Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

#330

Ratings: 2,431 |  Reviews: 724
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz pour at Monk's, served in a flute-type glass

A - solid two fingers of creamy soft pink colored foam, slowly retreats to a thin layer + ring leaving a thick coat of lacing down the glass. the beer is a very pretty red color and slightly hazy.

S - sweet vanilla, oak...a little sweeter than anticipated. the cherries come through in the nose, but a little subtle, graceful. not picking up much in the way of lactic or sour.

T - yum. out of nowhere the mouth explodes with fresh and lovely sour cherries with a sharp acidic and lactic bite. if all cherries tasted like this i would eat them everyday, incredibly fresh and ripe. touches of oak and vanilla finish it off. perfect.

M - light-medium body, carries an unsuspecting creaminess and slightly syrupy, but refreshing. playful carbonation dances around the mouth.

D - i was expecting to like this, not love it. i was wrong. so delicious fresh, I am psyched to go home and see how a bottle with some time on it is doing. a true work of art this this. cheers to Cantillon.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Friend brought back a bottle from New Orleans. Heck yeah! Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

I popped off the cap and then looked away. All of the sudden, I hear the cork pop and fly. Now I know I'm in for something good. The pour is a bright red with a pink head. Definitely different from anything I've had before. Major points for the pop and brilliance.

The nose is funky feet. Pedio! Some tart cherries, too, but mostly funk.

The taste is the most sour thing I've ever sipped. Dry and unique... almost like chomping on a sour cherry warhead. The carbonation delivers the dry good wetland the mouthfeel that saps and then produces saliva in my mouth is crazy unique. Wow. The drinkability is a bit hampered by the over the top flavors, but I'm loving every bit of it. Wow.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

When you say the word Lambic you can exchange the word Cantillon because Cantillon IS Lambic. You can not get more authentic lambic style beer from anyone. This Kriek is dry, fruity, fizzy, sour, foxy, horse blanket, and earthy. Lots of flavor layers and not for the Lindemen's drinkers. Comparing Lindeman's to Cantillon is like comparing Bert Grant's Imperial Stout to Harvey and Son's Imperial. It may say they are the same style but they are two very different beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Updating review on 7/19/15 as I go through my tasting notes over the past few months. Enjoyed this one out of a 375 mL bottle at Beer Kitchen in April. Label is stamped with a bottling date of 11/27/14, making this probably the youngest I've enjoyed this beer at a little under five months old. Poured into a classic Belgian tulip glass.

Appearance (4.75) - One of the most striking beers I've ever seen, with the body a somewhat cloudy/opaque cherry red hue. Bright, with almost a neon-like quality to it as the sunlight hits the glass. Atop the body sits a middling pinkish-white head of medium-sized suds. Retention is not for long, taking a few minutes to settle as a ringlet of foam around the sides of the glass with no discernible lacing to be found. Still, the color is the hero of this beer's look.

Smell (4.75) - As to be expected, the aroma leads with a wafting of sour cherry, followed closely by funky wet hay and musty oak characteristics to give the fruit some balance. It's that musty quality that really makes this beer what it is and separates it from, not only fruit beers, but other beers in the kriek style.

Taste (4.5) - The taste follows the smell quite closely, with a balance of sour cherry, barnyard funk and oaky tannins. There is also a sort of candy cinnamon undertone that I often sense from really well-done cherry-infused beers. It's not sweet or artificial like candy, but it's not a cinnamon-stick kind of cinnamon either. As it warms, the sour become more intense and the cherry really overpowers the funk and oak characteristics in a good way.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Light bodied and moderately carbonated, with a fairly dry finish in spite of the fruit. There is also a definite puckering feel, especially as the temperature increases over time.

Overall (4.5), just a fantastic beer. It was the first kriek I ever had, early on in my foray into the wonderful world of sour beers, and it's nice to have it again now that I have so much more experience. It still holds the top spot for me as far as krieks go, and it will be hard to find one that can top it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a small snifter. Pours a deep raspberry, with a thin off-white head. Nose is tart cherry, and palate is dark fruit, cherry, with a hint of balsalmic vinegar. There's also a hint of a sweet aftertaste here. Overall, a deeply complex beer. A treat to try.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +5%

A - Deep hazy beautiful reddish purple. Carbonation and lacing was perfect and long lasting.

S - Tons of horse blanket, band aide and sour fruit with additional grassy weed notes.

T - Taste is incredible, lots of sour and cherry, with exceptional balance. There is also a yeasty vanilla note that is a bit medicinal, but still pleasant. The flavor evolves as the beer warms and you can let every sip sit on your tongue.

M/D - Mouthfeel was biting but smoothed out quickly with great aftertaste and a slight sour burn. Extremely drinkable with such a great balance!

4.58/5  rDev +5%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours a deep ruby with a light off white mousse. Head retention isn't great but that is expected with the style.

Earthy funk, sour, a touch woody and a hint of fruit in the nose.

Starts with a brief hit of sweetness and big cherry flavour. This is quickly followed by a sour vinegary hit and follows again with cherry character and a hint of funk. Just great.

Medium body but high carbonation is biting and makes this beer nice a refreshing. Dry and crisp, really good.

For a style which by its very acidic nature is somewhat hard to drink this realy steps up and provides a beer with lots of other flavours going on to counteract it. A great refreshing beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Had on-tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful bright red color. It has a small pink head on it that fizzles out quickly and leaves no lace. There are also some carbonation bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. This just looks beautiful.

S - It smells of tart sour cherries and a big barnyard funk. There are some musty grassy notes as well, and it smells a bit dry.

T - There is a big sour cherry tartness right off the bat. There is a big barnyard funkiness that works really well with the cherries. The finish is dry and a bit sour. Awesome taste.

M - It has a medium body and good tingly carbonation. It goes down good, and has some mouth puckering sourness.

O - This has awesome drinkability. It goes down good, and the flavor is just awesome. Overall, I thought this was just an awesome beer. It is my first Cantillon, and it is unlike any sour that I've had so far. I highly recommend trying this.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Deep red/purple, with fluffy head that dissipates quickly.
Smell: Cherries, jam, and cheese.
Taste: Tart, cherries, and jam.
Mouthfeel: Light
Overall: Excellent kreik from Cantillon.

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - hazy red with a white which doesn't last

S - Funk and cherry

T - funky barnyard, cherry tartness a bit of grain complex yet balanced

F - champagne-like mouthfeel

O - Amazing stuff not too acidic, tart. Complex but clear taste. A true reference for the style

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5