Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

#185

Ratings: 3,805 |  Reviews: 920
3.62/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

37.5 cL bottle into a pilsner.

hazy peachy orange with some rising bubbles and a thin layer of white head that dies completely and leaves no lace.

dry, astringent nose. notes of vinegar, lemons, citrus rinds, funky cheese, and a hint of apple cider.

flavor and carbonation lighter than expected. fairly dry with green apples, lemons, and grapefruit sour. finish is a fairly mild tartness, with a slight drying. excellent flavors, but everything is slightly less bold than it should be.

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%

2005 bottled (shown on the cork). Served cool in a large Burgundy bulb glass.

A: lightly hazy, dark orangey honey hue; the beer head is restrained and fluffy, quickly settling down to a rim on top of the beer; the gentle carbonation slowly fades out... (um, looking like a geuze).
S: plenty of sour elements to play with: metallic note, white wine vinegar, sour green apple, lime zest, dryish-sweet wheats, astringent freshly-sawed wood-dust, and a hint of residual sugar... Pretty good, not as sour as the one I had at the brewery, yet not as deep and complex either. Maybe coz it's still very young?
T: intensively limey, sour flavour attacks the palate with full force, but in 3-5 seconds the sourness quickly softens and gives way to an increasingly dryish (but still tart) wheat-ish flavour, slightly woody, mineral-like, and chewy at the back, while an aromatic and fruity Belgian yeasty flavour (as in some pale ales and witbiers) hides well in the long aftertaste. Very dry, crisp and clean finish. Pretty good.
M&D: lively on the mouthfeel and light-bodied, I feel lucky that this one is not as astringently sour as the ones I had in the past. Yet, the overall aroma and lack of a longer aftertaste do not quite stand up to Cantillon's high standards and complexity. I reckon it has to do with its age, and this one is surely too young for my inexperienced tastebuds to do it justice. But it's a thirst-provoking beer all the same.

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%

12.7 fl oz, corked green bottle.
Bottled in 2.004.

Quickly evaporating, fizzy off-white head leaving little to no lacing. Glowing, bright orange-bronze-champagne in color.

Vinegar, sharply acidic sour aroma. The tart nose is somewhat balanced by a light, candied sugar sweetness and musty farmhouse aromas. Sharp, fruity esters: cherry, apple, grape, and orange.

Overwhelmingly sour fruity esters: lemon, lime, orange, green apple, cherry. Very sharp with a deep vinegar flavor. A mild amount of candied sweetness accompanied by a 'true' farmhouse mustiness. A slick finish with an aftertaste of sour cherries and mellowed vinegar. What a treat for the tastebuds!

Light bodied; slick and sharp on the palate, yet light bodied and almost airy.

This one really is a treat in taste and aroma. True to the style, this one really isn't a session brew, but it is a nice choice to break from the mundane. Added dap to Cantillon for the organic certification tag.

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Excited to finally try this bottle. I had to search pretty hard to find the corkscrew, haven't had a bottle of wine in months!
Pours a mildly bubble dark champagne color with just wisper of head. Aromas are of acidic cider, oak, and nothing else resembling a beer, this is gonna be great. Wow, this is some pucker juice. Reminds me of my first Warhead.... gets you right on the sides of your tongue and mouth immediately. It's sweetness keeps it in balance. This is certainly my first gueeze (or lambic for that reason), but it's remeniscent of Dutchess. The oak hits you right at the end and gives it a bit of earthiness. This is like a fine champagne, nothing like High Life! I'm not sure how I see the drinkability of this. I really enjoy it, but it's difficult to drink so much. Would make the perfect apperitif, no food required (but some soft cheese would be nice).

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

750ml dated 'fifth bottling, october 2000'. cork says bottled 2000 also.

pours large head with absolutely fabulous aroma - has the typical cantillon mustiness with a very astringent nose. I have owned a number of these bottles for a few years and this batch has improved markedly over time.

taste is acidic, but not overwheliming puckerish, somewhat complex and very refreshing. the finish is moderate and sour, overall a very good result. at this age it is by far the most complex of any gueuze i own at present. Having had many of cantillon's other products recently it is kind of odd not to taste any fruits or other oddities, but this gueuze is extremely pleasant.

4.22/5  rDev -5.2%

2003. Pretty looking orange in color, with a vibrant, horsey, leathery nose, that shows hints of lemon. Dry and rustic character, with a strongly acidic and sour nature and a fairly harsh overall flavor, but it’s just so juicy and flavorful, I just can’t help myself. I love it and I always have and probably always will. It’s just so funky.

4.05/5  rDev -9%

First Gueuze so please bear it in mind

Poured into Champagne flute, seemed appropriate. . .

Smell is funky malty, fruit. Serious funky smell. I assume it is to be expected. Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected, kind of watery with little to no carbonation. Taste is sour fruit, kind of like a sour lemonade. After a few drinks it does grow on you and the funkyness fades a bit. Frankly, hard to believe this is beer but still I enjoyed it. Since this is my first it is hard to compare to others still I guess this must be pretty good since I was able to enjoy it.

3.85/5  rDev -13.5%

This beer poured a bright foggy peach with a slight ring of off white head.

Smelled of peaches, apricots and nectarines with a sour muskiness that reminded me of a bale of rotting hay.

The flavor was dominated by a big sour apricot and plumb skin dryness that was exceptionally sour. This fell into a creamier, sweeter apricot and some under ripe pineapple leaving the finish dry and far more tolerably sour.

The mouth feel was light to medium with a tiny carbonation.

I’m thinking this beer would be better served accompanying a certain food. I’m not sure which food, but the flavor as it stands alone is a little much. I enjoyed it, but it seemed like something was missing from the equation.

Thanks to Denverlogan for this...Aayiiieeee!!!!
Appears a hazy light gold with a small white head and tiny spots of lacing that glide down the glass.
Smell is of sour cherries, slight funk, yeasty cake, and acidic sourness. Brett abound, baby!
Taste is sour with acid burn. Sour cherries, apples, pomegranites, and a musty funkiness that is like a barnyard batch of vinegar.
Mouthfeel is sour and acidic with some fruit notes coming through.

4.2/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer pours crystal clear light golden orange body with a small bubbly white champagne like carbonation that dies quickly.

Nose is very unique. Dirt, feet, rubber, oak, hay, manure, barnyard, touches of fruit.

First impressions of this beer is that it's going to be very tart or sour, yet as it glides across the tongue it tones down immensely ending in a very smooth yet still tart taste. Light bodied with a mixture of sour fruits, apples, granny smith apples, a strong rhubarb taste, lemon juice, lime juice, dry wood, hay, shit, . It has, again, an intense barnyard sort of flavor. Very reminiscent of a saison almost, yet purely lambic. The wood taste almost has a saltwater quality, as if it was barrel aged in a barrel made from boards from an old sailing vessel.

By itself I can understand and appreciate it, but it is a bit overwhelming. Paired with a nice cheese and this beer could out of this world. I'm just dieing to try this with brie or other cheese.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

Slightly hazy gold, with a thin but even off-white head. This beer sports quite an aromatic boquet, tart and inviting with hints of vinegar and musty blanket. The flavor is, as far as the style permits, quite smooth. High acidity hits the back of the mouth immediately upon commencing the sip, though the beer mellows a bit as it warms and the tongue acclimates. Rich and flavorful, but ever-so-drinkable with tight, ample carbonation giving it a plesant, easy mouthfeel. A winner.

3.76/5  rDev -15.5%

Lemon sour, dry, and a faint touch of horse stables. Lively carbonation.

I've had this gueze before and never could get used to the overwhelming sourness. However, I took a different approach this time; wines often benefit from being paired with food, so I made crabcakes to serve with this beer. Wow! The sweetness of the crab and the sourness of this gueze were a perfect match, a real dialogue of flavors.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Corked and capped bottle, pours orange-gold and heavily hazy, with very little head, just a white skiff of foam, despite a reasonably aggressive pour.

Sour apple cider, vinegar. Cooked vegetables. There's also a bit of a musty dry woodiness I can't quite place.

Sweet and sour. There's a lot of malty sweetness for an instant at the tip of my tongue, but as soon as the beer slides back onto my tongue, all sweetness is obliterated by sour. Still some apples. The degree of sourness makes it almost citrusy -- not in flavour necessarily, but somehow I'm reminded of a strong grapefruit juice.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, pleasant and dry. Almost no carbonation, so it's not active at all, but pleasant nonetheless.

Very nicely balanced, despite the sourness. Not something I'll reach for too often, but a fine, fine beer.

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%

Cantillon's Organic Gueuze was my first Gueuze, although I have had lambics and Flanders Reds before, so I knew somewhat what to expect. Upon cracking it open, I immediately caught a whiff of that "horse blanket" or "sweaty" smell, but that quickly passed. As I held the beer up to my nose, my eyes started to water and my mouth started to pucker simply on aroma alone. Tart-smelling would be an understatement. It also smelled of moldy citrus rinds. It poured yellowy-gold. The cork was dated 2004. The flavor, like the aroma, was tart and dry. The high level of carbonation and palate-cleansing nature of the drink reminded me of champagne. Indeed, the process of blending gueuze is similar to that of champagne and the bottle declares that it is the "Champagne of Belgium."

My wife described drinking it like eating a Granny Smith apple, but without the apple flavor. Spot on.

The beer is not very drinkable by itself, but per the BA food pairings recommendation, I consumed this with slices of tart Pennsylvania Nittany Apples smothered in Double Cream Brie. When paired with the creamy brie, I could not get enough of the gueuze . . . or enough of the brie! The beer caused the brie to be even creamier and richer and the crisp sharp bite of the tart apple balanced everything out. I'd highly recommend a similar beer and cheese pairing for an appetizer or indulgent snack.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

I bought this 750ml bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido CA. The cork was dated 2003.

A - Poured a golden honey color with slight orange hues and a thin white head that lingered then disappeared before i know it.
S - Definitely pungent here, of wet horse blanket and citrus rinds.
T - Tart, tart and tart like orange juice that's fermented in the carton from the grocery store with citrus rinds. Rather bitter and your taste buds will pique. Damn, this is why l am falling for this style (i must say I dont care for my women being bitter)

The carbonation was light as was the body and finished on the dry side. Very sharp and acidic. Mmm mmm mmm good. Delicious.

4.35/5  rDev -2.2%

750 ml bottle ordered direclty from Belgium. Served in a champagne flute.

My first gueuze, so nothing to compare it too.

Nice head with good lacing. Poured a nice orange/yellow with small bubbles. The smell was of hay and fermenting apples. Almost like standing in an orchard in fall.

The taste is of apples with a dry beginning and a slight bitter/acidic ending. Not nearly as harsh as I was expecting. My main impression was that this was an amazingly complex taste. So many slight flavors wafting through that I couldn't quite pin it all down.

It had a nice mouthfeel, quite smooth and above average carbonation. Cleansing on the palate. Thirst quenching. Overally, this is very drinkable. I am glad I have another bottle to sample.

This was the hit at my beer/dinner party. Quite impressive in the champagne flute and went very well with some excellent cheddar. Can't wait to have some more.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

Green 375 ml bottle, corked & capped. Cork is imprinted with year of bottling.

Medium orange in colour, clear. Thin lines of carbonation. Thin white head. Patchy lace.

It has a woody smell. Followed by notes of lemon, some funky stuff, and hints of apple.

Quite a delight. Sharp, acidic, and an enjoyable sourness. Sublte hints of lemon & apple. Iron & oak. Dried out old crumpled leaves. Mouth puckering, dry finish. Medium bodied, very gentle carbonation. Excellent.

3.15/5  rDev -29.2%

Sampled at the CT River Brewfest 2005 in Holyoke, MA.

This was a dark yellow, hazy beer with not much head. OK, I suppose... only had a few of the style before. Hard to judge.

Aroma was vinous and VERY SOUR!!! That was about all I got.

Taste was mainly sour, a little tart, not sweet at all. Not well balanced for my tastes.

Mouthfeel was a little astringent, and a bit fizzy. OK, not stellar.

Not the most drinkable gueuze I have ever had. Glad the mug only cost $2.00, rather than having to buy a bottle for $10.99.

3.78/5  rDev -15.1%

2004. The cork pops tepidly. Bronzed peach liquid pours into my tumbler, raising a thin ring of off-white bubbles that fairly hug the walls of the glass. A little drop of yeast lands in the glass and forms little knots of descending turbulence through the beer, which lacks any visible carbonation. The smell is far from weak, but when sniffed cool, seems limited in acidity; and just slightly yeasty--imagine a super-dry, tart hefeweizen. It cuts far more assertively--and deeper--into the nose when warm. Somehow this reminds me of the smell of moldy porcelain tile, but that may be because of the solvent, lemony nosefeel. The first sips taste just like sour lemon candy with the sugar removed. Fresh unsweetened lime juice follows, over a gossamer-faint, rice-paper maltiness. Hay and wilted lettuce round out the finish. The mouthfeel is cleansing in its tartness but finishes all too brief and would gain so much from some lively carbonation. Drinkability seems almost too easy, but I have to remind myself that I'm still coming down from an '00 Iris. I try to save harder-core gueuze for special occasions; this is a fine example which I could even imagine drinking day-to-day.

4.43/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: "Bottled in 2004"...drank today. Decanted without the yeast--the yeast made the beer taste bland when I tried it at the end.
Golden yellow. Very clear. Soda or champagne like fizz at the begnining that disappears quickly. No retention--but who wants that anyway.

Smell: a sour fruity smell. Very sweet. Still don't think lambics stink or smell like "funk/wet horse blanket"...

Taste: Very sour, very tart. Has a huge grapefruit flavor. A little lemon. Very good taste.

Mouthfeel: a full body. Robust, rich. Incredibly dry--very excellent.

Drinkability: A good beer. Different deinitely that. Could get used to the style though--would be great with meals or any time.

3.32/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first gueuze...

Capped, corked and black foiled 12.7oz poured into a stange.

Hazy apple juice with a small white head that falls to a ring of big bubbles. Lots of smaller bubbles cling inside the glass. Now that I think about it, this looks a lot like Vernor's Ginger Ale.

The nose is a nice balance of funk and citrus. Plums, something acrid (vomit?), the barn I bailed hay in when I was 16, green grapes and zest of lime. At first I didn't like it, but the more I sniff the more complex it gets.

Wow, is this tart! Like an extremely dry white wine, with some cider made from crab apples, and a touch of white vinegar. The apple notes slide in for the finish. I found the mouthfeel too watery, not something I would normally session to say the least.

A bit too much for me, but interesting enough that I will try other examples of this style.

4.1/5  rDev -7.9%

2003 vintage

Pours a magnificent golden-orange color with a slight haze. No head but some lacing is present... very little carbonation.. typical cantillon and gueuze aroma.. lacks some of the complexity of my favorite gueuzes, but still a fine example of the style. Goes down smooth and the only real complaint I have is the lack of carbonation.

3.85/5  rDev -13.5%

Well, talk about being in France and drinking beer. this stuff felt like wine- not that there's anything wrong with that- more than beer or even fruit juice (who's to say wine's not exactly that).

The pour is cloudy straw colour, as if you were staring at the inside of an apple. the nose is a strong array of apples, grapes, and a sour twist similar to prunes.

The taste I thought was good until a certain point. very similar to white wine but much drier of course, it is abundantly fruity whilst not that sweet. the character turns to a strong astringency and sour feeling mixed a bit with spices, and the end sensation is very, very salty, as though replacing the bitterness of hops here absent with this. prolly why I didn't overrate the mouthfeel which I feel was a bit too strong and overwhelming for me.

still, a worthwhile purchase from a brilliant brasserie.

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

2003 Edition, foiled and corked. Been saving this one for a while, so here 'goes.

Appearance- Murky golden color with a crisp white head, a full finger thick, reducing to a mat.

Smell- Wow, this is nuts. Rotting, fermenting, sour fruit that went way over the edge. Absolutely wild... think dumpster diving a fruit cart left abandoned at the zoo in the hot summer sun. It's so unique (and certainly not cheap)... I've had gueuze before but this is extreme.

Taste- A mouth-puckering sour funkiness, extremely dry in the finish. Lemon and tart grapefruit up front, musty old organic matter in the background.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy, pleasant body with medium carbonation. The main features of this enigma are of course the smell and taste, and I suggest beginning or ending a meal with one of these, split amongst friends.

3.9/5  rDev -12.4%

The expected tart smell. Fruity full bodied odour. Wine like, but extra sour/bitter element.
In a typical glass.
Foggy oxidised yellow colour with a vivid carbonation.
White bubbly head that becomes smaller.
Very rich taste, sour wine like. Ends bitter, the bitterness goes over in the aftertaste. This bitterness becomes drier. No hops, no malts.

I filled the last glass and added the remains in the bottle. Quite different.
It didn’t give a head. The smell was different too. Less strong, the sour wine smell was weaker. It looks like polluted ditch water.
Taste was different too. Much more sour. Very full taste. Sourness makes the aftertaste and is over powering. Some sweet tones too.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon