Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Ratings: 2,400 |  Reviews: 718
4.27/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.91/5  rDev +15.5%

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Had a small bottle of the 2006 vintage this past weekend. Poured it into my Cantillon tulip glass I purchased at the brewery when I visited in spring 2007. Pours a pinkish red color with little-to-no carbonation. The taste was prickly to the point of being very sour. I don't remember this kriek being so powerful on the taste buds. But that's what I like about Cantillon: lambics that taste how they should. Instead of sweet, this taste tells you that you are drinking a lambic. I would not recommend this to the first time taster, but for a lambic lover, Cantillon makes the best on the market.

2.54/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2007 vintage bottle into a glass. I tackled a 750mL on my own. Bad idea...

Now, before I go into this, I want to preface my review with the comment that I really enjoy Cantillon. I do. I love the Lou Pepe series, I've enjoyed every aged Cantillon I've had, and if my recent trading history were a romantic comedy, it would be titled, "Must Love Cantillons." Keep that in mind as you read.

A: Pours a clear, dark cherry red color with short-lived light pink head. Low-carbed as lambic usually is.

S: Tart dark cherries, oak, vinegar, and light lactic sourness. There's a horsey funk as well. The aroma is actually outstanding, and if that's all I had to take away from the beer, I'd be happy.

T: As with the smell, a flavor that is ruled by tart, dark cherries with a light lactic sourness. Tannins and a funky flavor in the finish. It has a dry, acidic note at the close, which is ok in small quantities but gets me coughing by the time I'm halfway done with the bottle. It's insanely imbalanced. Feels like I'm chewing on a battery. Maybe the younger ones are better, but I had a fresh bottle at the brewery last year and that one hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geneva Convention forbade Cantillon Kriek to be poured over the wounds of POWs. It's that intense.

M: Light-bodied, low carbonation. The finish is extremely dry and acetic, and after a while I am reaching for my Tums. Unpleasant to say the least. Masochism in a bottle.

D: This is unpleasantly acidic and a chore to drink. I've tackled full 750mLs twice now (once at the brewery, once at home) and I can safely say I'm never opening a bottle of this alone again. It's just not meant for human consumption out of a 750mL. Maybe to clean your car engine. I'd give this a lower score overall (a C- for a distinctly unpleasant beer is being generous), but other vintages have been outstanding and pleasant. So I'm averaging it.

P.S. After pounding on my mouth and esophagus for a while, it went to work on my stomach and gave me diarrhea.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.91/5  rDev -8%

Attractive red-tinted brown color, with a foamy, almost pink head that settles really fast. Lacing is spotty but prolific. Very attractive lambic.

The nose is a little weak in power, basically I am getting an earthy, almost musty aroma and almost nothing else besides a hint of the sourness I know is coming.

Hugely vinegary-forward, tons of acidity and puckering bitterness. The cherries are pushed way to the back and the tartness is the first and almost only thing you meet.

The mouthfeel is thin, but the carbonation is so good that it actually prevents the sourness from lingering too long and spoiling a good thing.

The finish is still quite sour and puckering, but as mentioned it's very clean. This is a well-attenuated and very interesting kriek, and while the boldness and the price definitely put it out of everyday drinking range, it's always a nice little present to yourself.

3.52/5  rDev -17.2%

375ml bottle (2005 vintage)...one of several purchased on clearance - $5/bottle - Really?!? Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bright but hazy, gleaming cranberry juice like pinkish tinged red. Only the smallest of skim coats of loose white bubbles sits on the surface momentarily before giving it up and leaving behind a thin, fine bubbled collar.

S - Very healthy dose of brett induced funk hits the nose immediately. A bit musty, cellar like around the barnyard funk mixed with oak. All of this surrounds a very tart lactic and acetic sour cherry aroma in the center of it all.

T - Wow - sour, sour, sour. Immediately hit with very sour cherries, extreme lactic sourness, some nice horseblankety funk, some oak. Did I say this is sour??? This rivals Beatification for the most intense sour I've ever experienced - this is actually a bit too much for me.

M - Puckering is the first word that comes to mind. After every swallow, my saliva glands feel like they are literally dripping, fighting with everything they have to counteract this sourness. This actually is a bit reminiscent of some of the worst heartburn I've ever had...just with cherries added. This is just a bit intense!

D - This is a rough one. In small doses, this is an interesting and pretty tasty beer. The full bottle is ending up being a bit much. Gotta find something to counteract this acidity before I attempt to lay down for bed tonight.

My first lambic, spent the $19 on the 750ml just hoping for the best. I figured anything Cantillon is a good way to start. Bottle date is 10-21-08. Splitting it with my better half, poured into wine glasses. Looks and smells pretty much exactly how I thought it would. Pours a hazy red, definitely no light coming through this. A small pink fizzy head stays for a minute but pretty much completely disappears except for a small ring around the edge. Smell is funky, sour berry, oak/wood, chardonnay. Now for the taste. Hits me right off the bat with a sour blast. The cherry taste is great here, it tastes completely natural (as it should). Vinegar, definitely lots of tart and sour funk. Musty, oaky, acidic. Lemon, green apple. Chardonnay if you threw a few warheads in it. Leaves the palate as dry as the Sahara, definitely a sipper, yet refreshing. Very carbonated but the extreme sourness takes the focus off that. Alcohol taste is a joke, not a trace of it, you start to think you're drinking some crazy experimental fruit punch instead of a beer. Opens doors in my mind as to what a beer can actually be. Compare this to a Budweiser! It takes a bit but your body gets used to the sourness. This is still a mouth destroying beast though. Chalky finish. A very enjoyable challenge to drink, and so different from any other beers I've had. Drinkability suffers for the obvious reasons, sourness and price tag. 750ml by myself would be killer. I also can't help but remember Sam Adams Cranberry "Lambic", and compare to this, and let out a little 'lol'.

4.42/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +10.4%

2005 bottle, consumed on the high seas, with the girlfriend, on a 40' Tiara. The yeast cake was so rigid that the pour remained unclouded despite the inevitable turbulence. I was shocked by this.

A - Rustic strawberry-red tint, a froth comprised of medium-large soapy bubbles from a hard pour; it's Lambic, what do you expect? Also, see above...

S - The nose is briny, astringent, and also cherry laden; there is an element equally bushy and green, like the harvest of fruit rather than the fruit itself; a theme not unusual for Cantillon. As it airs out, lots of wood and lactic sourness become apparent as well. This is big-boy Kriek.

T - As I said, this is big-boy Kriek. This is quite tart and astringent, and perhaps requires a developed palate to appreciate. Horse funk and old hay are in play here. Fruit flavor is subdued, and it is equally suggestive of bushy and unripe berry as it is evocative of the familiar cherry in the state of jam-confection.

M - Very complex; punchy carbonation quickly segues into a soft silky feel; this is followed by a long drying finish that highlights sulfur, apple and wood; and finally, it leaves a mouth-watering impression.

O - Very good.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Bright cherry color with a somewhat lacking head. The has sour cherries, musky oak and barnyard funk. Very traditional flavor. A tart, funky lambic blended with faint and delicate cherries. Super complex and not overly sweet. The crisp body has a nice dry finish. Truly a masterpiece from cantillon.

A. It has a red-orange color with a limited head and limited lace. It is opaque.
S. smells like vinegar.
T/m. This is extremely acidic and has a strong vinegar taste. Full bodied with a long finish.
O. The cork says this was bottled in 2007 and if that's true then it may have been sitting in Muggs Tavern that whole time. I think it is just too old and past it's prime.

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon