Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus
Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosé, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosé de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Ratings: 2,386 |  Reviews: 764

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

March 5th, 2013

A glorious Cantillon bottled on the 26th of September, 2012

The nose bursts with fresh, juicy, just-picked raspberries. Underneath the raspberries is a touch of barnyard funk but it is surprisingly subdued for a lambic.

The raspberries again, dominate the palate. The raspberries are bright, juicy and full with the slightest touch of sweetness. The raspberries begin to take on an earthier flavor as it progresses down the palate, like dirt covered raspberries. The raspberries begin to fade towards the back and are taken over by an herbal spiciness and a bit of barnyard funky-ness. Lactic acidity is present in the back with a gentle drying and tannic sourness.

The mouthfeel is light and extremely silky.

A fantastic fruit lambic with a great balance between ripe raspberries and acidity/sourness. Love it, and I love you Jean van Roy

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle
Served in a flute
Bottled in 2011
Thanks to dakkon54 for this beer.

A - It is dark amber to copper in color. I meager pour yielded a large off-white head the dissipates quickly.

S - I smell some tart raspberries. I also get some musty, moldy basement aromas.

T - It is mouth puckeringly sour. I wasn't prepared for how sour this beer would be. The raspberries are not as relevant as I thought. The dank comes through in this beer.

M - Medium

O - It's been a while since I have enjoyed a good sour beer. I have had Lindeman's lambics that I find too sweet. This is my first Cantillon and will spoil my palate for a good while. The rarity of Cantillon is somewhat depressing knowing that it not be often that I find another one of these gems.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to ficklenicholas for this 375 ML bottle. It’s been a long time since my footsteps echoed in the hallowed halls in Brussels, & ain’t no lambic here in the frozen north. Split with my wife. Since, y’know, if I drank a bottle of Cantillon without here, I’d be taking cold showers for a month.

Off comes the cap & out comes the cork, with a faint hiss. The pour is reddish tinged copper with only a ring of visible carbonation. One of the best things I’ve stuck near my nose in a while (not counting my wife’s boobs): raspberries, old paper, wood, pleasant vinegar. I like.

Rose de Gambrinus has that mystical something that’s missing from so many wild ales for me. Tart but not sour, the raspberries cut through the acidity & introduce a playbill of supporting characters. Lemon, funked motorcycle jacket, huge tannic bite, Searingly dry. Why don’t these comes in 1500ML bottles?

My pucker is very happy. Can’t wait to go back. Excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +10%