Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Reviews: 713 | Ratings: 2,376
3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours a thin red color with minor light red head and little red lace patches. A very tart smell of light fruits, mostly cherry (that's all I really smelled) and some oakiness. The cherry/fruit is there in bunches, but this medium-bodied brew is extremely tart, a little too tart. It goes down smooth but the tartness rubbed my tastebuds a little raw as it finishes very dry w/ tart and woody flavors. This is a beer designed to be sipped on as it complements a hearty meal; I did not have the pleasure to drink it over dinner so maybe my review is a little off.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle into flute.

Pours clear dark ruby red with almost no head, just a ring of pink bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Nose is cherries and vinegar, bit of earthy barnyard funk.

Taste is sharp and sour from the very beginning, dry vinegar and sharp cherry sourness, with a bit of barnyard funk and horse blanket emerging on the clean, dry, acidic finish.

Mouthfeel is light, with very sharp, dry, fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability is kind of insane for a sour this intense - it calls to you.

If you'll excuse me, I'll be looking for the enamel on my teeth.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz. poured into tulip

Appearance: Opaque fuchsia with a light pink head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Very tart cherry smells mixed with ammonia and some funkiness, bordering vinegary. There's also some earthy spiciness going on.

Taste: The cherry isn't quite as prominent in the taste as it is the smell but damn is this one sour brew. Lemon and some apple make an appearance as far as other fruits go. The vinegar is there in the sour, but not in a bad way. There's something in the after taste that almost comes off as egg-like....also not a bad thing but I could see it throwing someone off. Otherwise it's hard to detect subtle flavors because of just how sour this beer is, maybe if it was aged longer.

Mouthfeel: Light body and absolutely mouth puckering.

Drinkability: Personally, I could have another but I would assume most would be too overtaken by the onslaught of sourness in this beer.

Overall: I wanted sour and that's what I got. I've just recently started getting into sours and this is one to pick up for sure. It's good and I think I would like it even more if my palate was a little more used to sours.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Vintage 2008. Bottled January 21 2008. Best before end of 2015. 750 corked and capped bottle. Serving date: 2009-03-06. Served in wine glass.

A: A very beautiful brew. Somewhat deep ruby color with plenty of red and pink hues. Small pink head, leaves some lacings around the edge of the glass. Rather hazy initially. Towards the end, when more of the yeast goes into the glass, it becomes very murky (and looks like a strawberry milkshake).

S: Nice acidic smell, rather prominent vinegar, plenty of rich fruit aromas - cherries, some apples, cherry pits. Some straw, that develops into wet straw towards the end. A subtle funkiness every now and them.

T: Very powerful acidic taste. The beer is just unbelievably sour. Some vinegar. After the massive sourness, the fruits kick in - cherries, cherry pits, apples, dry orange, lemon juice. Earth, some straw and again subtle funkiness (going towards stable). Beneath this explosion of flavors one can also note the malts and the wheat, but they are really restrained. The finish is rather dry, has some nuts and pits. Plenty of sour notes linger on in the mouth.

M: Medium body. Gentle carbonation. Rather dry and sharp, not harsh though.

D: This is fantastic. Full of character, very bold and very demanding. Fresh, yet rich and rustic. A masterpiece of brewing.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

On the pour, this one had no head atop a hazy, pinkish-amber body. I was pleased at the color, a little surprised at the lack of any noticeable head but not too much.

Aroma was solid cherries, but underneath was the definite tart-sour lambic character. You could tell this was a wild one easily, even if you knew almost nothing about lambics.

Taste was very tart and sour, with less cherry flavor than I expected. It made me pucker up. I liked it quite a bit.

Mouthfeel... well, puckering and sour. Great body, not too heavy and not too thin.

Drinkability is quite good. Again, if not for the price, I'd have another in a heartbeat.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful cloudy rasberry red with a small bubbly that dissapears quickly. Smells of lemony tartness, tad of funkiness, soft cherry aromas in the background. Tastes of extremely tart cherries and lemons up front lasting throughout. Some barnyard funkiness right before the sourness hits. Absolutely no bitterness at all, finishes very smooth leaving some acid at the back of the throat. Lots of carbonation for the style.

A fantastic lambic, extremely sour but very smooth surprisingly. Didn't really detect any strong tannins or astrigent character like many lambics. Loved how subdued the cherry was, just enough fruitiness to match the sour. Fantastic.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. cork and cap bottle. Bottled on Feb. 26, 2008.

Rocky, tall, loud, cumulus dirty pink head. Impressive. Glowing, partially hazy, light cranberry red body. Intense brett tartness and funk on the nose. Acidic, with hints of lemon juice, tart cherries, and musty basement. Vaguely sweet cherry and cherry skin tannins up front, quickly pushed aside by a violently crescendo-ing burst of acidic tartness. Pucker up! Lemon juice base with hints of tart cherries. Undercurrent of sweaty sock wildness and old hay. Very dry, especially in the finish. Moderate-light body with a vibrant, lively mouthfeel. Refreshing and would be great as an apertif. For as sour as this is, it is quite drinkable.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A- pours a really nice cloudy purpilish red with barely any head or lacing
S- tart tart cherry, vinegar, smoke, oak, a little apple, very very strong
T- very tart and tangy with a slight finish of cherry, finishes very dry and the taste is far less abrasive than the smell
M- very carbonated, the tang really comes through , but smooth enough to enjoy
D- def a hard session beer, couldnt imagine drinking more than 2 of these in one sitting, a def sipper for sure... its taken me over half an hour to drink. Its also not a cheap beer, but I know that alot goes into making this beer.

a phenominal example of a true lambic. Not a gateway beer by any means. People who drink this after only being familiar with "lindemens framboise or kasteel rouge might have a hard time getting this one down , but I loved it. I would love to try it on draft. If you can afford it I would buy a case and let some age for awhile to see how it comes out

note:
poured into my new belgium globe, couldn't find any expiration date on the bottle. The bottle looked like it had been through hell, but it def worked for me

sent to me by onenote81 , thanks for the trade!

might be a little hard to find, so def check it out if you can

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into my duvel.

A: Very cloudy and a very reddish-orange color brew. No head save for a few bubbles clumped here and there. No lacing.

S: Smells like sour cherries, so no big surprise here. I also get a slight musty oak aroma - very pleasing in the background.

T: Very sour and very good. Cherries, apples, and a good sweetness meets a pleasant earthiness that then yields to that sour bite.

M: Perfect carbonation - not watery, not syrupy, not sticky.

D: A great beer, though I certainly could not see myself having more than one of these back to back.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%

I don't know if I'll ever get out. I shall most likely meet my end here. I can still recall the view as I gazed down, before the plunge... looking into the dark, I could make out a rusty stream flowing through the limestone and clay. A couple of bubbles floated along every so often, and there was some dense loam-looking dust being carried along, a greyish sediment.
I turned and took a glance at the forest before attempting my grueling descent. But then I slipped, a rock loose, a rush of flailing, thrashing against jagged edges, and skidding to a halt in the morass.
And then it began; at first the slight tinkle of grains of sand, then pebbles, then I had to scrabble across the stream to avoid being crushed by the avalanche.

And then... Silence.

Strange how other senses seem heightened when one is taken away. Suddenly immense aromas flood my mind. I feel along until I come to a wall of rock. I learned of this before, "Brettanomyces." That's it. Immense sour notes, even reminiscent of green-oak. It melds with the dank mustiness all around me, the mould, memories of Grandpa's cellar, the spelunking I used to enjoy. It will be the death of me. My leather shoes are soaked now in the mire, and it lends another aroma, one that can only be described as limestone and a dank creek bed.
I suppose I am to die of hunger, for it is certainly less torturous than dying of thirst. I bend down to the creek that I remember seeing and taste. Everything that I just experienced is there, and more. There must be a cherry orchard somewhere far upstream. The intense sourness is recognizable now, as fermented cherry skins. Occasionally there is a hint of sweetness there, but it is certainly overwhelmed by the sour. An oak log must be there as well, the other distinct note is an oak-sour. All of this blends with the flavors of the mould and limestone-clay of this cave...
The sourness had added a strange element to the feel of the water as well, as it is quite puckering and dry, more so even than fine sherry. There is no carbonation.

Now that I have tasted this... I'm not certain I will try to dig my way out. I may just lie here and waste away next to this stream... the nectar of which is taking me closer and closer to paradise.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Had a bottle at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. Poured a beautiful almost clear red with a short pink head. The aroma had a subtle musk with a tart cherry note that also permeated the flavor. This beer tastes like a mellow-flavored, though no less tangy, lambic with a drop of tart cherry juice in every sip. The farmhouse elements are more subdued than usual and frankly I dont think this beer is as rich and tasty as a straight up oude geuze. But I will say, this is a gorgeous looking beer.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Drinking this on tap at Firkin. It pours a deep ruby red with a strawberry pink head. The head starts thick but ends up a thin sheet all the way across.

The aroma is of acidic tart cherries. There is also a slight barnyard funk that rounds it out.

The flavor is very tart and puckering. The cherries come through with the tartness. The cherries taste like they were just picked with no sweetening...very nice.

This a really enjoyable sour kriek.

2.62/5  rDev -38.4%

Shared this with Jwolfie70. That is a day that will be long remembered.

Pours a vibrant, reddish pink. Looks really awesome! Ruby, thin pink crust. I like the appearance of it.

From the moment we cracked the bottle, the smell permeated the entire room. Frankly, it was a bit frightening. A nearby lightbulb blew out, paint began to peel from the walls, and I heard the faint keening of lost souls escaping into the night sky. Oh boy ... just how sour was this going to be?

Egads! You ever seen Temple of Doom? Remember that wicked skull cup Indy was forced to drink from? The one that subjected the imbiber to the "Black Sleep of Kali?" Well, I'm pretty sure this beer was in that cup.

Just absolutely insane sour, unripe, tart, cherry, vinegar, and oaky base. Holy shit. This is barbaric. I have an iron stomach. I'm pretty sure that I have half-digested license plates in there from when I swam up the Gulfstream. But this was unreal. I've occasionally described lambics/gueuzes as "ass-puckering." This motherf****r will turn your digestive tract inside out.

Not particularly carbonated. Could have used more, but a decent mouthfeel nontheless. It's possible that the insane sourness annhilated a lot of the bubbles.

Everyone should try!

Serving size: bottle.

Poured a medium to dark hazy red with almost no head. Dominant sour cherry and musty aromas. Fruity and a little yeasty-doughiness. Very sour and tart tasting. Cherries. Definitely high in the pucker factor.

Notes from and tasted on: 9/17/04

Looking at these dates, I'm going to have to pop another one of these!

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

poured from a corked bottle into a oregon pinot noir glass. cork said 2007 drank january 2009.

pink/red beer very carbonated with little head. had yeast sediment which was large and clumpy.

smell was all acid. maybe a touch of wheat, but no cherry smell.

tart refreshing very dry. cherry flavor is all dark fruit cherry with no residual sweetness which is subdued. fruit seems to fill hole from lack of body left by dryness without being the star fo the show. wow this is good.

just a touch of acetic acid cuts through the lactic acid goodness. tartness adds up as i continue to sip. food is needed to cut this buildup but it plays well with food.

3.69/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Pours a cloudy ruby red. A small white, nearly red cap of foam forms. Light lace.
S: A funky, musky, doughy malt aroma that is fruity. Mostly cherries. A sweet tartness from the fruit used. Lots of barnyard goodness.
T: Wow, this is sour. Mouthpuckering. After I get use to the sourness a light cherry fruitiness and funky barnyard hey.
M/D: A light body, but with a nice snappy crispness. The sourness really makes this hard for me to drink.

The sourness is really a shock to the senses at first. I never really get past it, but I do appreciate the craft that went in to the making this. Not an everyday beer, but very interesting to try. Nothing else I have had so far is quite like it.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a bright, jewel-toned, royal burgundy with a solid ring of lace in a Saint Louis tulip glass. A black cherry halo and syrupy film accent this beer.

Only a hint of sweet cherry is followed quickly by the typical tartness of Flanders Red.

There is some serious puckering throughout with a long, tart finish. Cherry is present, but under a veil of barn must.

This Lambic has an unexpected thin mouthfeel, especially after noticing the syrupy film, and is very dry, accompanied by soft carbonation.

Definitely an aperitif, however, one could enjoy this with a cigar and conversation.

Date consumed: 20 September 2008

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Cork says this was bottled in 07. Poured into a goblet. Dark strawberry-guava color with some haze. Very little head. Aroma is cherry pits and lemon drupelets. Flavor is searingly tart with tons of citric acid. The unripe lemon onslaught is only barely tempered by a hint of black cherry tartness. Some lactic character too. This makes Drie Fonteinen seem like Lindemanns. My salivary glands can't keep up with the puckering dryness. Relatively drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to dickinsonbeer for this...
Appears a hazy, light pink with an orange with a small, white cap that quickly fades out. Tiny spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of funky rubber, tart cherries, and vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with tart cherries, vanill, oak, sugary cream, light caramel, funky citrus.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart, and bordering a vinegar sourness.

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewed on 2/18/08. 2006 bottle. Poured a beautiful deep ruby red, very little head. Smelled sour, fruity, some barnyard funk. Taste of very sour cherries. I enjoyed it a lot but it is hard to drink!
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 5/10
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 15/20
(3.8/5)

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

This is an exceptional brew to have with a meal.

A=could be mistaken for a wine. Could be the pour I had but there was no head whatsoever.

S=lots of cherry, almost no alcohol scent.

T= fantastic. Sour cherry, almost like a candy with no trace of alcohol.

M=probably the weak point, moderately carbonated and thin but appropriate fir this style.

D=absolutely would have again, though perhaps couldn't session because of the strong taste.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured deep opaque red. Smelled distinctly of cherries. Initial taste is so sour it causes the lips to pucker. Strong notes of cherries and not much else. A really solid sour, if sours are your thing, definitely not a beer for those who aren't into the style.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle...

Pours a hazy red with almost no carbonation...

Smell is oak, sour fruits - sour cherries, unripe raspberries, horse blanket, a nice musty basement like smell.

The flavor of this beer is nice...its not as intense as some of cantillons other beers. Flavors of sour cherries, raspberries from the bush that have been picked to early, musty basement...wonderful and moderately tart, not over the top.

Nice mouth feel, really not a lot of carbonation, very nice drink ability.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Hazy red with no head and no activity.

S- Tart cherry nose some farmhouse funk.

T- Super tart flavor, a touch of cherry but mostly sour the sour just makes my mouth water.

M- No activity at all, thickness I think is ok still no 100% sure on this style.

D- A slow sipper very harsh to start.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle, dated Sept. 2007, opened and allowed to breathe in the fridge for 20 odd minutes, as instructed by the label.

Served at 50º into a Cantillon glass. Initial finger of pink foam rises, with CO2 clinging to the sides of the glass. Second pour gives an ethereal fizzle and vaporizes on the surface of the red liquid.

Very traditional farmhouse nose, wet hay, old wet wood, musty horse blankets. A lightly acidic, citric lemon tartness cuts through the other aromas.

Tart cherry flavor is almost puckering, but not quite. Seems a little mellow in comparison to some other Cantillon releases. Definitely gets the salivary glands working, it would be a perfect apertif. Certainly quaffable, i'm having a hard time taking sips instead of gulps here. The tart fruit has a brightness to it, that fades into a lightly dry oak aftertaste. Light carbonation, a little vinous or cider-like in body. Overall a standard Kriek to judge others by. The Lou Pepe variety has a little more complexity and depth, but this is a fine Lambic...

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon