Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 900 | Ratings: 3,667
1.76/5  rDev -59.4%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

1.86/5  rDev -57%

Pour amber and flat with no head. Aroma was the semi-sweet smell of decay. The taste was sour, just sour, no bitter, no sweet, no anything else, just sour. Feel was light bodied with zero carbonation. It was hard to get it past my puckered lips. Drinkability? I simply have no idea. This was horrible. If it had been a wine, I would have said it had turned. I have tasted vinegar with better flavor. Just for the record, I will never try anything like this again. I blame ignorance in my not having an understanding of what a lambic was. 8 bucks literally down the drain.

Appearance: Peach colored; cloudy; small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Tart, sour citrus smells

Taste: Sour, tangy, lemony start; dry mid, with dry finish

Remarks: This style is m not my thing, but it's on my beer list to try

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

2.12/5  rDev -51%

I'm slowly trying to understand and appreciate sour beers, but then I come across a beer like this and it sends me back to square one. At Dyan's HOTD tasting the other night; this was the "dinner" beer. Everyone else at the table lapped it up, but as for me....

The beer pours an attractive gold color with very nice head retention and lacing. On the nose, mama mia!!! How in the hell can anyone drink something that smells like this? The aroma in this beer is about as rank as anything I've ever come across, and is just flat out disgusting. You just can't tell me this is how this beer is supposed to smell. I get mustard, vinegar, head cheese, dead possum and God alone knows what else. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, coupled with a gut wrenching and palate pulverizing blast of sour. Maybe this beer would make a nice vinegarette salad dressing, but actually drink this??? Mouthfeel is pretty light, as one would expect with the low alcohol. The beer finishes with a sulpheric bite, which only adds to the horror.

Horrible and completely undrinkable. The intensity of sour in this beer is amazing. I just don't get it. Can I go now?

2.13/5  rDev -50.8%

No head. hefeweizen-looking, only less opaque.

Smells like something fermenting in the bucket I left in my sisters garden.

Oddly bitter and sour. Tastes like I would imagine fermented grains to taste had I never tasted beer before. Kinda sweet, kinda extremely sour.

I would have rated this beer higher, but then I tried to imagine what piss might taste like, and all that would come to mind is the taste of this beer I had just consumed. Therefore, I consider my score for this beer, quite charitable.

2.16/5  rDev -50.1%

I was able to try this beer at a brilliant beer tasting at my uncle Peter's place. My nephew Michael brought this beer with him. Thanks for sharing Michael.

A - A hazy yellow beer with a thin white ring that goes for a head.

S - A cherry sour kind of smell. I wasn't expecting this from a Gueuze style.

T - Like I said; a cherry sour.

M - A medium carbonated beer and sour.

O - This is not my style, just to damn sour. I just can't understand that some people love this stuff.

2.26/5  rDev -47.8%

Pours a rich golden to orange color with no lasting head, and almost none to begin with. Smell is unappealing guaze, horseblanket. Taste is very sour and bland with no real flavor. No maltiness or sweetness, and just spoiled bacterial sourness. Saying this tastes of the multitude of fruits I've read in reviews really seems to be stretching it a bit to me...

2.28/5  rDev -47.3%

Aroma:Sour lemon and apple in the nose, with a funkiness.

Appearance:Pale golden orange, weak lacing, weak head.

Taste:On first taste, the sourness hits very hard. After that it gets easier to drink, and I start to get some faint citrus.

Mouthfeel:This one is harshly astringent on the back of my throat, which is helped by the mild carbonation.

Drinkability:This 2009 vintage is still kind of harsh, it probably needs a few more years in the bottle.

2.39/5  rDev -44.8%

On tap at the Moan & Dove.

Pours light, foggy amber with orange hilights and small white head.

Smell is sour-patch-kids with an underlying character of hay or wheat.

Taste is like a mouthfull of liquid sour patch kids & pixie sticks laced with a somewhat rank wheat or yeasty underbelly.

Mouthfeel, when I wasn't puckering my mouth in reaction to the taste, seemed ok.

Other than the flavor, which has got to be a love it or hate it thing, it was passably drinkable.

There, I drank it. I opened my mind for a pint and decided this stuff just isn't for me. I've got to drink several more lambics, so maybe I'll eventually develop a taste for this, but as of this moment I find this stuff as close to my concept of beer as a Smirnoff Twisted.

Wyll-

2.43/5  rDev -43.9%

12.7 oz green bottle, corked and capped. cork says bottled in 2010. when cap is removed, there's a nasty black slime on top of the cork. I removed the cork without getting any in the beer.
warmed up to cellar temperature as instructed on the label.

appears a clear golden color, lots of carbonation bubbles stream to surface. smell is funky and musty, maybe a bit of citrus.

taste is extremely mouth puckeringly sour and harsh. lemon rind, vinegar. hard to drink. mouthfeel isn't bad. lighter body, significant carbonation.

overall - just way too sour for me. I've enjoyed other lambic styles, but this is just too much sour.

2.48/5  rDev -42.7%

Clear pale gold with copper highlights and a thin determined head. It leaves really nice lacing. The smell was acidic when I first opened the bottle, but given a chance to breathe it takes on sweet & sour fruit notes, with apples, cherries, and fresh hay. The taste is nice malt at first but just flat-out puckeringly sour. There is a pepper to the finish, as well as apple and apricot notes but wow. This thing is puckering my mouth just sitting on the table. The mouthfeel is creamy and slick, the drinkability is just not there. I can't get past the sour, be it appropriate for the style or not. Sorry, not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I like beer, this isn't a beer I like!

I've been to the Brewery, done the tour, drank the stuff while there and I just can't bring myself to enjoy any of the products I've had. This green 75cl cork and crowned bottle is no different. I can see why this style of beer is dying a death.

I travel to Belgium about 4 times a year for little beer breaks and I've really tried to embrace the Gueuze/Lambic way, but I've failed.

Opened during a Belgian Beer Night with friends, this didn't go down at all well.

Light orange, slightly cloudy, hazy it looked like a nasty cider.

The aroma was of rotting old lemons, vinegar and sour cooking apples.

The taste is sour, sour anything and everything really. Just sour.

The closest liquid I've had that tastes and feels like this, is pickling malt vinegar.

2.66/5  rDev -38.6%

A - A deep gold with a small frothy white head. Head has good retention. Specks of lacing scattered about the glass. Slightly hazy. Edit: the slightly warmer beer had no head or lacing. Adjusted score from 3.5 to 3.0.

S - Smells intensely of tart lemon rind, concentrated vitamin C, stale air over stagnant waters, rotting wood (smells like rotting pine if you want to be specific) and, well, a bit of horse shit. Tiny bit of acetone and fresh macadem. This is funky enough to send Parliment back to the drawing boards. While . . . interesting . . . the smell is hardly enticing. It is so potent that it is actually quite offensive. Edit: As it warms the smell of shit subsides and is replaced by the much preferred smell of horses. The tartness decreases in potency while the rotting wood shifts to a roting oak which is slightly preferred. I adjusted the score from 1.0 to 2.0 to account for the new smell.

T - Puckeringly sour. Like sucking on a vitamin C pill. Aside from that there is . . . well, some lemon and musty water - like what I imagine water that was used to dust something would taste like afterwards (I know that one should dust with a dry object, but still). There is a faint bitterness in the bizzarrely tart aftertaste. Again, here this is absurdly sour, but not to the point of being gross. It also lacks the more unpleasant characteristics so prominant in the aroma Edit: The sourness wanes slightly while the mustiness increases. I don't think this affects the overall flavor much.

M - Smooth, thin, extremely refreshing - no complaints here.

D - I generally enjoy sour beers, but this over the top. It is quite possibly the most sour thing that I have ever consumed in my life. The smell is just awful, but the rest is not bad. It serves as a very refreshing sour beverage if the smell can be ignored. I want to try other gueuze to see if they are all like this. This particular gueuze went fairly well with a hickory smoked gouda.

2.67/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured from a 37.5cL bottle into a small flare glass.

A: I had considerable trouble with the cork. Poured fizzy, barely hazy, with a light copper tone. Little to no head, no lacing.

S: Sour fruit, brine, and a faint urine scent. I realise this hardly sounds appetising, but it's strangely appealing...and certainly interesting.

T: Initially I was pleased as I was met by sour fruitiness and pleasant carbonation. But then disaster struck -- the briny smell emerged in a flavour tasting *exactly* like pickle juice. Honestly, it's as if someone dumped a pickle jar full of spoiled wine into my beer. I am not pleased. After a few sips it becomes less offensive -- perhaps it didn't age long enough? The aftertaste is similarly unpleasant.

M: I gave this a four for novelty; the mouth-puckering isn't enjoyable, but neither is it entirely unpleasant. Like biting into a lemon, only less tart.

D: Perhaps lambics just aren't for me. I could barely finish half the bottle. I'll try one that's been sitting around a few years and see what I think then.

2.88/5  rDev -33.5%

I had this bottle under the alias "Cantillon Classic Gueuze"....

this brew is sour in the nose...slight bitter aroma as well...the taste was very sour....i got lemons out of it as well...

another oddball from Canitllon....maybe I should start trying these beers when I'm not wasted....I even love sour ales...and sour candy....

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the second bottle we opened.

I wrote it in my other review; i am not mad about this type of beer. I bought this bottle at The Struise brouwers when i was there last april. Just wanted to try it.

Poured in a tasting glass the beer looks like a gueuze; nothing spectaculat to see but average for a gueuze. The fluid was cloudy yellow, no foam or carbonation. Not as sour as the Girardin i tasted before this.

2.98/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottled: 20 March 2009

A: Clear golden body pours no head, thus no lacing.

S: Sour apples, vinegar. Not sure what else. Feels really off.

T: Sourness of fruits and vinegar, some yeast giving an interesting taste.

M: Light bodied and low carbonation. Leaves an off aftertaste.

D: Second time I've tried this, once fresh and this was one year aged. I still don't get the hype - maybe I will some day.

2.99/5  rDev -30.9%

Capped AND corked...I like the touch and extra protection. Let me preface this by saying that this is only 1 year old. The bottle says it can hold up for 20 years, and I really think it could benefit from some aging...

Pours a light golden color with a decent white head. Retention is alright, but nothing overly impressive. Aroma is basically softly acidic. Sourness is a bit more muted that I was expecting, but this is definitely a sour, acidic beer. Really, that is about it. It has a bit of crisp pilsner maltiness to help balance the acidity, but it just seems pretty one-dimentional. Not really any fruity or floral notes that I was expecting. I am thinking about getting another to age, or at least give this another shot and re-review.

3.15/5  rDev -27.3%

Sampled at the CT River Brewfest 2005 in Holyoke, MA.

This was a dark yellow, hazy beer with not much head. OK, I suppose... only had a few of the style before. Hard to judge.

Aroma was vinous and VERY SOUR!!! That was about all I got.

Taste was mainly sour, a little tart, not sweet at all. Not well balanced for my tastes.

Mouthfeel was a little astringent, and a bit fizzy. OK, not stellar.

Not the most drinkable gueuze I have ever had. Glad the mug only cost $2.00, rather than having to buy a bottle for $10.99.

3.24/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not sure when/where I first had this. This review is for a recent tasting on cask at Teresa's, Wayne, PA.

Much like the normal tap version, this was a slightly hazy golden-yellow liquid, served in a stem glass; a small fizzy white head quickly dissipated leaving a few stray bubbles on top. Aroma was distant, hints of barnyard funk, grass, light citrus. Lots of lemon rind in the taste, more bitter than tart, very woody, barnyard funk and horseblanket, moldy cardboard, cobwebs, and stale Champagne; sourness factor was not very high, finish was dry. Somewhat unbalanced. About medium bodied, mellow carbonation. Good for the style, I'm just not nuts about it.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%

2006 12.7 ounce vintage bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about six dollars

Split with my girlfriend while watching a movie, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Light golden orange with an even lighter color in the light, small 1/2 inch white bubbly head, small bubbles rushing to the top, no retention or lacing

S-Tarty aromas, acidic, lots of wood, straw, oatmeal, grains, sour yeast, lemons, limes, grapefruit, huge barnyard funk to it, smelled like hay at times, maybe some vinegar as well

T-Big sour flavor at the beginning all the way through, filled with vinegar, the middle had some chewiness and nutty flavors, big biscuit presence, finish was dry like a white wine, granny smith apples, watered down as it warms even more, served at room temperature intially, white grapes, grassy and bitter, all over the place but not complex in a good way necessarily

M-Sour mouthfeel, chewy at times as well, big chewy malt backbone for a lambic, lots of carbonation, taste lingered for a few minutes, thin body

D-Could not drink much more than a bottle of this even though it is only five percent, little heavy on the stomach, taste gets old, not very smooth, hard to drink at times

First Cantillon brew, not overally tarty like many people claim them to be, not as good as Giridin but not bad overall, would try another year if it came along, other than that different gueuzes are better for the price, recommended if you are a fan of blended lambics

3.31/5  rDev -23.6%

On tap Blind Tiger.

A-Pours a cloudy orange yellow. No head. Minimal lacing.

S-sour apples wet blanket sour lemons. Pretty potent but in a good way

T-sour and medicinal. This doesn't even taste like beer to me.. Mineral water sourness and some green apples completely dominate the taste. This really dries the mouth out. The tartness really does somehow draw me in.

M-relatively light with a low carbonation

D-hard for me to rate as I haven't had the style before. I will definitely try this again and possibly rerate. However drinkability is definitely low as this is too sour to have more than one of.

3.32/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first gueuze...

Capped, corked and black foiled 12.7oz poured into a stange.

Hazy apple juice with a small white head that falls to a ring of big bubbles. Lots of smaller bubbles cling inside the glass. Now that I think about it, this looks a lot like Vernor's Ginger Ale.

The nose is a nice balance of funk and citrus. Plums, something acrid (vomit?), the barn I bailed hay in when I was 16, green grapes and zest of lime. At first I didn't like it, but the more I sniff the more complex it gets.

Wow, is this tart! Like an extremely dry white wine, with some cider made from crab apples, and a touch of white vinegar. The apple notes slide in for the finish. I found the mouthfeel too watery, not something I would normally session to say the least.

A bit too much for me, but interesting enough that I will try other examples of this style.

3.36/5  rDev -22.4%

Transparent yellow/orange body with a fizzy white head. Lots of bubbles in this one, leaving a thin layer of white over the beer. Smell is well on the funky side. Taste is lemon citrus and rather dry. Good stuff, my first introduction to Cantillon and I'm definitely excited to try more!

3.37/5  rDev -22.2%

A: Pours a murky golden color with very little head and lacing.

S: Lots of Belgian funk and yeast - smells very "sour" if that's possible. Hints of oak are also detectable.

T: OMG sour! This bad boy grabs your tongue and tries to rip it right out of your mouth. Hints of oak and white grapes are also apparent, but overall the flavor is dominated by the sour. I was hoping for a little more complexity from this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation and a dry finish, like champagne.

D: Meh, I bought this to drink at midnight on new years eve and was pretty disappointed overall. I was expecting a little more from the Cantillon name, but it wasn't awful. This needs a little more balance between the sour and other flavors.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon