Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#174

Ratings: 3,779 |  Reviews: 915
3.85/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a medium sized goblet with an orangey color with gold highlights. Lots of tight-knit groups of bubble formed a small white head. It subsides to leave just a ring, but lots of bubbly still going on.

The smell is vinous (champagney) and musky right from the start with a tinge of sourness. Also citrus zest in the nose.

Thin bodied, dry mouthfeel with a low-medium degree of carbonation. The taste is very mature, more forward than the malt are more musk and sourness. When the malt finally comes across it is underneath a wave of rich, winey flavors that are lighting up the back of the tongue. Great length! As a stand alone 12oz. bottle this is a pretty drinkable brew. I don't think I could drink much more than that in a sitting.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

Label on da bottle states: Organic gueuze oak aged & blended lambic of 1,2 and 3 year old lambics creating a 2nd fermentaion in the bottle. Jean Van Roy Master Brewer.

Slight chill hazed peach into a tulip. Next to zero bubbles topped by a thinkhaki skin that settles to nothing. No lace.

Aroma is a mouth watering floral dendelion prerequisite. Earthy airy & citrusy.

First swigs: Sweet metallic gueuze. Lemond rind. More Earthy but piquant & bitey. Like a roll of nickels. Bracing sides of the tongue suffer in bitter sour anguish and delight. {Pure grapefuit juice.} Dry aftertaste.

Thin feel, tight light sudsy carbonation, make me want to have more and more and more. Refreshing and palate cleansing.

Last swigs: Sour bitter Earthy sipper. Shear delight.

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

smaller bottle, foil, cap and cork, cork states this one was bottled in 2004. Pours hazy/murky apricot in color. White head initially puffy, settles down to a thin tiny bubble film, leaves minor lacing. Nose is sharp, sour, and cleanserlike. This is a big, very sour brew, certaintly not for everybody. Lots of sour grapefuit and full on lemon flavor going on, pucker up! Fine sipper, still acquiring a taste for this unique variety of Belgian suds. Unless you love this stuff, I'd go for the varieties of Lambic, that add fruits, softens the experience and makes em more drinkable

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%

33cl bottled in 2003

Pours a very slightly hazy golden color with a slight orange tinge. Head is white, small and quickly vanishing. Collar is just as white and sticks around for a bit.
Smell is citrus, vinegar, cork (in a good way), slightly funky yeast. Not much barnyard or horseblanket in this one, which is kind of nice as the smell of Gueuze kind of turns me off.
Taste is pretty darn good. Tart, oh so tart. Citrus, tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice sort of...well not really but it's a strong lemon and orange flavor. Musty sweetness follows the innitial cirtus twang.
Mouthfeel is good, coats the tongue, and finishes very very dry, which is nice.
A great example of the style, and the fact that it's organic makes it that much cooler.

Note: I figured for the beer that would bring me up to 250 Karma, I would review something from a style that I love, but of which I don't drink nearly enough

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

This was a nice find while in the Chicago burbs this weekend. It pours a yellowed golden color with a small ring of larg bubbles around the top. The nose is acidic, sour and tart. There are hints of lemon, but this is full of funkeyness. I'm excited to try it. The flavor is apparent even before swallowing the liquid. My mouth begins to pucker without much beer in there. Upon swallowing it, I get a big blast of acidity and citric sourness, not quite puckering, but pretty close. The big flavor moves quickly to a mellow lemoney slightly wheaty/grainey flavor. The feel is where I expect it, thin to moderate with a small carbonation. I really find this to be a nice example of a gueuze. There is no acidity left in my stomach as I drink it. The burps are not burning and the flavors left on the tongue are really mellow and nice. Another nice brew from Cantillon!

4.7/5  rDev +5.6%

75cl green bottle with full color picture of copper brew kettle. No dates.

Poured a cloudy dark straw/orange color with a white clingy head.

Whew! This has the funk on it! Super tart smell with a farmyard dankness.

I'm baffled. A definite citrus taste throughout, light crisp mouthfeel. Bone dry, oh, so friggin' dry. Great spritzy feel on the back of the mouth.

What a change of pace! What a great style of beer. I'm a believer.

4.75/5  rDev +6.7%

duck duck geuze (sorry, couldnt resist)

@ 12.99 for a bottle this aint cheap fizz, nice pop of the cork, immediately hit with that belgian yeasty/bready/honey thing... but I am getting ahead of myself..

this bottle has no bottled date but I trust my beer guy and he told me it is a fresh case right from belgium.

appearance:
straw lemonade suspension, one full finger of head dissipating, no carbonation bubbles seen in the murk, the color, although murky looking, is incredibly consistent glass to glass, knowing all that goes into this style that amazes me.

nose:
the standard farm belgian nose, like dough witha touch of honey or even summer flowers and behind it lies a flow of lemon tartness.. makes the mouth water, I close my eyes and imagine a fruit hybrid made from pears, apples and lemons, where you get the sweetness of pear apple on a bite then the finish is the tart refreshment of lemon sorbet.. wonderfully balanced nose.

taste:
the lemony flavor is up front (not as heavy duty as cantillon's other lambics). the medium body almost is hidden because of the tart refreshing finish. the carbonation is just enough to keep this afloat in the mouth, like the nose, this is balanced as well. I also detect a little salinity in the finish matching the tart ness, which gives way to subtle apple/pear tones.

drinkability?
well, if you like geuze dial this one up, this is a very drinkable brew, there are no distractions of too much fruit etc, you really get the raw lemon feel of the style. for me this is nearly as good as it gets.. awesome brew.

Wow what a weird beer. 2002 edition on tap at the Moan and Dove. My first experience with lambic beers, so I didn't know exactly what to look for but I've read a lot of reviews here that gave me a basic idea of what I was getting into. Apears a nice golden amber color with no head at all, very cloudy. Smell and taste are quite intense to say the least. Super sour tart and tangy with some funky grassy stinkyness. Total absence of any noticable malt or hops. Definitely abrasive but for some reason I kept wanting to take another sip. Mouthfeel is very dry and dusty, yet inviting. I actually had no problems drinking this beer, I finished the glass pretty quickly. I went into this one with an open mind, and I think that helped. I don't know if I liked this beer because I thought I was "supposed" to like it because it gets such great ratings here, or if I actually would've liked it if I had never heard of such a thing before. But the bottom line was I did like it. I wouldn't crave this one right after a long day to crack open and relax with like a nice quenching ale but I could see it as being a unique choice once in a while to change things up. I'll definately have to educate my palate a little more with this stuff.

1.76/5  rDev -60.4%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Ah, another beautiful Cantillon product. It was mid-afternoon at the kitchen table and there was a brightness because of the snow outside, but a lingering cloudiness. But the beer... It poured golden like straw, like liquid gold, like something you just look at and want to worship. Unfortunately, there was no head to speak of and very little carbonation. The bottlecap didn't pssshhht, nor did the cork pop out like it was under pressure. So it goes.

Your standard sourness, some fruit, and light vinegarish aromas compose the nose. The taste is a tart sourness, but somehow it spreads around your tongue, wrapping it in the flavor. It is by no means mouth-puckering, but just good and sour. A little grape (without the skins or the sweetness) lingers as well as some apricot or peach, but without the acidity or sweetness. Just hints of fruits there. Just hints.

Without carbonation it tastes okay, smooth, but it feels as though something is missing. Drinkability is good, but I had to split a small bottle between two sessions because of the acidity.

A yummy one, and I look forward to sampling this and other Cantillon products in the future.

4.07/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottled in 2003

Nice looking beer. Beautiful pale straw color with decent but not serious carbonation. Head is quite white. Would prefer a bit more prolific gas.

Big nose. Big Brett and big sour apple. Very nice. Get some of the nasties in there too. What I take to be the enterics. They are really harsh.

It really isn't very harsh which is nice. Quite soft and approachable. Doesn't linger in my mouth and make my cheeks hurt as bad as Hanssens. Still get the big sourness in the front. Really tart. Touch of Brett in the mid palate. Really nice very dry finish as the tart funk fades slowly away into a kind of almost cheesy dry finish then to nothing. That touch of kind of cheesiness in the finish really bugs me.

Mouthfeel is right on for a Gueuze.

Pretty drinkable for a Gueuze. Except for that cheesiness its would be quite drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev -1.1%

Served in a lambic basket into a cantillion glass at a great bar in the center of brussles that I can’t for the life of me remember the name of. Pale golden and cloudy with a divine funky, barnyard aroma. Hints of acetic acid and grape skins lurk in the background. Actively carbonated, lively on the tongue and initially shockingly refreshing and sour at the same time. Manages to be full bodied and devastatingly flavorful while punishing with the sourness and overall funk. A bit more fruity and alcoholic as it warms, the experience only increases in intensity and masochistic enjoyment. Not for the faint of heart, but for those who dare, it just don’t get any better than this.

3.64/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

pours like a slightly-darker, slightly less-carbonated champagne.. smells of fermentation with fresh cut grass and other outdoor botanical scents..

the taste is hard to describe, with the fermentation flavor carrying over to dominate the beer's character. there is definite sour citrus in the finish, left on the back of your tongue after swallowing. perhaps the mystery of this beer is its uniqueness, and not something i can easily review.

drinkability is mediocre, but stunningly high for the usually-tart cantillon products.. not that this lacks tartness, but it is much more appropriate with this basic version. i'll stick with gambrinus but this was a nice, afternoon pairing with asiago and crusty bread.

Certainly one of Cantillon's softer beers, the Organic Gueuze is pretty straightforward with predominant flavors of lime zest, orange, and lots of fresh leafy herbs like parsley and sage.

Not paricularly musty, but spritzy on the nose -- getting denser and more mouth-watering with some time in the glass.

The finish is strange, very drying with good salinity, but also leaving some dead weight in the middle of the tongue.

Though not entirely complex, this is very characteristic of gueuze and done with impeccable refinement. Not as fruity as Lindeman's Cuvee Renee, as bright as Girardin, or as tart and crisp as Hanssens, but still one well at home in the canon of Belgian beer.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.82/5  rDev -14.2%

Don’t know how long this bottle hovered in back of the liquor store cooler in Clinton, NJ, but it doesn’t have the current label...
Whoa! Big horsey smell when I finally got the slightly moldy cork out of the bottle. Kicked up a big foamy head when I poured it, that quickly subsided as I set up some crackers and blue cheese. Appearance is just like a pilsner, yet somehow more pleasing. That original smell went away, too. Taste combines aspects of a dry champagne and a sour grape juice. Sourness is not distracting, rather, allows more subtle traces of fruits. Can’t pick up too much malts or hops, but color is like a good French farmhouse ale. Yeast dregs on bottom add extra note of grape skin tannins. Good introduction to this style for me!

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

2003 on the cork...my first foray into the world of gueuze and Cantillon...the excitement brews. Pours a wonderful cloudy golden yellow with a nice small bubbly head. A heady mix of sour lemon, vinegar acidity, hints of cloves, high school locker room after football practice and a faint resemblence to fruity white wine. Complex, intriguing and yes, funky aromas. Very nice.

Mouth puckering sour lemon swirlng with notes of white vinegar, horse stable, a slight pepper and some dirty socks. There's almost as much acid here as a Grateful Dead parking lot. Wonderfully light bubbly carbonation accentuates this beer greatly. An intense and rewarding experience to drink...each sip simply begs for you to take another. Awesome.

Smooth mouthfeel with a wonderful carbonation that works really well. This is such a joy to drink and I could easily enjoy this all night. I'm looking forward to trying more Cantillon offerings as I am extremely impressed. Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a pale golden color with a nice light head leaving no lace. There are scents of crabapples, tartness and sourness, some barnyard, and bits of zest. Flavors are a concentration of acidic and acetic tones, with hints of zest and apple notes as well. There is a huge mouth puckering sourness to this brew that lets you know its Cantillon. There is also what I would say be an almost salty tone here and there but it is very faint and the sourness masks over it. The finish to this brew is effectively tart and sour with a nice backing of peppery spiciness that lingers on the tongue just letting you know that this is one truly funky ass brew. There is also slight hints of sweetness just here and there which add to the depth of this brew. This is definetly not for the faint of heart but a fully enjoyable brew that I will always look for.

4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

Shimmering, glittering, hazy gold. Fine sparkling carbonation clings to the side of the glass.

Deep, bright and sharp in the nose, with wild sour aromas floating about below the sharp acidity.

At first, it's so sharp that it's almost numbing, only a trace lemony sourness and a sharp, bright acidity are dectecable. As I adjusted to this tart, tart world, I found some of that funk that I expected. It's got a definite animal-like smell, like straw with traces of sweat, but it's good, it's honestly good. It's bone-dry the whole ride and finishes that way, with cheek-puckering acidity and a lovely hint of straw.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

3.88/5  rDev -12.8%

According to the cork, bottled in 2002. There was some liquid with black floaties on the cap - smelled just like the malt vinnegar I put on my fish & chips the other day. The cork seemed otherwise intact.

Pours a cloudy, light orange color with an ample if sudsy-soapy head.

Smells a bit soapy and spicy. Sourness not really present in the aroma. A hint of barnyard funk.

Whooooa man is it sour. The sourness seems to come in three waves. *Intense.* Definite barnyard character in the back, and a hint of grain. Almost seems to be a hint of bitterness... is that hopping or is that just the brett-barnyardness? Mouth-puckering dry and green-apple tart.

Overall, a unique and highly respectble experience. Surprisingly drinkable for such a funky brew. Will try it again when I can get it...

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

I purchased this 750 ml beauty on my "it's all about the beer" trip to Belgium in 2004, along with a proper Cantillon Gueuze tumbler, so I was all set to "do it right". I have tried several gueuzes by this point, I have tried this one a couple of times in Brussels, but I know I am still learning a lot about this beer.

Pours a medium cloudy gold with a big white fluffy head that drops down after a few minutes. A very pretty beer, even to those who don't know what's coming!

Aroma is intense sour, prickly spicy and sharp.

Flavor is dry, very dry, oh-my-god dry, tart, with intense cider-like qualities (except the sweetness of cider- nothing like those qualities!) Funky, sour, sour fruits. Grapefruit. I actually think this tastes better in large swallows than gentle sips.

Mouthfeel: A swallow leaves a harshness in the throat like unsweetened grapefruit juice.

Overall- My first take on this beer form was rough- I am definitely learning and growing- this is a wonderful step. I still prefer Hanssen's, but this is very good too!.

4.37/5  rDev -1.8%

[3-20-2004] Hand carried back from Brussels last summer. Feeling generous, I poured this beer for a novice crowd at a beer tasting, most had only enjoyed a lambic of the Lindemann's variety. About 50% of the people thought it was great, the other 50% were obviously struggling.

Of course I enjoyed first! Served at approx 55 degrees. Less carbonated than I had expected along with being a bit fuller bodied, though the warmer temps could have played a factor. Many gueuzes I've previously enjoyed had a lighter, prickly feel to them, where this was more smooth sour. The taste was excellent, bringing back a flood of memories on drinking good lambics. Once again an excellent Cantillon offering.

My label is quite different than the Mannekin Pis label found on this site. It reflects a mash tun sitting in a grassy Belgian field.

[12-23-04] EDIT: Just purchased 12 bottles of this, so cracked one tonight, 2003 date on cork. Once again I notice a smoother, but deep sourness than the gueuze offerings from Oud Beersel, Drie Fonteinen, or Hannsens which tend to be more of a prickly acidic assertive sourness. The deep, fuller mouthfeel made a bit more of a lasting impression on me now. A really excellent beer by perhaps my favorite brewery.

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%

I am told Cantillon makes rather severe versions of Lambics, and this is certainly no exception. I definitely intend to try many other Lambics and then come back to this. Pours a golden yellow with a fizzy white head that disappears fairly quickly. Smell was the strongest wild yeasts I have ever smelled, very sour and funky smelling. Taste is tart/sour something, it fact, I found it so sour I couldn't really taste much else. Mouthfeel was tart and almost dried out my mouth from the puckering. If this is what a Gueuze tastes like, it is one of those rare things that taste exactly like it sounds, the others being yogurt, goulash, and squid. It's also very expensive, which makes it a little difficult in the drinkability department.

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

Brand-spanking-new 2004 bottling with the grain artwork on the label. Pours a vibrant but hazed shade of golden straw with a decent sized white head.

Looking beyond the intense and noxious, vomitous acidic fumes, there's a strong lemon zest component and some sour green apple. Mixed together, it gives a vague impression of ground mustard seeds.

Acidic with some restrained funk, this is no hippie alternative to gueuze. Some orange peel creeps in under the radar, and there's an earthier, woodier component than I recall in some other lambics, even gueuzes and even from Cantillon. Top notch.

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

2001 Gueuze (according to bottle), 2003 bottling (according to cork). 750ml bottle. From notes taken during thanksgiving dinner.

Appearance: Pale, very cloudy gold, with no head to speak of. Not particularly nice looking, but you can't discount what expected of the style.

Aroma: Tart, slightly sweaty aroma.

Flavor: Fairly acidic-sour, with woody, grassy flavors. A little hint of citrus (not hoppy citrus) lemon flavor. Long, quite dry finish.

Body: Fairly flat carbonation and low body.

Still fairly young, I think this could have stood a year or two more in the bottle, but I wanted it with my thanksgiving dinner. A decent gueuze, though somewhat mild. Somewhat variable; I'm sure I've had more sour bottles of Cantillon gueuze in the past.

4.65/5  rDev +4.5%

I am rather new to this style, but I loved this beer. It poured a bright, bubbly, clear light golden with a smallish pure white head. It looked very much light a good champagne with less carbonation.

The aroma is one of sourness that I really enjoy. The sourness, however, is balanced by a slightly sweet malty undertone. There is also a hint of the yeast in the smell.

I've read some places that geuze is not sour, but it tastes sour to me, and I love that sourness in many foods and drinks. There are hints of many other flavors underlying the sour, including some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is exceptionally clean with no bitterness at all. The carbonation cleanses the palate, and the residual sweetness refreshes.

People have told me there is much better geuze out there so the search continues.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon