Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Ratings: 2,407 |  Reviews: 719

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375mL (2013) into a tulip. Pours a cranberry red w/ a 1/2-inch-finger head that settles to a soft pink film.

Aroma is fruity and tart, both sweet and acidic. Seems more raspberry than cherry on the nose, but the presence of ripe fruit is unmistakable.

Taste is puckeringly sour, and here's where the cherry really kicks in. I can taste the real cherries like in no other kriek I've had (not that I've had many). Wow, I'm impressed. Tastes like fresh cherry pie. Delving beneath that, there's a nice lemony acidity that wipes the palate clean.

Mouthfeel is balanced, drinkable, refreshing with a crisp dry finish. Very nice.

Overall a rock-solid kriek that, for me at least, sets the bar pretty high for the style.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into tulip.

This brew pours a beautiful rich red indicative of the cherries used to make it. No head at all but more carbonation than I was expecting. I did pour very slow because this is my first Cantillon lambic and I wanted to savor every second. It smells of sour cherries. There is nothing artificial hitting the senses. You can smell the wood barrels that this.kriek was aged in. I pleasant funk dominates the palate and by holding it in your mouth for a few seconds you can feel the flavor evolve from sour to earthly with the cherries making their presence known throughout. A good.amount of carbonation and a well balanced mouth feel. Overall, this is the best lambic I have had to date. If it wasn't so hard to get, I would buy more. Absolutely outstanding...

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy dark pink color with pinkish head. Aroma has very nice cherry and lambic funk notes. Perfectly balanced, not too offensive on the funky farmhouse notes. Taste starts intensely fruity, with medium tartness and rustic farmhouse note on the finish. Body is medium, quite smooth and well carbonated. Dry aftertaste. This is definitely my favorite kriek and on of the best lambic beers out there.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon