Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Reviews: 706 | Ratings: 2,325
4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

A- pours a really nice cloudy purpilish red with barely any head or lacing
S- tart tart cherry, vinegar, smoke, oak, a little apple, very very strong
T- very tart and tangy with a slight finish of cherry, finishes very dry and the taste is far less abrasive than the smell
M- very carbonated, the tang really comes through , but smooth enough to enjoy
D- def a hard session beer, couldnt imagine drinking more than 2 of these in one sitting, a def sipper for sure... its taken me over half an hour to drink. Its also not a cheap beer, but I know that alot goes into making this beer.

a phenominal example of a true lambic. Not a gateway beer by any means. People who drink this after only being familiar with "lindemens framboise or kasteel rouge might have a hard time getting this one down , but I loved it. I would love to try it on draft. If you can afford it I would buy a case and let some age for awhile to see how it comes out

note:
poured into my new belgium globe, couldn't find any expiration date on the bottle. The bottle looked like it had been through hell, but it def worked for me

sent to me by onenote81 , thanks for the trade!

might be a little hard to find, so def check it out if you can

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into my duvel.

A: Very cloudy and a very reddish-orange color brew. No head save for a few bubbles clumped here and there. No lacing.

S: Smells like sour cherries, so no big surprise here. I also get a slight musty oak aroma - very pleasing in the background.

T: Very sour and very good. Cherries, apples, and a good sweetness meets a pleasant earthiness that then yields to that sour bite.

M: Perfect carbonation - not watery, not syrupy, not sticky.

D: A great beer, though I certainly could not see myself having more than one of these back to back.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%

I don't know if I'll ever get out. I shall most likely meet my end here. I can still recall the view as I gazed down, before the plunge... looking into the dark, I could make out a rusty stream flowing through the limestone and clay. A couple of bubbles floated along every so often, and there was some dense loam-looking dust being carried along, a greyish sediment.
I turned and took a glance at the forest before attempting my grueling descent. But then I slipped, a rock loose, a rush of flailing, thrashing against jagged edges, and skidding to a halt in the morass.
And then it began; at first the slight tinkle of grains of sand, then pebbles, then I had to scrabble across the stream to avoid being crushed by the avalanche.

And then... Silence.

Strange how other senses seem heightened when one is taken away. Suddenly immense aromas flood my mind. I feel along until I come to a wall of rock. I learned of this before, "Brettanomyces." That's it. Immense sour notes, even reminiscent of green-oak. It melds with the dank mustiness all around me, the mould, memories of Grandpa's cellar, the spelunking I used to enjoy. It will be the death of me. My leather shoes are soaked now in the mire, and it lends another aroma, one that can only be described as limestone and a dank creek bed.
I suppose I am to die of hunger, for it is certainly less torturous than dying of thirst. I bend down to the creek that I remember seeing and taste. Everything that I just experienced is there, and more. There must be a cherry orchard somewhere far upstream. The intense sourness is recognizable now, as fermented cherry skins. Occasionally there is a hint of sweetness there, but it is certainly overwhelmed by the sour. An oak log must be there as well, the other distinct note is an oak-sour. All of this blends with the flavors of the mould and limestone-clay of this cave...
The sourness had added a strange element to the feel of the water as well, as it is quite puckering and dry, more so even than fine sherry. There is no carbonation.

Now that I have tasted this... I'm not certain I will try to dig my way out. I may just lie here and waste away next to this stream... the nectar of which is taking me closer and closer to paradise.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Had a bottle at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. Poured a beautiful almost clear red with a short pink head. The aroma had a subtle musk with a tart cherry note that also permeated the flavor. This beer tastes like a mellow-flavored, though no less tangy, lambic with a drop of tart cherry juice in every sip. The farmhouse elements are more subdued than usual and frankly I dont think this beer is as rich and tasty as a straight up oude geuze. But I will say, this is a gorgeous looking beer.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

Drinking this on tap at Firkin. It pours a deep ruby red with a strawberry pink head. The head starts thick but ends up a thin sheet all the way across.

The aroma is of acidic tart cherries. There is also a slight barnyard funk that rounds it out.

The flavor is very tart and puckering. The cherries come through with the tartness. The cherries taste like they were just picked with no sweetening...very nice.

This a really enjoyable sour kriek.

2.62/5  rDev -38.4%

Shared this with Jwolfie70. That is a day that will be long remembered.

Pours a vibrant, reddish pink. Looks really awesome! Ruby, thin pink crust. I like the appearance of it.

From the moment we cracked the bottle, the smell permeated the entire room. Frankly, it was a bit frightening. A nearby lightbulb blew out, paint began to peel from the walls, and I heard the faint keening of lost souls escaping into the night sky. Oh boy ... just how sour was this going to be?

Egads! You ever seen Temple of Doom? Remember that wicked skull cup Indy was forced to drink from? The one that subjected the imbiber to the "Black Sleep of Kali?" Well, I'm pretty sure this beer was in that cup.

Just absolutely insane sour, unripe, tart, cherry, vinegar, and oaky base. Holy shit. This is barbaric. I have an iron stomach. I'm pretty sure that I have half-digested license plates in there from when I swam up the Gulfstream. But this was unreal. I've occasionally described lambics/gueuzes as "ass-puckering." This motherf****r will turn your digestive tract inside out.

Not particularly carbonated. Could have used more, but a decent mouthfeel nontheless. It's possible that the insane sourness annhilated a lot of the bubbles.

Everyone should try!

Serving size: bottle.

Poured a medium to dark hazy red with almost no head. Dominant sour cherry and musty aromas. Fruity and a little yeasty-doughiness. Very sour and tart tasting. Cherries. Definitely high in the pucker factor.

Notes from and tasted on: 9/17/04

Looking at these dates, I'm going to have to pop another one of these!

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

poured from a corked bottle into a oregon pinot noir glass. cork said 2007 drank january 2009.

pink/red beer very carbonated with little head. had yeast sediment which was large and clumpy.

smell was all acid. maybe a touch of wheat, but no cherry smell.

tart refreshing very dry. cherry flavor is all dark fruit cherry with no residual sweetness which is subdued. fruit seems to fill hole from lack of body left by dryness without being the star fo the show. wow this is good.

just a touch of acetic acid cuts through the lactic acid goodness. tartness adds up as i continue to sip. food is needed to cut this buildup but it plays well with food.

3.69/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Pours a cloudy ruby red. A small white, nearly red cap of foam forms. Light lace.
S: A funky, musky, doughy malt aroma that is fruity. Mostly cherries. A sweet tartness from the fruit used. Lots of barnyard goodness.
T: Wow, this is sour. Mouthpuckering. After I get use to the sourness a light cherry fruitiness and funky barnyard hey.
M/D: A light body, but with a nice snappy crispness. The sourness really makes this hard for me to drink.

The sourness is really a shock to the senses at first. I never really get past it, but I do appreciate the craft that went in to the making this. Not an everyday beer, but very interesting to try. Nothing else I have had so far is quite like it.

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a bright, jewel-toned, royal burgundy with a solid ring of lace in a Saint Louis tulip glass. A black cherry halo and syrupy film accent this beer.

Only a hint of sweet cherry is followed quickly by the typical tartness of Flanders Red.

There is some serious puckering throughout with a long, tart finish. Cherry is present, but under a veil of barn must.

This Lambic has an unexpected thin mouthfeel, especially after noticing the syrupy film, and is very dry, accompanied by soft carbonation.

Definitely an aperitif, however, one could enjoy this with a cigar and conversation.

Date consumed: 20 September 2008

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Cork says this was bottled in 07. Poured into a goblet. Dark strawberry-guava color with some haze. Very little head. Aroma is cherry pits and lemon drupelets. Flavor is searingly tart with tons of citric acid. The unripe lemon onslaught is only barely tempered by a hint of black cherry tartness. Some lactic character too. This makes Drie Fonteinen seem like Lindemanns. My salivary glands can't keep up with the puckering dryness. Relatively drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to dickinsonbeer for this...
Appears a hazy, light pink with an orange with a small, white cap that quickly fades out. Tiny spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of funky rubber, tart cherries, and vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with tart cherries, vanill, oak, sugary cream, light caramel, funky citrus.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart, and bordering a vinegar sourness.

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewed on 2/18/08. 2006 bottle. Poured a beautiful deep ruby red, very little head. Smelled sour, fruity, some barnyard funk. Taste of very sour cherries. I enjoyed it a lot but it is hard to drink!
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 5/10
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 15/20
(3.8/5)

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%

This is an exceptional brew to have with a meal.

A=could be mistaken for a wine. Could be the pour I had but there was no head whatsoever.

S=lots of cherry, almost no alcohol scent.

T= fantastic. Sour cherry, almost like a candy with no trace of alcohol.

M=probably the weak point, moderately carbonated and thin but appropriate fir this style.

D=absolutely would have again, though perhaps couldn't session because of the strong taste.

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured deep opaque red. Smelled distinctly of cherries. Initial taste is so sour it causes the lips to pucker. Strong notes of cherries and not much else. A really solid sour, if sours are your thing, definitely not a beer for those who aren't into the style.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle...

Pours a hazy red with almost no carbonation...

Smell is oak, sour fruits - sour cherries, unripe raspberries, horse blanket, a nice musty basement like smell.

The flavor of this beer is nice...its not as intense as some of cantillons other beers. Flavors of sour cherries, raspberries from the bush that have been picked to early, musty basement...wonderful and moderately tart, not over the top.

Nice mouth feel, really not a lot of carbonation, very nice drink ability.

3.55/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Hazy red with no head and no activity.

S- Tart cherry nose some farmhouse funk.

T- Super tart flavor, a touch of cherry but mostly sour the sour just makes my mouth water.

M- No activity at all, thickness I think is ok still no 100% sure on this style.

D- A slow sipper very harsh to start.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. bottle, dated Sept. 2007, opened and allowed to breathe in the fridge for 20 odd minutes, as instructed by the label.

Served at 50º into a Cantillon glass. Initial finger of pink foam rises, with CO2 clinging to the sides of the glass. Second pour gives an ethereal fizzle and vaporizes on the surface of the red liquid.

Very traditional farmhouse nose, wet hay, old wet wood, musty horse blankets. A lightly acidic, citric lemon tartness cuts through the other aromas.

Tart cherry flavor is almost puckering, but not quite. Seems a little mellow in comparison to some other Cantillon releases. Definitely gets the salivary glands working, it would be a perfect apertif. Certainly quaffable, i'm having a hard time taking sips instead of gulps here. The tart fruit has a brightness to it, that fades into a lightly dry oak aftertaste. Light carbonation, a little vinous or cider-like in body. Overall a standard Kriek to judge others by. The Lou Pepe variety has a little more complexity and depth, but this is a fine Lambic...

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%

A little beer had soaked through the cork and was sitting between the cork and cap. 750ml bottle, '05 vintage. Served from the cellar @ 50°. Aroma is horsey, fruity, citrusy, acidic, and reminiscent of a dank cellar. Reddish color with copper hues and a smallish white head that stays just a short amount of time. The initial taste is horsey and acidic with light tart cherries and lemon zest followed by a rush of barnyard (wet wool horse blanket & leather saddle), lesser floral notes, a touch of red wine, and background notes of tart cherries. The acid is bracing, but not over the top.

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle in a DFH snifter.

A - A reddish color with a slight haze and little to no head.

S - Cherries, raspberries, spice.

T - Very sour and tart with a fairly dry finish. As with the smell, cherries and raspberries dominate.

M - Low carbonation and fairly thin. The tartness really makes the mouth contract.

D - Very pleasant and entertaining. This beer really lets you know you're alive. Very nice but I think I like the Rosé De Gambrinus better.

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

2007 Bottle bought at Sams in Chicago. I learned something from this beer, that only about 1/10 people are able to drink this type of beer, and drinking a 750 yourself is not easy. Pours a clear cherry red color with no head. The aroma is pure sourness. The taste was very acidic, almost a burning mouthfeel. After a while the cherries come through quite nice, some dryness in the finish. A very sour beer.

3.65/5  rDev -14.1%

Only the occassional dabbler into lambics, I found myself in the spirit of experimentation, so I grabbed the Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic and kicked its tires.

Popped the 750 ml wrapped, capped and corked bottle and poured a few fingers into my Duvel tulip. A tight patch of bubbles hugged the glass and a thin layer of head appeared.

The nose was slighty musty with cherries and cream prevelent.

Very sour, puckering taste. Musty and bitter from fermented cherries. Yowza.

The mouthfeel was equally sour and bitter in the finish. The sides of my tongue were attacked with very sweet tartiness, like the candy. Once again, yowza.

Clearly an acquired taste. Not a personal favorite style. Not a brew to introduce the consumer to the style either. See Monk's Flemish Sour Red ale (I know, not a lambic, but sour nonetheless). I may revisit this once my pallette comes to appreciate the style more.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

750ml

Pours a cloudy raspberry red. Very small millimeter of white head, but no head retention of any sort.

Dominating acidic sour nose with a solid cherry notes. Funked out barnyard, and the mildest hints of wheat.

Sour acid bites the tongue. Super tart Cherry notes accompanied by more funk. Pediococcus gone ‏wild, and no diacetyl:) Finish is dry and tart. Light body with virtually no carbonation.

This beer is the shizit. The complexity of the critters are world class, and of the quality I have found from VERY few breweries. God bless Cantillon.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

So we pour this one out and it's reddish tan with very little carbonation. What white suds are there initially, quickly dissapear.
So we read the instructions about leaving it set at room temperature for 1/2 hour and we do.
Smell is alum and lemon zest along with a dark cherry aroma.
Taste is sour apples and a grape juice mixed with some Sourtart candy. It is much better after it sets out for a while. Recommended!
Mouthfeel is just a tad watery dirty but finishes very clean.
High drinkability for sure! Good stuff. Cantillon can do nothing wrong.

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Not as good as the gueuze, but still quite a nice beer. Beautiful appearance. A little more tart than I would have preferred, but not bad.

This beer poured ruby red and opaque, with head of tiny white bubbles contrasting the red body...gorgeous. Aroma was gueuze-like with some barnyard funk. Flavor was just slightly sweet, very tart, but not as fruity as I expected. Mouthfeel was clean but not crisp...lingers in the mouth and throat.

Pretty good, but not as good as the Cantillon Gueuze. I had this at the Cantillon brewery in Anderlecht, in the Brussels suburbs.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon