Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus
4.32/5
Outstanding
Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosé, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosé de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

#444
3.8

Ratings: 2,364 |  Reviews: 757
4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottle - 2012 vintage

Appearance - pink, light pink head, lively.

Aroma - Berries, funk.

Taste - Raspberry, horse blanket, tart, almost some sweetness shining through... almost.

Mouthfeel - light effervescent carbonation, I wish I could chug a bottle.

Overall - One of my favorite beers I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 24/10/13 bottled Jan, 20, 2010

A hazed maroon liquid with enough clarity to see a few bubbles feeding a three finger light pink foam that falls to a thin film rather quickly leaving no lace, about what I expected

S cheesy funky gym socks somehow smell good with all the oak, raspberries, cranberries, and strawberry, jammy, there's a little vinegar, lemon, and hay

T more sour lemon and some tart raspberries, still tart and funky, lots of wood and vinegar, tastes solid but I preferred the nose

M pretty sour but not over the top, some pucker to it, acidic and tart, well carbonated its almost foamy, slippery after its gone with a funky, woody, tart fruity finish

O great stuff and I'm glad I finally got around to trying this classic lambic, fruits holding up fairly well and the funk is coming out in a big way

I've had this one kicking around for a while but I completely forgot about it and now I want to try a fresh bottle but I doubt I'll get that chance anytime soon.

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage

a - poured a one finger thick pink head into a tulip glass that left thick lacing throughout. the body was bubbly red.
s - syrupy with some raspberry aromas.
t - tart and funky with raspberries being the dominant flavor. incredibly puckering.
m - bubbly and dry. you can feel the tartness in your jaw.
o - i drank this for my 37th birthday and i'm glad i did. super delicious.

4.75/5  rDev +10%