Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Ratings: 2,401 |  Reviews: 718
2.85/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Cloudy reddish brown. Pours a finger of slightly pink head.

S: Funky sweaty lambic sour. Very vinegar-like nose. Slight cherry, but with a goaty acid smell.

T: Dry, puckering and bitter. This one stings the saliva glands under the tongue. Slightly salty towards the end, but it's hard to get over the mouth pucker this beer causes.

M: Can I say "puckering" three times in one review? Fairly high carbonation, too, but everything takes a back seat to the sour here.

D: Low.

I thought this beer was very similar to the New Belgium Lips of Faith Kriek...which was another beer that was too sour for me.

2.9/5  rDev -31.8%

Bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Dated 2008.

Pours a bright cherry red, with little to no lacing or head. Looks like cherry juice.

Nose is sour cherries, sugar, citrus and cream, a touch of that lambic horse blanket funkiness. Musky.

Wow, is this brew ever sour! I thought I was prepared for such an astringent brew, but I was certainly mistaken. A real palate cleanser. Sour, sour cherries with vinegar and oaky, musky flavors. Demands one's entire attention.

Medium bodied, with a light carbonation to deliver the sourness right to your door. However, the acidic quality provides a real burn that I'm not enjoying.

As high a quality of lambic beer that this is, I have to say I really didn't understand it. Not an enjoyable experience whatsoever. This was just oppressively sour and was a chore to get through. Instead of sour, fresh cherries, I just got...well, sour. Well made, but definitely not my thing. I might try it again in the future to see if a different batch works for me, but as for now, I'll have to count myself among those who just don't dig authentic lambics.

2.95/5  rDev -30.6%

Both a 2005 & 2006 vintage were tasted, poured into a Lindemann's flute.

Pours red, clear, light carbonation and a nice pink head.

Aroma of tart cherries.

Taste was very tart cherries, farmhouse, sour, some musty taste.

Mouthfeel was flat and lightly cleansing.

Overall, not good. I would definitely drink this fresh as the 2-3 years of aging didn't help this beer [actually, I'm pretty sure it hurt it a lot].

2.95/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

2007 on cork - 375ml bottle

Small, white bubbly head. A cloudy dull maroon color.

I didn't even have to put my nose up to it to smell this one. I was at least 3 feet away and it was pungent. Vinegar, deep, rich cheery aromas and a light sweetness all make up a wonderful funky bouquet of smells. Slight hint of band-aid and barnyard funk.

Taste was unforgiving. Lots of vinegar and sourness. You can't really even feel the carbonation until it hits the back of your throat because the sourness takes over your whole mouth. I feel it in the insides of my cheeks.

As my mouth gets more accustomed to the drink I can start to taste a very light cherry flavor that develops in the aftertaste. The acidity of this beer is dominating.

It coats my mouth with a buttery feeling and then leaves it dry like a red wine. Amazingly, it hasn't effected my teeth much. Usually with sours they will start to feel a little sensitive and gritty.

I have to say, this was brutal.

2.96/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very dark pink with a huge light pink head that fades down to about 1/2 finger and lingers.

Lots of sweet cherry aroma with some acidity and oak.

Starts off with very sweet cherries almost like cherry pie filling. Some vinegar and oak on the back end. Not so much traditional sourness as just biting acidity.

Lighter bodied beer with medium high carbonation.

Not horrible, but below average and nowhere near the standard I usually expect from Cantillon. The cherry sweetness and massive acidity create a medicinal taste.

2.96/5  rDev -30.4%

750ml bottle, bottled last year. Bright, circus red with very little head. The smell is sour, sour sour. A little like dirty socks soaked in cherry juice. The taste is puckering at first, but it mellows a bit as you get used to it. It finishes with a nice warm sour cherry taste, but wow...that start. The mouthfeel is soft, buttery, silky and just terrific. The drinkability is just severly limited by the sourness. Definitely a beer to have on a full stomach. On an empty one, it is so sour I just can't push through. I'd have to say this is one I admire the artistry but the art just don't do it for me.

2.97/5  rDev -30.1%

Okay, this one just did not do anything for me. This was the first of three fruity beers I tried in a row, but my tastebuds were just shot ofter this one for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, but maybe I just don't like the style (Kriek's). Too bitter and tart with a aftertaste that just continues too long. I may grow into this style later, but just not one of my favorite lambics.

Appearance: Glowing red; no head

Aroma: Very sour; sickly sweet

Taste: Very dry; sour; tart fruit; lingering fruit flavor

Remarks: Refreshing; not bad for a kriek, but still not my thing overall

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.06/5  rDev -28%

Pours a peach-tinged brown, just a dark pink really, with nice white head, but not enough of it. Just a thin rim of cloud, although lacing is delightfully dense and sticky. Strong bead - good-looking fruit beer, really. Could use more head though.

Nose is intensely sour. Large amount of brett, with a pongy brie rankness to it, and a large metallic coppery whiff as well. A fresh tart character at the back probably suggests fruit, but there is not a lot of distinctive cherry character. An impressive funk, but it just seems very brett, and I suspect this nose could be quite easily homebrewed with the right ingredients. I'm prepared to be wrong, though.

Oh yeah, taste is hugely sour. A real citric acid kind of intensity all over that. Right from the front taste my tongue feels like a layer is coming off it. Gets richer and slightly more mature towards the mid, with more of that pongy cheese rankness, some rubber and leather notes and some soil coming through as well, and what do you know - of all things - some tart, underripe cherry character as well. Yeah the richness on the late back palate are fruity hints, but the sourness really just pervades everything in a way I haven't experienced in a beer before. An intense, teeth-grinding, head-expanding explosion that makes you shriek "Yes! Come in my mouth some more, you sour-faced bitch!" Very impressive, for want of a better word.

The mouthfeel rips the fucking enamel from your teeth and I can feel ulcers popping out in my mouth. It just feels like swallowing acid. Insane, and painfully drying. It's too impressive for me to hate it though.

An unforgettable beer experience, but by 'unforgettable' I think I mean I will be getting major restorative work done on my digestive system as a result, and will forever live with the pain. A whole bottle was unbearable, and half of this went down the drain. This beer is a lot of things, but drinkable absolutely is not one of them.

3.08/5  rDev -27.5%

12.7 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions for seven dollars, split with my girlfriend this evening while finishing up American Gangster

A-Red color that resembled my tee shirt, barely any head but the one that was there was incredibly bubbly, no retention or lacing, went flat fast

S-Sour cherries, funk, vinegar, hay, other tarty fruits that could not be distinguished, hint of raspberries, and citric acid

T-The puckering effect was a bit overwhelming, cherries were too sour in my opinion, very vinegar-like and acidic, funky yeast in the middle, and a wine-like dry finish, needs some sweetness or more malt to balance it out, too funky for me

M-Tarty mouthfeel, thin body, more carbonation that there appeared to be, thin body, no taste really lasted after the initial sour bite

D-Could not drink much more than a bottle of this probably, only had two to three ounces and still was a little too much for me, heavy but low ABV

Not overly impressed with this but still not bad, first Kriek ever tasted, would like to try another vintage of this and see if it gets better with any age, recommended for fans of sour ales, this was not so much of a lambic in my opinion

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%

First I will say this is very traditional and well made,but Iam not a fan of the lambic style I have found out.Poured great orange/reddish color with nice looking spritzy head that went quick.Smell had some cherrystone in it maybe a little vanilla?Taste about knocked me over the sourness was too much for me to handle,was expecting a little soureness but this was overpowering.Like I said well made just not a fan of the style.

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Not as good as the gueuze, but still quite a nice beer. Beautiful appearance. A little more tart than I would have preferred, but not bad.

This beer poured ruby red and opaque, with head of tiny white bubbles contrasting the red body...gorgeous. Aroma was gueuze-like with some barnyard funk. Flavor was just slightly sweet, very tart, but not as fruity as I expected. Mouthfeel was clean but not crisp...lingers in the mouth and throat.

Pretty good, but not as good as the Cantillon Gueuze. I had this at the Cantillon brewery in Anderlecht, in the Brussels suburbs.

3.14/5  rDev -26.1%

3.16/5  rDev -25.6%

3.19/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A shiny reddish orange, I would consider it firey the head quickly dissipates.

Smell: It has the like the “funky” smell that the other Cantillon product I have tried has, I can smell the cherry but barely. Honestly, I do not love the smell of this beverage; perhaps my palette isn’t developed enough yet.

Taste: Tart, overwhelmingly tart. The cherries are defiantly there as is a little sweetness. The aftertaste is quite pleasing, and as I drink it the sourness becomes less overwhelming. As I drink the beer the acidity begins to become less of an issue, it is still pretty tart but I would classify it as acquired taste.

Mouthfeel: Very balanced, a nice light snap of carbonation. I do like the mouthfeel of the beer.

Drinkability: I am glad I only bought a 375 mL bottle, as I would most likely not be able to finish a full sized bottle alone. I really want to like this beer, and I think I need to get myself more used to the sheer tartness and review this one again.

3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

Pinkish strawberry colour with a thumb sized, bubbly head that is a pink shade of white and fades to a thin lacing around the edges.

Very sour on the nose with a light cherry aroma but also some raspberries. Other than the incredibly sour and tart like aroma this one is pretty clean on the nose with a tiny amount of acidity.

Light cherry taste to begin with that is overridden by the incredibly sour taste and a lot of acidity. There is some yeast and tart like flavours too but to be honest the sourness is so intense it masks most of the rest of the taste.

A smooth texture to this one with a light to medium body and an incredibly sour and slightly dry feel with mild carbonation.

I felt the taste was too sour to fully enjoy and it made it a lot harder to detect the subtle flavours of this beer.

1001 Beers Blog:

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish brown color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of tart cherries along with some Belgian yeast, vinegar-like smell which is normal for the style.

T: The taste starts out with a very strong cherry sourness that dominates and doesn't yield too much to anything else. There's a little bit of Belgian yeast but just like the smell, the taste is very acidic and vinegary into the after-taste.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: A little tasty if you're into the extreme sourness, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, while I don't mind sours now and again, this one just didn't appeal to me.

3.25/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a white wine glass.

A: A rosy red color with absolutely no head.

S: Tart cherries with the faint hint of musky and funky yeast.

T: The overwhelming taste of puckering tart and sour cherries dominate the palate. The funky yeast is always in the background.

M: Very little carbonation along with a thin body.

D: Not very drinkable at all, I didn't even finish the bottle. I guess that lambic is an acquired taste and I have yet to acquire it.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon