Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Alströms:
3.8

Ratings: 2,350 |  Reviews: 754
3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

a- pours a hazy magenta to cherry red with a bright fluffy and foamy pink head. heads subsides real quick and no lacing is present.

s- not as funky as i would imagine. a bit tart, but thats about it. i know this was blended with raspberries but i smell more cherries and watermelons than anything else. smell is pretty weak in general.

t&m- i didnt smell any raspberries but i most certainly taste them. overwhelming amount of raspberries on the palate, but its a thin tart sensation that sweeps right to the back of the throat. not mouth and lip puckering as i would imagine but that sour/tart taste does show up but subtly. cherries, blackberries and hawaiian punch/ fruit punch comes to mind also.

d- because this one isnt so tart or sour or whatever it makes it pretty easy to suck down. i was hoping this thing would give me bitter beer face but it did not. maybe thats a good thing? not sure but i expected to be cringing with every delicious sip on this one.

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

Overall I am not much of a lambic fan. This one did yield some good marks from me though.

Smell: A strange combination of beer-wheaty smells and the obvious fruit smells give it a very zesty sweetness.

Appearance: As you'd expect by the title, it pours a rose color with brown hazes in the shadows of your glass.

Taste: It has a very sharp, tart fruit flavor - that of natural fruits and fruit peels. I actually enjoyed the flavor more than this review will lead to believe. There was something nice about not tasting imitation raspberry in there. It was just very sharp, and thus, slow drinking.

Mouthfeel: Very fine bubbles that never go away - kind of fun, like champaine.

Drinkability: Eh, it is a good lambic I guess. But I'm not going to get it again because I'm not a lambic guy.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - pours an orange/mango color, very pretty. A thin cover of white bubbles at first, dropping quickly to an incomplete cover. Some lazy sediment despite decanting.

Aroma - definitely funky and sour smelling. For a style I don't care much for, it has my mouth-watering as a reflex, lol. Now *that's* conditioning!

Taste - hits the tip of the tongue with a very sour, lemony tartness. I have to hold the beer in-mouth for a few seconds and let is spread around to lessen the sour intensity. The funkiness is palatable, the tartness is mind puckering. While there is a keener sense of enjoyment for me with this style now, for the most part this is still going to be some work to finish. I will sip as I surf the net until the glass is dry. I'm liking the style more but still can't appreciate it's depth. I really can't taste any raspberry, but I'm enjoying the ride okay.

Mouthfeel - makes my mouth tingle. Much carbonation and a very pervasive flavor that is just all up in every pore of my mouth.

Drinkability - I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm happy to say I've tried it.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

Glass from a not-yet-corked bottle on the Cantillon bottling line. For lack of a more accurate serving type I'll say this is cask. It hasn't yet undergone re-fermentation.

Translucent ruby when held to the light. No head retention; no head to retain. No funk, no lemon, and barely any tartness too. Just raspberries. A good bite of oak at the end prevents this from being pure juice.

Interesting to compare to fresh Rose de Gambrinus, which they were also pouring.

3.46/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance: An interesting color - lightly hazed nectarine skin blush-orange, with a fizzy head that barely forms.

Smell: Sour, with acetic, citric, and floral notes; orange, oroblanco, honey, and quinine come to mind. The raspberries are understated, like a subtle perfume. Mild barnyard notes rest on top of the sour base.

Taste: Bracingly sour, lemon juicy with a light essence of raspberry and hard apple cider. Dry with hardly any residual sweetness, but light malts do provide a vaguely husky backbone.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly with small bubbles, sharp and puckering, especially in the finish. It matches the flavor well, but I'm afraid I can't rate it very highly because after a while it actually becomes physically painful on the back of the throat.

Drinkability: This is good, but too sour to enjoy in large quantities, in my opinion. A 750 ml was too much, even split between two people.

3.47/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a light red bubbling body with a white head that has red tint everywhere. The smell is of funkiness and tartness, along with some fruit characteristics (especially raspberry and cherry)

The taste is much, much too fruity, and not nearly sour enough. Raspberry and cherry dominate with a little funk, and not much else. Not a very complex beer at all. Average at best.

The moutfeel is extremely light and almost overly carbonated. I drank half of a 750ml and definitely wouldn't have gone for more. Decent, but not great, or even all that good. Out of the three beers we tasted that night, this was the least enjoyable by far.

3.47/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance: Pours a pink grapefruit juice color with no head and no lacing

Smell: Sour vinegar and funky barnyard notes; a vague whiff of raspberry

Taste: Starts out with a dry raspberry flavor that bursts with sourness after the swallow and combines with the dry sweetness (if that makes any sense) into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but no carbonation (clearly something wrong with my bottle)

Drinkability: I still find it hard to really enjoy drinking lambics; this one has some nice fruit flavor but it's just not my thing

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottled: 19Feb08 Reviewed: 08Oct09
Blood red pour, very effervescent, which contributes to a lasting small head.
Aroma is, as expected, a veritable mix of raspberry and incredibly complex funk. Lots of acidic tang, but in no way vinegary. There's a mix of goat and horse stable in there. Raspberry aroma is not at all artificial or sugary.
Incredibly tart taste, I'm glad I didn't leave this any longer and let more of the fruitiness disappear. Again, strong funk is definitely present, as is a high sourness, which is no doubt contributed to by the prominent (once you've got used to the acidity) raspberry character. Woody oak also becomes quite noticeable after a few sips, which gives another twist.
Body is rather watery, it goes with the quenching character of the beer.
A bit too tart for my liking, but still nice none the less.

3.49/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Pours a gorgeous red with about a finger of pink head.

S: A decent amount of yeast funk, some horse blanket and a strong vinegar smell.

T/M: Strong, sour vinegar that makes the lips pucker, capped with a fruit sheen; I taste the fragrant and juicy Rosé, the yeasts, the suggestion of carbonation at the end, but I however don't pick up any hints of raspberry, though it is supposed to be a raspberry lambic.

D: Not exactly my favorite style, but a good lambic nonetheless; they captured the Rosé flavor well, but I would like my lambics sweeter, please.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Usual 0.75 litre green bottle (bottled 29 Sept 2010) and opened at home on a Belgian mini-session on 01 July 2012.

I've struggled in the past to fully understand why most people rave about Cantillon sours and this is the first I've had that I can honestly say I've enjoyed (I've visited the brewery twice and tried many different brews over the years).

Maybe it was the light rosey colour or the tartness from the raspberries that made this one slightly different: not as sour as most I've drank and certainly more refreshing. The aroma being a major factor also: it being a dry summery red berry smell, with only hints of the sour lambic within.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

After hearing a few folks rave about this – and being a bit put off by the high price tag – I finally received a bottle of this lambic for my birthday.

Quite the interesting label, and slightly different from the one pictured here: seems the lady on this particular bottle has lost her dress, which made for quite a few interesting comments from those who saw the bottle in the fridge;)

The color is a very lovely, very cloudy reddish with golden orange undertones. The color reminds me ever so slightly of freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, as does the aroma. The reviewer who mentioned the presence of “barnyard funk” nailed it.

Big, sour taste, again more like grapefruit than raspberry, but then again, this is more like champagne than beer. Mouthfeel is smooth at first, with a sparkling dry finish.

I’m glad for the opportunity to taste and review this lambic, though I can honestly say its not one I’d likely try again. Still, for what it is, and compared to others I’ve sampled of this style, it’s quite a beauty.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had out of a freshly opened 375ml bottle in a tulip glass. Pours a deep ruby red color with a thin laced head. The funky smell upon opening was very intense almost off putting. Not as well balanced flavor as other lambics from cantillon. The bubbles over powered the sour raspberry notes which was disappointing.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon