Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Reviews: 706 | Ratings: 2,325
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes from t'Brugge beer bar. 375ml bottle poured vigorously into a Cantillon gueze glass. Vintage june 5th 2012.

A-Beautiful pink/red with pink/white head that lasted a while.

S-Cantillon funk, cherry, sweet off-wheaty aroma. Light faded hops.

T-Lemon, dark cherry upfront, funky, hay and cherry pie. Yeasty dough. Finish is pure cherry.

M-Heavy carb. Very sour. Off-dry with huge tart finish.

O-Gotta love a fresh fruit lambic.

Bottled 2008, purchased in PHX
Shared w ottovon

A: looks like sparkling cranberry juice

S: sweet, fruity, mouth-puckering lactic

T: tart is too mild a descriptor. fresh, light, mouthwatering cherries, with a bit of wood in the background.

M: bubble and pucker

D: yes. I would like a Kriek drinking fountain. Refreshing, delicious.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic
Lambic – 5% - 375ml Bottle - Bottling date 15 February 2015

Appearance: Red, big bright pink head that dissipates quickly. Low levels of carbonation with a few small bubbles climbing side of the teku glass.

Aroma: Funky, cherries, oak, very pleasant aroma sugar and sour fruits.

Taste: Tart on the tongue, as expected then you get the taste of the oak and then the sour cherries.

Mouthfeel: Leaves palate very moist. Low in both body and carbonation.

Overall: I'm surprising myself with just how much I am enjoying these funky sour beers these days. Being new to the style I find them difficult to describe but I thoroughly enjoyed this one and I think that many people that write off the sour beers straight away do so because they are shocked by the taste but when you know what's coming and are not surprised by it, it enables you to enjoy the experience. I will definitely be buying more of this. 8.75 / 10

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 75 cl bottle into a Cantillon chalice. Bottled May 2013.

Appearance: Poured a one-finger head. Quickly dissipates in thickness, though a thin layer of foam remains on top. Cloudy, red. Good carbonation.

Smell: Sour cherries are the predominate scent. Slight floral notes. Maybe a dash of vanilla.

Taste: Sour cherries carry over, as does the slight floral notes. No vanilla. A little grapefruit comes in towards the end. Slightly medicinal. Light, dry, crisp. Recalls the sourness of some dry white wines. Amazing when paired with food as you would pair white wine.

Mouthfeel: Light, dry, slightly carbonated, and a little foamy.

Overall: Cantillon has quickly become one of my favorite breweries. This is my second 75 cl bottle and it grows on my each time. The sourness will come as a surprise to people unfamiliar with lambics. I could sip on this all day. So I will.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

375 ml 2004 vintage poured into my Duvel tulip.
Pinkish brown pour with little to no head that leaves a very thin layer of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Top of my cok was wet under the cap, but seems to have had no ill effects on the beer.
Smell is wet horse blanket, damp cellar and a little bit of vinegar.
This is probably the most intensely sour beer I've ever had. I can feel the sourness tingle the back of my tongue and my jawbones. Cherry is almost gone. Taste is like sucking on a lemon. The bugs have done a real number on this one.
Drinkability is fairly high even though it is so intense. Very refreshing. Dry finish.

750ml bottle, January 2010 bottling

cellphone notes, served slightly cooler than room temperature

appearance: split and served in a new glarus flute - light cherry color, pinkish-white fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

smell: super tart cherry, oak, raspberry balsamic, funky yeast

taste: Cantillon kriek is certainly a game-changer within the style. I've had some really awful belgian krieks before (i'm looking at you lindemans and st louis) but this one clearly goes in the class with drie fonteinen and hanssens. This lambic is sour enough to split your tongue in half, bright cherry/raspberry flavor, light vinegar, oak, funky yeast - all sorts of good.

mouthfeel: high tartness, sour, light bodied

drinkability: good

RB

375 ml capped and corked green champagne bottle picked up at Bottleworks in September for $7... aged in my cellar until tonight. Poured into a crystal champagne flute. I corked this bottle and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Short lasting lite pink head above an absolutely beautiful pink/lite orange brew. Reminds me of a very very pink champagne without all the bubbles.

I honesty don't even know where to begin on the aroma.. I haven't had a proper world class lambic in years. Musky cherries .. a little almond? I think I finally know what "horse blanket" means ... lite leathery whiffs ... Wow.. not even close to some of the Lambic-pops I've had in the last couple of years.

Flavor ... OMG this is awesome ... Now I really know what "horse blanket" means ... Cherries are maybe a little bit in the background, but what do I know? Did this sit in the basement for too long?.. very possibly. Funkadelic with sour (but not acetic) flavors linger forever... again almonds. Huge complexity but you must obviously be fan of sour and something new. Nearly bone dry.. but the lack of sugar really makes everything run like a clock... fairly mouth-drying, but I like ... I like alot... the sourness sorta proactively sucks saliva from my body.

I would never in a million years give a sip of this brew to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into .. I wouldn't want to waste a sip .. That said, I sorta had an idea about lambics, and damn glad I took the time.... Now the damned distributers around Boise need to get these in alot more regularly.

The only reason I decided to try this beer tonight was because I was able to score a 750 bottle of the Cantillon Kriek over the weekend at Erickson's for $10... Fantastic for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Got a 2012 375ml bottle and decided to have it fresh for a change.

Pours a light ruby red color into the glass with a soft pink foamy head.

Smell on this is great. The Cantillon's I've had in the past have been aged at least 18months and I'm glad I'm having this fresh. Getting a lot more cherry than I expected mixed with a much lighter barnyard funk than I expected. A faint musky smell is always there but the fruit is front and center.

Wow, taste on this is great. It's like an awesome tart, tart, tart cherry pie. More sweetness than I expected. Sour, but not warhead sour by any means. Just can't get over how fruit forward this is.

Mouthfeel is great for the style. Closer to heavily carbed, but I like it for sours. Quick finish leaves you wanting more right away, so you are forced to pace yourself. It would be easy to go through 12oz quick.

Overall I'm really glad I finally tried a Cantillon "fresh". Much different experience than aged ones that get "sour dominant". I can't believe there was a time I didn't like sours. If you are looking to get into sours seek out a bottle of this and have it as fresh as possible.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

On the pour, this one had no head atop a hazy, pinkish-amber body. I was pleased at the color, a little surprised at the lack of any noticeable head but not too much.

Aroma was solid cherries, but underneath was the definite tart-sour lambic character. You could tell this was a wild one easily, even if you knew almost nothing about lambics.

Taste was very tart and sour, with less cherry flavor than I expected. It made me pucker up. I liked it quite a bit.

Mouthfeel... well, puckering and sour. Great body, not too heavy and not too thin.

Drinkability is quite good. Again, if not for the price, I'd have another in a heartbeat.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

2011 vintage. Pours deep cherry red with a fizzy, soapy looking pink head that soon subsides. Minimal slippery lace. Strong nose of powerfully tart cherries; lemony acidity, and a light funky straw barn component. Perhaps a hint of...leather?

Very sour cherry flavor that's bone dry; lots of lemon and acidity; again some musty hay and funk notes. Both sweetness and vinegar aspects are extremely minimal-this is all about in your face sour cherry. Subtler notes of oak, green apple, and more emerge as the beers opens a bit.

Perfect mouthfeel for the style; medium to very slightly light with spritely carbonation. Crisp and puckering. Probably the best kriek I've had although I haven't opened my Lou Pepe yet. Similar in intensity to Hanssen's kriek.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

pours a gorgeous ruby redd. nice head, but dissipates quickly

smells incredibly funky, citrusy, fruity (apples? cherries?)

average carbonation. incredible sweetness and fruitiness. lots of sour cherries (def not bing). great citrusy bite. funky. like a horse barn.

love this. one of the best krieks i've had. highly drinkable

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head that has some retention. The head is rosy, light pink while the body is a lazy crimson color which appears as a dull raspberry when held up to the light. There isn't any lacing at the moment. No real lacing is left behind at all.

Nose- Much more tart from the bottle than the glass. The bottle seems to smell more like raspberries or strawberries than the glass. Some acetic acid from the glass. The glass shows a strong and solid front of cherry with practically nothing else. A mild tartness. Some notes of cherry pie. Swirling shows a more basic cherry rather than a tart one.

Taste- Loads of cherry explode through the mouth. It ranges from tart cherry to regular cherry to cherry pie. Doesn't sound that complex but it doesn't need to be- it nails what it sets out to do. Some acetic acid on the front but this isn't very sour or tart at all. While I really like the Lambickx Kriek, this is simply better and more accessible. Mild hints of straw and funk start to creep but don't impinge upon the basic cherry character. Loads of balance and integration while having a strong but constrained presence. Slight woody bitterness on the finish. Strong linger of cherries which I greatly appreciate. Very refined and sublime. The Lambickx Kriek is a brasher beer but this is one for the ages. A great beer that rightfully defines all others in the style. Some notes of strawberry and raspberry around the edges but this really about the cherries.

Mouthfeel- Close to medium bodied with light carbonation. Airy. The way the beer is expands in your mouth is one of my favorite things about it. Effervescent despite the low carbonation. Makes your entire mouth tingle slightly.

Drinkability- If I hadn't paid 15 dollars a bottle (yes, I know, too much), this would be very sessionable. This beer begs you to drink it and I have no problem complying.

Overall- Amazing beer that defines all other krieks. I don't have to tell you need to try it because you already want it. Even if you think don't like fruit beers, you need to try this. I will buy this anytime I see this. Without fail.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Beer bottle (37,5cl), tasted in 2002.
Appearance: A red fairly clear, fine foam, not saturated.
Taste: perfectly balanced mixture of (relative) sweetness and acidity, strong lavour taste compared to other not tradotional krieks.
Drinkability: Excellent kriek lambic, no sweet, ideally flavoured.

Review added 10-27-2007, translated from french 1-31-2008.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a peach color with a small, fizzy head that dissipates…great nose of cherries…not sweet cherries but cherries none the less…very tart as it should be…like biting into a lime or lemon..definitely a sipping beer…not really my cup of tea…err..beer, but I can apprciate it for being true to form…tart cherries.. a bit acidic in the mouthI have a tough time enjoying this the way some would but I am rating it high because I is very true to form (according to what I’ve read)..If you want a true lambic you should try this…if you want a sweeter cherry flavored beer stay away…because you will pour this down the drain which would be a shame. I’m rating it high because I think it deserves to be but personally it’s not my favorite style..

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

At Cantillon Brewery from bottle.

Raspberry red, very light hazy in appearance with a sizable foam head upon pour, which dissipates quickly. Smell is of raspberry, strawberry, cherry and other red fruits with a bit of oak. Taste follows the nose, but even through it's sour and fruity, it is not overly sweet (which is what a Cantillon employee told us is one of their goals). Light carbonation and easy to drink. I would definitely get this again and enjoy on a nice summer day.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Vintage 2008. Bottled January 21 2008. Best before end of 2015. 750 corked and capped bottle. Serving date: 2009-03-06. Served in wine glass.

A: A very beautiful brew. Somewhat deep ruby color with plenty of red and pink hues. Small pink head, leaves some lacings around the edge of the glass. Rather hazy initially. Towards the end, when more of the yeast goes into the glass, it becomes very murky (and looks like a strawberry milkshake).

S: Nice acidic smell, rather prominent vinegar, plenty of rich fruit aromas - cherries, some apples, cherry pits. Some straw, that develops into wet straw towards the end. A subtle funkiness every now and them.

T: Very powerful acidic taste. The beer is just unbelievably sour. Some vinegar. After the massive sourness, the fruits kick in - cherries, cherry pits, apples, dry orange, lemon juice. Earth, some straw and again subtle funkiness (going towards stable). Beneath this explosion of flavors one can also note the malts and the wheat, but they are really restrained. The finish is rather dry, has some nuts and pits. Plenty of sour notes linger on in the mouth.

M: Medium body. Gentle carbonation. Rather dry and sharp, not harsh though.

D: This is fantastic. Full of character, very bold and very demanding. Fresh, yet rich and rustic. A masterpiece of brewing.

Bottled in 2005

Pours out a bright, vibrant rose with effervescent carbonation a thinnish pink head and pock marks of bubbles left hanging on the glass. Has a musky sour aroma that stands out above the cherries. The cherry aroma mixes in the back with a pungent astringency in the nostrils. Oddly enough, I find that the cherries come out more if you just waft in the aromas rather than stick your nose in the glass. Harsh acidity hits the sides of the tongue firstly which is then followed by huge cherry flavors with their tartness accentuated by the lambic base. Finishes dry but with a hint of sweetness as the acid dies down. The aftertaste leaves only the oak and cherries that hints at some sweetness. Mouthfeel is light, but could use a bit more carbonation for my tastes. Interesting, refreshing, and challenging.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

A: This is probably one of the coolest looking beers I have ever seen in my life. It pours a dark cherry red body with a inch thick pink head that quickly fades and leaves no lacing on the glass at all.

S: I am picking up a strong amount of sour notes, with a lot of fruituness that reminds me of a sweet wine.

T: Like the smell, I am getting a lot of sour and fruity flavors. The fruit becomes very powerful as the beer lingers.

M: The Lambic has a strong amount of carbonation on the back of the tongue and as it goes down the throat. It also has a pretty thin body.

O: This is one of the greatest lambics I have ever had in my life. It goes down with ease and is just beyond delicious. I will for sure be ordering this beer again from Etre Gourmet and age several bottles

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Bought a 12oz. bottle of this out of deference (in part) to Jason, co-creator of this site which we hold so dear. I was looking for a reasonable, but representative lambic. I followed the bottle's instructions and allowed this beer to breathe for about 30 minutes before pouring. It seemed to cut down on the strange funk emitting from the bottle (so THAT's horse blanket!). Not that I was entirely put off..
Pours nicely, without much head but boasting a bright CHERRY color, irrespective of fermentation.
The smell is strange, to be sure, but if I have any beef w/ it, it's only that it hides the wonderful qualities within:
Now to taste this 'Kriek'...
Oh god that's interesting. I'm not at all put off by the sourness of this brew, and it definitely has a 'natural' quality to the fermentation. It is as if the sourness has entirely taken the place of the sweet flavors in the cherries. Fantastic. It shows off (throws off?) oaky, funky flavors that I really like.
Others could dissect this beer's nuances better, but I'm content to wholeheartedly recommend it to any extreme beer lover. Carbonation was appropriately low. Drinkability is earth-shattering; who could expect that out of such a full-flavored beer?
I rated accordingly.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Enjoyed at Pizza Paradiso in Georgetown.

A: Clear red pour with a fizzy pink head. Much larger head than I was expecting. No lacing but decent retention. My server poured the beer, and set the bottle down before clearing the bottle, meaning my second pour was much more cloudy.

S: Very sour smell with hints of cherries. While it is very funky, the acidity takes over.

T: Following the smell the taste is much more acidic than funky and the cherries fall in the background, providing balance. Very delicious. While the acidity is the forefront, it is not overbearing. The funk and cherries balance it out very nicely and leave a tart aftertaste, which hangs on well after the beer has left the palate.

MF: Light and carbonated very well. Extremely dry finish. Very tart.

O: This is very very good. Balanced, tart, funky, easy drinking. I can understand why these are so hard to come by.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle bottled May 2013, shared with my future father-in-law today, 8/2/2013 before dinner. Poured into a wine glass at approximately cellar temperature. Have had this multiple times in the past, including at the Brasserie Cantillon a month ago.

The beer pours a rich, clear ruby red with a ton of carbonation present in a bubbly white head that slowly recedes into a thin film and then into nothing at all, like a red wine. Not much lacing is left on the glass as the beer disappears into my mouth. There's nothing about this beer that doesn't say kriek, and my non-beer geek future father-in-law who likes amber ales and red wines found the look interesting.

Smells of dry, tart cherries and a faint background of earthy funkiness, reminding me once again of the smell of the brewery on Rue de Gheude. A bit of oak barrel in there somewhere along with some acidic sourness. Smells tart, refreshing and delicious.

I really enjoy the flavour profile of this beer. A delicious cherry tartness and even fruitiness (perhaps not sweetness) is complemented well with the oak barrel background and the musty Cantillon funk.. which altogether brings a nice puckering acidic sourness. It's a pleasantly sour beer, not super mouthpuckering but the cherry tartness goes along very well with the vinegar-like sourness. It's not as fruity/sweet as the 3F Oude Kriek, but it is a bit more sour.

In the mouth it feels a thinner medium bodied beer that is well carbonated and fizzly on the tongue. Drinks incredibly well, and does not finish dry by any means- really more of a slightly resinous, funky moist feel on the backend.

Great Kriek! Drinks incredibly well and is a very enjoyable brew. All I can say is that I love the flavour profile, aroma and the sourness of Cantillon beers. It reminds me of my recent vacation in Belgium where I visited the brewery twice, and that smell just brings it home for me.. putting a big grin on my face. Love it.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

A: 1" pink head (haha) which dissipated relatively quickly over red cloudy liquid. Very inviting.

S: Yeast and sour cherries.

T: Tastes like a pie made of sour cherries. No other way to describe it.

M: Thin viscosity and a high level of very fine carbonation.

O: Beautiful beer that is delicately balanced.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a red color with pinkish head fizzy head. Cherries, oak, tartness, and funk on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with lingering cherries, lots of fruit on this one, tart and dry.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2015-05-11
750ml bottle in a basket at the Cantillon brewery. Served in wine glasses.

Pours pink with a pink head. Slight haze. Smell is fruity and sweet, but not over the top. Just smells alluring.

Taste is extremely tart, with just enough cherry. Has some of the same softness as the lambic, and a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is again perfect, like the lambic. Overall, this is very good.

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice red color (as with most krieks...). The head is quite small though, and it's dying.

The smell is very... lambic-like. Lot's of acidity-like aromas in there. Some sour cherries. Smells like you now this is gonna be something extra ordinary in the world of lambic!

The taste is extremely amazing. It's so tart, sour, acid... whatever you like. Lot's of sour cherries in there, very complex with notes of bitter cherry stones. The end is very dry. Fantastic.

The best kriek I've tried!

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon