Gueuze 100% Lambic

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Gueuze 100% LambicGueuze 100% Lambic
Notes: This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).
firstprev| 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next → last
Reviews: 934 | Ratings: 3,879
4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sampled some at the Cantillon brewery in Brussels. The head brewer poured it out of a bottle that was laying in a wicker basket. Had the color of a chardonay wine and when you smelled it, it made your mouth water and caused a little puckering. The sample I had was very young - less than 2 months in the bottle and was sweet enough to balance the tartness. Ended acidic on the back of the throat. Like a tart white wine. Nice but only could drink a small glass at a time.

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Oct. 2000 bottling...

Hazy peach color, a nice head with bigger carbonation at the edges. Smells a lot like a Chardonney with lots of yeasty barn aromas. Wow, this stuff is major league astringent (bear with me, I'm no Gueuze expert, that's for sure). Ginger flavors, lots of wine-like character, and a sourness that just sucks your cheeks in...then, suddenly, pop, it finishes very clean and dry. Here's a style I need to do "face off" comparisons with, a Fruit Lambic is no preparation. To be fair, I'll give it a higher flavor score and lower drinkability (its certainly everything I've heard Gueuze to be) and I'll try to think of occasions when this would be what I want...hail beer diversity. A classic...

Cork Dated 2001:
Extremely astringent, superbly sour, very sharp with hints of bitterness. A truly Classic Gueuze, often regarded by many as a benchmark example of its style. A beer style that does polarize drinkers. You will Love it & want more - or Hate it, & spit it out. Apart from the Gueuze-Vigneronne (also Cantillon), it would be my chosen desert island beer. Jean-Pierre Van Roy of Cantillon tries very hard to create authentic lambic beers, & he has excelled himself in my opinion with the Gueuze. Beer can be lively (hence the reference to Gueuze as the Champagne of the Beer world) - do not stand over the cork when pulling, have your glass ready - you have been warned! Improves with age. Try and find older examples with the blue and white Mannekin Piss pictured on the labels, as opposed to the colored brew-kettle on recent years bottles. Can I give this 6 out of 5?!

>>Updated 6/2/03
750ml – Old Style Black Label – Cork Dated 1996.
A brilliant murky fluid, which has an orange cloudy hue. Served in a dry flute glass with minimal carbonation, white, but very tight thin bubble head. It resembles a flat Hefeweizen after a short time.

Has all the nasal beauty of a herd of damp unsheared Sheep, you know the ones that have shit stuck to their matted back ends. Liquid farmyard effluent traces, wet straw, hay-lofts, rotten soaking oak casks, old wooden barns & crap stained muck-spreaders.

Incredibly dry, impressive yeast dominant astringency, with a massive acidity that fights every drop of saliva in the aural cavity. It decimates the mouth & creates an arid wasteland. The sourness has lessened over the years. Dehydrated cheeks are powerless to defeat the “you-know-what-is-coming-next” aspect. The Cantillon mouth-pucker. I am sure I swallowed my own mouth at least twice.

Drinkability – More Please…….

Geeeeee-zuss – DON’T drink this if your lips are chapped!

A WORLD CLASSIC that just gets better (worse?!?) as it gets older.

Kudos to EyeChartBrew for supplying this dirty whore of a lambic.

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

Exceptional!!!! Bone dry and slightly tart acidic sourness, very earthy aroma, and impressivly refreshing. Complex, and dry from start to finish, definitely my style of beer.

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

Outside of bottle in area around cap was covered in a black crusty liquid that smelled of soy sauce. Cork was still in good condition though. When cork was about halfway out we heard the hissing and rushed it over to the sink to protect the floor. Right about the time I got it to the sink the cork shot out (attached to one of those big cork screws with the handles to make it easier to get the cork out) and it hit the ceiling.I'm just glad I had it aimed straight up and not towards my head or the window. The head was huge but faded quickly and unevenly. The scoring in the bottom of the glass left a thick column of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass so the head never completely went away. The smell was a bit musty with an aroma I have noticed with many darker belgian ales, especially the La Trappe Dubbel and Quadrupel. I had thought that until recently it was candy sugar, but I'm not sure if that's what it is since I don't know if it's used in this beer. In the flavor, the beginning is some maltiness, mustiness and a few other flavors I don't recognize. The finish is sour and a fairly lengthy aftertaste is also sour. The sourness is the largest part of the flavor profile but not as much as I had been led to believe. A very interesting experience, but it was a little difficult to drink more than a glass.

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding experience. The pour alone was worth it. Big bubbles form below tight ones, popping, causing volcano-like eruptions. The aromas and flavors transport you to a different place. Drinking this beer is like putting your tongue in the cobweb-strewn rafters above the fermenters and tasting it's storied history. Spritzy, tart, sour, funky, bone-dry, delicious.

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Oh my, my!!! This is what it is all about!! DRY, tart, prickly carbonation, musty, earthy, funky goodness :-)

Not your usual beer. If you are not prepared for the very wild flavors of a Cantillon you may go into shock. If on the other hand you are looking for a very authentic Lambic, this is your man!!

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

Had a glass of this at the brewery in Brussels ... can't get any better than that. They served it via lambic basket into my glass then I closed my eyes and I was in heaven for a few min.

4.03/5  rDev -10%

100% Lambic baby! Smells tart and downright funky. Colour is cloudy blonde with a thin white lace. Taste is sour, tart, apple skin-tannin-like and dry. Definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I love Gueuze beers.

firstprev| 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next → last