Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus
4.32/5
Outstanding
Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosé, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosé de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

#443
3.8

Ratings: 2,363 |  Reviews: 756

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Huge thanks to VegasBeerMan for the 2011 375ml bottle...

A: Pours a wonderful semi-translucent red/pick. There is one full finger of rosy white head that settles quickly along the top of the beer. No lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is salty, sour, tart, acidic, and sweet. It smells like the Cantillon Gueze mixed with raspberries. The salt is the stand out scent. It's intense.

T: The initial blast is super salty and tart. There is a slight raspberry note in the beginning, but it fades quickly as the sour and tartness come on strong. The middle of this beer is intense and drying. The finish brings back a blast of raspberries, but the tartness lingers forever.

M: Light bodied beer. It's sweet and stinging to start, and it finishes super tart and drying.

O: This beer is intense. It's basically the Oude Gueze mixed with some slight raspberry flavor. Tart and dry and stinging, and salty. It's good. Really good.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

This is my first lambic and my first Cantillon beer. So far I have not had a good experience with sour or funky beers so I am a bit apprehensive in drinking this one, but here I go.

I do love the fancy looking 12oz bottle. I like the label itself and the black foil on the top but I didn't know it had a cork, damn now I have to go find one of those thingies. The cork was starting to crack with the corkscrew so I had to use one of those pressure wine bottle openers. Big pop!!!

The beer pours a marvelous ripe strawberry color. There is some fizz and head which quickly falls to a very thin lace around my tulip glass. The aroma is when it starts to worry me again; it is sour, vinegary, wine-like, but the fresh raspberries save the beer in my opinion.

The first taste is lip-puckering sour, but a pleasant sour. The beer tastes almost like sour candy, I like it. I think this is a sour beer I can appreciate and enjoy. As the minutes pass by I am starting to enjoy this beer more.

I am not a big fan of these types of beers, but I have tried to review it for what it is and what it is supposed to represent, and I think it does a great job. The drinkability is good but this one is definitely a sipper and I don't think I could drink more than one in one sitting.

Now I might be more receptive in opening my Cantillon Kriek next.

***Update, March 3, 2009***

Thanks to Danny for sharing this gem at La Bella Pizza tonight, a 2000 year old bottle of Rose de Gambrinus!

Ok, I've never seen this before...as soon as we took off the cap the cork started to slowly rise our of the bottle by itself!

Pours an amber to golden color, very carbonated and a few inches of foam rise in the glass but just as quickly recede to a ring. Beautiful sight. (4.5)

A strange sweet raspberry and maple aroma, musty, cellar-like dust, a bit of kool-aid, some old lemons, dirty clothes, and rotten fruit. A little cheesy as it opens up, plastic aromas as well. Some red apple skins. And there's also an interesting sour blueberry and blackberry mixture. (4)

Almost indescribable first sip. Old, fermented, raspberry juice in the finish. Some blueberry, very acidic and dry, lemons, rotten fruit again, and salty. Even more dry with each sip. (4.5)

Very carbonated, almost a drawback. Some prickly feeling on the tongue, very sparkling and almost rough on the palate, but I loved it. (4.5)

Drinkability- Definitely a sipper but an enjoyable one. (4)

Not as amazing as that 1999 Cantillon Gueuze I had last month but still very amazing.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25