Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Ratings: 2,328 |  Reviews: 750

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle shared with Keith_R, served in Cantillon tasters

A - Blush link, no head/lacing.

S - Vinegar and mustard with a pinch of raspberry and a touch of baby diaper.

T - Much better than the nose, straight raspberry bubblegum with a nice acidity.

M - Drying light and refreshing

O - Surprised at how little sweetness remained, I would have preferred a touch more.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

12oz capped and corked bottle (bottled 17 May 2013) poured into a Lindeman's flute. Slow pour to keep the sediment behind.

Appearance: Clear coppery red with a thin white head on top. Some occasional small islands of persistent lacing.

Smell: Raspberries, hint of fresh picked sweet berries, some mustiness. As it warms up there is some sweet malt under it all.

Taste: Very Tart! Raspberries, fresh squeezed lemon juice, just a hint of wood. Some bready malt in there, but it is fleeting. Crisp and sharp tartness at the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: Dry, airy carbonation, acidic juice attack on the teeth briefly and then its gone.

Overall / Drinkability: I'm going to hit drinkability first - I can finish a bottle but I wish I had paired it with a fruity dessert. One per night is enough. Overall, a mouth-puckering one of a kind beer, but I think I'm still acquiring the taste of sours and lambics. An interesting slow-sipper but I was not expecting this much tartness. Any more tart and it would not be drinkable, like it is calibrated to be right at the edge of tolerance to push you to a new taste, but not push you over the edge into disgust and inability to finish it. So I'll list this one as my current high limit on tart lambics I can tolerate and finish. A good milestone in my continuing exploration of beer.

Bottled: 26 September 2012

A: Hazy but beautiful pink to ruby in color. Some light pink foam and a bit of retention.

S: Pretty funky and vinegary. More than I expected. Definitely get the raspberries although they're fainter that I had hoped.

T: Tart and fruity. Nice tingle with a pleasant finish. Man I want this fresh!!! But its nice that its not overly fruity and still very much beer.

M: Still some good carbonation and body. Great feel and flavor.

O: Glad this survived. Would love to taste this fresh but still a top notch Lambic.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%