Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 634 | Ratings: 3,096
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pour is golden amber with white head. Nose is soft funk, earthy and a touch of mushroom. Fair bit of apricot and a hint of mineral. Taste follows the nose, earthy mushroom and lots of apricot. Minerally and strong carb with a light creamy body. Some light hops to round out through finish.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Had this one on-tap at Track 84 on 8/7/09. Served in a snifter. Poured A golder-orange with a quarter-inch, thin white head that settled into a skim. Nose reveals a bit of funk, citrus and light fruit; perhaps pineapple and apricot. Taste follows nose - sour, tart and musky. Mouthfeel fell between light- and medium-bodied, but closer to the light end of the spectrum - finished with a slightly astringent pucker. I'm still very new to this style, but what a pleasant and refreshing sipper.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours to a hazy yellow-orange color with a tight white head. The aroma is fresh, yeasty, and horse blanket-like. The taste is a bit tart and souring, with a fruity apple taste. It is also herbal in taste. It is a medium bodied, enjoyable Gueuze.

Sampled 12/31/03

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

From my tasting notes. 375 mL bottle poured into a square champagne flute. Special thanks to chowdahead for this birthday gift.

Great carbonation on the pour. Wonderful hybrid nose of tart fruits changing places with the scent of the inside of a barn the morning after it rained. Weird, I know, but that's what I'm smelling.

Taste is smooth and tart with notes of sour apple, pear, sugar, dewy grass, and a biting but still plesant aftertaste. Mouthfeel is an acquired taste that I like but can't handle a lot of. Like most lambics this is a tart and biting beer that will wreck your palate if you try to down a 750 on your own.

Only the second gueuze I've ever tried, but I'm hooked. I would like to try some more Cantillon offerings... if only they weren't so hard to find.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

This isn't something I normally order but since Jen at the Trapp Door drove all over for it I figured I would give it a try. This beer has a good amount of pressure in the bottle, right after the cap was removed the cork started coming out on it own. With a little help of a cork screw it was poured into a wine glass. It had a bubbly golden color to it, very clean and clear looking. The smell was vibrant with funk aromas that I could smell before it was even placed in front of me. The taste of the beer is nice and tart with some funky flavors going on. The mouthfeel was also pretty nice, very drinkable. Overall I found it to only be harsh on the first sip, after that it got much better and easier to drink. Good stuff for sure.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

this is a delicious and wonderful example of the style. it appears cloudy and lemon juice colored, with a small white head comprised of big round bubbles the rise pretty aggressively on the pour. acidic citrus peel and tart lactic acid are what i smell, almost stings my nose to breathe this in deeply. the flavor is also very tart, and lemon seems to be the predominant flavor, although some wild sour yeast is also doing its part to keep this tart. its wheaty, but not heavy. the mouthfeel is in fact really light, and if it wasnt so intensely acidic, it might come off as quite delicate really. the carbonation is good, but thats the biggest critique i have with this. i like my gueuze effervescently bright, and this one seems a little flat to me. not flat flat, but just less bubbly than i know the style to be. maybe my bottle wasnt the most fresh, but it lacked that sonic carbonation. overall though, this is, as the label says, the classis gueuze. famous for a reason.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a pale golden color with a nice light head leaving no lace. There are scents of crabapples, tartness and sourness, some barnyard, and bits of zest. Flavors are a concentration of acidic and acetic tones, with hints of zest and apple notes as well. There is a huge mouth puckering sourness to this brew that lets you know its Cantillon. There is also what I would say be an almost salty tone here and there but it is very faint and the sourness masks over it. The finish to this brew is effectively tart and sour with a nice backing of peppery spiciness that lingers on the tongue just letting you know that this is one truly funky ass brew. There is also slight hints of sweetness just here and there which add to the depth of this brew. This is definetly not for the faint of heart but a fully enjoyable brew that I will always look for.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

November 2009 Bottle, poured into Bruery Tulip Glass.

Appearance: Golden Blonde, medium lasting white head.

Smell: Sour, horse blanket, bell pepper, spicy.

Taste: Tart, Sour, classic lambic base.

Overall: Good sour beer, no fruit flavors or other additives.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours honey to light amber color. Puffy white head with dense bubbles and fair lacing. Aroma of lemon, straw, and lots of wet hay. Nice typical geuze smell. Taste is peppery and lemon up front, nice sharp dry and tart middle, sour, faint oak notes through the front and middle. The bretty and hay aroma present in the nose is muted slightly in the flavor profile. Super clean ending. Mouthfeel is slightly chamgane like, really drinkable and pleasant.

4.19/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

I'm sitting next to my friend, Reaper16, who is absolutely enamored with this beer. I'm angling my computer away so he can't cheatyface and read my review as I write. I'm going to sit in silence as I sit and explore this beer to avoid any sort of outside opinion mingling with my own. "I love this beer, I love this beer so much." That's right, I exact quoted you, just now.

Haha.

Review time. This pour seems a little stillborn to me. I expect some carbonation in my beer and this lacks that. I get it for the style. Also there's a very minimal head, almost no lacing around the bottle. I have a thin line of foam around the top, which is a welcome sight. Cantillon Gueuze is a nice amberish orange colour.

I can't keep myself from sticking my nose into this beer. It's a very intense sweet tartness. My friend said some people say lemon, I don't want to do that. There's some sort of fruit flavor but I can't identify. It's like mashing a bunch of shock tarts together and sniffing them like cocaine. Do they still make shock tarts? If not that analogy may be lost on you. That's what I'm getting. Some sort of artificial candy sweetness in the nose. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm American, bring on the artificial.

"Hmm, wow." My exact initial line from drinking this. I had such a small sip yet I feel like I had such a huge gulp, I can notice almost all of the components from that small sip.This is such a strong beer, the flavor will stay with you. I can very easily see this wrecking your palette for a day. Wow. Cantillon Gueuze is super freaking sour and tart! Incredible. It's so much that you have to sit and notice other complexities in the beer, you kind of need to fight through that. Fight paints a negative picture, I don't mean it that way at all. It's like fighting your way through a tough bra strap, worth the effort. There's this earthy note to it, this oak aged quality that's quite delicious. It's aged in oak barrels and that's noticeable, and that's of course good. I'm getting some white grape in this taste. I feel like I've said a lot without really saying anything, it's unique. It's delectable. I'm very much enjoying this.

This beer is very tart so you can either just drink it down like a child getting into his Halloween candy or you can sit and sip it because it's over powering. That's the two options here. I fall to the latter category. It's sort of frothy and kind of thick, which is good. If this had a thin body I would be severely disappointed with the experience. Having a strong enough body to carry this bold, tart flavor is key to making this a successful beer. Jesus.

4.19/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Pours a hazy orange with half a finger of white head. The head recedes into a thin ring leaving no lacing.

S: Surprisingly sweet up front--light fruits and bubblegum. The sweetness then fades into a barnyard aroma of sweet hay. The finish has a nice sour kick.

T: Initially sweet and creamy up front with touches of light fruits, then it becomes funky and musty. The finish is lightly bitter with a strong sourness like tart cherries and some light lemony citrus notes.

M: Very interesting but good mouthfeel. Light body, but very creamy and smooth at first followed by a crispness provided by the sour bite at the finish.

O: I've not had many gueuzes, but this is the best so far. Complex and smooth with just the right amount of sourness.

4.19/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hazy light golden color topped with a wispy head.

funky yeast hits first. Then lemon zest woody earthy smells. A interesting musty smell too (guess I finally know what all that "horse blanket" is about).

Very tart with a subtle real fruit acidic sweetness lemon, grapefruit comes rushing to the tongue. This all gives way to a nice dry finish.

Very interesting brew. Lots of flavors that play off each other excellently. Not something I would drink very much of, but great for a special occasion. (and amazing with lemon bars)

75cL bottle poured into a fluted pint glass

Bottled October 3rd 2008

It pours a golden straw color with a thin head the surprisingly stays present throughout the whole glass. Tiny tiny champagne like bubbles are constantly rising to the surface making for a highly effervescent drink.

The nose is just acidity all the way. It's like a kind of sour tart lemon smell without as much lemon aromatics. There are hints of vinegar character behind that.

The taste starts off with a mouth puckering tartness that my novice sour palette has not experienced before. Followed by some dry leathery taste and some citrus sourness. the middle is this obvious brett taste that impossible dries out my mouth mid sip. It ends with another smack of tartness and a backbone of sweetness that lingers for a while. The sour/sweet combo at the end really was a nice finish.

The carbonation is really high. I haven't tried more than a handful of real lambic style beers and this is only my third gueuze so I don't have a good sample size whether I prefer a high or low carbonation on these styles of beers. I'm leaning towards that I prefer low carbonation because I tend to keep each sip in my mouth longer in order to fully taste and appreciate the flavors. In a highly carbonated example like this the carbonation gets too distracting. Despite of that and how sour it is I still found it of above average drinkability and my mouth wasn't permanently puckered and weeping after the whole bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

MEDIUM SOUR.

Definitively a hyped up beer. With that in mind, you will have to fork out the dollars and get a bottle sooner or later.

Traditional deep yellow color. Not very carbonated, at least my bottle, it only created a very few bubbles. Smells like a normal lambic, with some hints to raspberries or cherries. Taste reveals wheat, raspberries, all sorts of citric flavors, and if it wasn't for that faint lambic taste, this could easily pass for a dry champagne. Not very funky lambic taste.

This beer is not bitter, or sour, it is more like a flavored water and it drinks very easy. You may consider having another one available.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A-Pours a brilliant orange color with visible carbonation and two finger, creamy white head.

S-The nose hits me as a I pour with sour lemon and a bit of oak, and some musty leather near the end.

T-Nice, very tart lemon to start with some oak and a bit of leather and bitterness on the finish.

M-Very light body with ample, prickly carbonation and a brisk feel.

D-Very refreshing and a very nice example of gueuze. I would love to try this again, if it only were a little bit more reasonable in terms of price.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

375 ml poured into two wine glasses. Thanks to khumbard for this bottle - I've wanted to try something, anything from Cantillon since I started getting into craft. Decollated, uncorked, ready to go.

A - not unlike a DIPA, bright orange on the pour, settles a little deeper in the glass. Perhaps slightly more head than one would expect, a little cloudy, and a nice film follows the top of the beer on the way down.

S - much subtler than I expected, sweet and sour. The vinegar dominates at first, but it fades into a candy-like sweetness. Not much fruit in detectable, but this is only my second sour (the first being Supplication; bring on the big 'uns).

T - yum, there's a big burst of sour acidity right at first, but it lingers in a delicious way. My girlfriend is puckering; I don't think it's very sour, just very mild.

M - big carbonation and a (slight) puckering character, but it's not unpleasant. I'm not a huge fan of 5% alcohol, but it's still very tasty.

O - I have yet to be totally blown away by sours, but I'm not going to let two beers characterize an entire style for me (unless it's AALs). I wish there was a little more booze in it, but it's definitely balanced.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours a clear straw color with a medium size white head. The head fades quickly but leaves some minor lacing. Carbonation can be seen throughout.

S - Earthy smell, grass, lemon, funk.

T - Very acidic, sour and wonderful. Dry finish, almost champagne like. I also detect a slight bit of apple.

M - Light and airy.

D - I could definitely drink more of these. This is one of the best guezes I have had.

Poured from 375 ml into a tulip glass

A- a hazy gold with very little head. Head disappears completely.

S- so much funk! Has a peachy, apricot smell followed by more funk. There is a sort of woody smell that adds to its funkiness.

T- follows the nose very well. Sweet peaches and apricots. Definitely some tropical fruit in there. The funkiness is a little harsh as there is a really strong undertone that sits in after the fruit dissipates. Pretty sour but not as sour as I expected. There is a pretty apparent bitterness hidden under the funky sour.

M- medium bodied and sour. Cheeks pucker but not anything too intense.

O- not the best gueuze I've had. But definitely a good one. If the bitterness wasn't there it would be way better.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottled in 2006. Poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Hazy yellow. White head, although not very much. Dissipates quickly. Not too much lacing.

Smell - Definitely a very sour smell. A bit of earthiness in the aroma as well. Perhaps a touch of lemon grass as well.

Taste - A very acidic sour taste. I am actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy the sour taste. Very earthy at the end with a sour lemon taste on the back of the tounge.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with little carbonation at all. I also found it to be extremely dry.

Drinkability - Not the most drinkable of beers. I think it is very good, but if you are not into the sour beers, well this may not be your beer.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Drunk fresh, latest shipment. 375ml.

Pours a fantastic looking hazy light gold. White white head. Fades to film. Nice.

Aromas are tart, vinegar, funk, green apples.

Taste is refreshing big time. On the tart side of middling, without being overbearing. Green apples again, very dry. Hint of spirit vinegar, funk. Just one nudge too tart for this palate but better that than artificially sweetened for style.

Mouthfeel zesty, lightly but most definitely carbonated.

Good drinking, top class. Look forward to cellaring one next time.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Can't believe I snagged a bottle of this!

Apearance:
Super hazy amber beer with a thick white head that dissipates quickly. Kind of looks like some apple cider! Either way it looks pretty hearty, definitely not watered down at all. I can tell it's inoculated with tons of sour goodies by the haze, definitely excited.

Smell:
Near perfect aroma with a balance between some uncharacteristic funk and a delicate sweetness. This beer is a little citrusy and just as sour (aka lemony). There is also some rubber and nail polish remover aromas building into this beer's complexity.

Taste:
A good amount of sour zing, but a lot of flavor to help balance it out. The beer is inherently sweet, but has a powerful, tart aftertaste that makes you know it's the real deal. I believe there is also a touch of spice from the hops to help enhance the bitter tartness of this beer, but it's not very strong.

Mouthfeel:
Not overpowering, but nicely balanced tartness and a good amount of flavor. The beer's highlights are its incredibly dry aftertaste that make me salivate for the next sip. I suppose this is why people enjoy this style of beer, so damn irresistible.

Overall:
This was a great find and I'm glad to finally have had a Cantillon beer. It's quite delicate and super drinkable. The other beers from this brewery will be a treat indeed!

4.16/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: Really nice golden/orange/yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Sporadic lace follows down the glass, while a thin fizzy white head remains the entire time.

Smell: Some musty funk, but more sour green apple and citrus.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This being my first gueuze I was expecting more sourness after drinking a La Folie recently as my introduction to sour beers, but the balance of this beer was definitely a nice surprise. The sourness is there but it doesn't leave a profound bite. There are so many flavors going on that play super well off each other that after getting through half the bottle you almost forget how sour it is and just bask in the deliciousness. Light and refreshing mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't overbearing at all.

Drinkability: Would be a perfect beer for a hot day if you're just looking to sip on something delicious or you just want something different and super complex. Really really good.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance: dark brownish gold in color, cloudy, 1/4 inch head, medium carbonation

Smell: apple, lemon, and funk

Taste: apple, lemon, funk, vinegar, and small oak

Mouthfeel: sweet and sour mix, high carbonation, light body

Drinkability: Awesome gueuze. Could drink this all day. Not an intro gueuze as the sourness is prominent, but very very good.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottled in 2008. Picked up a single 37cl bottle at Abe's Cold Beer for about $8 with tax. Mmmm. Tart and tangy, yet light on the tongue like palate. This is a little spicier than other Cantillons, with an earthy cracked pepper flavor. In addition to the lemon-lime funk, there's also a hint of lighter, almost melon-like fruit in the background. Oddly, this feels a little cleaner, as in less barnyard type notes (just a hint in the nose). If you like sour beers, or lemonade, give this a try.

2009 Vintage

A - pours a golden yellow without much head

S - smells of spritzy citrus and some sweet funkiness

T - the taste is starts off very sour that makes you pucker up quickly. Once my mouth got over the initial sour bombardment, I picked up sour apple and citrus flavors from the nose, some hay and funkiness. Overall, very tart and delicious.

M - Dry tannic qualities that leave a really dry mouthfeel that was expected from the flavor profile

D - this is a very tart beer that was my first true sour. I really enjoyed this beer. Very bold flavors that eventually destroy your palette. Although I couldn't have more than a 350ml bottle, I really enjoyed it throughout.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon