Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

#326

Ratings: 2,436 |  Reviews: 727
3.34/5  rDev -23.4%

I have to admit that I have only been drinking so sour beer for about a year. Although I have not rated every beer I have consumed, I have had over 15 different sour beers and this was no where near the top.

It poured okay. It was a typical, flat, headless pour. It looked like a cloudy 50/50 tomato/water mix.

The first scent was a bit chemically but the chemical smell faded as the buzz intensified. Not sure if it really left or if I lost the ability to smell.

The taste was okay. It did have a nice strong sour taste with a tangy, sweet aftertaste.

It had a typical mouthfeel. Good but nothing special.

I probably won't buy this beer again but would drink it if given to me.

3.38/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. The cork (which pops out quite easily) indicates it was bottled in 2004.

Even with a careful pour, it's a rather hazy amberish red. No head at all save a very thing ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. No lacing. Kinda reminds me of a murky sangria.

Quite a nose on this. Musty and dusty, cherry pie and a sharp woodiness. It begs to be pondered and studied for a bit.

I'm glad I took my Pepcid beforehand, because damn if this ain't some sour stuff. Some extremely tart cherry reveals itself behind a wave of general vinegar sourness. A little woody, a little earthy, a little funky, a little vinous. Lots going on here, but the intense acidity turns it into a bit of a chore after a while. Could definitely use a touch of sweetness.

Carbonation is quite minimal, yet the feel is pretty good, a bit slippery with a tiny hint of vanilla sweetness that keeps the tannic qualities in the finish from becoming absolutely puckering.

Overall impression: Very complex and interesting, but half a bottle was plenty for me.

3.4/5  rDev -22%

Musty, wet blanket, funky, woodsy, slight sour cherry, and raw beef? in the nose... complex and interesting. Very assertively sour up front (for me) pick out some spicy astringency, apple peals, and sour cherries in the flavor. Dry mouthfeel with lingering sourness, low carbonation, and acidity. Interesting beer, but lambics are still new to me so I need some warming up to them.

3.42/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a pink colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between the raspberry and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours, the raspberry are buried under the acidic tones. I believe that some other lambic -fruit a better balanced then this one and offer a better refreshing taste.

3.43/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours an awesome murky reddish with orange hints. No lacing or head.

Smells like brett. Musty, almost dusty smelling. Barnyardy and strawlike. Nose intimates at the sour onslaught that is Kriek 100% Lambic, with faint cherries. I really don't get that much cherry, the aroma is definitely funk dominated. Eventually, as the beer warms and breathes, the cherries become more prevalent.

Massive mouth-filling, lip-tingling sourness. Sour beer. Very sour beer. Like lemon juice. Mild vinegar. Cherries are there, but not too strong, be also become more prevalent as time passes. Brett barnyard throughout, with a funky/oaky finish and aftertaste. Really strong sourness with no other flavor/sensation really matching it.

Fairly light feeling with good carbonation. The finish is really try with some acid still residing in the mouth and lips. I like the occasional sour-bomb, but the intensity really limits the drinkability.

3.43/5  rDev -21.3%

Reviewed on 2/18/08. 2006 bottle. Poured a beautiful deep ruby red, very little head. Smelled sour, fruity, some barnyard funk. Taste of very sour cherries. I enjoyed it a lot but it is hard to drink!
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 5/10
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 15/20
(3.8/5)

3.44/5  rDev -21.1%

a- This beer is amazing looking. The dark pink body with light pink head is really apetizing looking.

s- This beer smells like straight vinegar. I cant get anything much else from it.

t-tons of sour vinegar flavor. Almost like unripe cherries, there is some fruits specifically cherries that comes through.

m- light carbonation yet thick for a lambic. I am not a fan of thick lambics because they remind me of syrup

d- This one scares me to drink alot because i am afraid I could get gut rot or something

3.45/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a finger of foamy pink head that steadily reduced . Colour is a deep, barely transparent red.

Smell - 3.5
The first smell is a musty cork aroma (please don't be tainted!) that may actually be the oak barrels that the beer is brewed in. Some fresh cherry (particularly skin), slightly herbal.

Taste - 3.5
Wow, this tastes like sour warheads! I was told of the mouth-puckering sourness before, but this has just blown me away. Wow! There is a distinct damp woody flavour, muted cherry flavour, a little vinegar and the sweetness overpowered by the sourness. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Puckering sourness dicatates here, a low level of fine carbonation. Moderately weighted, leaves the mouth feeling a little sticky.

Drinkability - 2.5
Low. True to the style, somewhat refreshing, but I think most would struggle with this, as I did.

OVERALL - 3.65
Perhaps this is a good example of a traditionally brewed lambic, but it is just too much for me. Very expensive also, but it was worth the try. Shoot me for saying it, but I think I prefer Belle Vue Kriek!

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

A: pink/reddish beer, head that dissipates very quickly
S: brett funk, oak, musty, dampness,
T: corky, oaky, lactic sourness, lemon peel bitterness, tannic, berry fruit, vinegar sour
M: dry finish, but vinegar lingers a bit long

expected a simple and fruity, light kriek, but it has complex flavor.
it is nice, but muddled by various flavors that are going on

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon