Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 909
4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I have been scouring through my backlog, including some (mostly) bottles in my Beerfrigerator, an all-reefer with no freezer space. I had filled it at my parents' place, kind of ignored it, emptied it for the move to Chez Woody & then refilled it upon arrival. This one is going to be amazing! I pulled the cork & it is dated 1996.

From the bottle: "Brewers of Belgium's Most Authentic Lambic"; "Spontaneously Fermented Bottle Conditioned Methode Champenoise"; "Aged and Blended Lambic Beer"; "The world's classic Gueuze. A blend of one, two, and three year-old creates a second fermentation in the bottle. The champagne of Belgium."; "Store and serve at cellar temperature (50-55 F/10-13 C). Do not serve cold! Pour gently (leaving behind the yeast sediment) into a wine glass or traditional Belgian tumbler."

I had to both Pop! the cap & pull the cork until it likewise Pop!ped. Pop! Pop! I then began a very gentle pour into my awaiting glass until I saw the lees begin to move on the distended punt at which time I backed off. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, enticing a visit from The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Croesus & Midas, all wanting a taste until ... The nose hit us all. Man, when they talk about a "barnyard funkiness", this is the phrase's poster child! Cheesy, sour, sweaty, funky, wow! I remember being off-put the first time that I tried Gueuze for this very reason, but now, I have come to embrace it. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not terribly beyond it, either. That said, it was mighty carbonated, creating a pleasant effervescence in the mouth and on the tongue. The extensive aging had mellowed it from distinctly sour to a tickle in the hinges of my jaw, but the tartness was still as puckering as ever. The taste was musty and cheesy with a pronounced lemony sourness. I let it just kind of roll around in my mouth to allow the taste & smell to permeate my sinuses so as to create a pleasant memory. Finish was super dry, puckeringly tart & just what I expected from this gem. What a find in my cellar!

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

375 ml bottled 17 May 2016

Pours cloudy hazy amber gold orange with a creamy frothy white foam head. Smells like tart vinegary barnyard cobweb funk, some lemony citrus, woody cork, oak, apricot, grapes, apple skin, hay, toasty crackery malt, with dusty floral earthy herbal grass. Tastes tart and vinegary with some lemony citrus, apricot, grape, apple skin, big barnyard cobweb funk, woody cork, oak barrel, hay, toasty crackery malt, with dusty floral earthy herbal grass. Feels medium-full bodied, creamy and smooth with moderate carbonation. Overall a really great gueuze.

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pretty clear dark, syrupy golden color with a thin white head.

Dry smelling with just a hint of wood and barnyard funk.

Nice sour taste -- barnyard, hay -- with a dry finish. There's a ghost of fruit in there, but it's hard to place. Maybe apple, maybe pear.

Medium bodied, very slightly sticky with modest carbonation.

Very dry, very funky, very refreshing.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

When it rains it pours apparently. After drinking my first ever Cantillon- Rosé De Gambrinus
-at the excellent Ma Che Siete Venuti A Fà , Trastevere, Rome, I promptly ordered Cantillon Gueuze.
It poured a mostly clear golden color with only a tiny bit of haze. A moderate foamy head that dissipates into a well retained creamy pillow of film and scattered lacing.
In the aroma the sourness and the funk, as expected, is there. However, it has a moderate and restrained quality that is a harbinger of what is to come in the taste. The aroma is comprised of lemon, grapes, white wine or apple cider vinegar, wild yeast, hay, wood and wheat. I dare say I even detected a hint of a nutty, maybe almonds, quality; all of it "not in your face", rather, understated and smoothly blended.
Onto the taste...I must say how blown away by the smoothness and harmonious balance of such complex flavors. Yes it is sour for sure, however, it is done in such an elegant and masterfully crafted way that makes it accessible and versatile for its other flavors present. There is the taste of sour fruits which occasionally bring out sweet flavors. There is the acidity of lemons, apple cider vinegar, wood, rustic and earthy yeast, bold but never ruthless. There is a malt backbone that reminds you it's beer, even a hint of hops bitterness towards the end.
Medium bodied, dry finish and supremely drinkable. To date the most finely crafted, sublime and delicious Gueuze I've ever had. Given its scarcity and price in the U.S, I hope to drink it again in this lifetime.

4.71/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally got a bottle of this at the Tap at Ponce. Thanks @ThirstyGiant! Poured into an oversized Burgundy wine glass.

Look: Deep gold, hints of old copper. Lots of carbonation but not a big head.

Smell: Yellow gatorade. Funky apple tarts. Green apple peel. some old yellow flower petals. some vinous qualities on the nose.

Taste: Bracing lemon, apple cider vinegar, tart green apple picked at the perfect time. Aspiriny-grainy funky finish.

Feel: This is so tart but then the tiny scrubbing bubbles come in and make you want to take another sip.

Overall: I can't describe the nose on this beer. So incredibly complex. Glad I got to try one. Hopefully I can find another and put some age on it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tap @ Moor, Bristol - Pours golden yellow with a nice white foamy head. Medium carbonation. Nice lacing. Aroma - light acetic acid, apple, vinous. Taste - Fruit acidity, unripe fruit notes leading to tart berry feel, light pepper feel, roasted barley notes, dry finish. Thought I might struggle with this but on a very hot day extremely nice brew.

3.45/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I wanted to try this fresh and it was way too fresh. Will revisit with an older vintage.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.61/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.99/5  rDev +15.2%

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Review #850!!! Told you I was saving up something special: Doc’s first bottle of Cantillon! I’ve been waiting 6 years to get my hands on a bottle of this - the hype train has turned into a blimp, a giant golden blimp that is headed right into the sun where it might possibly crash and burn, but what a blaze of glory to go out on right? So why exactly is Cantillon so highly sought after? Some call it “the champagne of Belgium”, others like them whales because they are so damn rare - like a single case of this gets to Australia every year, or it could be that this is a blend of one, two and three year-old lambics (spontaneously fermented) beers - a perfection of Belgian brewing in a glass... I’m about to find out what it is that makes Cantillon: Cantillon.

Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Cloudy deep orange, like a dying sunset on a beach somewhere in Belgium [they have beaches there right?], body with a nice off-white splotchy head that leaves some lace on the side of the glass, top-shelf. 9/10.

S: Funky grape with a mead-like scent, yeast-driven brew, colognes struggle to smell as good as this! Hints of apple/pear esters, earthy notes, more musty character than you can poke a stick at. If you’re into your Saisons/Gueuzes/Lambics/Flanders Oud Ales then then Cantillon is music for your nose. Sets the bar high here. 10/10.

T: Brett funk, tart grapes/lemon/apple/pear leads into a honeyed mead-like centre, finishes with an acidic cider vinegar note and an oak-driven woody dryness. Quite a multifaceted flavour - hits the tongue with sour/sweet/bitter/dry all at the same time. Herbal bitterness in the background. Flavour is a bit more sour than I like, but I can totally appreciate the overall complexity of this fine Gueuze. 9/10.

M: Mid to light, bordering medium bodied, with a light/dense carbonation - all works well, more body wouldn’t go astray if I had one thing to pick about it. 8/10.

D: Well it was quite a whale, not quite my Moby Dick (that would be Heady Topper), but nonetheless a BIG tick off my bucket list here. What did I think overall? Amazing aroma, TBH it smells much better than it tastes, the sourness and acidity is borderline more than I can stomach, still this is a benchmark Gueuze that everyone should try at some point - doesn’t need to be a daily purchase, and the flavour of Saison Dupont is more up my alley anyhow. Glad I finally got my hands on a Cantillon though, good times! 9/10.

Food match: Would pair perfectly with a hard cheese platter - truffle pecorino especially. Also brasserie cuisine - Cantillon was made for this.

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Classic look: soft yellow-gold, a little cloudy, thin lace cap. The aroma & the taste are prototypical: tart lactic acid & dry farmhouse funk, very evenly balanced between the two. Lots of oak tannin, pear crist, lemon, some earthy but light yeast. Very even, not super tart in my opinion but enough to provide depth and character to the beer. A classic.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon