Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

#344

Ratings: 2,473 |  Reviews: 729
4.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a small snifter. Pours a deep raspberry, with a thin off-white head. Nose is tart cherry, and palate is dark fruit, cherry, with a hint of balsalmic vinegar. There's also a hint of a sweet aftertaste here. Overall, a deeply complex beer. A treat to try.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.58/5  rDev +5%

A - Deep hazy beautiful reddish purple. Carbonation and lacing was perfect and long lasting.

S - Tons of horse blanket, band aide and sour fruit with additional grassy weed notes.

T - Taste is incredible, lots of sour and cherry, with exceptional balance. There is also a yeasty vanilla note that is a bit medicinal, but still pleasant. The flavor evolves as the beer warms and you can let every sip sit on your tongue.

M/D - Mouthfeel was biting but smoothed out quickly with great aftertaste and a slight sour burn. Extremely drinkable with such a great balance!

4.58/5  rDev +5%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Pours a deep ruby with a light off white mousse. Head retention isn't great but that is expected with the style.

Earthy funk, sour, a touch woody and a hint of fruit in the nose.

Starts with a brief hit of sweetness and big cherry flavour. This is quickly followed by a sour vinegary hit and follows again with cherry character and a hint of funk. Just great.

Medium body but high carbonation is biting and makes this beer nice a refreshing. Dry and crisp, really good.

For a style which by its very acidic nature is somewhat hard to drink this realy steps up and provides a beer with lots of other flavours going on to counteract it. A great refreshing beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Had on-tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful bright red color. It has a small pink head on it that fizzles out quickly and leaves no lace. There are also some carbonation bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. This just looks beautiful.

S - It smells of tart sour cherries and a big barnyard funk. There are some musty grassy notes as well, and it smells a bit dry.

T - There is a big sour cherry tartness right off the bat. There is a big barnyard funkiness that works really well with the cherries. The finish is dry and a bit sour. Awesome taste.

M - It has a medium body and good tingly carbonation. It goes down good, and has some mouth puckering sourness.

O - This has awesome drinkability. It goes down good, and the flavor is just awesome. Overall, I thought this was just an awesome beer. It is my first Cantillon, and it is unlike any sour that I've had so far. I highly recommend trying this.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: Deep red/purple, with fluffy head that dissipates quickly.
Smell: Cherries, jam, and cheese.
Taste: Tart, cherries, and jam.
Mouthfeel: Light
Overall: Excellent kreik from Cantillon.

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - hazy red with a white which doesn't last

S - Funk and cherry

T - funky barnyard, cherry tartness a bit of grain complex yet balanced

F - champagne-like mouthfeel

O - Amazing stuff not too acidic, tart. Complex but clear taste. A true reference for the style

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2004 vintage..

an absolutely stunning day here in the lovely garden state (stop snickering).. a day deserving of a nice bottle to top off a day of work work work.

eyes...
this pours like many a cantillon, flat and it looks like fruit punch, murky hawaiin punch, the carbonation is sneaky as it streams up the side and feeds a micro o-ring. these are not usually spectacular looking brews, especially cantillon from my experience but this is fine looking.

nose...
for a second I thought of rodenbach, then it got deeper... earthy rotten wood, not the kind you run across hiking the kind in an old house, sort of musty, cherries that run into bubble gum.. sourness courts your sense and entices a sip

taste etc...
first sip is bracing tart, almost saline.. ahh, cantillon. I can understand why a lot of people will never get their beers but if you liked sour patch kids you should be at home here, 4 years in the cellar and this sucker still delivers. the carbonation is the usual perfection from cantillon, so light and airy .. prickles just enough to carry across your mouth. This makes you salivate like a mad dog with all the crazy sourness abounding. once adjusted to the sour you get the cherry notes clear, and they dominate for about 2-3 seconds fading off into sourness/bitterness/salivation... so damn refreshing, an amazing product. the body works as a nice light drinking thing but the flavor is so powerful it just strikes a balance. I could drink this all afternoon in the summer....

verdict?
superb.

4.57/5  rDev +4.8%

750ml into pint glass. Bottled in 2007.

A- Aggressive pour conjures up head that quickly settles. Hazy amber/ruby with pink berry highlights. Head is mostly white and very thin.

S- Tart, sour. Ah, Cantillon. A bit musty, a bit funky, the fruit sweetness is apparent but not overbearing.

T- Oh so good. Tart, puckering, dry. The berry sweetness is spot-on, and is balanced incredibly well by the overall puckering tartness. I'm really digging it. Vinegar, for sure, but perhaps I'm becoming more accustomed to sours as I put it down as an afterthought.

M- Dry, tart, sour. Intense, but very tasty.

D- High. I really like this stuff, flavor, body, composition, everything is just wonderful. Highly recommended.

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%

Surprise package from THECPJ, cheers Shane! Bottled in 2010, 375ml green bottle. Poured into a Rodenbach flute.

A - Pours a gorgeous ruby-red with a thick head of vibrant, rose-colored foam that exhibits wonderful retention, never fully dissipating. Absolutely beautiful!
S - Tart cherries, lemon juice, hay, and just a touch of that Cantillon funk. Quite nice, but the cherries aren't as pronounced as I'd hoped.
T - OK, there's the cherries! Strong flavors of tart pie cherries with a touch of brown sugar, red wine vinegar, cinnamon, oak, and a bit of funk. Such an amazing balance between tart, sweet, funky, and spicy!
M - Slick, with a medium body and crisp carbonation. Exactly how I like my lambics.
O - I can't imagine a more drinkable Kriek, this one is right up my alley! Excellent.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pink, tropical punch red, 1 finger of pinkish head.

S: Fruity, dry cherries, crisp and tart, cherry blossoms.

T: Sour, dry, cherries, no sweetness, an almost lactic quality like milk.

M: Dry and acidic, medium low carbonation.

O: Awesome, smooth must try if you can ever swing it. I drank this one at the brewery Cantillon. It came free with the brewery tour.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright and clear ruby red with a soft light pink head that surprisingly takes a while to fade.

Tart cherries, almonds, and brett funk in the aroma. Barnyard and oak. A good amount of vanilla.

Tart cherries and lactic acid upfront. Very tart. Barnyard and musty earthy brett character. Perhaps some acetic acid present. Lambic is very present along with cherries. Nice mingling of the two. Lots of funk and acidity as well as some oak. Bright cherry character gives way to a slightly more rich cherry character as it warms.

Highly carbonated. Acidity fills the mouth and lingers. Some tannins as well.

Though very tart, it is not at all one dimensional. Lots of cherry character though just a touch less complex and jammy as Drie Fonteinen. Still lovely.

4.56/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon