Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

Reviews: 898 | Ratings: 3,651
3.94/5  rDev -9%

750mL, purchased from Sebastian at bierkompass.com, 13 November 2009 on back label. Bottle has an ominous yeasty growth streaking up towards the cork...

Pours a hazy golden hue with a nice, sticky white head. Good retention.

Intensely aromatic with notes of lemon zest, minerals, sour apple, and farm-barnyard. Really awesome.

Very puckering on the palate, like most Cantillons. Man, that is some serious sour power! Underneath the acidity, there are some typical cidery flavors, with fruity notes of green apples and tart strawberry. Funky, musty and earthy, with a dry, bitter finish. Makes a great apertif. The mouthfeel is light, with an initially fluffy effervescence that dies down.

In the end, I don't find this Gueuze as balanced or drinkable as some of the others I've sampled. Very nice, but a little too puckering and sharp for me.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

A: The beer is hazy golden yellow in color and poured with a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface that fade away into lacy patterns. A very slight amount of carbonation is visible.
S: There are moderate aromas of sourness in the nose along with some hints of fruit, funk and yeast.
T: The overall taste has a strong amount of sour flavors and is quite tart and acidic. The sourness persists through the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a light amount of carbonation. There is a moderate amount of dryness from the initial taste through the finish.
D: The sour flavors are strong, but do not completely overpower the taste and make this an interesting beer to sip. It's relatively easy to drink for the style.

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

I'm sitting next to my friend, Reaper16, who is absolutely enamored with this beer. I'm angling my computer away so he can't cheatyface and read my review as I write. I'm going to sit in silence as I sit and explore this beer to avoid any sort of outside opinion mingling with my own. "I love this beer, I love this beer so much." That's right, I exact quoted you, just now.

Haha.

Review time. This pour seems a little stillborn to me. I expect some carbonation in my beer and this lacks that. I get it for the style. Also there's a very minimal head, almost no lacing around the bottle. I have a thin line of foam around the top, which is a welcome sight. Cantillon Gueuze is a nice amberish orange colour.

I can't keep myself from sticking my nose into this beer. It's a very intense sweet tartness. My friend said some people say lemon, I don't want to do that. There's some sort of fruit flavor but I can't identify. It's like mashing a bunch of shock tarts together and sniffing them like cocaine. Do they still make shock tarts? If not that analogy may be lost on you. That's what I'm getting. Some sort of artificial candy sweetness in the nose. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm American, bring on the artificial.

"Hmm, wow." My exact initial line from drinking this. I had such a small sip yet I feel like I had such a huge gulp, I can notice almost all of the components from that small sip.This is such a strong beer, the flavor will stay with you. I can very easily see this wrecking your palette for a day. Wow. Cantillon Gueuze is super freaking sour and tart! Incredible. It's so much that you have to sit and notice other complexities in the beer, you kind of need to fight through that. Fight paints a negative picture, I don't mean it that way at all. It's like fighting your way through a tough bra strap, worth the effort. There's this earthy note to it, this oak aged quality that's quite delicious. It's aged in oak barrels and that's noticeable, and that's of course good. I'm getting some white grape in this taste. I feel like I've said a lot without really saying anything, it's unique. It's delectable. I'm very much enjoying this.

This beer is very tart so you can either just drink it down like a child getting into his Halloween candy or you can sit and sip it because it's over powering. That's the two options here. I fall to the latter category. It's sort of frothy and kind of thick, which is good. If this had a thin body I would be severely disappointed with the experience. Having a strong enough body to carry this bold, tart flavor is key to making this a successful beer. Jesus.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Consumed 11/17/10 Says bottled in 2008.

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A: Brilliant, sparkling orange. Terra-cotta and radiant. A huge fizzy white head recedes rapidly.

S: Funky! Oak, grape vine, and sour grapes. It's a very enticing preview of what's to come.

T: Very tart! Sour grapes and pears for sure. This is my first lambic/gueuze review, so it's hard to place the complexities of this beer. Oak definitely plays a part too.

F: Beautifully dries the palate, but makes your mouth water for another sip at the same time.

D: Great. I would pair this with any dinner, or even cook with it to extract all the flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Finally got to try this beer! Once popping the cork I got a nice whiff of delicious barnyard funk. Appearance is cloudy golden with small white head. Scent is a lot of lemon with amazing sour fragrances... A bit of floral notes as well with some great funk and oak. Taste is amazingly sour, which I love!!! Initially, I get tartness with great oak flavors, quickly followed by mouth-puckering sourness. Then I just get some great flavors or bread, flowers, and other citrus notes. A little bit of bitterness at the end with more oak. Delicious beer!!! Mouthfeel is almost perfect...very full bodied and crisp. Mouth-puckering sour queuze. Drinkability is very high for me...as long as I can find it somewhere and my stomach can handle the amazing acidic features of this world-class brew!

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Pours into a generic tulip with a hazy tangerine color. About a finger of slight white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell - Tart barnyard funk. Citrus, lemon, apple, slight floral notes.

Taste - As the aroma, tart up front with a nice citrus blast coming from green granny smith apples and lemon. Earthy, wet hay, barnyard funk. A great taste.

Mouthfeel - Medium to lighter bodied, prickly carbonation, finishes dry.

Drinkability - Quite so. A very easy to drink Gueuze and I can't wait to have some more. Glad I have some in the cellar.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 2009 bottle at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Beer is a light orange, just slightly hazy, with very light amount of head. Some gentle lacing on the glass from white soapy head that slides down the glass. Nice slow ascending carbonation from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is very nice, oakiness, tart lemon, orange peel, wet animal funkiness.

Taking a sip, I'm really surprised at how balanced this geuze is. Definitely sour and funky as expected, but not mouth puckering like many others. Wood and sour fruit flavors (lemon, orange, a little rhubarb) blended extremely well.

Light bodied beer with just enough carbonation to sweep your tongue clean. Finish is pleasantly short and crisp, leaving a slight fruitiness in the back of your tongue.

A very easy to drink geuze, and a good option to introduce people to this style who may not have tried it before.

4.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2010 bottle poured into a Cantillon taster glass. This one is relatively fresh. The color is nice and light golden. The head is minimal and disappears almost completely, like soda.

The aroma is sour and tart with a bit of rubber. There is a nice lemony aroma as well.

The flavor is much like the aroma. This one doesn't have a lot of funk, the emphasis is more heavy on the sour and lemony flavors. This is of course, very dry on the finish.

The mouthfeel is light and very refreshing. Nice carbonation makes for a relatively crisp feeling. This is highly drinkable for those who love the style.

4.3/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 2009 375ml bottle into Cantillon long stem glass. Color is a clear golden with a small white head that fades to a collar. Smell is very typical Cantillon - lots of funk, lemons and bright citrus, pineapple, one of the fruitier smelling lambics I have had. Taste is sour and acidic up front, but as the initial harsh flavors subside there is a lot of fresh lemon and tropical fruit, slightly metallic. Mouthfeel is medium/light body with a light but active carbonation and a dry finish. An excellent Gueuze, one of the best around. I am rarely disappointed with any Cantillon beers.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours out a light hazy golden color with two fingers of white head, that disappears after about 5 minutes. not much lacing.

Smell is slightly acidic vinegar, a hint of lemon, some musty basement aroma. not overly pungent.

Smell opens with lemon citrus and quickly blends to sour vinegar notes. funk, light breadiness mixed with the sour. Finishes with slight oakiness coming in at the end to really balance the sourness excellently.

Mouthfeel is extremely dry with high lively carbonation. probaly the dryest beer i've ever had, but I really enjoy dryness.

Probably the most smooth and drinkable of the style i have had to date. the subtle oak really rounds out this delicious gueuze.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

In the mood for something good after suffering through the day before Christmas.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into my Poperings Hommel bier glass, this beer is a cloudy golden color. Not a lot of head going on, which I kind of figured would be the case since the cork didn't have much "pop" to it.

Smell: Potently sour, with hints of grape and a sort of musty, basement-y kind of quality. It's only an 08, so it hasn't really been sitting that long. The sour and tart really dominates the nose, any fruit smell I can pick up is really struggling to get through. This is going to be ass-puckering good!

Taste: A dry, intense sour apple/grape kind of flavor. The musty quality to it is still there, I'm kinda getting a cobweb quality to it which is not something I've ever had in a beer. Overall, though, it's a very intensely sour and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, crisp, clean feel, and decent carbonation.

Drinkability: A very tasty and intensely sour brew. Cantillon has yet to produce a disappointing brew, and this is another fine example of a well done beer. I wish I had more than one in my cellar...guess I need to make a beer run after the holidays.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a hazy light amber color with a thick white fizzy head and no real lacing to mention. Smells of wet hay, musk, some apple, and funk. Tastes a bit funky, with some apple, plenty of sourness and lots of lemon depth. Mouthfeel is medium with a carbonation that is just right. Drinkability is high.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

A genuine highlight of a tasting a couple months back, from notes.... This is very lightly carbonated and pours a hazy gold. I love the flavor very sour and dry, some citrus and certainly some apples. This is funky and dry the dryness reminds me of champagne. Aroma had some clear horse blanket but also presented earthy and oaky aromas

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

I knew the second I corked this beer that it was something special. The smell was yeast and bitter apple (reminded me a of a good champaign). The color was beautiful golden honey. First drink threw me off a bit, but after that is was heavenly. It's unique, well balanced, bitter sweet. Absolutely an amazing beer.

2.98/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottled: 20 March 2009

A: Clear golden body pours no head, thus no lacing.

S: Sour apples, vinegar. Not sure what else. Feels really off.

T: Sourness of fruits and vinegar, some yeast giving an interesting taste.

M: Light bodied and low carbonation. Leaves an off aftertaste.

D: Second time I've tried this, once fresh and this was one year aged. I still don't get the hype - maybe I will some day.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours honey to light amber color. Puffy white head with dense bubbles and fair lacing. Aroma of lemon, straw, and lots of wet hay. Nice typical geuze smell. Taste is peppery and lemon up front, nice sharp dry and tart middle, sour, faint oak notes through the front and middle. The bretty and hay aroma present in the nose is muted slightly in the flavor profile. Super clean ending. Mouthfeel is slightly chamgane like, really drinkable and pleasant.

2.95/5  rDev -31.9%

Last sunday we had a beer tasting session at my house with three other BA's and a bunch of friends. This was the second bottle we opened.

I wrote it in my other review; i am not mad about this type of beer. I bought this bottle at The Struise brouwers when i was there last april. Just wanted to try it.

Poured in a tasting glass the beer looks like a gueuze; nothing spectaculat to see but average for a gueuze. The fluid was cloudy yellow, no foam or carbonation. Not as sour as the Girardin i tasted before this.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled Dec. 30, 2009 - consumed Dec. 10, 2010.

A - Poured out a cloudy, light orange color with a three-finger, off-white head of long lasting foam. It left some soapy trails of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of cherry, funkiness and sour fruits.

T - This was puckeringly sour. Fruity and slightly funky with almost no bitterness or spice.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium bodied ale with a puckering mouthfeel.

D - This is a very good sour beer. I really think it is one of the best that I've had yet.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

750ml bottle Cantillon Gueuze 1996. Tasted 3x over the last month.

A: Bright golden yellow in color and highly carbonated.
S: Lemon Pith, Funk, and musty basement. Awesome
T: Lemon up front, followed by a bit of funk(mushroom) and a slight mineral taste. Very tart and incredibly dry.
M: Absolutely great. Light and clean with a lot more carbonation than I expected.
D:The dryness makes it so you can't stop going back for more.

All in all I really enjoyed this one. I've opened 3 bottles in the last month and everyone that has tasted them had good things to say. These bottles were a lot more tart and dry than more recent examples I have tried. I was honestly blown away. Very good stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle my friend mcann2pu brought back from a visit to DE.

Appearance: Not too much head, though the poor was not that aggressive. Nice cloudy golden haze.

Smell: Strong sour smell at first, though toned down and a little fruitier when brought to room temperature.

Taste: Very sour at the front, with a very complex finish. Hard to describe the different flavors, though pear comes through for the fruit. Very well blended.

Mouthfeel: Nice and bubbly, as expected.

Drinkability: Definitely gets better when brought closer to room temperature. Would not want to drink more than a bottle at a time, but that can be a good thing with beers this complex.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

12.7 oz. bottle, bottled on 30 Dec 2009. Shared with BA brun.

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

Pours a golden champagne-like color with nice thin, white and loosely-bubbled head that quickly dies into ringed cap. Smell is full of a nice lemony and green apple tartness with a mild funkiness from the spontaneous fermentation. There's also a good amount of a odoriferous breadiness from the yeast.

Taste is lively with an initial sourness, which then recedes into a short-lived green apple skin tartness. The sourness isn't cheek-shrinking and mouth-puckering either. No off-putting flavors like metallic oxidation or overpowering lacto-funk. Very simple and easy, yet incredibly tasty.

Mouthfeel is thin, just about one step lower than a champagne with lesser carbonation. I'll gladly drink another bottle of this, not cause it's Cantillon, but it's incredibly refreshing and delicious. Definitely would recommend this to someone trying to foray themselves into the sour territory.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

Picked this bottle up last week while on my trip here in the UK. We don't have Cantillon back in NH and the price point was quite attractive.

Pours a golden orange collor with quite a bit of haze, reminiscent of freshly squeezed apple juice. A light white head makes a short appearance but does not stick around too long.

Aroma is not quite as farmhouse funky as expected, but still loaded with lots of tart and sour notes. The fruity tartness gives this gueuze a juicy aroma.

Initial taste is sweet and tart before the lemony sourness comes in and takes over the flavor profile. With a bit of warming and exploring, some funkier flavors some out, but nothing too outrageous. Overall a very well balance enjoyable sour.

Mouthfeel does feel a bit thin, but at only 5%, I wouldn't expect much more.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottled November 13 2009 and consumed today on its first birthday. Split between a couple Duvel tulips with my wife (TulipSnifter), we enjoyed this beauty at about 8 a.m. after I got off work from the night shift. It has the appearance of guava nectar in the glass with a 3 finger egg shell head from a hard pour that recedes to a minimal wispy cap. No lacing is apparent...but none is expected.

Lacto citrus in the nose there is no questioning that there is something sphincter puckering going on in my glass. A touch of wood mold and gorgonzola round out the aroma.

Sip...pucker...repeat! Wow what a tasty sour beer! I wouldn't call this as lemony as I would say its more of a grapefruit juice essence. The wood is also there in spades, as is the raw funk. Again I'm picking up on some moldy cheese almost as an aftertaste.

Thin in body and moderately carbonated, this drinks fast. An extremely high attenuation allow this to finish nice and dry. Very quickly, the glass disappears and I'm hearing cries from the other bottle I have in my possession calling to me. I'm hoping to let it fester until the 2 year mark but oh boy...its going to be tough. Definitely seek this guy out!

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

This bottle is one year old today.
Appearance: Golden orange with a light cap.
Smell: Green apples and citrus lemons.
Taste: Lemon, funk, and maybe some green apple. The warmer it got the more it tasted like apricot.
Mouthfeel: Clean, crisp, lightly carbonated and very tart.
Drinkablility: This is a great drink. This is absolutely wonderful.

Poured from a 375ml. The pour resembles apple cider. Very clear, golden orange with a thin, fizzy head that was gone just as quick as it appeared.

A nice tart nose like lemons and green apples.

A light jolt of sour up front followed by a mix of musk, hay and funk.

Somewhat refreshing. Dry finish. Nice carbonation.

I will admit that after reading the reviews, I was a bit worried this would be too sour, but this was not the case. I found it to be very refreshing and enjoyable for my first gueuze.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon