Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#172

Ratings: 3,754 |  Reviews: 914
3.98/5  rDev -10.6%

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic (cork says 1997, 750 ml label on a 375 ml bottle):

I think I’m on to something here…

Apple juice color pour with a nice tight head…the aroma leaped out, but damned if I can get a fix on what it is: grass, hay, some kind of damn musty barn animal…horse perhaps. But the taste is, how do I best put this. Freakin’ tart…acidic tartness hits hard, stabs then twists. Hangs around a while, and then an earthy pitlike fullness lays on the tongue and sits there like a freakin’ slug. Damn stuff puts Goosebumps on my Goosebumps (credit to Bugs Bunny…or was that Daffy Duck). I am relatively new to this style, but I get the feeling that I am in the presence of greatness.

Cheers…

3.8/5  rDev -14.6%

This poured out a clear orange with about an inch of white head on top. It left a slight scattering of lace around the glass as it was consumed. Aroma was sharply tart at first but mellowed out after a few minutes. There was a bit of sweetness to the aroma as well. The taste followed suite with a strong acidic tartness upfront before the sweetness came in to add some balance. The tartness definitely caused this one to be a real sipper for me since I am not used to this style of beer yet. Body was about light to medium with a crisp feel to it. With this being my first gueze and all I really didn’t find it very drinkable in comparison to most lambics I’ve had. It wasn’t bad by any means just different. I plan on sticking with the style and coming back for a re-review if necessary.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

12 oz bottle

Pours out a hazy orange with a nice head that stays with you the entire time.

Smell consisted of horse blanket, farm funk, lemon sourness, a true classic nose of a gueze.

Taste was pretty good. Sourness hidden by some oranges. Feels light in a way. I was expecting it to be quite sour, but that orange flavor really hideen it well. Finshed very dry. Almost Orval-like dryness. But it was in good way.

I'm not really a gueuze man, but this is one that I wouldn't mind trying every now and then.

4.45/5  rDev 0%

Wow pours a golden yellow with a head that well even when poured into a geuze glass was foaming to go.. Aroma is well.. take me to funkytown.. Cider, half rotten apples, horseblanket, champaigne. All melding in.. Taste is very very tart, a bit of aged vinegar with a cider backbone. My only other gueze was lindemans regular, but this was way above that.. too many tastes to mention. It was like drinking an aged cider vinegar at the same time with a nice saison and craft cidre.. I want more of this. Drinks so smooth tis not funny.. I wish i had snapped up more of these.. Bought at Lee and Edwards in Roanoke.. I wish I had bought the Rose d;Gambrinus but it was 20 bucks and the better have was giving me the sideways glance...

4.77/5  rDev +7.2%

Appearance – This one is bright, light orange in color with some good, visible carbonation. The color was crystal clear; almost radiant. The head was modest and fully white.

Smell – This was still cold when I opened it. The nose started off with a light sourness that developed into some beautiful horse blanket. This is your classic horsey aroma. A second assessment of the nose after an hour or so showed a bit stronger sourness and the presence of a good, healthy malt base that was kind of yeasty.

Taste – The light, freshly-squeezed lemonade was very even. This Gueze is not overly sour like other efforts I’ve tasted. The light, unsweetened pink grapefruit and hints of cherries rightly complimented the other flavors that I picked up at the nose. Everything here is so natural. I almost missed the light, natural sweetness until Skyhand pointed it out to me.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied Gueze is very dry without a hint of bitterness. The delicate, active carbonation was right on. This one is perfectly blended. The balanced mouthfeel was the key to my enjoyment of this Cantillon.

Drinkability – How can you go wrong? This is not an over-the-top example of this Belgium style. It is incredibly well-blended and balanced. It is the perfect mating of light sourness, intense but pleasing dryness, and wonderful carbonation.

Comments – I popped this 2001 to celebrate my 1,000th review on the site, and it surely made the occasion a memorable one.

Reviewing Notes: I could have copied and pasted the style description right out of the BJCP on-line style guide to write this review. Word for word this bottle represents the ideal of a Belgian Gueze.

4.82/5  rDev +8.3%

I excitedly picked up a bottle of this at Kahn's in Indianapolis. This is my first Gueuze, so I really didn't know what to expect but I have been craving a nice sour beer for a long time.
There was a decent amount of gunsmoke but no gushing when I popped the cork on this one. I came to realize this was bottled in 2002 as noted by the cork. A nice pale golden color supported an instantly disapating white head, leaving only a slight collar around the edge of the glass. Aroma was very intense, instantly filling my room with a musty fruitiness. Nose isn't as funky as I was expecting, but there definately are aromas of tart apples. Taste matches well with the aroma. Initially very dry with strong fruit notes but dissolves into a sourness that wasn't as over the top as I was expecting. A little bit of saison barnyard flavor comes through but it is really subtle. The flavor this leaves on your lips is superb. I was suprised to find this highly drinkable (or sipable). An excellent excellent brew. I'm now on a mission to sample as much Cantillon as possible and I can only pray that other gueuzes are as excellent as this one.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

Clear, peachy-gold in hue with a shinny coppery highlight. The color is gorgeous. From the beginning there was loads of animation racing towards the white head, after a few moments the animation because lazy. Concurrently, the once half finger of bubbly white head slipped to a fizzy collar with pockets of foam in the middle. Subsequent lacing was minimal, spotty, and it didn’t cling well to boot. The nose is very lively with an interesting acidic pepperiness, woody too. At the back was an aroma of peppermint. Lemony. Sharp yet distant wheaty hints. There are some horsehair and barnyard aromas too. Old gym socks; plus three-day-old grapefruit rinds with a grassy suggestion. As typical for the style the acidity really carries the nose. Inviting just because it is so funky. I do wish the potency was much louder, regardless I don’t have any problems detected the smells. Maybe I am being greedy. Still I am compelled to sip. Again, as expected the palate is very acidic and amazingly juicy. Mouthwatering. Mouth-puckering. Succulent. The straightforward sharp acidity cuts like a knife from start to finish. Very refreshing. In-between bites of acidity are slight woody notes, some peppery flavors as well. Occasionally I detect a minty taste as well as some green apples. White wine. There is a wheaty taste towards the finish, not bright in flavor but noticeable. I adore the huge sourness! Dry finish and quite long. The palate is not as complex as the nose indicated but it is damn tasty. And a bit different then the bouquet led on. The sour/acidity drives the palate and this alone steals the show. All of the other flavors are too secondary. Maybe if I drink gueuze more often I would pick up other flavors better; maybe not as I am not completely uneducated in the style. Still, I’m not complaining. It is impressing such a beer can be produced with such a low abv. Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant but not spectacular. Amazingly drinkable and super refreshing, this is something I need to drink more of. To bad I can only find it (“locally”) in Iowa City. That is where I bought my bottle. I will stock up on my next trip. This beer is very special.

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a dusty, musty yellow into my glass, with a small head that quickly settles down.

Aromas are all over the place -- rusted steel, cat urine, straw/hay, decaying citrus rind, etc. I could smell this all day. It's one of those aromas that you never quite forget, and instantly recognize, much like an old locker room. That smell is in here too, come to think of it.

Taste is pungently sour, but not overwhelming. The tastes are similar to the aromas, but even more present and vital here. It's very hard to describe...just one of those things that has to be enjoyed.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, light and dancing on the tongue -- this would be a perfect substitute for champagne.

Drinkability depends on who you are. Myself, I consider this eminently drinkable, especially during the hotter days of the summer. Another friend of mine drinks half a glass and has an acidic stomach all evening. To each their own. Seeing how this is my review, it gets a 5.

This is the quintessential Gueuze Lambic. Additionally, I prefer it to the flavored lambics that Cantillon makes, as it lets the brewer's craft truly shine. There are those in the Cantillon catalogue that are inventive than this, there are those that have wonderful ingredients added, but in a style as random and varied as the winds that blow through the brewery, this beer remains the benchmark.

A beautiul thing.

3.72/5  rDev -16.4%

Very Sour but smooth, a beverage requiring food to balance the acid. Amber haze. Apple aroma and sour green apple taste. Mid sip sweetness Not for popularity, and must be shared. Dries throat and leaves a sour with sugar and salt aftertaste. Drink for the experience and then have something to remove the taste.

2.39/5  rDev -46.3%

On tap at the Moan & Dove.

Pours light, foggy amber with orange hilights and small white head.

Smell is sour-patch-kids with an underlying character of hay or wheat.

Taste is like a mouthfull of liquid sour patch kids & pixie sticks laced with a somewhat rank wheat or yeasty underbelly.

Mouthfeel, when I wasn't puckering my mouth in reaction to the taste, seemed ok.

Other than the flavor, which has got to be a love it or hate it thing, it was passably drinkable.

There, I drank it. I opened my mind for a pint and decided this stuff just isn't for me. I've got to drink several more lambics, so maybe I'll eventually develop a taste for this, but as of this moment I find this stuff as close to my concept of beer as a Smirnoff Twisted.

Wyll-

2.13/5  rDev -52.1%

No head. hefeweizen-looking, only less opaque.

Smells like something fermenting in the bucket I left in my sisters garden.

Oddly bitter and sour. Tastes like I would imagine fermented grains to taste had I never tasted beer before. Kinda sweet, kinda extremely sour.

I would have rated this beer higher, but then I tried to imagine what piss might taste like, and all that would come to mind is the taste of this beer I had just consumed. Therefore, I consider my score for this beer, quite charitable.

4.59/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought this one at Cantillon, sampling this one in Vermont.

Pours an orange amber with a small bright white head which fades away. Tart with a touch of sour just like any Cantillon, but this one has a smoother bite than many of their other gueuze brews. Exceptionally drinkable for a lambic lover. By far the highest quality organic brew I've yet to sample in my short life. Thank you Cantillon! Please export more beer!

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a golden colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between some floral tomes and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours. I know this is supposed to be the classic gueuze but I believe that some other gueuze a better balanced then this one.

Re-rate: Bottle dated 2004. Barnyard aroma with sourness and acidic notes quite evident. Taste is quite sour but not as acidic as the bottle tasted in Brussels which was probably fresher. This version seems to make more sense with ratings included here.

4.85/5  rDev +9%

5th bottling. Oct 2000.
Vivid golden orange, skimmed on top by milky white foam.
It's got the hallmarks of gueuze nailed in the nose department. Hay soaked in oaky Chardonnay and urine. Add some lemon pulp, rust and dirt and there you have it.
Wheaty up front, and just for a moment. Then it begins its descent. Rusty iron, cobwebs, and mildewed hay. Uncut, unadulterated lime juice tartness and acidity. Acidity is futhered by a white vinousness. Oaky hues are bolstered down the stretch. Cottony, sharp cheese. Ends with lemon-squeezed soil.
Mouthfeel is equally silty soft and cuttingly sharp. A rope-a-dope in the mouth. The compacted yet steady carbonation keeps this drinkable indefinitely.
The remarkable thing here is that it serves equally well as a quencher as it does as a stand-alone experience.
It's not the foulest, loudest gueuze out there (though it comes close). But it's likely among the finest.

Huge praise, 'Huge.

4.45/5  rDev 0%

Initial odor of sour, rotten fruit immediately fills the room upon uncorking. Pour is a hazy hefe orange with a thick, fluffy head. Aroma is complex: grass, bready, wet hay, sweat, stagnant pond water… Generally smells like a barnyard with fruit trees in back left unattended and old shoes left on the porch.

Taste is immediately sour, sour, sour. Yeast on top of fruit juice left out too long. Not all citrus, some apple, pear, peach, banana, vinegar, very little of it sweet. Tart buttery elements, some faint sweetness arises as it warms to room temperature along with some weird fishy flavors, pungent cheese and ham.

Mouthfeel is silky, medium heavy, a bit biting and acidic so I had to take off a little for drinkability. Highly carbonated, lots of burps and an ever-evolving taste. I like The Bum's description as the "dirty whore of lambics," seems fitting. It's one wild ride for the palate, that's for sure.

4.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Very light amber, clear, thin white head. Aroma contains tons of wet hay, intense horseblanket, bread, cookies, fruits, sour wheat. I like the horse sweat characteristic, but this doesn’t strike me as the perfect gueuze. Palate is full of lactic acidity, but it’s nowhere close to agressive. Sweat, horsey, wheat, hay, rather complex, apricot, peaches, cider apples, pears.... Bone-dry cider finish, astringent as well. Medium bodied, fairly high carbonation which fits very well. Thanks to Radek for bringing this to the mondial saturday gathering.

4.09/5  rDev -8.1%

A slightly cloudy orange pour with almost no head at all. The nose is summer-like and fresh. Big hints of lemon-lime and a grassy, straw like scent in the background.

The taste is extremely tart right up front. The bitterness moves from the tip of my tongue straight to the back of my mouth where sour notes take over highlighted by lemon, lime and a drop of vinegar. The finish is long as the tartness has great staying power.

The mouthfeel is quite fresh and alive with acidity. Smoothes out towards the finish.

I'm a big Gueze fan as it stands anyway so for me the drinkability on this is very good. A nice start to the day or even a thirst quencher in warm weather. You can't beat a top notch gueze.

Purchased in a 12 oz. green bottle which was adorned with black foil neck wrapping. Uncapping the bottle revealed a cork underneath, which seems to be a standard for Belgian premium beers. The pour into a tumbler was a cloudy peachy orange color with an initial fizz of carbonation that disappeared very quickly. The aroma was very unique. It’s hard to put into words what this beer smells like, but I’ll try anyway. I could detect wet grass, sour apples, green onions, and pickled vegetables. As weird as it may sound, the smells actually got my mouth watering. The taste is also extremely unique. The beer exhibits a mouth puckering vinegary sourness at first sip. The sourness is accompanied by a peppery spiciness and a hint of bitterness. There is no sweetness to balance these tastes out, but sweet drinks are for babies any way. As the beer warms, it gets a bit creamier on the palette, tempering the astringency. The 5% ABV is so far down the radar, it slips past the tongue and only shows up as a warming sensation in the belly. This is a light and refreshing traditional gueuze, which should be enjoyable in the upcoming summer months.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled on tap at Anam Cara and at Redbones.

This gueuze poured a hazy golden color with thin white foam that settled. The smell was a strong, tart lambic aroma: horse blanket and sour apples. The taste was sour and tart (puckering) with green apples and grape skins and horse blanket flavors. The aftertaste was bitter and dry. The mouthfeel was dry and tart and crisp with medium body and sharp carbonation. This was a very crisp and refreshing gueuze.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours to a hazy yellow-orange color with a tight white head. The aroma is fresh, yeasty, and horse blanket-like. The taste is a bit tart and souring, with a fruity apple taste. It is also herbal in taste. It is a medium bodied, enjoyable Gueuze.

Sampled 12/31/03

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a goblet. The color is a thick golden, with a wispy white head. The smell is a strong tartness. The taste is about as tart and earthy as I've tasted in a lambic, and is only magnified without any sort of fruit to cut the tartness. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated. As for drinkability, as much as I'd like to drink a lot of these, my mouth would probably be numb after not too many more.

Definitely the most puckering lambic I've ever had. Though this wouldn't certainly be made for public consumption, I know I certainly am enjoying it and I definitely hope to have this one in the future!

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a clouded yellow with a tinge of orange with a mountainous off-white head. Nice lacing left in the glass. Aromas of banyard funk and malt mixed with a looming sourness that is apparent in the nose, maybe something like lemon. Tartness is prevailing on the palate, but pleasant and puckering at the same time. Barnyard funk comes through again with sampling the beer. Fantastic. Glad I've saved the 750 ml to share with a couple friends. One of the finest examples of the blended lambic style I've tried.

3.46/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a wonderful golden color. Although some bubbles appear at first, the beer is almost still. The smell wasn’t sour, I found it more similar to Belgian strong pale ales.

The taste is obviously very sour, with tart, but in a nice and balanced way. I found the taste somehow similar to grapefruit. The sourness isn’t negative here but rather interesting. The mouthfeel was kind of foamy first and then more about tart.

This is the real deal for Gueuze as it is almost still in carbonation,
sour in taste and in some senses almost un-beer like in flavours.
This tasted great with oysters and prawns which brought out the
raw flavours in the beer. Every beer drinker should try this style
to see what beer was like before yeasts were properly undrstood.

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this brew at Moan and Dove on tap. Definitely an adventurous brew! It was served in a small glass with the brewery logo on it. The color was a hazy yellowish orange with a thin bright white head, that doesnt fade.
Aroma is sweet and yeasty with banana comig through strongly some bread scents too.
First sip, wow that is tart! the sourness makes my tongue pucker a little. What a fun beer. I get sour granny smith apples and then a faint sweet sugary hit with a finish that leaves my tongue feeling funny. This is a tasty brew and easy to drink after the initial sip and adjusting to the tartness. Very complex beer and I am glad I tried this one.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon