Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 634 | Ratings: 3,099
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled in 2011

Pours clear light amber/gold with a small white head that disappears quickly.

The aroma consists of barnyard, musty basement, oak, followed by sour apples, overripe fruit, and wet hay. Floral and slightly cheesy. Very earthy.

Tart, oaky, and slightly bitter in the flavor. Funk and some cheesiness. Follows along with the aroma. Slightly grainy.

Very carbonated mouthfeel with an acidic bite. Super dry.

I previously had an longer aged example of this beer which was much more complex. The sourness and funk really jumped out. However, even fresh, this beer is near perfect.

3.62/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy hefeweizen orange with slight sunset crimson tints, no head to speqk of and very lightly carbonated. 2010 on the cork. The nose carries overipe melon, bright acidic citrus, barnyard funk, a touch of rancio wraps up the nose. The taste nd mouthfeel is pure mputhpuckering sour with sour patch kids bringing a slight sweetness, citric acid, along with a dash of red fruit, and almost a wild, feral quality to the beer. Light in abv and carbonation, ate it with spicy food that was a poor match leading to terrible heartburn. A very good sour unfortunately my palate just does not understqnd them yet.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottled November 13 2009 and consumed today on its first birthday. Split between a couple Duvel tulips with my wife (TulipSnifter), we enjoyed this beauty at about 8 a.m. after I got off work from the night shift. It has the appearance of guava nectar in the glass with a 3 finger egg shell head from a hard pour that recedes to a minimal wispy cap. No lacing is apparent...but none is expected.

Lacto citrus in the nose there is no questioning that there is something sphincter puckering going on in my glass. A touch of wood mold and gorgonzola round out the aroma.

Sip...pucker...repeat! Wow what a tasty sour beer! I wouldn't call this as lemony as I would say its more of a grapefruit juice essence. The wood is also there in spades, as is the raw funk. Again I'm picking up on some moldy cheese almost as an aftertaste.

Thin in body and moderately carbonated, this drinks fast. An extremely high attenuation allow this to finish nice and dry. Very quickly, the glass disappears and I'm hearing cries from the other bottle I have in my possession calling to me. I'm hoping to let it fester until the 2 year mark but oh boy...its going to be tough. Definitely seek this guy out!

First Gueuze ~ Bottled Dec. 2009

Appearance- Pours a clear gold with a two finger white head, quickly dissipating. Active carbonation.

Smell- This is very aromatic. Earthy, tart, green apple.

Taste- WOW. First sip was absolutely mouth puckering, but this is incredible. Very tart, sour green apple with an earthy grassy funk in the middle. Finishes fairly dry.

Mouthfeel- light and crisp, from what I understand is the ideal for this style

Overall- For my first gueuze this went very well, maybe to well! First of all these beers are expensive and I think I am in love, second this went down incredibly quick, I need to teach myself to slow down and really enjoy this!

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Vintage: Bottled on November 13th, 2009.

Pours a crisp amber with the clarity and color of apple juice. The head is large, frothy, and very finely bubbled, leaving thick lace all around the glass.

Nose is very tart without being harsh. The oak barrels are quite easily noticed, and a great deal of pleasant barnyard funk emanates from the glass. There are some fruits in nose as well, with tart aromas of green apple and sour berries making up the sourness. Mustiness comes out near the end. One thing to note is the nose is STRONG - the moment the bottle was opened and the glass was poured, this beer could be smelled from a couple feet away without any problem. Always nice to have a beer that knocks you off your feet in any category.

Taste is quite noticeably sour, much more so than Lindemans Cuvee Renee was for sure. The tart character is very well done, as it isn't unpleasant at all like warheads or sour candy like that - it is just the right level of sour. Flavors start with fruity, musty tartness before moving to more funk and a kick of lemon at the end that reminds me of lemon rice in that it possesses some spice or other taste along with the main lemon flavor. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is nothing but pleasing. I haven't had enough gueuzes to legitimately give out 5s for taste yet, but I'm sorely tempted here.

Mouthfeel is a fantastic meld of crisp smooth lightness and puckering sour acidity. The two go together very well, and the carbonation is a fantastic side-kick to the tartness, adding a lively nature. Drinkability is phenomenal for how strong the flavors are. The enamel-destroying acidity in the mouthfeel hinders the ability drink large quantities of this at one time, but I had no problem putting down a bomber of this in about a half hour. My first taste of Cantillon will not be forgotten, and I now understand the fever people have for this brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a large wine glass

A: Hazy burnt orange with a small white head that dissipates to a cap of foam very quickly.

S: This is a funky smelling beer. The Brett comes out right away, all sour and tart. There is also some vinegar and a hint of oak.

T: Mouth-puckeringly tart. I can taste lemon and cider-vinegar. Sour apple, some citrus and some general barnyard funk. Leaves my mouth watering and a sourness (a good sourness) at the back of my mouth.

M: Light and fairly effervescent.

O: A very drinkable, tart gueuze. Absolutely delicious. This beer is a winner.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

I excitedly picked up a bottle of this at Kahn's in Indianapolis. This is my first Gueuze, so I really didn't know what to expect but I have been craving a nice sour beer for a long time.
There was a decent amount of gunsmoke but no gushing when I popped the cork on this one. I came to realize this was bottled in 2002 as noted by the cork. A nice pale golden color supported an instantly disapating white head, leaving only a slight collar around the edge of the glass. Aroma was very intense, instantly filling my room with a musty fruitiness. Nose isn't as funky as I was expecting, but there definately are aromas of tart apples. Taste matches well with the aroma. Initially very dry with strong fruit notes but dissolves into a sourness that wasn't as over the top as I was expecting. A little bit of saison barnyard flavor comes through but it is really subtle. The flavor this leaves on your lips is superb. I was suprised to find this highly drinkable (or sipable). An excellent excellent brew. I'm now on a mission to sample as much Cantillon as possible and I can only pray that other gueuzes are as excellent as this one.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

.Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a puffy white head. Leaves some very clingy lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell is nicely complex. Vinegary, citrus, soy sauce, and some barnyard funk.

Taste is super tart. Lots of lemon upfront with some nice floral flavors and also some wheat flavors.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium bodied. Drinkability is good for a sour. Definately needs to be shared. Great beer and I'm glad I finally got to try it.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours a clear straw color with a medium size white head. The head fades quickly but leaves some minor lacing. Carbonation can be seen throughout.

S - Earthy smell, grass, lemon, funk.

T - Very acidic, sour and wonderful. Dry finish, almost champagne like. I also detect a slight bit of apple.

M - Light and airy.

D - I could definitely drink more of these. This is one of the best guezes I have had.

3.9/5  rDev -11%

A: A hazy golden orange with a small white head that disappears unusually quick. Very few exceptional traitsi n the appearance.

S: Lemon, grass, sour apple and vinegar. Vinegar contributes most of the bite so it stands out, though I wouldn't say it's the most abundant 'ingredient'.

T: Mostly what was in the nose with a little bit more of a complex grass/hay/barnyard taste mixed in and the sourness of maybe more fruits than were in the nose. Vinegar certainly fights for attention in the taste and the taste disappears then comes back in full force for a last battle, which itself reminds me of vinegar.

M: Mouthfeel like a high-quality sparkling wine with plenty of carbonation but a very light and refreshing, yet biting feel to it that makes it a beer that commands attention, inspires a lightness of spirit and so contributes to the enjoyability of drinking.

O: Don't feel its the best execution of the style and there was more vinegar than I'd like, but it's still very refreshing to drink and everything that it offers comes in top quality form.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was really musty, dry and sour all around. Quite enjoyable between the bigger beers and really thankful I got to try it. The funk was too jaw locking, I could easily keep sipping it.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2007 bottle at Cantillon Brewery. (Side note, I had this at the same time as 2008 Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise).

Golden yellow color with a sizeable nice fizzy foam head which dissipates quickly. Barnyard funk, lemon grass, wheat, oak... it's all in the smell. More sour present than the funk in the taste, but follows the smell notes closely with all kinds flavors: citrus (lemon), oaks, weeds and wild grass.. some kind of cheese!? Being inside Cantillon brewery and drinking this, you can definitely pick up the smells in the air from the place and all the barrels, and how they make it into each beer. Truly unique. The aftertaste is dry but refreshing ... not sure how that makes sense, but as I was sipping I could pick up each finish. Just a phenomenal beer. Cantillon brews truly are unlike any other and at the top of the class. This one is no exception.

Source/Serving: Draft @ City Beer Store

S: Chardonnay vinegar, fresh but tart berries, candied lemons and grapefruit, golden raisins. Seamless. Amazing how clean it is with no 'off' flavors. Seriously high quality.

T: Super fresh, crisp and tart with bright lemon and tropical fruits which hit briefly as oily but then as juicy. Eases into more sour depth in the middle along with some unripe banana, grapefruit oil with a light, stale, chardonnay, and bubblegum edge. Hints at leather on top of the lemon that carries over from the initial taste. Fairly dry throughout. Finish is slightly grapefruit pith bitter and not as sour. Bitter raisins, stale white wine, and a little spice with lemon candy/wine lingering sweet and sour which very slowly dries out.

Notes: Flavors are smooth and sharp and lacking anything 'off'. Complex.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Pours a nice golden, orange color with a light head with some lacine.

S - Barnyard funk, citrus, grass, sour, and lemons

T - Dry, lemony, and funky. The balance on this gueuze is just amazing. Nothing really over powers any of the other flavors.

M - Smooth, slightly carbonated, and very crisp and refreshing.

D - For a gueuze, very very drinkable. With each sip I couldn't wait for the next one. It was so refreshing and just damn tasty. I will seek this one out again!

4.09/5  rDev -6.6%

375ml bottle, bottled june 2011

A- Golden yellow, maybe just a bit darker than golden, slightly torbid. a finger of very fine white head disappears in the span of a couple of seconds

S- Great. Strong citric tartness, with lemon in evidence, though notes of apple and grapefruit can be noticed as well. Then some wonderful subtle hints of vinegar and also a slight earthy/barnyard feel. Sweet and rustic

T- Sour of course. Both on the tart/fruity side and on the lactic side. Tartness has dry, pleasantly astringent notes of lemon, apricots, grapefruit, apple and a lively touch of spiciness. Lactic notes bring some balance with an earthy feel and a light funk hint

M- Light bodied, medium carbonation brings a bit of a lively feel. Dry, Sharp and astringent, expecially on the palate. A bit more on the juicy side on the tongue

O- A beer that represents a style a very good one at doing this. Very complex, nice balance and drinkabilty despite strong tartness. Excellent

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage - 375ml bottle poured into a tulip...

Pours a nice hazy glowing gold color with three fingers of very fine bubbled white head which recedes into a cap of white haze on the beer, no lacing is left behind...

Smell is tart and acidic, lemon and sour apples. Some damp hay and barnyard funky love...and an overall thick mustiness. Smell actually reminds me of the damp concrete basement at our lakehouse, eerily similar actually...(imagine a mix of damp earth, a plethora of [used] fishing tackle, lifejackets, cobwebs and old basement...sounds awesome, huh??)

A little less sour (surprisingly to me) than the 2007 Vintage I had recently, but all the other flavors come forward more. Still aggressively tart and lemony, acidic, heartburn inducer. Loads of funk and mustiness, much more so than a 3 year old vintage...I never fully understood "barnyard" til this beer, I just had an epiphany on like the 3rd sip, I said to myself, "self, hmmm, this is definitely barny." Delicious. Cantillon.

Medium bodied with good carbonation, definitely a bit of a "scrubbing bubbles" effect. Has a slick feel after the bubbles hit your tongue and dissipate. An earthy, slightly funky aftertaste...

I love Cantillon, that is all...

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Served from a 375mL bottle into snifter. Spoiler alert: I've had this beer many times before, and I think it is the best "common" / mass-produced gueuze on the market... though the 3F comes close.

A: Slightly hazy, gold. Small, white head that quickly dissapears.

S: Oak, pine... general "cellar smell." There is a certain fruitiness to it, as well (citrus?).

T: Incredibly delicious. What sets Cantillon apart from the others is the absolute balance of all elements. It's got oakiness, subtle citrus and maybe apricot, funk, and sourness, but nothing excessively sticks out.

M: Oh, and there's also the beautiful mouthfeel and body. It's sour, pleasant, and very light. You could drink this beer all day.

O: Some breweries are overrated and overhyped. And I'm not just talking about companies like Dogfish Head, but even the actual good ones - say, Russian River. I like Russian River, and drink their stuff regularly, but they do not deserve the hype (heck, I prefer Cascade Barrel House). Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen really do deserve their hype and their wonderful reviews. The Cantillon gueuze is just amazingly balanced. I can see why some people prefer the 3F (and I love that one, as well), but Cantillon keeps its oak flavor in check, thereby creating a beer that is extremely easy to drink and exposing an array of subtle but interesting flavors.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 2009 375ml bottle into Cantillon long stem glass. Color is a clear golden with a small white head that fades to a collar. Smell is very typical Cantillon - lots of funk, lemons and bright citrus, pineapple, one of the fruitier smelling lambics I have had. Taste is sour and acidic up front, but as the initial harsh flavors subside there is a lot of fresh lemon and tropical fruit, slightly metallic. Mouthfeel is medium/light body with a light but active carbonation and a dry finish. An excellent Gueuze, one of the best around. I am rarely disappointed with any Cantillon beers.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

375 ml bottle bottled on 9 march 2011. Pours a slightly hazy light amber with a small white head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is really funky with lots of brett, some horseradish, a light sulfur note, and some earthiness. The taste has a big lactic tartness with lemon, slight horseradish, and lots of funky brett. The finish is tart with earthy brett. Medium body. Low carbonation. Dry throughout. This was drank side by side with a 3F Oude Geuze. I slightly preferred the 3F, but this was still great. I suspect that the slight sulfur note will go away with some age and this beer will get even better.

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Vintage 2014 bottle pour into a wine glass. Funky, slightly sour, hay with a bit of brett. Lighty acidic and better as it warms. Tart and refreshing, excellent overall.

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance:

This beer comes in a well presented 375ml green bottle with a cork and cap, which really amps the artistic look to it. I pulled the wrapping off and got a pleasant pop noise as I slid the cork out and reached for my new tulip which was given to me by a friend. I gave this beer a healthy straight on pour and it greeted me with a sold three finger thick head which appeared to be really light and fluffy. I'm holding my glass up to the light and I'm getting a really vibrant dark gold color that has a slight amount of haze in it. As typical I gave the glass a nice swirl and didn't really get any legs running down the wall which confirms that this is a nice light beer.

Smell:

Right off the top there is a huge bouquet of sour apples, grassy hay like aromas, with some acidity and vinegar thrown in. This almost reminds me of a dry cider that was soured intentionally, with some lemon and faint oak notes thrown in. This is a real nice challenge to pick out all of the nuances going on here since it is so complex... wait I have another good descriptor for you...hear me out...this is almost musty smelling like and old basement.

Taste:

Holy *@$& is this sour! I took my first big sip and it made my eyes close it was that tart. Now don't get me wrong here this isn't a sour like when milk goes bad this is a pleasant flavor adding tartness meshed with complexity. I'm pulling out loads of lemon, acid, barnyard funk, citrus, and lots of fruit. Almost every sip I take the flavor profile changes and I love every one! This is the true meaning of fermented art work because this beer takes a true test of time, skill, and a little bit of insanity to make. The beer has a real dry finish almost like a brute champagne and really is a nice because you want to keep coming back for more on a hot day like today. But in a whole there is no other way to describe this but just mouth puckering tartness.

Drinkability:

This was an amazing shock to the taste buds today, I recommend that everyone breaks away from their favorite style once and awhile just to give your senses something new to enjoy. As far as drinkability goes, this one is really going to be up to you because it is so different from any style out there. I'd say that its pretty drinkable but not in large quantities and I'm glad that it was in a short bottle. This beer was refreshing and tart and I could see it pairing very well with lots of foods and desserts. If you happen to come across this style of beer go for it, you never know what you'll think unless you try it

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

12.7 oz corked and capped bottle poured into a La Trappe glass. From 10/03/09 notes. This one has a yellow label with a man drinking in a chair.

Opens with a nice champagne pop and pours with a loud hiss. A small head forms and immediately fades almost completely. Body is that cloudy, almost dirty yellow-orange of many Cantillon brews. Very fine carbonation is easily visible.

Aroma very pungent with a high amount of what is so often called horse blanket. Having never been in a stable I'd sooner say 'dirty towel' but you get the picture. Faint sweetness comes through just enough to make itself known along with some sour bread notes. Funk is really the most intense smell though. Has that 'are you sure this is safe to drink?' character that the funkiest lambics share.

After the zaniness of the nose the flavor isn't as intense as I expected. Actually fairly balanced all things considered. Funk is there in good measure, at first in the aftertaste, then more as it reached CA room temperature. Not harshly sour, slightly dry, faintly sweet, with a good woody character.

Very drinkable once I adjusted to the funky pungency but I'm still glad I went with the smaller bottle. 750 ml of Gueuze is a little much me. Feel was excellent with the pleasantly intricate prickly carbonation.

All in all another highly enjoyable Cantillon brew. These beers are becoming a regular part of my beer runs. Hopefully I can find more Cantillon offerings in these smaller bottles as the big ones are a little pricey.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

November 2009 Bottle, poured into Bruery Tulip Glass.

Appearance: Golden Blonde, medium lasting white head.

Smell: Sour, horse blanket, bell pepper, spicy.

Taste: Tart, Sour, classic lambic base.

Overall: Good sour beer, no fruit flavors or other additives.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

After removing the cork which cracked in half, no doubt due to improper storage (2009 vintage) a cloudy orange/brown and medium amber body cascades down the glass, releasing a one finger's worth of white quickly dissipating head.

Deeply complex taste with soft, tart fruits, hay, lemons sprinkled with sugar, and a vinegar-like middle. Also some green grapes and what I detect as a mix between pepper and nutmeg and other spices; some delicious yeast and funk to be sure. This beer is truly a masterpiece given its exquisite balance and no off flavors. Each sip gives a different experience as the beer changes and unfolds throughout the duration of the imbibing experience. Suffice it to say, I ended up just having to enjoy this brew after giving up trying to do some in depth analysis.

Sugary malt character adds balance but doesn't distract from the funky, tart interplay. Bitterness tingles early on but disappear as sourness crescendos. A desire to keep experiencing the flavor roller-coaster yields an excellent drink-ability rating.

Medium carbonated with a fluffy light to medium body. Smooth and slick over the tongue. Refreshing and invigorating; a perfectly crafted lambic.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

This beer pours a hazy golden straw color with little head and no retention. The carbonation is mild. The smell is tart Granny smith apples, dank basement musk and bits of white wine, pepper and cider. Less tartness than the Oude Gueuze I sampled last night.

Glug glug glug

The flavor is crisp and very tart apples with a dry finish. Ethers are slightly present as well as dry vinegary aftertaste. Over all the mouth feel is much less busy than the Oude and this comes across as a more focused and easier drinking gueuze than the Oude. Actually this is MUCH easier to drink than the Oude and I find the overall effect of this beer more inviting. I would use this to entice wine fans over to the beer side of things. Overall a great and tasty beer, and a wonderful (introduction to as well) gueuze.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon