favorite of the three Lou Pepe's but still a beer worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2008 bottling

Just ever so slightly disappointing. Not quite the massive fruit bomb of the best year's I've had, nor aged enough to add funky complexity. Still gorgeous, ruby-maroon with fluffy head that lasts. Deep, bold berry notes on the nose and palate, and sharp, lingering, fierce tartness. Clean, overly so in fact. A round, medium body with a crisp finish.

This particular tasting was a fine bottling I'd love to have easy access to, but not something to write home about.

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Bloody light red, very thin pink head. Aroma is extremely barnyardy, like when you pick raspberries in a field where cows have passed and left their "trace". Lactic sour yogurt past its prime, mild cask wood. Very fruity acidic palate, citric, lactic with definite blood oranges flavors. I think I’d like it better if it was more sour. Cask wood flavors, while there, seems also a bit restrained to me. Medium carbonation, medium bodied. Those beers are great, no doubt about it, but I guess it’s the oak and fruit focus that makes the difference between a great beer and an exceptional one. Lou pepe framboise, while very complex and apparently well blended doesn’t strike to me as the perfect blend of complexity and focus. I had greatly anticipated this beer for a long time and stand disappointed though, it’s fairly similar to the lou pepe kriek and while being authentic and a quality product, just doesn’t appear to me even as a top shelf framboise and how many of those are there? Thanks Martin!

2009 on sticker-- shared by phineasgage on 11.09.12
served in my Cantillon stemware glasses.

Bright pinkish red body-- very clear and pretty. Lots of streaming bubbles coming up, though the head was decent, the retention is lacking.

The beer is beautiful raspberry notes with a nice diaper funk.
The flavor is very sweet, very very sweet. Loads of raspberries... The funk is pleasant... The sourness is respectable, but it is clear that it will grow in intensity.

feels perfect. nice tartness pulls gently at the sides of my cheeks. well-carbonated.

Overall-- this is the best of the LP series. For my money though, this one isnt worth the infkated price over Rose de Gambrinus.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon