Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#172

Ratings: 3,732 |  Reviews: 911

4.26/5  rDev -4.3%

First day of spring and I'm home from work early, so this seemed like the perfect beer to crack open. From a 750ml bottled 4 Oct 2013, bought in February this year at the brewery in Brussels. I got to sample some when I was there, but it was the day I arrived, so I was exhausted and can't really remember what it tasted like.

Holy shit - I'm slammed with the aroma as soon as I pop the cork! Lots of lemony sourness, and lots of what I think can only be described as funk. When I pour it into the glass, I can smell it from across the room!

Appearance is a cloudy orange, with a fluffy white head that fades to a nice little film that sticks around and leaves little tendrils of lace.

Aroma is really nice. I'm pretty new to sours, so I'm not sure how to describe most of these smells. There's definitely lots of citrus going on, mostly lemons. Maybe some green apple, too. And then there's a nice funk underlying it. This aroma is literally making my mouth water. Can't wait to drink it.

Taste has all the citrus up front. It's a nice level of sourness - kind of mouth-puckering, but not overwhelming. It gets a little weird for me on the swallow, though - that's when this weird astringent, minerally, medicinal flavor comes in that I'm not really crazy about. It tastes kind of like if you crushed up some rocks and mixed it in water maybe? Not much funk present on the palate. The tartness saps your tongue of all moisture and makes it beg for another sip.

Mouthfeel is great - moderate thickness, lots of carbonation. It perfectly matches the flavor. Super dry finish.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, although, like I said, I am relatively new to sours. It was perfect for the first day of spring! :)

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon