Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Ratings: 2,417 |  Reviews: 722

poured into Cantillon Sniffing glass
appearance: ruby red, pink head that lingered for a few min before disappearing
smell: strong cherry presence overlying the background of musty funk
taste: sour cherries and lactic tartness with a fair and pleasantly balanced funk presence, lacking any offputting barnyard character. Very dry and crisp
Mouth: coats the mouth when swirled, the flavor is very full and lingers
An incredible sour ale!

Before I say anything, let me say that this was my first Cantillon and that I am blown away. This is the highest review I've ever given, and it deserves all the praise people bestow on it. Sheer Excellence.

Appearance: ON TAP!!!! This is served in a burgundy glass. The color is a rich and opaque red with some purple shades. Like a strong ruby. There is only the faintest lace on the edges of the surface, near the glass. It doesn't seem to exhibit legs like a wine might.

Smell: Wow. I spent close to 2 minutes just smelling this. The burgundy glass was the perfect ware to coax the nose into a succint little effluent. Packs a bit of a punch, too. Cherries. So fresh and yet, slighted by the lambic into having an alluring funky note. There's an obvious sourness to them as well. This is not your girlfriend's lambic. This is the real thing, and it's awesome.

Taste: This is everything I could ever need. I can safely proclaim this as the earth's most perfect disgestif. This has such a real flavor of cherries, it's unbelieveable. The sweetness is captured to make this sultry, but the sourness is there too. The lambic blends a note of the fecund earth of the Belgian countryside, the slightly rotten smell of damp vegetation, the barnyard manure (the good part of it, not the poopy part- people living near farms can relate, right? There's a niceness in barnyards, but city folk don't understand) Well, it's all here. It's the undeniable influence of the wild Brett yeast, floating around out there. Thank God it landed in some open barrels of wort and helped create this superior beer. I love this.

Mouthfeel: It's nice when cold and nice when warm. It is in a constant state of flux, it changes in the air and runs a gammut from pretty to ugly. The carbonation is active and helps this to sink a full stomach into complete content. It's perfect.

Drinkability: It's perfect. It's the perfect beer. I can't say I have the pleasure of drinking lots and lots of this, but it's not to say I couldn't. It's a lot like a Flanders Red in its sourness, but maybe that's just what a true lambic wants. I love this beer. I'm blubbering like a schoolgirl. It's that good. I need to purchase multiple bottles and cross my fingers that they're as good as this is fresh off the tap.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon