Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

#52

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 298

4.9/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

This was the 2001 vintage. I see why this is a popular beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from 2012

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

shared a 75cl bottle at Nüetnigenough (Brussels, Belgium)

Lou Pepe Framboise is to a double-pound cheeseburger what Rosé De Gambrinus would be to a quarter-pounder; both delight and amaze in their own right, but one is definitely a richer more intense version of the other.

An abundance of raspberry on the nose, with the good ol' barnyard funk we've come to expect and love from the magic of the River Senne. Lots of tart, dark berry, and even a little bit of oak emerge from the bottle once the cork comes off; a sour lemon-y residue lingers while the bottle decants.

Sour isn't usually my go-to response with Framboise, but it is in this case. The nose is wonderfully matched on the tongue as well, as funky sour hay flavors quickly follow the tart dark fruit. I'd even dare to say that the berry flavor is closer to cranberry than it is to raspberry; remind me to mix this with vodka if I ever find myself holding an excess supply.

4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise is perhaps the most classic and refined beer I've ever tried - but it has the colour of a Swedish Berry candy, the glossiness of nail polish, and looks flamboyant enough to be singing a Liza Minnelli tune. Even its head is hot pink.

This has a smell reminiscent of a dank, musty basement - the fruitiest, most perfumed and agreeable wet basement you'll ever come across. There's a strong whiff of oak wood but most of all there's the wild yeasts and trademark bacteria of the Senne Valley. It's a scent unique to Brussels and, more specifically, one that can instantly be traced back to Cantillon.

Jean Van Roy - pick your generation - is a prolific father; others have carried on his sour, wild yeast and barrel-aging lineage, but Lou Pepe Framboise reminds us "who's your daddy". Nothing is this distinctly funky, obviously fermented *and* friendly. The extra dosage of fruit doesn't distract from the sour Lambic but increases the subtle flavour present in the Rosé De Gambrinus.

One is always kept aware of the old oak barrels in which this beer is aged (minimum of two years in Lou Pepe's case). As is virtually always the case with every Fruit Lambic Cantillon brews, the contents of the wood are as apparent as (or arguably more than) the fruit. This thing has a shot of lemon juice with every mouthful; very sour but also, in a huge way, very refreshing.

Of all the dozens of Lambics I've reviewed on my home (North American) turf, none have recaptured and recalled the charm, character and cuisine of Belgium - at least those elements that I've always taken away from it - better than Lou Pepe Framboise. Each trip to Brussels is relived with every sip. It is a dazzling beer and easily one of the more memorable ones I've tried.

4.86/5  rDev +6.1%

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Let me preface my review with a little disclaimer: I'm young, developing my palate, and hadn't tried a Lambic until I visited Cantillon in Brussels (good way to start I guess!). Anyways, I ordered a bottle of LPF at the Public Brewing Session. 2012 bottle. Served in a Lambic basket into their stemmed taster glasses. LPF pours a deeper red than Rose de Gambrinus, but lighter than Kriek (I don't know about LPK). It's a deeper pink, compared to a deeper red of Kriek. There was about half an inch of head on my pour, but my buddy got even more on his. Smelled like a wonderful raspberry bomb with the sourness/funk classic of Lambics, so I hear. The taste is wonderful. At the time, I described it as more of everything than Rose de Gambrinus. More raspberry, more carbonation, more enjoyable (not to discredit Rose). The mouthfeel of this is definitely more bubbly, which I loved. Glad I have three of these to take home and enjoy with my family and throw in the cellar. A must taste at some point in one's beer drinking career.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon