Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Reviews: 745 | Ratings: 2,272
4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Much thanks to mac300 for brining this over to SkinnyElvis's place yesterday. What a treat to have a sour beer on hand =) You know that’s my thing. Thanks friend, I had my eye on this one too.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus does have some similarities to the Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise I had on Thursday. They are not even remotely the same beer though. Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus is so remarkably unique even among the sours. It is somehow gentle in its boldness, like an iron fisted Lambic with a velvety soft raspberry glove on it.

Appearance: pours a gorgeous blush red color with a small but tight fizzy white head.

Smell: Tart raspberries reside in a very acidic nose. Some Lambic horse blanket funk. Boldly tart, boldly acidic. Brilliant!

Taste: Tart and acidic. Funky Lambic attribute leans toward raspberries and cherries wile in some hard to explain way, it never actually recedes in tartness it never turns sweet but it somehow mages never to go to the point of extremely cloyingly acidic though the vinegar is there. It skirts the line perfectly and has a bold pucker inducing finish but always remains friendly in its assertive sourness.

Mouthfeel: The creamy malt is toped with a heavily acidic sour tartness and a great long lasting feel on the cheeks.

Drinkability: If you like sour Lambic this is it. If you are looking for a fruity drink, run away. Somehow this is not quite either and some of both. Delicious and drinkable in my book.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.12/5  rDev -25.9%

Meh.

I figured if somebody could turn me around of fruit beers, it would be Cantillon. I mean, come on, they are freakin' cantillon.

But this particular offering didn't really twist my nipples.

Poured the ruby-red lemonade-like drink into my glass and was greeted with a soda-pop head: pink, bubbly, and lasting 5 seconds.

The smell is like their gueuze, but with some raspberry thrown in. Which is pretty much how it tastes. A pleasant lactic bite, and some nice barnyard going on. It is like a pleasant raspberry lemonade. And this is at room temperature, mind you.

The mouthfeel was incredibly watery. Just very thin, not full like the gueuze at all.

Meh.

This is the second lambic from 2005 that I've been disappointed with recently. Perhaps I got spoiled grabbing all the dusty lambics from liquor stores. Or maybe 2005 wasn't a terribly good year for lambics.

Ahhh well, I'm sure I will revisit it at some point.

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured a hazy strawberry koolaid color with a wispy whiteness on the surface that lasts until the beverage settles into the glass. No lacing.

The smell is that of a sweet tart berry fruit.

This drink is sour and the mouth feel is aggressively biting.

The flavor is astringent. I'm incapable of getting past a vinegar-like mindset with this one. Going to be a drain pour.

Maybe i should have followed the instructions on the label.

Presentation: Presented and served like a wine: bottle presented, cork pulled and presented, then poured into the correct logoed glass. Original label is back, despite the best efforts of school-marm religious types to protect me. 375ml.

Appearance: Pours with a 1/2 inch head that quickly falls to almost nothing. just an island of foam. Beer is a beautiful rich pink.

Smell: Wonderful deep raspberry smell with a sharp acidic tang.

Taste: Slightly sweet and fruity upfront taste. Acidic and sour follows, leaving some fuzz on your teeth and tongue. Nice lingering finish.

Mouthfeel: Above average carbonation. Average body.

Drinkability: Great and refreshing, but definitely a change from the normal. After finishing this, my tongue feels like I just ate a roll of sweet tarts.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Every once in awhile I had to remind myself that I wasn't drinking a snifter full of ruby red grapefruit juice...wow. Wow.

This Lambic poured into my snifter with an unfiltered guava color, with a quickly dissipating off white head. Let me start out by saying that the temperature this beer is consumed at directly impacts the nose and flavor ( around 55 Fahrenheit seemed to soften up the abrupt ways of this brew). Smelled of overly ripened strawberries, and raspberry cider...at some temps, that's being kind I assure you...Tasted of tart red grapefruit, a sourness that only a Belgian yeast can effectively accomplish with such an astounding puckering pronunciation. This one will make you whistle a bit. The taste score was in appreciation of what this beer is supposed to accomplish, but was a little much for me at times. I can say though, that the deeper into the 750ml bottle, the less shocked I was by the taste, and the more astute I was at picking out other subtle flavors. This beer would pair great with a huge glass of water, and a box of your favorite crackers...Seriously though, this would be well enough on it's own as an aperitif...Enjoy

Edit- After a year or two with the lambic/gueuze/wild/etc, and one incredible Stone Sour Festival later, I've come to LOVE these beers. In fairness I am posting the original ratings, because I HAVE to change the old ones now....Appearance 4.5 Smell 2.5 Taste 4.0 Mouthfeel 4.0 Drinkability 3.0

Love the Lambic...

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

I find this beer incredibly visually appealing. Pours a nice hazy rose tinted amber with an extremely modest, yet dense bubbled creamy white head that maintains a stout collar. Smells sour, musty, banana pudding (that i often get from brett) with a touch of vinegar. Very slight sweetness on the entry to the palate, then builds a massive wave of raspberry tinged sourness. This gradually subsides, though never fully, revealing bready slightly nutty undertones beneath the surface. Tremendously complex and difficult to really pin down much of anything. Enormously dry through the finish, just sucking every bit of moisture off my tongue. I suck on each sip like a jolly rancher. Delicious. Very creamy, fine bubbled, light carbonation. Feels medium bodied at the start, but finishes feathery. Drinkability when dealing with a lambic kinda does not apply as it normally would. No one in their right mind would slam these back, but I certainly do wish i had another to follow this one.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

"Naked label"
12 fl oz green bottle, corked and finished with foil.
Vintage 2004.
Served in a tulip glass.

Hazy, champagne-peach in color with plenty of floating sediment. A slight whispy sheet sits atop the tulip. No lacing given no head.

Sharp sour notes in the aroma: raspberry, cherry, grapefruit, and orange. Warming, farmhouse mustiness that cuts the tartness a bit. Fragrantly bright.

Piercing, fruity sourness that attacks nearly every tastebud down the palate. Fruity-esters of ripe green apple, raspberry, lemon, and grapefruit. Light touches of mustiness with a mild peppered spice. Slick oiliness with very minimal carbonation followed by tartness and a touch of cork in the aftertaste.

Light bodied; slick and smooth, completely unencumbered by the lack of carbonation.

Your typical offering from Cantillon: amazing! A special Belgian ale to be enjoyed slowly and repeatedly.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can Cantillon do no wrong? Can they just pee in a bottle and the beer just suddenly turns out awsome? Apparently so. Because again, this beer turns out to be among the leaders in it's style. An impressive, thin, savory pink grapefruit juice looking brew with subtle, but persistent head retention. The aromas unleash a juicy, tart scent of grapefruit, red wine, vinegar, and strong lactic acids. Mouth watering and drying at the same time. Faint flavors of pilsner malts are quickly overcome by strong, tart flavors of fruits (berries and cherries) in an almost sweetheart candy powderyness. The airy feel is followed with a sharp tartness (sourness) and a moderate astringency and bitterness. The mouthfeel is as complex as the flavor profile. Finishes with the same mouthwatering, drying, powdery, sensation that was present in the nose. The beer comes full circle on all fronts. Thanks BeakerBoy!

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle, the "naked" label, cork says bottled 2005. Poured into a champagne flute.

Active loud fizzing as it is poured and sits in the glass...foamy head arises then recedes. No lacing. Color is really beautiful...golden dark orange with dark pink highlights...the pink glows from within this brew, you keep catching pink from the corner of your eye. Uniquely gorgeous to look at.

Aromas of tangy Cantillon lambic barnyard funkiness. Hints of cherry and raspberry fruitiness..quite subtle.

Walloping puckering sourness--but in such a good way...lipsmacking, appetizing, crisp, dry, an amazing brew to be savored and contemplated. As it warms and your mouth adapts to the zingy tartness, this beer is at first all gueuze lemons, then raspberry and cherry sweetness start to hit the front or your tongue as you sip. The fruitness is again subtle, hinted at, glimpses of framboise here and there just like the hints of pink color around the edge of the glass.
Almost as good as Fou Foune, better than the sample of organic gueuze I tried. Solid and delicious offering.

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice hazy pink color with a light head that quickly settles.

Smell: Lemon, vinegar, and some sour fruits. The smell was initially off putting, but I warmed to it over the course of the beer.

Taste: Tartness followed raspberry and grape.

Mouthfeel: After you finish puckering your mouth you are left with a nice dry finish with a fresh raspberry taste.

Drinkability: After getting past the initial tartness of my first real lambic I warmed to this beer. I definitely could see finishing off a nice dinner with one of these.

Aroma: (strawberry) and rose petal. I got a light hint of gunpowder as well… very odd.

Appearance: Pale red, almost orange, gentle haze and no head

Flavor: Classic sour punch is more of a gentle slap compared to the other Cantillon beers I have tried. The main sour Lambic taste (that is soaked into the walls of this place) actually had a sweet note which I can only describe as strawberry skin.

Mouthfeel: Shockingly dry with a lasting thin coat, Cantillon classic.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

this being my first cantillon, i was surprised, shocked, delighted at every turn. the liquid is electric pink and hazy, slightly neon, with a thin lair of soft foam swirling on top.
the aroma: is it disgusting? yes, kind of, in all of its yeasty funkiness. is it pleasantly fruity? yes. is it intriguing? absolutely. sniff. sniff again.
the raspberry flavor is as natural and real as could be imagined; sour, and reminiscent of a fresh yogurt smoothy. this tastes like it could be found existing independently in nature, in rare conditions. smooth in the mouth, and pleasant down the throat. if you can make peace with the puckering tartness, this is wonderfully drinkable.
also of note: upon first glance, i assumed this would be a mouthful of sugar. not the case at all. it finishes very clean, leaving nothing but a fresh fruit aftertaste.

again, my first authentic lambic. much to learn, and i'm excited to do so...

1.52/5  rDev -63.9%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy red/amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Nose is remarkably like vomit. Starts as sour apples becomes more sour like lemon juice, dry finish; easily the least enjoyed Belgian I have had. 750ml bottle - gift from Vintage Cellars Blacksburg, Va.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Bottled in 2005. As usual with these lambics, the cork comes out silently, and the beer pours with more carbonation than you would expect. No lacing, raspberry in color, the aroma is more fruity than sour.

The taste is of tart raspberries, the brett is quite subdued I think compared to other Cantillon fruit lambics I have had. The brett is the background noise, while the fruit plays the solo. Mouthfeel is adequately carbonated, the drinkability is high, maybe due to the youth of this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

12/29/2006 $12.99 750 mL 5.00% Brewed in 2006 printed on cork.

Appearance:

Pours a lovely ruby pink color that is hazed, and shining with a peach hue when held to the light. A faint rim of pink fuzz tops this one off, but settles quickly.

Aroma:

Sharp tart and acidic, with fresh notes of ripe raspberry and loads of barnyard funk.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Round chewy mouthfeel coupled with a mouth blistering tartness and overwhelming fruit acidity. This is a definite palate cleanser. Saliva flows in uncontrolled bursts after just a sip or two of this one. Classic funk flavor is present due to the uncontrolled fermentation, but it is cut through nicely by the fresh (though unsweet) fruit flavors of the raspberries. A well crafted and highly enjoyable beer.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: An interesting color - lightly hazed nectarine skin blush-orange, with a fizzy head that barely forms.

Smell: Sour, with acetic, citric, and floral notes; orange, oroblanco, honey, and quinine come to mind. The raspberries are understated, like a subtle perfume. Mild barnyard notes rest on top of the sour base.

Taste: Bracingly sour, lemon juicy with a light essence of raspberry and hard apple cider. Dry with hardly any residual sweetness, but light malts do provide a vaguely husky backbone.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly with small bubbles, sharp and puckering, especially in the finish. It matches the flavor well, but I'm afraid I can't rate it very highly because after a while it actually becomes physically painful on the back of the throat.

Drinkability: This is good, but too sour to enjoy in large quantities, in my opinion. A 750 ml was too much, even split between two people.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Alright, not only is Cantillon Rose going to be the victim of my introduction to lambics, but also of my virginal beer review. Anyways, off we go.

Appearance: Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Almost no head, and what head there was immediately went away. Color is a beautiful pinkish amber.

Aroma: I can smell this beer as soon as I open the bottle. After pouring, I realize that this is certainly one of the most aromatic beers I have had, not necessarily for complexity, but just for strength. There is a definite fruity tartness, with a slightly musty, though not unpleasant aroma. This must ends up being about the only other thing that makes me think that this is actually a beer.

Wow. This does not taste like beer. Somewhere between wine, sparkling cider and a Warhead (but in a good way). I can't even compare this to other beers that I have had. The closest thing is wine or champagne, and I really don't know much about those. The fruity tartness arrives in your mouth with some motherfucking bells on. I faintly taste the raspberries at first, but they are like slightly unripe berries. In fact, it would probably better compare to the alcoholic version of some really, really good grapefruit juice, with berries mixed in. I cannot taste the alcohol, but at only 5% ABV, I wasn't really expecting to.

Mouthfeel is sort of like a dry wine, same bitterness, but somehow smoother.

Drinkability/Overall: I am very intrigued. This is not something that I would drink everyday (at least not now) but I will certainly try some more lambics in the future, especilly some unblended ones to see what a more pure style is like. But even if I came to truly love this beer, i couldn't see myself drinking more than 2 (maybe 3) a night.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 2005. Consumed November 2006.

Pours a very interesting shade of red; almost a tomato red, with orange hues casting throughout the glass.

Smells like red wine, but more subdued. Sulfur and vinegar smells are prevalent, with some lovely fruit aroma lurking underneath. From cherry to apple to raspberry the beer shifts, providing an amazing experience from the aroma alone. Head and lacing were very minimal at first, but increased at the beer warmed and I poured my second and third glasses. The mouthfeel was a bit watery.

This is my first bottle of Cantillon, and despite the knowledge I had going in, I was not at all prepared. First taste is extremely puckering. This is one tart and sour beer. Once you get past the initial shock, you can start to appreciate everything that makes a lambic what it is. The flavor is very raw...much like a Saison in that regard. The musty flavors are present, but relatively muted overall. The fruit flavors aren't strong, but they are still quite noticable; they compliment the character of the beer quite well. The grapes give a dramatic sense of dryness, but at the same time I wouldn't really call this a dry beer.

For better or worse, this was an eye-opening experience, much like my very first craft beer and my very first Belgian. This is the sort of beer that expands your mind as to what beer can be, and what beer can do to you. This bottle was certainly a bit green and certainly not the best I'll ever have, but I will always remember it as it was my first true lambic.

2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

I've had other fraboise before, but this one didn't do much for me. It seemed to taste like very little to me, and I felt that it would have benefited from signficantly more fruit character.

The color is a cloudy brown. If you take Bud Light, throw in a handful of skittles, and wait; you'll get the same color (don't ask me how I know this, but trust me; it is not a recent experience). Not attractive. Not at all red like other framboise I've tried.

This beer smells slightly sweet, and smells a lot like champagne.

The taste is sour on the tip of my tongue, but otherwise not very flavorful. I expected more fruitiness from a framboise.

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml corked and capped with a foil topper. After a struggle with the cork I poured this into a gobblet. It forms a pink head that falls to zero. Carbonation is fine and aggressive. Pink/Red body.

Puckered me right up the pole on my first drink wheeeew boy. Don't judge it on that though as like other lambics and guezes you tend to get used to it and the beer grows on ya as it warms.

This is not ultra funky but rather balanced in that the barnyard horseblanket effect is mellow and welcomed. Brewed in February of 2005 this has almost two years under its belt and my first instinct tells me this could use two more. Quite tart and full of cranberry goodness. The body is light and crisp. It finishes up dry and with some earthy tone to it. Not the best I've had from Cantillon but still tasty.

Notes: This is a tart one and without any challenger in the picture it was a bit much. The body is rather thin and overall a bit dissapointing. Good, not great.

After having the Saint Lamvinus I know that Cantillon was a very special brewery and I had very high expectations comming in to this beer. And they were met on all levels. If you are not a fan of sour candies, tart citrus flavors etc. then this might not be the beer for you. But if you do enjoy the above mentioned things, then you might get a kick out of this one. The beer poured very smoothe and created a light amber color with hints of pink and a nice pinkish foamy head around the top. A very unique and beautiful pour. The smell was nice and musty with hints of hay, citrus and a dryness that can only be described as gueuze-like. The flavror was outstanding with a very good sour punch in the front, light malt sweetness in the middle and tart raspberries in the finnish. The perfect sour flavor lingers in your mouth and there is no other way to describe it other than perfection. Another winner from Cantillon!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

After hearing a few folks rave about this – and being a bit put off by the high price tag – I finally received a bottle of this lambic for my birthday.

Quite the interesting label, and slightly different from the one pictured here: seems the lady on this particular bottle has lost her dress, which made for quite a few interesting comments from those who saw the bottle in the fridge;)

The color is a very lovely, very cloudy reddish with golden orange undertones. The color reminds me ever so slightly of freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, as does the aroma. The reviewer who mentioned the presence of “barnyard funk” nailed it.

Big, sour taste, again more like grapefruit than raspberry, but then again, this is more like champagne than beer. Mouthfeel is smooth at first, with a sparkling dry finish.

I’m glad for the opportunity to taste and review this lambic, though I can honestly say its not one I’d likely try again. Still, for what it is, and compared to others I’ve sampled of this style, it’s quite a beauty.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle bought from www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk... bottled in 2003 according to the cork...

Poured a pale coppery orange colour with the slightest tinge of pink... Slightly off white head poured quite foamy but disappeared instantly... fair amount of carbonation bubbles to the surface... no lacing at all..

Aroma - Strong tart fruits (very light raspberries, some cherries, lemons, light apples), champagne notes, some light almond hints, strong lambic mustiness, wet hay notes, grassy, dusty notes, very earthy, no malts or hops that i could make out, peppery...

Taste – Very tart fruits (strong lemon notes, light raspberries and cherries, grapefruits), some vinegary notes, strong lambic brett notes, light nutty hints, farmhouse cider traces.... the faintest sweetness emerges after a few sips...

Feel - Very sharp and dry - mouth puckeringly so... pretty refreshing but probably couldn't drink more than one in a sitting...

Overall - An excellent lambic... probably not for everyone but definitely recommended...

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly pink tinged brown in color. Eseentially flat in appearance. Just a tad murky but still fairly clear. Nose was fairly mild and I only picked up slight traces of the sourness.

I was not prepared for the first sip it was so sour. After I adjusted I realized it was actually pretty decent. It improved more as the beer caught up to room temperature too. Raspberries bring a nice, slight sweetness that provides a bit of a balance to all the sourness. Light mouthfeel that really brought out this beer's puckering ability.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Cork indicates 2003 bottle.

Pours a murky peach amber topped with a light bubbly cap that instantly deflates to nothing, not so much as a collar.

Pungent aromas rise to the nose without an effort. Earthy musty pungent and floral scents of a lilac and lemon juice dominate the nose.

First swigs: Tart sour superlative with a touch of chery in with the lemon juice. Crisp pucker with an acidic feel that deceptively coats the tongue.

Thin feel with tight crisp carbonation. Linger of sizzly tart lemonade.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon