Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Ratings: 2,340 |  Reviews: 754
3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours bright Marachino cherry red with a solid pink head. Settles to rim bubbles and leaves no lace. Clear broth.

Smells like soured children's aspirin--a bit of the fake orange for the nose. Attractive, though, and unusual.

Sour start and very dry. There's a bit of bitter cherry in the mouth. The finish brings back the sour and dryness. I also note some floral notes. Thin and watery for the body. Definitely something to try for a complete change of pace.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Blush-like pinkish red. "Rose" is correct. Reminiscent of the Hi-C 'Tropical Punch' juices I had as a kid in elementary school. A few bubbles standing guard around the edge of the glass, but no real head to speak of.

Smell: OMG! Such an acrid, stinging odor. A caustic tartness is easily perceived. Barnyard stable funk. Piercing lemon sourness fills the nose as well as the rich aroma of the noble raspberry and flowers. Very exciting!

Taste: Ah, the smell translates quite well into the taste. A biting tartness you really should be sitting down for invades the tongue, accompanied by bright, sporadic flashes of fresh raspberry fruitiness and an easy earthy mustiness.

Mouthfeel: The finish is remarkably clean after the initial punch of each sip, leaving you craving ever more. Completely refreshing with a gently sparkling effervescence.

Drinkability: Excellence that deserves to be tasted again. After a few sickly sweet Lindeman's, I was a bit uneasy about trying more from this style, but I'm very glad I did. ChainGangGuy Approved!

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Review from notes. Thanks to Shane for bringing this one.

A: A mix of red and pink in terms of color with a pinkish head, very thick staying at about one finger in height. Not much lacing though.

S: Lots of funk and barnyard aromas mixed with some sweet/tart raspberries as well as a little bit of strawberry. A little more funky than fruity.

T: Nice tart raspberries, very fresh and vibrant. There is a little bit of oak and a touch of vanilla. Nice tart/acidic flavor.

M: Light to medium bodied with lively carbonation.

O: Another nice sour from Cantillon. Could drink this one often, even though the fruit isn't as forward as I thought it might be, definitely strong in terms of the funk.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

4.09/5  rDev -3.1%

3.8/5  rDev -10%

375ml green mini-magnum with no freshness date. Traditionally corked and capped and then foiled.

Appearance: The brewed brandishes a steady stream of carbonation to retain the thin yet semi-sticky lace. I decanted it as to not let any of the sediment into the glass … it shows of such a shinny copper hue.

Smell: Hints of lemon rind, evergreen, mint, hay and barnyard aromas … tart raspberries are there but subdued.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, crisp with a creamy malt in the back. Super tart with a balance of fruitiness and souring puckered acidity. Raspberries and earth pile on high with the tartness. Cellar and barnyard flavour appear as well as a minty note. Hops are negligible and the maltiness only holds together as a solid foundation.

Notes: It takes some getting used to, no matter how big of a beer geek you are … the first sip always puckers your mouth beyond recognition. A great last beer of the night to either pair with a fruity dessert or a plate of soft cheeses … or just as a digestive.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

A vintage 2007 bottle I purchased this bottle with a lot of the other Cantillon line the last time I was up in Asheville. I have really been getting into a groove with these sours and wanted to continue it on to see where it could go. I was most excited to try this one, as I love raspberries and wanted to see how it would compare to the likes of red poppy and others I have had that have been similar with the fruit. Served into a Rodenbach chalice, I let this one warm up a touch before indulging.

Appearance - The pour was nice, with a rich reddish and pink toned liquid that came into the glass in front of me. Nice haziness to it and a very bright overall color. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. There was a quick splash of a one inch high head of white lace, which quickly settled back down and left behind nothing more then the raspberry color liquid in front of me. No side glass lace to speak of either.

Smell - The aroma was rich, and very tart. At first it was hard to get past the sour to find the sweet fruit notes that were lying underneath, however once it warmed a bit, the funkiness settled down quite a bit and some rather nice tones of fruit started to come through. Nice touch of raspberries and cherries, with that unmistakable tartness really starting to show through on this one now. Nice touches of Brett really showing up as well, one of the more tart Lambics I have smelled, almost a Geuze.

Taste - The flavor was wonderful. The first notes to hit were a lip puckering bitterness. Really very deep with this. Lots of funky Brett sightings in here, need to lets this one warm up to really appreciate it. So. after a few minutes another sip..ahh that's what were looking for. Rich Raspberry taste wraps around the tongue and then puckers the cheeks with the tartness. Very nicely done. Some subtle apple, maybe pear like flavors dancing around in the back now as well, before really drying out for the finish, leaving a long lasting taste of fruit in the mount, begging you for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Very nice light to medium bodied Lambics with a good little bit of carbonation added into it. Gave you that prickly feeling on the tongue as it went by, never even a thought of this one being watered down or light. Nice smooth yet crisp and refreshing feeling across the tongue.

Drinkability - Seriously, I can put these down all night. The sour and tartness of them just makes it all that much more appealing to me to be honest, I can not get over how good some of these can be, and with little to no alcohol too...

Overall I thought this was excellent, a very good interpretation of the style, and easily another winner from Cantillon. I would love to get another bottle of this anytime I see it. I just thought it was simply wonderful.

4.79/5  rDev +13.5%

I enjoyed this chilled at Delices et Caprices in Brussels and again at Cantillon, poured chilled in a glass.

The color is beautiful ruby like shade with light haze and pastel pink head wtih fine bead.Smell is strong berry with a mild funk of wild yeast with slight fruity/floral note with subtle raspberry sweet scent. The mouthfeel is near perfect with strong fruity tanginess with moderate sour yet gentle lemony acidity with low sweetness and moderately high carbonation with very dry yet juicy texture as it finished

The flavor is excellent with raspberry flavor fresh on entry with light acidic taste and sour candy tinge of raspbery with lots of acidic citrus in the flavor with puckering yet bright fruity flavors with mild hint of wood and a nice dry yeast flavor in the finish. Overall this is perhaps the best raspberry flavored lambic I have had-I prefer the way the taste is young rather than some aged versions I tried in the U.S. incredible with juicy dimension and more on the puckering extreme side of sourness yet the dry finish which is crisp from the intense carbonation is refreshing.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

From 08/21/10 notes. Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly.

a - Pours a ruby red color, with no head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of tart raspberries and cherries, and sour dark fruits. Also some funk to it. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of sour, sour cherries, raspberries, and other dark fruit, with a hint of funk. Also some wine and earthy tones to it.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - Overall I really enjoyed this lambic and it is one of the best beers I've had from Cantillon. Would love to try again.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A: The pour is a clear dark pink color with a minimal head with a light pink tint.

S: Plenty of raspberries with a slight acetic note to the nose. Lots of lactic acidity as well, along with a less funky aroma than most other Cantillon beers.

T: Lots of berry flavor with some tannic seed and skin contribution. A delicate balance between the acetic and lactic acids with the edge going to the vinegar. Plenty tart and only mildly musty and funky.

M: A low to moderate carbonation with a very sharp and aggressive sourness. The finish is dry and puckering.

D: Not my favorite Cantillon beer, but I blame that on the raspberries. Still, one of the classics.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

375 mL bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - I chose my Allagash goblet because it holds well over 375 mL, but this thing overflowed instantly. 1:1 ratio of hazy red body and soft pink head. Head retention is great with decent lacing.

Smell - Initial tart aromas with raspberries. Not overwhelming raspberries, but integrated into the tartness. Immediately following is a faint, but recognizable funk. Again, the raspberries do not dominate but seem to blend well. I'm more a fan of funk than tart and I wish the funk came through more.

Taste - Like the smell, it's tart initially with raspberry flavors but a definite strong lemon flavor. It blends into a funk that, again, is less intense than the tartness, to my slight disappointment. It finishes dry and tart again, a little intensely.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation, medium-light bodied, and refreshingly tart. Dry in the finish, which enhances the lightness, although makes it seem a tad astringent.

Overall - My first fruit lambic, so my opinion may be skewed. The raspberries integrated nicely, but brought a strong tartness to the drink. I would have liked more complexity in the funk, but it was too light to identify individual flavors. I am intrigued by this style.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Served on-tap at Max's Taphouse during their "Rare and Obscure" event.

A - Pours clear pinkish red with a small one finger tall off-white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of musty basement, light sourness, dulled raspberries, and some very light woodiness. Not as acidic as some of the other offerings I have had from Cantillon.

T - Starts off with a hint of the sweet raspberries that reside in this beer quickly giving way to a mix of acetic and lactic acid. Not as funky as I was expecting but it still had plenty of tart sourness to make up for that. The finish has a bit of dry wood tannin mixed in with all that sourness.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sharp acidic twang in the feel with plenty of it lingering through the finish.

O - Overall another winner from Cantillon. Just like the Lou Pepe, I have had this out of the bottle a few times and I have always liked it. It could use a bit more fruit in the nose but that isn't a huge deal to me. Good stuff.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a flared pokal.

Big thanks to Homebrew311 for sharing this bottle!

What justice: This was the last bottle of the tasting, after I was denied a bottle at the bar we went to beforehand (they were out). Nice. It pours a mostly clear russet topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises strawberry, raspberry, and a light bit of Brett-inspired funk. The taste brings in more of the same, along with more tart raspberry and some additional tart cherry. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a very dry, sticky finish. Overall, a highly enjoyable lambic. 'Nuff said, frankly.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

1998 Vintage in the cellar at Eb's Thanks for the opportunity Chris!
Pours a bright reddish pink color with a huge bubbly white head that slowly dissipates. Smells of Raspberries in spades. I really shocked that the aroma is still so intense after all this time! Hints of funk, earth and lemon round out the aroma nicely. Smooth tart raspberries meld perfectly with light earthy funk and a light lactic bite. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet and tart bubbly mouthfeel thing going on. I enjoyed the hell out of this beer! I could smell that all night and it tastes fantastic.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Ah, Cantillon. Any time I open a bottle of Cantillon, it's a good day.

This lambic pours a beautiful, rich, red hue with the typical Cantillon smallish head and minimal lacing. The aroma is of walking through a field of raspberry bushes, fresh raspberry juice, tart fruit, hay, and a general smell of being outside on a farm in the summertime. How do they do that? This beer tastes fabulous. A great blend of sweet raspberry with a heavy barnyard funk. This beer, like all Cantillon brews, is much more sour than sweet, which I find preferable. There is a mild acidity present in the finish. Overall, a terrific beer and one I always stock in my cellar.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%