Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

YOUR RATING = None |
Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 619 | Ratings: 3,023

75cL bottle poured into a fluted pint glass

Bottled October 3rd 2008

It pours a golden straw color with a thin head the surprisingly stays present throughout the whole glass. Tiny tiny champagne like bubbles are constantly rising to the surface making for a highly effervescent drink.

The nose is just acidity all the way. It's like a kind of sour tart lemon smell without as much lemon aromatics. There are hints of vinegar character behind that.

The taste starts off with a mouth puckering tartness that my novice sour palette has not experienced before. Followed by some dry leathery taste and some citrus sourness. the middle is this obvious brett taste that impossible dries out my mouth mid sip. It ends with another smack of tartness and a backbone of sweetness that lingers for a while. The sour/sweet combo at the end really was a nice finish.

The carbonation is really high. I haven't tried more than a handful of real lambic style beers and this is only my third gueuze so I don't have a good sample size whether I prefer a high or low carbonation on these styles of beers. I'm leaning towards that I prefer low carbonation because I tend to keep each sip in my mouth longer in order to fully taste and appreciate the flavors. In a highly carbonated example like this the carbonation gets too distracting. Despite of that and how sour it is I still found it of above average drinkability and my mouth wasn't permanently puckered and weeping after the whole bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

MEDIUM SOUR.

Definitively a hyped up beer. With that in mind, you will have to fork out the dollars and get a bottle sooner or later.

Traditional deep yellow color. Not very carbonated, at least my bottle, it only created a very few bubbles. Smells like a normal lambic, with some hints to raspberries or cherries. Taste reveals wheat, raspberries, all sorts of citric flavors, and if it wasn't for that faint lambic taste, this could easily pass for a dry champagne. Not very funky lambic taste.

This beer is not bitter, or sour, it is more like a flavored water and it drinks very easy. You may consider having another one available.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color with visible carbonation and two finger, creamy white head.

S-The nose hits me as a I pour with sour lemon and a bit of oak, and some musty leather near the end.

T-Nice, very tart lemon to start with some oak and a bit of leather and bitterness on the finish.

M-Very light body with ample, prickly carbonation and a brisk feel.

D-Very refreshing and a very nice example of gueuze. I would love to try this again, if it only were a little bit more reasonable in terms of price.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

375 ml poured into two wine glasses. Thanks to khumbard for this bottle - I've wanted to try something, anything from Cantillon since I started getting into craft. Decollated, uncorked, ready to go.

A - not unlike a DIPA, bright orange on the pour, settles a little deeper in the glass. Perhaps slightly more head than one would expect, a little cloudy, and a nice film follows the top of the beer on the way down.

S - much subtler than I expected, sweet and sour. The vinegar dominates at first, but it fades into a candy-like sweetness. Not much fruit in detectable, but this is only my second sour (the first being Supplication; bring on the big 'uns).

T - yum, there's a big burst of sour acidity right at first, but it lingers in a delicious way. My girlfriend is puckering; I don't think it's very sour, just very mild.

M - big carbonation and a (slight) puckering character, but it's not unpleasant. I'm not a huge fan of 5% alcohol, but it's still very tasty.

O - I have yet to be totally blown away by sours, but I'm not going to let two beers characterize an entire style for me (unless it's AALs). I wish there was a little more booze in it, but it's definitely balanced.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours a clear straw color with a medium size white head. The head fades quickly but leaves some minor lacing. Carbonation can be seen throughout.

S - Earthy smell, grass, lemon, funk.

T - Very acidic, sour and wonderful. Dry finish, almost champagne like. I also detect a slight bit of apple.

M - Light and airy.

D - I could definitely drink more of these. This is one of the best guezes I have had.

Poured from 375 ml into a tulip glass

A- a hazy gold with very little head. Head disappears completely.

S- so much funk! Has a peachy, apricot smell followed by more funk. There is a sort of woody smell that adds to its funkiness.

T- follows the nose very well. Sweet peaches and apricots. Definitely some tropical fruit in there. The funkiness is a little harsh as there is a really strong undertone that sits in after the fruit dissipates. Pretty sour but not as sour as I expected. There is a pretty apparent bitterness hidden under the funky sour.

M- medium bodied and sour. Cheeks pucker but not anything too intense.

O- not the best gueuze I've had. But definitely a good one. If the bitterness wasn't there it would be way better.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottled in 2006. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Hazy yellow. White head, although not very much. Dissipates quickly. Not too much lacing.

Smell - Definitely a very sour smell. A bit of earthiness in the aroma as well. Perhaps a touch of lemon grass as well.

Taste - A very acidic sour taste. I am actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the sour taste. Very earthy at the end with a sour lemon taste on the back of the tounge.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with little carbonation at all. I also found it to be extremely dry.

Drinkability - Not the most drinkable of beers. I think it is very good, but if you are not into the sour beers, well this may not be your beer.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Drunk fresh, latest shipment. 375ml.

Pours a fantastic looking hazy light gold. White white head. Fades to film. Nice.

Aromas are tart, vinegar, funk, green apples.

Taste is refreshing big time. On the tart side of middling, without being overbearing. Green apples again, very dry. Hint of spirit vinegar, funk. Just one nudge too tart for this palate but better that than artificially sweetened for style.

Mouthfeel zesty, lightly but most definitely carbonated.

Good drinking, top class. Look forward to cellaring one next time.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Can't believe I snagged a bottle of this!

Apearance:
Super hazy amber beer with a thick white head that dissipates quickly. Kind of looks like some apple cider! Either way it looks pretty hearty, definitely not watered down at all. I can tell it's inoculated with tons of sour goodies by the haze, definitely excited.

Smell:
Near perfect aroma with a balance between some uncharacteristic funk and a delicate sweetness. This beer is a little citrusy and just as sour (aka lemony). There is also some rubber and nail polish remover aromas building into this beer's complexity.

Taste:
A good amount of sour zing, but a lot of flavor to help balance it out. The beer is inherently sweet, but has a powerful, tart aftertaste that makes you know it's the real deal. I believe there is also a touch of spice from the hops to help enhance the bitter tartness of this beer, but it's not very strong.

Mouthfeel:
Not overpowering, but nicely balanced tartness and a good amount of flavor. The beer's highlights are its incredibly dry aftertaste that make me salivate for the next sip. I suppose this is why people enjoy this style of beer, so damn irresistible.

Overall:
This was a great find and I'm glad to finally have had a Cantillon beer. It's quite delicate and super drinkable. The other beers from this brewery will be a treat indeed!

4.16/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Really nice golden/orange/yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Sporadic lace follows down the glass, while a thin fizzy white head remains the entire time.

Smell: Some musty funk, but more sour green apple and citrus.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This being my first gueuze I was expecting more sourness after drinking a La Folie recently as my introduction to sour beers, but the balance of this beer was definitely a nice surprise. The sourness is there but it doesn't leave a profound bite. There are so many flavors going on that play super well off each other that after getting through half the bottle you almost forget how sour it is and just bask in the deliciousness. Light and refreshing mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't overbearing at all.

Drinkability: Would be a perfect beer for a hot day if you're just looking to sip on something delicious or you just want something different and super complex. Really really good.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: dark brownish gold in color, cloudy, 1/4 inch head, medium carbonation

Smell: apple, lemon, and funk

Taste: apple, lemon, funk, vinegar, and small oak

Mouthfeel: sweet and sour mix, high carbonation, light body

Drinkability: Awesome gueuze. Could drink this all day. Not an intro gueuze as the sourness is prominent, but very very good.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottled in 2008. Picked up a single 37cl bottle at Abe's Cold Beer for about $8 with tax. Mmmm. Tart and tangy, yet light on the tongue like palate. This is a little spicier than other Cantillons, with an earthy cracked pepper flavor. In addition to the lemon-lime funk, there's also a hint of lighter, almost melon-like fruit in the background. Oddly, this feels a little cleaner, as in less barnyard type notes (just a hint in the nose). If you like sour beers, or lemonade, give this a try.

2009 Vintage

A - pours a golden yellow without much head

S - smells of spritzy citrus and some sweet funkiness

T - the taste is starts off very sour that makes you pucker up quickly. Once my mouth got over the initial sour bombardment, I picked up sour apple and citrus flavors from the nose, some hay and funkiness. Overall, very tart and delicious.

M - Dry tannic qualities that leave a really dry mouthfeel that was expected from the flavor profile

D - this is a very tart beer that was my first true sour. I really enjoyed this beer. Very bold flavors that eventually destroy your palette. Although I couldn't have more than a 350ml bottle, I really enjoyed it throughout.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle. Cork date of 2009 so this is a really young one. Cork opens with a nice pop. Poured into a tulip glass a clear, only ever so slight haze, apricot orange color with a 1 finger lace white head that quickly settles to form a slight collar around teh glass. The aromatics include; white fruit notes like pear, apple, and grape, definitely some barnyard funk, and hay. Carbonation dances on the tongue with a light mouthfeel. Not overly sour but its there along with a funky floral flavor all balanced with some sweetness and a slight bitter in the end. End semi-dry and clean. For the price and availability, this is just great.

2013 bottle

pours a straw yellow color, with a slight white head. Smells like lemon, hay, a slight wet funky aroma. Tastes of tart lemon, quite citric. almost a wood barrel taste to it. There was almost no carbonation in this beer. Overall a great gueuze. Glad to have tried this one.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

In the mood for something good after suffering through the day before Christmas.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my Poperings Hommel bier glass, this beer is a cloudy golden color. Not a lot of head going on, which I kind of figured would be the case since the cork didn't have much "pop" to it.

Smell: Potently sour, with hints of grape and a sort of musty, basement-y kind of quality. It's only an 08, so it hasn't really been sitting that long. The sour and tart really dominates the nose, any fruit smell I can pick up is really struggling to get through. This is going to be ass-puckering good!

Taste: A dry, intense sour apple/grape kind of flavor. The musty quality to it is still there, I'm kinda getting a cobweb quality to it which is not something I've ever had in a beer. Overall, though, it's a very intensely sour and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, crisp, clean feel, and decent carbonation.

Drinkability: A very tasty and intensely sour brew. Cantillon has yet to produce a disappointing brew, and this is another fine example of a well done beer. I wish I had more than one in my cellar...guess I need to make a beer run after the holidays.

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Lindemans lambic flute. Bottle says it was bottled on 20 November 2009.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale, golden color reminiscent of champagne. Has an aggressive, fizzy head that dissipates quickly down to a large cap and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Has a very light, sour smell with a bit of grain and citrus in it as well.

Taste: Tastes highly lemon-y up front. Becomes increasingly sour as it moves back. Finishes with a sour lemon flavor with slight hints of grain and spice. Quite nice...

Mouthfeel: Crisp, clean, and dry, like champagne.

Drinkability: Gueuze is certainly an interesting and unique style. I have a hard time with some of these unique Belgian styles comparing them to anything other than champagne. All in all, that's what really describes this beer: sour, citrusy, champagne. It's definitely good and definitely worth a shot but don't expect "beer-beer" when you drink it.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this one during Zwanze Day 2011 while at Holy Grale! Served from tap into a Cantillon taster flute. Poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, tart, fruit, wood, sour apples, and barnyard. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, tart, fruit, wood, and brett. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a solid brew. I have had this brew multiple times out of the bottle, but this was the only chance I've had to have it on tap. I have to be honest... This one actually tasted better out of the bottle to me as the funk really carried through more out of them. This was still quite good in aspects of the way. I would love to have a keg or three of this sitting around my house either way. A definite must experience serving method for this one. Now if only I can find it on cask...

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

The beer pours a fuzzy golden-orange with a modest creamy white that semi-creamy in texture, the lace a velum like covering upon the glass. Nose to quote a long time friend is that of horse hair, barnyard tones, sour and sweet, citrus like, to me lime zest, Start is jaw crushingly tart, with a light mouth feel. Finish is ferine in its acidity, tart and desert bone dry, with the after taste long lasting, a real Lambic lovers Lambic, but not for the faint of palate.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Very light amber, clear, thin white head. Aroma contains tons of wet hay, intense horseblanket, bread, cookies, fruits, sour wheat. I like the horse sweat characteristic, but this doesn’t strike me as the perfect gueuze. Palate is full of lactic acidity, but it’s nowhere close to agressive. Sweat, horsey, wheat, hay, rather complex, apricot, peaches, cider apples, pears.... Bone-dry cider finish, astringent as well. Medium bodied, fairly high carbonation which fits very well. Thanks to Radek for bringing this to the mondial saturday gathering.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle shared by Motörhed at recent tasting.

Poured a 5 oz sample into a bells tulip. About an inch of pearly white head which lasted for a few minutes with minimal lacing

Aroma was big on the sour with hints of lemon, barnyard, medicinal tartness, and general funkiness.

Flavors were brilliant bright sour lemons, and crushed sweet tarts. Had a slight fruitiness amidst the tart tones.

Mouthfeel was light but the mouth puckering sours gently burned my tongue on every sip. Brilliant

12 oz bottle

Pours out a hazy orange with a nice head that stays with you the entire time.

Smell consisted of horse blanket, farm funk, lemon sourness, a true classic nose of a gueze.

Taste was pretty good. Sourness hidden by some oranges. Feels light in a way. I was expecting it to be quite sour, but that orange flavor really hideen it well. Finshed very dry. Almost Orval-like dryness. But it was in good way.

I'm not really a gueuze man, but this is one that I wouldn't mind trying every now and then.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

I have to say, this just ain't my thing. Smelled like someone's sweaty old socks. Tasted pretty good, and got better after letting it sit a bit, but I just don't get it with this one (sorry).

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a slight head but reasonably lively carbonation. Smells funky like a ripe washed rind cheese- definitely in the smelly socks direction, but strangely, in a good way, and somewhat restrained. Acetic as well. The taste is clean, lemony, sour and a little on the thin side, but finishes with some nice clean funkiness. Smooth, a little wonky, and refreshing. Nice, classic gueuze.

Poured into a flute.

Pale straw golden color. Lots of bubbles floating around. A thin cap of white foam that leaves some lacing behind.

Smells of lemony tartness. Some barnyard funk, and horse blanket.

Tastes of lemony tartness. Some hay, and a bit of barnyard funk. Hints of spicy oak as well.

Mouthfeel is light and well carbonated. Tart, funky and tangy.

An impeccable gueuze. Simply delicious, and satisfying.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon