Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

"It has the colour of onion skin", said a voice behind me. It was Raymond Coumans. He was admiring the colour of the raspberry lambic reflecting in the red copper of the buckets used to empty the barrels. At that time (1986), "Raspberry-Lambic" already was synonymous with a sweet, artificially flavoured beer. This is why we decided to distinguish our beer from the other raspberry beers. Raymond proposed to call it a rosé, dedicated not to Bacchus but to Gambrinus.

The process to make this beer is identical to the one to make Kriek. When young, the Rosé de Gambrinus will still present its full fruity taste. Later on, the lambic taste will become dominant at the expense of the fruit taste.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

#477
3.8

Ratings: 2,395 |  Reviews: 765
2.78/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearence: Pours a deep orange with a thin, off-white ead that fizzes forever.

Smell: The smell has an almost farmhouse, woodsy type quality to it. The raspberries are suprisingly not that pronounced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Woah! Now that's a tart ass beer! It's so sour yet bitter, and makes your mouth puckering for a week and a half. The raspberries are not the focus, but rather come out in the aftertaste. The muthfeel is thin bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: I just can't enjoy it. It's too tart. Maybe my palate's not seasoned enough, so I'm going to go back and try again in a few years, but as for now I don't like it. Too damn tart! Not my thing.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml split with my brother at Red Monk in Des Moines, IA

The bartender uncorked the bottle and poured two glasses. We both took whiff, taking in the dank dung odor. Almost as a dare I told my fiance to try some. It was pretty much impossible to convince her this was a good beer as she remark it literally smelled like shit. It really isn't that sour. I went though a kriek kick and many times I just couldn't stand the sournes, but this was a great balance. The raspberry was strong. So strong that sometimes it came across as malt Kool-Aid. The 750 ml seemed to melt away. To try this is to love this.

3.87/5  rDev -10.4%

Pale, rosy-white head: hilly, noisy, dies to nothing. Opaque, red-orange beer. One or two spots of lacing. There's huge funkiness in the soury, tangy nose. Just a touch of fruit. The front is very tangy and sour. Ya baby. The middle sweetens a little, but not so much as to mask the zing. Some throat burn. Funky, sour finish, with a little tangy fruit. Strong raspberries trail in the aftertaste with temperature. This is one puckeringly sour funk fest. Raspberries come on strong with temperature. Just a good, solid, funky sour framboise.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottld (sic) in 2002, tasted 2/18/05. I bought this bottle from a very reputable store about 3 months earlier. I had serious doubts, however, as I opened it. When I pulled the bottle cap, a brownish liquid came off the cap, and it was spotted with black mold (?). The cork was wet. I don't know how this happened- the bottle has been sitting upright since I bought it, and it was upright when I bought it at the store. Very strange, and I assumed the worst.

Since I never had this before, I don't know what to expect except from reading other reviews. I've had Cantillon Gueuze, Cuvee des Championes, and Iris, so I am familiar with the product line. So here goes...

After getting past the cork, my first whiff was absolute- vinegar. Oh, crap. It is bad. Or is it? After that, I got some pleasant, but mellow Cantillon sour notes. Very restrained, though. Nice!

Poured an orange, slightly reddish tinted clear, with a small head that quickly vanished- and it is completely flat after that. Flat, flat, flat. Not a bubble in sight.

Aroma is as in the bottle, very faint lambic funk sour, but with a definite fruit interlace. Not sure what kind of fruit- berry like, but not definitive. Maybe more strawberry than raspberry.

Flavor opens up, and it definietly has the citric (lemony) astingency of the lambic, but very restrained. Definite fruit profile, as in the aroma, but now I think it really is more like raspberries. But not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is sour on the sides of the tongue, mellow, not remarkable otherwise.

Drinkability is limited- it's a very nice beer as something different, but this is one to sip a while, then put down.

I don't know if this is a typical bottle of this beer or not- I definitely need to re-visit. But even if this was bad, it was pretty good. Recommended.

This was quite an experience, my girlfriend even said it's ok, and the only beer she really likes is the Lindemans fruit line. Maybe she sees some parallels, and this is going towards some serious Beer Advocacy!!

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very hazy orangish-amber color, head dissipates quickly but leaves a film across the top.

Aroma: Very nice fruity aroma, tart raspberries all the way, with a metallic, musty smell underlying it.

Flavor: Huge mouthfilling sourness up front, which, with the fruit, reminds me more of meyer lemon juice than raspberries, at first, but after a moment a gentle raspberry bouquet comes through. No residual sugars or sweetness remain, so it's difficult to identify. Lambic flavors are somewhat subdued, but some hints of hay, of fresh-turned sod, and a coppery, metallicness are all present. Finish is long and bone dry.

Mouthfeel: Light body, but full and quite astringent texture.

Beautiful beer. The only lambics sold here in Texas are sweetened ones, so I sometimes forget what a complex treat a traditional one can be.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

OK I had it already, stop pushing the picture in my face. This was real fruit. How did I know? Its -14 celcius outside the bar, 10 yards that-a-way, and there were fruit flies buzzing around my glass. Darn good for its style, and gave taste and some smoothness to the medical level cleanup of my palate.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

2001.

Hazy peach, pink-hued head. Tiny streams of carbonation work their way towards the top of the beer. The head disapates rather quickly.

Initially the nose is of fresh raspeberries, before long that disintegrates into an incredibly funky mix of acidity, wild funk and soured milk.

Lactic sourness at first, with straw and subtle hints of raspberries. There's a component that's reminiscent of bile and a sort of body-like funk that's like, well, I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but it has to be said. There's a distinct taste of pussy here. I simply don't know how to say it without being crude, I'm sorry. It's the closest thing to the flavor I can describe. Nicely crisp and acidic.

Finishes sour and fruity. Nicely done.

4.01/5  rDev -7.2%

Hey theres a naked woman on the label- WHOOHOO!!! What a beer from axisjones my Secret Santa. I have honestly never had anything like this. Gorgeous light orange to pink color. Slightly hazy. Good carbonation level though no head to speak of. Extremely tart aroma-screams black pepper. Almost reminds me of a gunpowdery,sulfur type smell. Big,tart flavor. Not really a rasberry tartness-theyre there for sure, however. The peppery-ness comes right at you in the taste. Extremely acidic. Makes you pucker. Really pleasant sourness. Great mouthfeel. I knock it down on drinkability a bit-I just dont see being able to enjoy a lot of this in one sitting. Truely an amazing beer. Im sitting here shell shocked. I know these are out there just have not had any real exposure to them. Wow!!!

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My first Cantillon (prolonged latency to drinking due to high prices, limited availability, and fear of labels with nude cartoon women). Okay, just kidding about that last reason. Nice label (as we all know). Popped the cork and was greeted by sourness. Excellent. Pours an Alaskan salmon fillet-red with a small, tiny-bubbled off-white head. Smells of sour, barnyard funk, along with chemistry-experiment-gone-right-raspberry, and that brett yeast. My mouth prepares to pucker up as I take a sip. Good idea. Sour dominates, but amid the puckering I pick up all shades of raspberries (but they are not sweet--thank god). The barnyard/dirty sock funk is here too. It doesn't get old either; each sip is rewarding and refreshing and acidic and dry. Very well done.

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

US trip Aug-Dec 04

Vintage 2004

Salmon pink going into red colour with a tight creamy pink head.

Incredible aromas of horse/barnyard mixed in with a vinous raspberry light red fruit notes. The brett just slams the other flavours up your nostrils and is a brilliant mixture of funk, fruit and other little notes (leather, spice)

Acid acid acid!! The palate is (almost) unbelievably acidic and is so tart you cheeks, teeth and tongue all dance around in a nice kind of pain. Some tart fruit flavours come through, but the acid is over powering. At first I loved it, half way through i was despising it, by the end I was loving it again. Who knows how that works! Matched well with food that really helped ease the acid and bring out the fruit flavours.

Great label (mine had the naked chick unlike the example here on the website) and a real experience. Cherished it, and only wished I could bring a case of it home to Australia with me, as lambic of this caliber is not available down under.

Vintage 2008...Finally in Oz!!! Drunk in 2008

Sweet luscious berries and tart acidity. Great aroma, flavour, length and balance. Everything I remember plus more - Screams Cantillon.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Beautiful bold crimson coloring, a flush red, with a smallish head.

Aroma: fierce, with the usual Belgian lambic flavors, a unique blend.

Taste: oooh, sour, mmm,sip after sip, the sourness continues, but still feels refreshing, even delicious...but, oooh, pucker,pucker,...this is the real deal, when we talk of lamibics, fakers need not apply...
mmm, sour, mmm, sweet, mmm, delicious.

This is a complex, and rewarding brew. if you're up for it!

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

Admirable deep reddish orange hue. Very light head is decent for the style. Big raspberry bushes smell, incredibly leafy, earthy, woody. This is cantillon at its best, a complex creamy and lactic smell with notes of meringous and lemon/citric fruits. Very tart in a woody fashion. Lots of branches and fruit acid flavours, well contained earthiness blends well with the yogurt-like lactic profile. Notes of vanilla, cask wood, juniper, flowers.. Light carbonation, medium bodied. Sharp, direct and astringent. Spectacular lambic

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

pours a cloudy slight red tinted color. Fizzes nicely. Smells of lambic funk, nice and sour. An essential lambic smell. Tastes very tart. Fruitiness is there, but the tartness of the rasberries hides well behind the tartness of the lambic itself. Definitely my first experience with something this sour. Glad I tried it, definitely more aggresive than some of the more common lambics i have tried. Hope to try some more from this great brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up at the Parti Pak in Indianapolis after a dinner at Shallo's. I had huge hopes for this beer as I love all things Cantillon and I was not let down. It poured a nice rose infused orange with a small white ring around the top of the beer. Nose is super tart with a mild does of some Brett horse blanket funk. Taste is more of the same. Very similiar to their Gueuze, it's super tart followed by a musty finish. Not a huge fruit taste to the beer but it is subtlely present. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent, this is simply a must try. Sorry for the uber short review but more Cantillon demands my attention.

There's a bit of a stigma -- and perhaps rightfully so -- that an all 5 beer is tough if not impossible to come by, so I always really think about it when I'm thinking of scoring something as a perfect 5. In this case, am I really going to knock the "appearance" of this beer?

Nah.

A perfect fruit lambic. The loud cork pop releases an intoxicating, invisible cloud of sourness; naturally one expects the dominant aroma to be that typical barnyard funk, Cantillon being the best of the best at capturing that natural, raw sensation.

Surprisingly, it's according-to-Hoyle raspberry that pushes itself to the forefront -- fresh raspberries, rotting raspberries, underripe raspberries. Each sniff brings about a variation on the theme to be sure. Raspberry sweetness precedes a wicked sourness. Rotten, delightful, ruinous, ascerbic fun wrapped up in a remarkably natural raspberry package.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

What a hard beer to rate.

The first thing you smell is funk. I mean George Clinton kind of funky. Is this good? Is this bad? I'm kindof confused...and scared. Ok, not scared. But you aren't in Lindeman's country any more boys.

It poured a beautiful rusty peach rose color. Minimal head.

If you like sour beers this is definitely for you. Very dry, which is very nice. All fruit beers don't need to be cloyingly sweet.

The mouthfeel is very smooth. Carbonation is perfect.

Very, very acidic. I got that feeling like when you drink too much orange juice.

3.66/5  rDev -15.3%

This beer is a strange dichotomy.
On one hand, I find its flavor overly sour, like the most acidic lemon ever! On the other hand slicing through the beer’s sour come-on, there’s the typical underlying signature of a fine gueuze.

This beer pours a red-heavy amber. A fine textured short lived head welled in my glass.
A rather mild nose with hints of classic gueuze character—earthy yeasts, bucolic hops wisps and a fruity vibrant foundation.

But this beer’s overall flavor was so sour I found it difficult to truly enjoy.

The mouthfeel was as uncommon as it’s sour flavor—it erupted into a blaze of fizz as somehow it’s transport from glass to palate provoked a massive simultaneous release of carbonization.

But after the flavor juggernaut tired, it retreated to its lair leaving behind nearly invisible tracks. The finish was swift and comparatively thin.

Yet once my palate acclimated to the sour pulse- the underlying gueuze made for an offbeat eye opening beer.

Whether it could become my “favorite commodity gueuze” is doubtful. Whether it can compete with other fine gueuzes I’ve sampled is also doubtful.

Without question there are better balanced beers on the shelves awaiting my glass...

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

crystal clear burnt sienna. foamy citrus-tinted head appears and disappears back into the liquid. gatlin-gun like carbonation. pungent lemony sourness, mint, and barnyard funkiness on the nose. ever so slightly sweet smelling. instantly puckering, staggeringly sour and acidic. 100 year old musty yeast and malted barley flavor play second fiddle. kiss of raspberry sweetness. instant indegestion. finishes dry beyond belief...becomes more pleasant and fuller as the beer warms and one gets used to this punishment. not something i could personally drink all the time, but admirably crafted and strangely enjoyable, if you're up to it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

My scores are on the high side here cuz I think this is one of the most amazing beers I have tried. The pour is a very cidery-colored leather. A small head settles in seconds. No lace on side of glass.

Taste is a fabulous crazy explosion on the tongue. Very tart with strong cranberry and other fruit and some malt/hops -it finishes so clean and nice that it makes you want more. Almost like chocolate chip cookies (not taste-wise but you want more than 1) . I know its supposed to be raspberry but when tasting fermented ones it really reminds me of cranberries---thus--we have Thanksgiving Day beer for the turkey here.
Mouthfeel is just about as good as they get also.
Drinkability is also very nice --are we sure its only 5%abv ??

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from the bottle into a wide tulip glass.

Appearence is a beautiful...well, rose color with tinges of light and deep orange. The head quickly fades down, so you can enjoy the effervescent bubbles escaping through the top.

The aroma teases me. There is the traditional Lambic funk, mixed with tarragon, orange zest, and of course, the suggestion of fresh raspberries.

Taste is something else entirely -- the fruit mellows out the lambic, so the tastes of steel, rust, and straw are mellowed. The deep, fresh, and full raspberry is found on the finish. The raspberry here is so vital and fresh tasting, that it took me back to my mother's garden as a child, eating the berries as I helped pick them off the bushes.

Mouthfeel is appropriate as well, effervescent and clean, with a great snap at the end, leaving you feeling both refreshed and eager for the next sip.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a perfect back deck sipper, and one person can easily drink the bottle over the course of an evening. Crack it open, get some fresh fruit and dark chocolate to pair, and watch the sun go down.

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a glass chalice at Max's on Broadway, 8/17/04.

This was my first experience with a true lambic ( who hasn't had Lindeman's Framboise?), and I was more than a little nervous.

Appearance: Hazy, pink rose petal colour. No real head to speak of, delicate lacing.

Smell: Tart, fruity, musty

Taste: First a smooth fruitiness that is snatched away by the lactic sourness. Excellent complexity, with intuiging flavors overlapping. Apple peel, rasberry, yeast, a musty funk ( not at all unpleasant). Finishes dry and tart.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, with delicate, persistent carbonation.

Drinkability: I really warmed up to this, excessively drinkable. The sourness is in perfect balance. I was spooked off of sour beers by the Duchesse de Borgogne. This is bringing me back around.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

2003er. After uncorking and allowing to warm up and breathe, it poured a peachy color with some pale red highlights. Beige and grey froth that dissipates into lacing around the sides of a traditional red wine glass. Tart with some barnyard funk in the aroma, raspberry is pretty subdued, but there. Has a traditional lambic feel, tart, funky and astringent. Perfect in a hot, humid summer day such as this. Always impressed with Cantillon's products.

4.07/5  rDev -5.8%

Rose colored pale brown and opaque. Fluffy barely pink head that lasts about 35 seconds. Sticks to the glass in small dots. Another tart Cantillon aroma, yeasty and cheesy with underlying fruit. Raspberry is underscored but very real, like the woody seeds of wild berries on a bush. Other than that, the Lambic nature is pure and cutting, puckering and gathering in astringency front to back. Like a Habenero pepper, this beer just asks you to wrestle with it. Just slightly softer than the Kriek with a superior overall mouthfeel, flavor not quite as bright. Nice oak and more apparent raspberry peeks out on warming. A small glass would be great with cheesecake. Good to see the "uncensored" label here in Minnesota...

4.45/5  rDev +3%

Served at Anam Cara out of a bottle which I hadn't seen before. A half naked woman sits upon the nice gentleman's lap, instead of the classic fully clothed woman.

Appearance: Pours a light ruby red with a light head which receded rather quickly with minimal lacing.

Smell: Tart rasberries, some sour notes, horseblanket aromas also pierce the nose. What I believe to be a little lemon hits the nose towards the end. Damn this smells good.

Taste: The first sip of this beer is an explosion which overwhelms the pallate. After taking a second sip, this beer first hits you with its tartness and rasberries. Finishes strong with a puckering sourness.

Mouthfeel: to me this beer had a chewy texture with a medium body that had just the right amount of carbonation. Not only did this beer taste good but it hits the mouth just right

Drinkability: After the first overwhelming sip, this beer goes down smoother and smoother. I absolutely love it and can see myself taking more than one down next time I have a chance.

Overall: Excellent beer for the style. Another nice selection from Cantillon

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Vintage 2002

Soft raspberries and raspberry seeds. Quite light, dry, and not overwhelmingly tart. The mouthwatering funk is there on the nose, but controlled. Indeed, more than a fruit lambic, this is truly a rose. Besides the pink amber color, the body and taste are medium-light bodied, primarily concerned with being refreshing. There's good fruit behind this, but nothing too intense, seemingly more focused on its qualities as a gueuze than anything else. As a gueuze, this is as gentle and elegant as Lindeman's Cuvee Renee and the flavors are surprisingly similar. Lighter than expected carbonation for the style also keeps the acid in check. Finish of flower petals, watery raspberry-ade, and spring rain. Needs oak.

Relax, relax.