Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

#338

Ratings: 2,481 |  Reviews: 731
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

(Added review) Ah, the politics of fruit and beer. I believe the 2004 is vastly different from prior bottlings, and my visit to the brewery in August suggests a new type of cherry may be the culprit (confirmation from the importer pending). Either way, the 2002 and 2003 are delightfully tart and overwhelmingly puckering; the 2004 is richly flavored with cherry. Either way, it's a winner. A little bump.

(Original review) Bottled in 2002. Huge sour aroma hits from the instant the cork is popped. My mouth was salivating left and right at the expectation of the much-desired tartness.

Poured blood red -- garnet, ruby, et cetera. The medium-sized head sputters out like cola fizz. Only very slightly cloudy since, at the recommendation of the back label, I tried to avoid decanting too much of the yeast.

Poignantly sour aroma. Very acidic in the nose. A light but very discernable cherry aroma is buried underneath powerfully crafted sourness. Similarly, the cherry is fairly light and fleeting despite the bright, vibrant color. Light, and crisp, this is a true delight and very easy on the tongue despite the initial feeling that it's somehow biting or caustic. Indeed, it's quite the opposite -- pure fucking joy.

Tart, acidic, and sour from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. You get used to it after a while, and the cherry becomes slightly more prominent, and it's certainly just a tiny bit bigger on the tip of the tongue.

An amazing, amazing beer. Anyone looking for a true-to-form, delight-to-drink lambic ought to try this at his or her earliest convenience.

4.94/5  rDev +13.3%

"Piles of raw, sour cherries,cherry pit splinters,smoked ham and latex define the immense aromatics of this beer
Smoky and dense on the nose, it is vengefully acidic on the palate, revealing layers of copper, lemon juice, sweet herbs and photographic developer. This may be the sourest beer I've ever had in my life. The sweetness is in the form of texture, which is fleshy and round. But a little actual sweetness wouldn't hurt at all. Definitely must go with food: pickled herring, boiled smelt etc."

I wish I could remember what vintage that "4.25" beer was. This 2004 is solidly in the 4.5 to 5 zone. It reeks of pulpy cherries and Chateauneuf du Pape. Savory, meaty middle flavors are help up by powerful cherry, raspberry, vanilla and spice flavors. The texture is imposing. The acidity is lime-like. Aromatics of tobacco, tea, kirsch and almond/tangerine paste rise up through the finish.

Initially I ordered a conservative two cases. Now I've requested four more.

3.82/5  rDev -12.4%

I am splitting a bottle of this with a buddy of mine. Not sure what to expect but excited to try somethig new. I am drinking it at room temp and letting the bottle breath for a little before pouring. The cork says corked in 2/2002
I am using a snifter to consume.
The beer pours a strawberry red with a tight pink head that fades quickly to and edge layer and then to nothing. Aroma is apparent at the pourt with very tart cherry sour and a little bit of general funkiness eminating from the bottle and my glass. I also get a bit of biscuity yeast mixed in. First sip reveals a thinner than expectd body and very mild carbonation. THe flavor is very tart and gives me a puckering effect on my mouth every sip. The sour cherries are prevelant and the beer finishes very dry like a rich red wine. QUite an interesting beer. I enjoy the sourness and tart flavors, but it makes it tougher to finish the bottle. Next time will have more than one person over to finish.

Obtained via trade with the ever so gracious ngandhi. I must say that I love Cantillon and believe that they are the best brewery in the world. So with much anticipation, I dive in. Cork came out without much pomp and circumstance. And it poured a beautiful ruby red with a pink 1 finger head. Smell has that wonderful Cantillon acidity, but the cherry aroma is much more assertive than the rasberries were in Rose de Gambrinus. A slight funkiness is present as well, but in no means dominant. Why don't they make incense with this aroma. Taste, oh my, where do I begin? A very sharp tartness introduces this beer to my palate. The intial lambic sourness fades ever so gently into a full flavored cherry with subtle hints of wood. A slightly funky flavor glides into the aftertaste. This is one remarkable brew. Even though the acidity in this beer is very high. I could drink this all day if presented with the oppourtunity. Ever since I became a BA, I never thought that I would give a beer a perfect rating, but this truly deserves it. Remarkable, remarkable beer. Thanks again Ngandhi.
*cork dated 2003

3.56/5  rDev -18.3%

This one pours a reddest of red colors with a pink head that takes its time leaving. Brilliant color. The aroma is very sour with a certain funk about it. I'm told that is characteristic of the Cantillon, so I'll just accept it. Super sweet and tart cherries. The flavor is much the same. Very tart. Very cherry. Finish is a bit dry ... and sour. This really isn't one of my favorite styles, but this is a well made version.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

pinky crimsony coloration...light, negligible head...
nose is funkalicious, big fruitalacious, but not moreso than this overpowering funkadelicaliciousness...cherry-sweet, berry-licious...
Taste? ...ooo, wee! yeah, the cherry's there...but the funk is in control here, this is a distinctive taste, not for everyone... hey, maybe not even for me, at least not every day...whoa, again, I say...big, fresh, cherry taste, but yeasty ...meaty...huge mouthfeel, never ever feels like getting off the couch...pretty damned delicious, but , oh, so unique....I put these words to electronic pen and paper, while 1/2 a bottle remains...fierce flavor, full, lush, impressive.

4.58/5  rDev +5%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

4.42/5  rDev +1.4%

Another fabled Cantillon offering. The wheel goes around... Goldorak goes to Belgium and brings this wonderful bottle back. The fact that he shared it with me shows how much he cares for beerdom.

Stunning deep red highlited by accents of amber, slightly cloudy beer with no head to mention. Pretty much what I expected to see and experience visually.

As you approach your nose to the glass the champagnelike astringency begins to manifest itself. Quickly it invades the olfactory senses with an assault of acidity that ploughs through anything that might have been loitering there aimlessly and leaves the path clear for a harmonious complex of candied oranges, sweet oak, freshly blossomed apple flowers and pear skins with too much flesh on them. Endless complexity that could have been discovered ad nauseam but this needed a taste.

First sip is DRY, astringent but not at all watery. Rather, a firm mouthfeel greets the powerful acidity which completely coats the mouth and, once again, allows no detection of flavours up front. Once this wave subsides notes of caramel, apples, and wood mingle with a crunchy bitterness. The long and multi dimentional aftertaste lingers while I discover what complexity this beer posesses. Fruity, salty, sweet, leathery and oakey notes jostle for room on my tastebuds as as the sour cherries conduct the symphony. I treat myself to another sip.

Some reviewers say they could drink this all day long and my utmost respect is given to them. The power of this beer makes it difficult for me to want to down a large bottle of it which is why drinkability took such a hit. It is, however, a mesmerizing example of the highest art of brewing lambic.

4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle at Spuyten Duyvil. Muddy earthy ruby. Gentle off-white head, rapidly diminishing. Clean sour cherries aroma, very leafy, woody with huge lactic notes, yogurty and even soured milk alike. Totally pungent aroma with a nice restrained barn touch. Very puckering, heavily sour, straightforward. This is everything I’m looking for in a traditional kriek. I would prefer it with standout characteristics though, more funk and mystery, unexplored territories etc. Now it’s extremely clean, direct, balanced, dry and astringent which means it’s an awesome beer and possibly one of cantillon’s best, better than the lou pepe to me anyway. Great texture, thin-medium body with very little carbonation feels perfectly right to carry the acidity. Terrific kriek.

4.01/5  rDev -8%

Raw sour power. Beautiful wine colour. Leaving it open as recommended for 30 minutes is a good idea, but how patient can you be? Musty barnyard and cherry aroma. A bit of carbonation. There's orange,cheese aftertaste. Astringent bone dry. Be forewarned about the tartness.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

Nutmeg and wood spice on the nose, developing to a wonderful cherry backdrop supported by mild lactose, assertive but not overstated acid, and lush oak vanillins and cocoa. Lingering, developing spice on a long, dry finish.

Relax, relax.
ng
---
Bone dry with a sourness that's initially menacing and ultimately elegant. The tart cherries are evident on the nose with a strong, musky earthiness. The palette is much of the same with marked "wild" and "infectious" qualities familiar to veiny cheese. The spontaneous fermentation lends a deep grain and spice that compliments the sour cherry. Cantillon Kriek is absolutely pure and absolutely lambic -- not exactly a crowd pleaser, but everything it ought to be. It helps you understand where the new world intepretations come from (New Glarus), how good they indeed are, and how miserably short they fall.

Original rating: 4.05

Relax, relax.
ng

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

2002 vintage. 750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium plum color with two fingers of light pink head. There is no lacing left on the glass. The smell is sour and tart with lots of cherries coming through (of course). Just a slight funkiness, classic Cantillon. The taste is tart and fruity, sweet and sour. A nice blend of all the flavors coming together. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and smooth, even for the decent carbonation. The drinkability is pretty good as well. A wonderful Kriek.

EDIT: I recently got to try a bottle of this that was bottled in 1996, and OMFG, it was unbelieveable. It had soooo much of that funky aroma and flavor that I love so much. It makes me want to buy another of the recent bottles and lay it down for years and years. A really big thanks to Big Body Bill for sharing this one!

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

2003 on the cork. Pours a pinkish red wine color with a pink bubbly head. Cherries and a barnyard tartness evident in the aroma. Some sweaty, leathery notes, too. The taste is totally acrid and pungent with sour cherry. Really hits the sourness portion of the taste buds. There seems to be a real woodiness in the malt aspect, cherries aside. Astrigency left for a long time on the palate. Certainly gets more inviting as it warms and breathes for a bit as it suggests on the label. Great beer, but it's acidity cuts down on it's drinkability. Great beer from an outstanding brewery.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

2002 edition.
Pours a hazy dark red, topped with a two finger pink-tan head, dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.
Sweaty, oily aroma, nuts, cherry, grape skin, lemon, "barnyard" notes.
Very dry and tart taste, lemon juice, cherrry, tannic, vinegar, musty.
Light bodied, very tart, dry. It goes good with salad.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

A: Cloudy, light burgandy in color. No head or lacing.

S: Sour lambic smell tends to overwhelm everything else. Cherry smell is there, but pretty understated.

T: A big sour punch in the mouth at first. There's a nice cherry flavor which isn't too overpoweringly sweet. After the initial pucker wears off, this beer has a lot of nice flavors.

M: Very dry on the palate. Still can't believe this is called a "beer". CO2 and ETOH levels are quite nice.

D&N: More of what I was expecting from a lambic. Nicely sour without being too over the top. Nicely done.

4.37/5  rDev +0.2%

Hazy dark rose appearance, feathery head that maintains a skim. No real lacing, just a collar. Great pungent aroma, slight fruit but tons of goat cheese (and even a little goat in its yeasty funkiness). Mouthfeel is soft as rain, monstously contradicted by flavor. Outstanding flavor, no trace of cherry soda but rather, a vinegary and mutating currant, allspice, and even choke cherry that peels the tongue and establishes that "throw down" Lambic astringency that Cantillon so often brings to the table. Its dryness asserts at the same time as your mouth puckers like a blow fish and the aftertaste is like a challenge to give it another whack. A Kriek done right and just a first rate entry from a master of the style.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: Cloudy cherry coughdrop colored. Off-Pink head with nice retention.

Aroma: Smell dominated by extremely soured cherries, that have been grazed by oak.

Taste: Pungently sour. Exactly what is to be expected from a Cantillion lambic. Tiny bit of sweetness shows up for the finale on your tongue. Bitterness lingers for a while after the finish.

Notes: Refreshing, thirst quenching beer. First taste is a shock to your palate, but the sourness grows on me.

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

this beer is sour, no souououoouououuoouour! Ordered for a late afternoon meditative sesssion, nad this one does the job. the color is a wonderful burgandy, ruby red. the smell reminds one of earthy fields in the late fall(or early spring). Very little head or lacing which may be standard for this beer, I do not know. The taste is one of country lanes, essences of pastoral lanes and cherrys grwoing wild in foreign lands. Musty almost hay aroma, tast and aftertaste. A beer for the discerning, sophisticated and/or beer afficaiando of thsi style. A challenging but enjoyable experience. A thesis type beer.

3.91/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours to a reddish-purple color with a somewhat pink head. The aroma is very different; I don’t get the cherries I was expecting. It is kinda flat smelling with a sort of walnut shell, chemical smell. The flavor is tart and souring, fruity from the souring cherries throughout. It also has a medicinal hay-like flavor as well. It is a medium bodied, tart brew. Not too bad, but one sour bitch.

Sampled 12/31/03

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%

It pours a light red with a fanitly pink head that disspiates fairly quick. The aroma is musty with some horse blanket/barnyard and a light fruitiness. The body is light with some honey and cherry notes and some horse sweat and a vinousness. Of course it has a mouth puckering sourness. A great all around lambic that is very complex and satisfying from my favorite lambic brewer.

2K2

Cloudy reddish brown - This is no Lindemans. Pink head with what could be little bits of cherries in it. I'm drooling in anticipation.

Smells like the real thing. Sour as hell with big cherry pie aromas. Almost sour enough to bring tears to my eye.

Good Lord is this sour! Nice cherry undertones. Almost sweet. I can't find any hops, just sour that seems to bounce back and forth between my cheeks. There is a certain grassiness in the finish. I think that's why Lambic lovers enjoy it so much - the liveliness and the subtleties.

It feels like champagne darting around my mouth. Goes down smooth. One of the very few beers I have been able to hold in my mouth to examine all its subtle qualities.

While I love lambics, I don't think I could drink a whole lot of this. Unfortunately, my LBS only had 750s and I don't think I'll be left wanting more tonight.

This is my third Cantillon and I am not let down at all. My only complaint is the $13 price tag. I think I may try this as the acid in a salad dressing this summer.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

I picked up a 750ml bottle at a local store that didn't look like it would have gems like this on the rack in the cooler. Cost: $9.29. The dark green bottle had the neck and top wrapped in black foil, was capped, and corked. No bottled on or freshness dates in view on the label. However, the cork read "bottled in 1997".
Poured into my favorite tasting glass after sitting for at least half an hour, this beer had a clear candy apple red with a light wispy white head that dissolved down to a small ring. Slight aggitation brought out fine carbonation. A visually inviting start.
The nose was pungent, nose-wrinkling, and amazing. Almost surreally tart, sour and exuding a slight barnyard funkiness, the aromas of cherries and hints of earthy malt and vinegar made my mouth water and dry up at the same time.
*first sip* Mouth puckering, eyes watering, cheeks imploding....
*2nd taste* Light feel, big-time dry. Getting used to the extreme tartness bordering on sour. Mein Gott, unlike any beer I've tried yet. Deeply acidic, with a hearty blast of cherries and a tongue-buckling dryness. Some light yeastiness. I'm well into my glass now, at least 6-7 full tastes. My tongue is a desert and I have a building warmth in my belly. The crisp, implacable cherry-infused sourness dominates the flavor. I think I'll need an IV if I want to finish the bottle tonight. Has an incredibly long dry finish that tauts that barnyard funk and vinegar bite.
So this is what a truly authentic kriek lambic is all about. Wow! I've got to try other Cantillon offerings. This was a real treat. After missing yesterday's SoCal BA event at the Belgian fest at Lucky Baldwin's, I can find solace in this wondrous beer.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a goblet. The color is well, cherry red, with some wisps of white head. The smell is cherry tartness. The taste is the nice sourness, which the tart cherry only adds to, and finishes off with the nice, earthy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated. As for drinkability, I could have these until my mouth puckered up.

So far, my favorite of the Cantillon line. The cherry mixes very nicely with the lambic tartness to make a well-married beer. Simply fantastic, certainly as a treat, and absolutely one I'd have again.

4.19/5  rDev -3.9%

Cork pulled out with ease on this bottle, weird...pours out to a thinnly hazed light red color looking much like cherry 7-up but darker in tone by a good margin. Puffy and loose pink bubbley thin head.

Wowza, the aroma begins to waft about the room, quickly erasing anything that may have been in the air. Replacing the air with a big funkadelic barnyard mustyness and canned tuna pungent sweetness. Once brought to the nose, and the funk has been engaged, rotton moldy grasses, old rotting wood, sourness, and very slight cherry hints make their way through the fog. Again, Cantillon has made the smell something uniquely interesting, abrasive and in-your-face, rude, but with a hinderance of class, respect, and above all, power. This stuff reeks, and boy do I like it. The effect the smells of these Cantillon lambics have on me is hard to explain. I'm disgusted by its presense, but yet somehow charmed into continuely sniffing it. What's wrong with me?

Taste is hardly a word to be used here, and I can't think of a word thats more stronger then taste so I'll just say this is more of an experience. So...just as powerful as the smell would lead you to believe, the sourness is all over the place, quick and lively, lasting and stark. Strongly sour and tart the whole way through, the musky stuff isn't so much on the palate as it just lurks within letting other puckering acerbic things surge in. Souring crab apple, super strange aspects of flowers, grass, and dirt. There are smaller nuances of the cherry pulling in every direction but not directly on the palate, always popping in with some added ummff of tartness over the acidicness. Pulpy thick and souring acidic mouthfeel, heavily fizzed and textured in a pure cheek puckering tartness. Another Wowza is needed here, Uff-da! Wow! A whole nother level of sipping is employed with this stuff. As much as the label declares "100% Lambic" - they ain't kidding! I was hoping for more cherryness to be dominate but this is all about the love for the wicked.

4.1/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Purple pink tone with an off pink tinted thin foaming head showing traces of carbonation lacing coats the sides fairly well. Aroma: Tart cherries funky barn house style here, woody with a musty sourness chilling about. Taste: Very yogurt like in nature similar yeast tone sour flow of spoiled tart cherry flavor, very acidic and lip puckering but this one isn't as shocking Rose de Gambrinus (Framboise). Mouthfeel: Medium to light in body not very carbonated at all, sticks and coats the palate rather well. Drinkability: Grows on you with each sip as the palate adjusts to the pure sourness, overall an artform that should be experienced by all serious beer drinkers newcomers beware.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon