Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Gueuze

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-01-2003

Reviews: 204 | Ratings: 1,100
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 bottle from Cantillon in Brussels.

A - Great appearance, bright golden with a creamy white head and excellent lacing.

S - Nice funky tart aroma with green apple, lemon, and barnyard.

T - Flavor is full and complex with malty sweetness to balance the tartness, lemony funk, sour apple, and wood. Just a straight-up awesome gueuze.

M - High carbonation, medium body, and a great effervescent mouthfeel. A sharp and tart acidic bite, just like you'd want and expect from this style.

D - Better than the regular Cantillon gueuze. Can't pinpoint why exactly, maybe it's a little better balanced and smoother.

4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

2006 Vintage of the Lou-Pepe Geuze acquired at Capone's in Norristown. After sending two out as extra's in trades I wanted to finally try it myself. Poured into a Sierra Nevada pint glass.

Appearance: A faded yellow/gold color, slightly hazy. It's a little tough to get any kind of foam to build up. Pouring more aggressively the second time got about a fingers worth of bubbly, spritzy head that receded quickly. Not too much lacing either.

Smell: Not as overpowering as other Geuze's I've tried. Some aroma's of cider, funk, and other herbal tones. The horse blanket funk and sour aroma is a little subdued which I like.

Taste: A little funky with some citric sour flavor. As in the aroma, it is relatively subdued. Not an overpowering sour/funk presence which allows other flavors to come out, such as a slight oak sweetness as the bottle warms and some other citric fruit, lemon flavors. An excellent balance of sour and funk and other flavors. Don't get me wrong though, it's still sour.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was ok. The medium body made this a very drinkable brew as no flavor every becomes overpowering. Lots of different flavors and funk linger on your tongue as well, even a few minutes after a sip I could still taste the lemon and the sourness.

Drinkability: High. A great, flavorful Geuze that isn't overly sour and pretty light in the stomach.

Glad I finally tried this one. Great Geuze. There's a lot more going on than just sour and funk which I like. Expensive, but definitely worth the price every now and again.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

2005 Vintage with a 2007 Cork and a "bottled in 2008" on the back label. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into tulip glass.

A- Reveals a paler looking golden color with an ever so slight haze. Decent clarity. Produced three fingers width of white head, which quickly dissipated to a white ring.

S- More tame than other guezes I have had, but the mellowed down aroma was complimented by great mix of ingredients. Getting an overriding aroma of horse blanket with underlying notes of citrus and oak. The toned down aromas allows the funk to take on a slightly earthy, herbal characteristic.

T- What a great blend! The beginning takes on the barnyard funk flavors with sour lemons underneath. At no point does it become overly sour, just smooth as can be. About midway through a definite oak comes through, leading the way into wonderfully sour and acetic blend of citrus fruits. The back end just sits on the palate and gives an everlasting, memorable impression.

M- Could have used a little more carbonation, slightly disappointing because of this aspect. I really enjoyed the light to medium body accompanied by a slight stickiness to the palate...really allowed the beer to sit all parts of the palate, intensifying the flavors.

D- I drank this bottle rather easily. One of the more balanced, mellow guezes I have had.

Overall, another classic Cantillon. Very fortunate to have a steady supply of these beers, especially considering I don't have access to RR and LA.

3.97/5  rDev -9.6%

2006 sticker on my bottle.

Tawny color liquid, with a bit of a white head.

Smells quite cidery, with some wood notes underneath. Reminds me a bit of Taylor's chip dry.

Tastes really cidery; I'm amazed that no apples went into this. The acidity is fairly low for a gueuze. It's very smooth, with only a little sour bite in the end. There is a bit of leatheryness in the finish, but mostly it's a clean smooth taste of cider.

Carbonation is good, light but pleasant.

Probably the most drinkable gueuze I've ever had, since it is so smooth and light. Personally, I prefer a tart bomb, but I'm impressed with the delicacy that they achieved with this one.

Bottle: Poured a dark golden orange color lambic with a quite large bubbly head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of sour notes with some distinctive oak and not much acidity which kind of surprised me. Taste was very refreshing with some sour notes and some oak; I was expecting more acidity and some barnyard notes but those were almost completely absent. Well done but considering the price difference I would stick with the regular gueuze.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into red wine glass. 2005 on sticker/2007 on cork/2008 on label. No matter what year it is, I was giddy to find this at State Line liquors in Maryland.

Pours a lightly hazy gold-orange with a fluffy, big bubbled white head that settles down to some soapy suds floating around on the surface of the beer. Has a beautiful glow to it.

Nose is perfect. Green apples and lemon, a nice layer of slightly musty horseblanket, prominent oaky vanilla, even some orangey notes in there. Very interesting - brighter, smoother, and fruitier than expected, but my mouth is already watering.

Taste is everything a gueuze is supposed to be. Lemons and green apples mingle with horseblanket and some old leather, with some dry oak coming out towards the finish. Just a bit of vinegar below 50 degrees that tends to disappear as the beer warms to around 50-55. Acidity is there but fairly light, and the finish is dry, oaky, a bit tannic.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Carbonation is there but is light and manageable, body is medium-full, dry, with a very light acidity in the back of the throat.

Drinkability is excellent - full bodied and not at all shy, but at the same time not overwhelming.

Really, an exceptional gueuze. Complex and fantastically flavorful, but at the same time very drinkable and not overwhelming or harsh in any way - really, what ever beer should try to be.

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%

Cork says bottled 2007, back of the bottle says 2008, front of the bottle says 2005. I'm guessing it was brewed in 2005 and bottled in 2008. Poured into a snifter.

Pours a pale yellowish-orange, very small head which is gone almost immediately. Aroma is extremely unique- reminds me a lot of apple juice, strangely enough. Lots of citrus- tart lemon juice, orange peel. Extremely clean aroma, very little brett funk. Taste is very tart, clean, again the focus seems to be on the bright citrus flavors and almost nothing in the way of funk. Finish is sour and smooth, no harshness whatsoever like in some other examples of this style. Really digging the sourness of this one. Mouthfeel is interesting- light on the carbonation, which is actually nice since it really allows some of the other flavors to shine through.

Wow, as I am progressing through this bottle I am really starting to like this beer a lot. Stands out from any other gueuze I've tried. Will definitely seek this out again, despite its cost.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Aaahhhh... now this is the good stuff.

Pours a bright, effervescent luminous orange with beams of golden orange-y-ness. Two or three inches of white foam head that quickly settled down to a thin slick crust.

Smells like a child's tears mixed with forlorn and lonely puppy dog. Also, there is lemony vinegar, oak, and a nice bouquet of funky horse blanket. I can tell this is going to be sour.

And it is, but it ain't a sour bomb. The smell, again, is liquified misery with a tinge of broken dreams. More big time soury oak, woodsy vinegar lemon, a bit of green apple/pear bite, and a definite unripe vinous aftertaste. So delicious.

I'm really enjoying this, and the sourness is well balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Label reads 2006, corks says bottled in 2008. Aside from dates, the bottle is in French and Dutch as it was brought back from the Netherlands. I've been having a fair number of amazing oude gueuzes lately, and this hits all the marks, but goes just a little deeper. Yes, there's the sharp lemon-lime juice sour/acidic tang that pulls at the back of your jaw. There's the toasted oak, but also with a hint of ash and pepper. And then I also taste a not inappropriately cheesey funk like you'd get from a nice, fatty blue cheese. What else? Mmmmm, there's a light fresh garden herb and celery note, dry white grape, and wheat cracker. God damn this beer is amazing.

UPDATE 6/14/10: Had a bottle from 2005. The tartness was a little more smooth, but it was no less divine to drink.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Very nice gueze from Cantillon. Pours a light cedar with a silky tan head. The nose has tart fruits, musty funk, oak, manure, wet soil and white wine making grapes. Taste has sour citrus up front followed by the musky funk and a sweet candy malt presence. Oak and wine grapes again finish it off. Crisp body with delicate carbonation and a dry acidic finish. Great stuff from Cantillon.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2005 vintage. This is confusing - the label says it's the 05, another sticker on the back says it's the '02 and YET another label says it was bottled in January of '03. And the cork? says bottled in 2007. Oh well, let's go with the 05, shall we? I'm cracking this tonight to remind myself of what a Cantillon beer is like, it's been a month since I've had one and I'm looking forward to trying some on tap in a couple of days.

A: Bring out the hazmat suit 'cos there's some foul black stuff as you pry off the cap. The cork comes out surprisingly quietly and as I pour this in my Duvel glass, an absolutely gorgeous crystal clear orange beer with a 3-finger thick white head appears. Retention is nothing special but good for the style, with some lacework being left behind. Awesome

S: Lemony barnyard funk right off the bat with some pronounced acidity. Complex and earthy with some wet hay. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this beer isn't outrageous or over the top. To my nose, it smells pretty balanced and complex, not hair-singeing like the Iris is. There are some cidery notes that come up once it warms up along with a hint of oak/vanilla sweetness.

T: It's got the characteristic Cantillon palate. Opening up with a pleasing palate-rousing lemony sourness, there is some mildly wheaty/cidery flavor that comes through, creating an illusion of sweetness. The acidity is just beautiful - the acetic character soft and gentle and makes this beer remarkably refreshing. Funk is represented with some barnyard-like flavors. Finishes long, dry, tart and with some tannic character. Wonderful.

M: Light in body in a way that almost makes me think it's watery. Surprisingly gentle carbonation, this beer is remarkably refreshing. The finish is pretty spectacular in it's length and gentleness.

D: This is hysterically drinkable. Half a bottle is gone in 15 minutes.

Notes: While I pretty much love everything Cantillon does, I wonder if the arrival of Russian River will stimulate Cantillon to do something new/different, much like Nasum reinvigorated Napalm Death. That said, I could drink this every day and not get tired of it.

*Edit 26 March 2011**
Joe brought a bottle of the 2001 vintage (bottled in 2003). Thanks, man!
The nose is beautiful, bright lemony sourness, with low tannins, low earthy funk, a more delicate and restrained gueuze. The sourness is interesting in that it has only a lemony character without the grapefruit presence. The palate is similar - all-round, there's a great lemony sourness, nice brightness, nice grassy and hay character. Nice lemon rind character. Great finish, this is a refreshing gueuze. Mellow stuff. 4.5/4.5/4.5/5/5

**Edit 29 Jan 2016**
2004 vintage, bottled in 2006.
The nose is surprisingly muted with a little honey, must, some preserved lemon, a little tannin, mild mushroom, a hint of acetone. A beautiful, softly carbonated mouthfeel is present, carrying with it flavors of salty driftwood, preserved lemons, a little floral honey and a nice funk. Quaffable, though a little bit over the hill, maybe? 3.5/4/4.5

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle 2003.

Poured cloudy orange color with a large fizzy head that was lasting with good lacing. Moderate sour yeasty aroma. Medium body with a dry texture. Medium sour citrus flavor with a medium sour finish of moderated duration.

This is a standout beer.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle with a 2005 label on the neck, a cork that says bottled in 07 and a label on the back that says it was bottled 01/2008 so I guess this was brewed in 05 and must be about four years old. It smells a little musty and a little citrusy, mmm gueuze..Clear yellow color, still. The flavor is a little sour but so smooth it is way to easy to drink. This is a nice gueuze and I will be adding it to my list of gueuzes to cellar.

update 06/2011 2005 vintage

Fucking fantastic

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

A. Hazy, and light honey with a touch of orange. Head is 1/2" and has nice retention.

S. Very lemony and citrusy with a touch of horseblanket, cloves, and a little bit of peppercorn.

T. Zingy and sour- very funky. A little bit of wet basement, a little touch of orange and some horseblanket/farmhouse.

M. Light and thin in the mouth. Great for style.

D. To be so drastically sour its a very light, refreshing and drinkable beer.

This was shared with ATLbeerDog and Pullen. Thanks, Dan, for sharing this one with us.

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 vintage received from Dyan, thanks man. This one concludes the Lou Pepe trinity for me.

Appearance: Wow, these old Cantillon bottles sure do have some interesting stuff growing beneath the foil... Not entirely sure what this black gunk is all over the bottleneck, but I'll just ignore it. Into my tumbler, the beer is a hazy wheat color that would probably be clearer had I given the bottle a couple of weeks to settle, but I can't be bothered. Vigorous pouring left me with about an inch of pure white foam, which retains surprisingly well for gueuze. Purdy.

Smell: Nice footy funk, damp wood, dirty socks, moldy basement, headcheese and a hint of dead raccoon.

Taste & mouthfeel: Lemony and tart, but surprisingly soft on the acidity. Flavors of green apple skin, cider vinegar, dry white wine and even a touch of tannic red wine (presumably from the barrel). Complex and well balanced, a definite sipper but very easy to drink. Gentle carbonation, enough to give it a bubbly mouthfeel but not much more. Delicious stuff, one of the best around.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Vintage 2005

So I opened this one with my family on thanksgiving. My mom and fiance turned up their noses, my dad really liked it, my brother-in-law thought it was okay, and my sister liked it well enough once she added some orange juice. That last bit made me cringe, but what the hell, its a holiday! To each her own.

Anyway, on to what really matters most, my opinion. jk

a: Typical clear, pale yellow with a short lived fizzy white head.

s: Milder than other gueuezes I've tried, but all the usual suspects are here. Acidic apple cider vinegar, earthy wheat notes, and that prickly funk I have yet to come up with an adequate adjective for.

t: Here again, this was quite approachable and very much like a dry champagne. This was not as obnoxiously acidic as I'm used to, but it was a nice change of pace. Plus I didn't get any heartburn! I've always scoffed when I've heard people suggest that gueuze is a good gateway beer for wine lovers. In this case, however, its quite true. The rotten, barnyardy qualities are very much in the backround, though they aren't completely masked.

m: This was tart and lively, though the carbonation was a little short-lived.

d: I was hesitant to buy 750ml of a beer that I was sure would give me acid reflux. I love 'em but they are painful. This was far from mild, but it was tame enough that I could have easily tackled the whole bottle myself. I am glad that I shared this one though. Definitely recommended as a gateway into sour beer.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Vintage 2005 bottle, split with trep and friends during a Thanksgiving holiday beer tasting.

Pours a crystal clear, golden yellow body with a fair amount of carbonation fueling a nicely retained, bone-white head. Although I'm yet to warm up to the Gueuze style, the aroma of Lou Pepe was intoxicating, with (thankfully) mellowed acetic acid, wet oak, and tart apple peel that gets balanced by a light malt presence and a trace of grassy hops.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, with a bit more sourness coming through. It's definitely not heavy on the vinegar, which I liked, and the dryness is manageable. Citrus notes of orange peel and oak linger on the finish. Body is crisp, surprisingly refreshing, and light. Overall, a fantastic brew, but I'm glad my friend footed the hefty price tag for this one ($25.99!).

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Vintage 2005 bottling. Purchased at Ryan and Casey in Greenfield, MA a couple of months ago for $13.99.

A- Golden orange. Bright white head.

S- mostly sour. some near vinegar notes.

T- I'm not the biggest sour drinker, but this one seems to be a very nice balance. This is fairly mellow in the sourness, and it gains some drinkability points as your palate gets used to it.

M- Again, really this just has the perfect amount of sourness for me. It's not super intense and is rounded out by a nice smoothness.

D- I find this fairly drinkable overall, and quite drinkable for the style. I'm still trying to get used to the style to some extent as I don't have many opportunities to try sours. But I can certainly recognize that this a great beer in this style.

4.51/5  rDev +2.7%

A wonderful 2005 vintage bottle. I had waited a long time to finally be able to try this one, so when given the chance to trade for it I jumped at the chance. Served chilled from the cellar, this corked, capped, and wrapped 750ml bottle was decanted into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 11/16/2008.

The pour was wonderful. The best I could have expected for sure. Rich, and bright, vibrant golden yellow in color. A large, perhaps three inch high head of white foam then came up over the top and settled down wonderfully into a one inch layer of foam that came up across the entire top of the glass. Gorgeous side glass lacing and a wonderful presence of carbonation.

The aroma was a bit lighter then I was expecting, but still tremendously good. Rich nose of tart apple vinegar, sour grapes and a touch of wet hay. Enormously complex, as it warms it comes across with a light wheat or herbal like quality and just the tiniest amount of spice prickling the nose. The flavor was more of the same. Rich notes of sour and biting vinegar flavor coming across on it right away. A little bit one sided, and not as huge as I would have wanted given the stature to which this one is held to, but still extremely solid and worth it. Light grapes and even a touch of wheat coming through mid palate, especially as it starts to warm. Mellow grassy flavors are mingling very well within the flavor now. Smooth, easy transgression with the carbonation being nearly perfect here, and a light feel that was just spot on. As for drinkability, this one is top notch; I could not have found an easier beer in the style to put down.

Overall while not my favorite sour I have ever had, it is up there. This is about as solid as they come, and priced right along with the upper echelon of beers. I would have no issue trying this again, and to be honest would be curious to see how it holds up in the even earlier vintages.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

2004 batch, bottled 2006. Served at 55º.

Poured into a Cantillon tasting glass, and a Boon Geuze tumbler simultaneously. In the tumbler there was a creamy cap of white foam, with a nice lively surface. I ended up decanting from the larger glass into the smaller one, producing two fingers of foam. Brilliant amber tone with very high clarity. Visible carbonation trails rise through the liquid.

Let this one breathe a little after pulling the cork. As it comes to room temperature, it has notes of musty oak, wildflower compost, wet hay, lemon zest, and spicy tamarind. Mild citric sourness in the taste, immediately seems much mellower than the Classic Gueuze. Long, dry tannic oak finish. Notes of hay, lemon, orange peel, and cheese. Velvety carbonation that gives it effervescence and incredible lightness.

This was a birthday present, so i'll be savoring the 750 all to myself ;D

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with little to no head.

Nose is reminiscent of marbled blue cheeses and fresh pungent breads like rye, with a chalkboard white oaky component as well.

Palate is assaulted with sourness right off the bat, with bitter apple and Champagne-like fruitiness. In fact, this beer comes across simply as a low carbonated sour Champagne, if there is such a thing.

If you're accustomed to sour offerings, it's easy to drink. Otherwise, you may want to stick to that bottle of Champagne in the back of your refrigerator instead.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours out a cloudy effervescent with lots of small white bubbles. One finger of suds and small lacing.
Cherry and lemon zest with just a hint of a caramel sweetness underlying the extreme sourness.
Taste is lemony orange with just a tad of sweetness. Mmmmm good.
Almost an asprin-like feel to the mouth after the sourness goes away. Very dry but with lemon peel with a touch of caramel sweetness.
Great session brew if I could get this all the time. Great!

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

This 2000 vintage beer came in a corked bottle with a crown cap covering it, and it was a good thing too, as the cork appeared to have dried up and shrunk in upright storage. The cap had done its job, and the beer was effervescent, clear, and Champagne like. The smell was very mature and ripe, and the aging seemed to have taken a lot of the funky edges off. The smell reminded me of fresh squeezed lemon juice or a cider made from green apples. Taste was very dry and sour with no hint of any sweetness that might have ever been present. A little bit of hay and cheddar were apparent in the taste as well. Despite all this acidity and complexity, it was smooth and refreshing, and not harsh at all. Airy and slippery with a high level of puckering feel. Easy to drink except for the steep price of admission.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

I can take a geuze, some are sweeter, some more mellow. I was expecting the mellow with complexity, based on what I heard, based on the rating. What I got, and important this was a 2000 Vintage, was an absolutely sour geuze, with some edge taken off. Its lemony with some ginger. From fruit peaks out, but its sour and while I finished 2/3 of a litre, I could not tolerate the entire bomber. Perhaps I did not get off to a great start with mold on top of the cap, and into the initial aroma.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

2004 vintage on tap at Teresa's Next Door...
Appears a light, slightly hazed gold with a small, white head that quckly dissipates into a mild bubbly cap.
Smell is of funky barnyard, horseblanket, honey, earthy, musty, with hints of apple, and oaky vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with notes of nectarines, and apricots.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart, effervescent, and lightly sour on the finish.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze from Brasserie Cantillon