Cantillon Cuvée Des Champions | Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Gueuze

Availability: Spring

Also known as Cantillon Cuvée Saint Gilloise.

Two year-old lambic, dry-hopped in the cask for three weeks.

Added by Dukeofearl on 01-23-2005

4.3

Ratings: 1,249 |  Reviews: 276
2.67/5  rDev -37.9%

***EDIT: I didn't realize Cantillon Cuvée Des Champions was an unblended lambic when reviewed. I will re-review when possible***

Draft pour into an 8 oz tall and narrow flute. $8.

A: Two fingers of dense foamy pristinely white head. Excellent retention being aided by lazily paced bubbles. Very hazy and opaque except when held to light. Pale straw golden yellow body. Looks divine in the glass.

S & T: Nose foreshadows sour and tart flavors, yet they are very restrained by Cantillon standards. Sweet, fruity and citrusy. Orange and lemons, some peel and spices. Bit of barnyard funk but again restrained. There is an off-putting sulfuric note, very recognizable. This follows through on the palate but only on the backend. Phenolics come through much less on the palate and make for better flavor than aroma.

M: Tame and on the disappointing side. Light body, inadequate carbonation.

D: Low. And the high price adds insult to injury.

2.75/5  rDev -36%

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

January '15 vintage.

I have a few older bottles, and I just haven't gotten around to trying this beer, until someone was nice enough to share a fresh one at Gratitude day. Cloudy amber-orange pour, with a nice fluffy white head that settled at a small layer. Funky, lemony aroma, cobwebby, green hops and oak. More of the same in the taste, barnyard funk, earthy, green hop notes, lemon, acetic acid. Light-medium body, awkward mouthfeel. Reminded me a little of Iris, which I really do not like fresh. So I'm interested to see if I like this beer better when it's got some age on it. Hops in lambic just doesn't really do anything for me.

3.18/5  rDev -26%

10/14/08- Purchased at Whole Foods in Redwood City, CA. Paid $19.99.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, capped and corked. Cork says bottled in 2008. Poured into my miniature Cantillon wine-like glass. Think it's a 6oz glass as it took me 4 full pours to empty the bottle.

Appearance- Unfiltered peach or brighter pear juice in color. About a 1/2 inch head upon pour which disappears in a blink of an eye. Leaves ultra light spotty lace, which is all common for such a style.

Smell- Light farmy aspects, mostly a mid range sourness and a whaft of tart citrus fruits. A fair amount of oak as well.

Taste- Well, my bottle must have been from a different batch or something...not even up to the standards of those previous reviewers. From the first sip it was very watery. It became a tad less as I consumed the rest of the bottle, but for the most part, it was quite watery. It was sour, but not even to the standards to an unblended lambic. More tart than sour with some pera, lemon and maybe a touch of melon. Oak flavor is nice, which saved the overall flavor.

Mouthfeel- Thin, watery, but a nice carbonation level. Considerably dry.

Drinkability- I have to admit, it was refreshing and easy to drink, but the watery part made it a bit borning and dull to drink. I've had much much better from Cantillon. Maybe just a bad bottle. But, I don't think I am willing to shell out another $20 to find out.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -24.2%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. On tap at Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest. Pours orange with no real head. Aroma is not very strong, mostly of sour funk. Flavor of lemon, slight sourness, and slight hop bitterness. The hops add an interesting dimension to this lambic, but I'm not sure they blended well with it. The palate also seemed weak and unlike other Cantillons I've had. Tasted like an American sour ale/lambic-esque beer and didn't quite impress.
6/4/7/3/15 (3.5/5)

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle at Muted Horn Berlin. Guess this beer/bottle wasnt 100% or maybe not "fresh" in terms of hops.
Buttery smell and very lactic taste, all the gueuze profile was gone especially on the aroma. First ever Cantillon beer i haven't enjoeyd

On tap at Brouwers!

I was a bit disappointed! It just wasn't sour enough for me. Compared to other Cantillons I tried, this was the least puckering for me.

Very complex though. Lemon, white grapes, barn yard.

Cantillon Cuvée Des Champions from Brasserie Cantillon