Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Ratings: 2,405 |  Reviews: 719

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle bottled May 2013, shared with my future father-in-law today, 8/2/2013 before dinner. Poured into a wine glass at approximately cellar temperature. Have had this multiple times in the past, including at the Brasserie Cantillon a month ago.

The beer pours a rich, clear ruby red with a ton of carbonation present in a bubbly white head that slowly recedes into a thin film and then into nothing at all, like a red wine. Not much lacing is left on the glass as the beer disappears into my mouth. There's nothing about this beer that doesn't say kriek, and my non-beer geek future father-in-law who likes amber ales and red wines found the look interesting.

Smells of dry, tart cherries and a faint background of earthy funkiness, reminding me once again of the smell of the brewery on Rue de Gheude. A bit of oak barrel in there somewhere along with some acidic sourness. Smells tart, refreshing and delicious.

I really enjoy the flavour profile of this beer. A delicious cherry tartness and even fruitiness (perhaps not sweetness) is complemented well with the oak barrel background and the musty Cantillon funk.. which altogether brings a nice puckering acidic sourness. It's a pleasantly sour beer, not super mouthpuckering but the cherry tartness goes along very well with the vinegar-like sourness. It's not as fruity/sweet as the 3F Oude Kriek, but it is a bit more sour.

In the mouth it feels a thinner medium bodied beer that is well carbonated and fizzly on the tongue. Drinks incredibly well, and does not finish dry by any means- really more of a slightly resinous, funky moist feel on the backend.

Great Kriek! Drinks incredibly well and is a very enjoyable brew. All I can say is that I love the flavour profile, aroma and the sourness of Cantillon beers. It reminds me of my recent vacation in Belgium where I visited the brewery twice, and that smell just brings it home for me.. putting a big grin on my face. Love it.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Shop: Shop of Burg Bier Brouwerij in Ermelo
Glass: Jopen Stemglass
Name on Label: Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Bio
Image on Label: Painting of cherry tree in full blossom in a meadow and white houses in the background
ABV: 5%
Ingredients according to label: water, wheat, malted barley, hops, morello cherries
Expiry date: DEC2015
LOT: bottled 17AUG10

It says on the bottle that this kriek is best within one year after bottling.Apparantly, I am more than a year late.

Pours with lots of carbonation and a one finger fine bubbled foam that reduces to a thin layer immediately. Body is beautiful clear red almost without any visible carbonation after the beer has settled.

smells of the morello cherries it was brewed with, some candy and tartness.

Does have the refreshingly sour taste of a lambic. There is also some sweetness and only a little bit of funk. Cherries are a little in the background and there are also raspberries.

Though there is only little carbonation it does not feel stale or watery, however I would like it to be more spritzy. There is some oily feel on the tongue.

I am still a newbie to the lambic world and this sometimes overpowering sourness is still a turn off for me, but this is not true for this one. In my opinion the sourness is very enjoyable. I love cherries and consequently the smell of this beer but the cherry flavor could be stronger in the taste. I studied the Cantillon webpage and found out that if the beer is older the lambic taste starts dominating the cherry taste. Next time I will try a younger one.

All in all a very nice representative of the style.

Ok, as promised I am back with a younger one. It is just over a year old. There is more carbonation and more fruity taste, though rather raspberry than cherry. However, they are right that it is somewhat better when young.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon