Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

#326

Ratings: 2,440 |  Reviews: 727
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

This is my first "true" lambic. I have had others but apparently they add sugars. Pours a reddish light brown color with a tiny head that just seems to stay the same throughout. The smell is must, dust and something very sour. The taste is so complex. The sour hits you right away, fades in the middles, and then kicks your ass even harder in the end. Very effervesent with tons of tiny little bubbles.

There is something very mysterious about this beer. The taste, the bottle, the look and the smell. I am strangly drawn to it.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

"2007" bottle that was aged for three years in my cellar at 65-70 degrees before opening.

A: Not as pale as I had anticipated. Nice faded red / pink grapefruit color. Some white head, and surprisingly little sediment. Moderately hazy but still translucent.

S: Sour, acidic, tart, and intense scents. Cherry and cranberry are the two that jump out (and yes, I know it's only cherry in the ingredients).

T: Tart, sour, slightly cherry and a nicely sweet aftertaste. Did I mention that it's tart and sour? It's somewhere in the range of sour patch kid, warhead or sweet tart.

M: Thin, bordering on gritty. Kind of like a sour liqueur that's really sour, mixed with sour mix. Moderate carbonation. Medium body.

O: Challenging, but so rewarding (sort of?). Glad I got to try this and overall most people who sampled it at our tasting enjoyed sips, but a full bottle would be out of the question.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

750ml bottle poured into a 9oz flute. Here goes my first Cantillon as well as my first authentic lambic. Bottled January 2010.

A - Pours a vibrant cherry red, quite hazy in the body. The head is fizzy off the pour, and fizzles down to a small bubbly cap, with a slight pinkish tinge to it.

S - Lots of sweet, but very tart cherry notes upfront. Lots of funky notes as well, with vinegar, hay, and lots of sour funk. Light Belgian yeastiness lingers with acidic and sharp tart notes.

T - Not quite as vicious as I had been warned. Lots of tart cherry bite, very sour, lots of funk; but the aftertaste is where the funk really shines, with really earthy, barnyard notes coming through nicely. Sharp lemony sourness and light vinegar notes linger in the finish.

M - Tart, sour, and very drying in the finish. Bubbly carbonation couples with a light body.

D - A nice but rather simple sour. While I enjoyed my introduction to Cantillon and sours in general, I don't know that I could make it through a bottle of this too often.

Bottle...

Pours a hazy red with almost no carbonation...

Smell is oak, sour fruits - sour cherries, unripe raspberries, horse blanket, a nice musty basement like smell.

The flavor of this beer is nice...its not as intense as some of cantillons other beers. Flavors of sour cherries, raspberries from the bush that have been picked to early, musty basement...wonderful and moderately tart, not over the top.

Nice mouth feel, really not a lot of carbonation, very nice drink ability.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%

A- Hazy bright ruby, one finger pink head.

S-Lots of cherries, mild funk and a tad bit of oak.

T-Lots of cherries, maybe too much. Mild funk, tad bit of oak and rather sweet.

M-Lighter, nice carbonation, tad watery though.

O-A good Kriek, bordered the line of overly sweet and not sour enough but stayed to the right side of the divide.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottled in October of 2008 and poured in to a large pilsner glass.

Bright red in color with a pinkish white head. Not really a whole lot of lacing but there is a nice cap on top with some visible carbonation in the glass.

Smell is tart and funky. Kind of cheesy with some light, sour fruit aromas but nothing really distinct.

Amazingly sour in taste, tart and sharp like a warhead. This is the most sour tasting liquid I have ever had. There is some fruitiness in there that is definitely sour cherries.

Medium body with mild carbonation. Enamel ripping sour though.

Overall, this beer is insanity bottled but oh so good. The sourness is unrestrained but clean and still retains some fruitiness. Really refreshing beer.

4.16/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Being that I rate a good Kriek Lambic as possibly the best type of beer in the world for me, I was pointed to this by my local specialty beer store owner.

It poured a brilliant red amber colour with very little head to speak of, the bubbles quickly disappeared leaving very little trace of what should look like a beer. If someone told me it was a glass of cloudy cranberry juice, I would probably believe them. However it did spark my interest even moreso as to what the taste was going to be like. 3.5 for appearance.

The small was very interesting indeed, it had a crisp clean beer smell with a fruity undertone. It was very piquant on the nose, almost set my nose on tingle alert. 4.0 for smell.

Oh my god, talk about punch me in the mouth with flavour! It hit me from the first split second with a zesty punch. The original look of cranberry juice just came to hit me with the similar taste, but it had a strong bitter undertone that wasn't too strong, almost like a squeeze of lemon juice. The lambic bitterness came through at the right point, which assured me this was a quality lambic. 4.5 for taste

Zesty with sharp tingles. Fresh in the mouth. 4.0 for mouthfeel.

Overall, I probably could not drink another one of these in the same night. It was very strong and the Mrs said she could drink these all night. It's almost like a cocktail beer. However, if I wanted to show someone what a true lambic should taste like (compared to the bellevues or Kriek Max)

I am planning on cellaring one of these for a couple of years, see how it goes. One very intriguing beer.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Light red and clear body. It poured with an aggressive head and even after letting this breathe for around 30 minutes it still had a good puddle of white carbonation in the middle.

Smell is tart cherries and vinegar. You can smell the tart in it, no sweetness at all. It's actually a pretty simple scent, yet precise.

I love how the cherries come through without the sweetness. It's all tart and sour.

Mouthfeel has prickly carbonation and is puckering. The finish is very dry.

I liked this beer very much. I prefer higher abv beers but this packs in the flavor nonetheless. One of the better lambics I've had.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a light red color with a very small pink head that quickly disappears to just a ring of bubbles. The aroma consists of cherries and funky barnyard smell. Very sour flavor. It took five minutes for my lips to unpucker. Cherries with some vinegar and earthy flavors are detected before the tartness overwhelms the tastebuds. Light body and fizzy carbonation that seems appropriate for this beer. Seems to extreme on the sour scale but I enjoyed it and the cherry flavor. One bottle is enough for awhile. A tad expensive as well.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to James for sharing this one.

A: Hazy ruby grapefruit in color, white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Cherry, and almond, with oak notes, vanilla and spice.

T: Tart and acidic, with oak, almond and an almost cinnamon flavor. Finish is tart fruit and cherry pie.

M: Dry. Bone dry with super high carbonation. Finish is puckering.

O: Excellent. Tart and very prevalent cherry. Tasty and Crisp.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

2003 on the cork. Pours a pinkish red wine color with a pink bubbly head. Cherries and a barnyard tartness evident in the aroma. Some sweaty, leathery notes, too. The taste is totally acrid and pungent with sour cherry. Really hits the sourness portion of the taste buds. There seems to be a real woodiness in the malt aspect, cherries aside. Astrigency left for a long time on the palate. Certainly gets more inviting as it warms and breathes for a bit as it suggests on the label. Great beer, but it's acidity cuts down on it's drinkability. Great beer from an outstanding brewery.

In a snifter:

Didn't pour with very much head, but in its defense it was put in a snifter and may have been a bit too cold. Very aromatic, with strong sour notes, green apple, dark fruit (specifically raisin), a bit of farm/earthyness. Extremely, overwhelmingly sour, but delicious. Other flavors are for the most part downed out, but include green apple and melon. Mouthfeel is about where I would expect the style with a decent body and slightly high carbonation. It's a bit too sweet and too strong to be very drinkable, but is delicious nonetheless.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

375ml bottle poured into my Supra tumbler, Cantillon Kriek 100% lambic is murky brownish magenta with a loud, spritzy violet head that quickly settles and leaves no lace but maintains lazy effervescence.

Smell is tart cherries and funky, with some acetic acid creeping in as it opens. Extremely complex.

Taste is nice cherry fruit blasted by extremely tart, acidic lambic, wow. After I get used to the sourness, I can enjoy the cherry flavor, which is natural and not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is very acidic, major pucker, dry, with a light body.

Drinkability is limited by the strength of the acidity, but make no mistake, this is an excellent Oude Kriek!! I love the pucker, and the fruit is elegantly balanced.

4.17/5  rDev -4.4%

375 ml bottle. Fairly fresh. Pours a slightly hazy orange reddish amber with a small white head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is funky cherry, a bit of earthiness, a very light sulfur note, and a hint of raspberry. The initial taste has a light sweetness with some cherry. There is more cherry in the taste than the nose. There is also a funky earthiness, and lemon tartness. The finish is tart with cherry and a bit of funkiness. Medium body. Medium to low carbonation. Quite enjoyable. This is quite a bit dryer than the 3F Oude Kriek.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

500th Personal beer review on BA

Bottle Inspection: What a wonderful label. While it isn’t information rich, it’s a very nice piece of art. Cork notes 2003 vintage.

Aroma: A bit of vinegar, ass, sour cherry, old leather, barnyard, and rotting hay. Wow that’s intense. This is my first true lambic, so I’m a little unaccustomed to what I’m experiencing. Still, my “nut check” passes and I venture on. As I get used to the onslaught, I pick out cherry pit and dusty cobweb.

Appearance: Clear ruby/blood red glass shows no lace from the quickly dying head of tinged pink. A close look shows small carbonation streams but they don’t seem to even try to form a head

Flavor: Vinegar, but GOOD vinegar. Very tart. Pop Tart? No, lemon juice tart. Very tart. The cherry offers a mild background to the intense organic flavor. I get a fair dose of “baby diaper”, but, it works! By far the most unusual beer I’ve tried.

Mouthfeel: BONE dry. Not just dry, but massive pucker followed by chewing motions just trying to get some saliva working again. Again, unlike any beer I’ve ever had.

Overall Impression: Wow. Lemon juice intensity is about right, but much easier to drink. After the initial slap in the face, I got used to the FUNK it portrays and started to “get it”. First sip was shiver and retreat, but now, I want more. Big thanks to Stonecrusher for the kick in the sack. Now I know what it’s all about. Lindemans is a Lambic? HAHAHAHA

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25