Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Reviews: 739 | Ratings: 2,237
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can Cantillon do no wrong? Can they just pee in a bottle and the beer just suddenly turns out awsome? Apparently so. Because again, this beer turns out to be among the leaders in it's style. An impressive, thin, savory pink grapefruit juice looking brew with subtle, but persistent head retention. The aromas unleash a juicy, tart scent of grapefruit, red wine, vinegar, and strong lactic acids. Mouth watering and drying at the same time. Faint flavors of pilsner malts are quickly overcome by strong, tart flavors of fruits (berries and cherries) in an almost sweetheart candy powderyness. The airy feel is followed with a sharp tartness (sourness) and a moderate astringency and bitterness. The mouthfeel is as complex as the flavor profile. Finishes with the same mouthwatering, drying, powdery, sensation that was present in the nose. The beer comes full circle on all fronts. Thanks BeakerBoy!

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle, the "naked" label, cork says bottled 2005. Poured into a champagne flute.

Active loud fizzing as it is poured and sits in the glass...foamy head arises then recedes. No lacing. Color is really beautiful...golden dark orange with dark pink highlights...the pink glows from within this brew, you keep catching pink from the corner of your eye. Uniquely gorgeous to look at.

Aromas of tangy Cantillon lambic barnyard funkiness. Hints of cherry and raspberry fruitiness..quite subtle.

Walloping puckering sourness--but in such a good way...lipsmacking, appetizing, crisp, dry, an amazing brew to be savored and contemplated. As it warms and your mouth adapts to the zingy tartness, this beer is at first all gueuze lemons, then raspberry and cherry sweetness start to hit the front or your tongue as you sip. The fruitness is again subtle, hinted at, glimpses of framboise here and there just like the hints of pink color around the edge of the glass.
Almost as good as Fou Foune, better than the sample of organic gueuze I tried. Solid and delicious offering.

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice hazy pink color with a light head that quickly settles.

Smell: Lemon, vinegar, and some sour fruits. The smell was initially off putting, but I warmed to it over the course of the beer.

Taste: Tartness followed raspberry and grape.

Mouthfeel: After you finish puckering your mouth you are left with a nice dry finish with a fresh raspberry taste.

Drinkability: After getting past the initial tartness of my first real lambic I warmed to this beer. I definitely could see finishing off a nice dinner with one of these.

Aroma: (strawberry) and rose petal. I got a light hint of gunpowder as well… very odd.

Appearance: Pale red, almost orange, gentle haze and no head

Flavor: Classic sour punch is more of a gentle slap compared to the other Cantillon beers I have tried. The main sour Lambic taste (that is soaked into the walls of this place) actually had a sweet note which I can only describe as strawberry skin.

Mouthfeel: Shockingly dry with a lasting thin coat, Cantillon classic.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

this being my first cantillon, i was surprised, shocked, delighted at every turn. the liquid is electric pink and hazy, slightly neon, with a thin lair of soft foam swirling on top.
the aroma: is it disgusting? yes, kind of, in all of its yeasty funkiness. is it pleasantly fruity? yes. is it intriguing? absolutely. sniff. sniff again.
the raspberry flavor is as natural and real as could be imagined; sour, and reminiscent of a fresh yogurt smoothy. this tastes like it could be found existing independently in nature, in rare conditions. smooth in the mouth, and pleasant down the throat. if you can make peace with the puckering tartness, this is wonderfully drinkable.
also of note: upon first glance, i assumed this would be a mouthful of sugar. not the case at all. it finishes very clean, leaving nothing but a fresh fruit aftertaste.

again, my first authentic lambic. much to learn, and i'm excited to do so...

1.52/5  rDev -63.9%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy red/amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Nose is remarkably like vomit. Starts as sour apples becomes more sour like lemon juice, dry finish; easily the least enjoyed Belgian I have had. 750ml bottle - gift from Vintage Cellars Blacksburg, Va.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Bottled in 2005. As usual with these lambics, the cork comes out silently, and the beer pours with more carbonation than you would expect. No lacing, raspberry in color, the aroma is more fruity than sour.

The taste is of tart raspberries, the brett is quite subdued I think compared to other Cantillon fruit lambics I have had. The brett is the background noise, while the fruit plays the solo. Mouthfeel is adequately carbonated, the drinkability is high, maybe due to the youth of this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

12/29/2006 $12.99 750 mL 5.00% Brewed in 2006 printed on cork.

Appearance:

Pours a lovely ruby pink color that is hazed, and shining with a peach hue when held to the light. A faint rim of pink fuzz tops this one off, but settles quickly.

Aroma:

Sharp tart and acidic, with fresh notes of ripe raspberry and loads of barnyard funk.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Round chewy mouthfeel coupled with a mouth blistering tartness and overwhelming fruit acidity. This is a definite palate cleanser. Saliva flows in uncontrolled bursts after just a sip or two of this one. Classic funk flavor is present due to the uncontrolled fermentation, but it is cut through nicely by the fresh (though unsweet) fruit flavors of the raspberries. A well crafted and highly enjoyable beer.

3.46/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: An interesting color - lightly hazed nectarine skin blush-orange, with a fizzy head that barely forms.

Smell: Sour, with acetic, citric, and floral notes; orange, oroblanco, honey, and quinine come to mind. The raspberries are understated, like a subtle perfume. Mild barnyard notes rest on top of the sour base.

Taste: Bracingly sour, lemon juicy with a light essence of raspberry and hard apple cider. Dry with hardly any residual sweetness, but light malts do provide a vaguely husky backbone.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly with small bubbles, sharp and puckering, especially in the finish. It matches the flavor well, but I'm afraid I can't rate it very highly because after a while it actually becomes physically painful on the back of the throat.

Drinkability: This is good, but too sour to enjoy in large quantities, in my opinion. A 750 ml was too much, even split between two people.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Alright, not only is Cantillon Rose going to be the victim of my introduction to lambics, but also of my virginal beer review. Anyways, off we go.

Appearance: Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Almost no head, and what head there was immediately went away. Color is a beautiful pinkish amber.

Aroma: I can smell this beer as soon as I open the bottle. After pouring, I realize that this is certainly one of the most aromatic beers I have had, not necessarily for complexity, but just for strength. There is a definite fruity tartness, with a slightly musty, though not unpleasant aroma. This must ends up being about the only other thing that makes me think that this is actually a beer.

Wow. This does not taste like beer. Somewhere between wine, sparkling cider and a Warhead (but in a good way). I can't even compare this to other beers that I have had. The closest thing is wine or champagne, and I really don't know much about those. The fruity tartness arrives in your mouth with some motherfucking bells on. I faintly taste the raspberries at first, but they are like slightly unripe berries. In fact, it would probably better compare to the alcoholic version of some really, really good grapefruit juice, with berries mixed in. I cannot taste the alcohol, but at only 5% ABV, I wasn't really expecting to.

Mouthfeel is sort of like a dry wine, same bitterness, but somehow smoother.

Drinkability/Overall: I am very intrigued. This is not something that I would drink everyday (at least not now) but I will certainly try some more lambics in the future, especilly some unblended ones to see what a more pure style is like. But even if I came to truly love this beer, i couldn't see myself drinking more than 2 (maybe 3) a night.

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottled 2005. Consumed November 2006.

Pours a very interesting shade of red; almost a tomato red, with orange hues casting throughout the glass.

Smells like red wine, but more subdued. Sulfur and vinegar smells are prevalent, with some lovely fruit aroma lurking underneath. From cherry to apple to raspberry the beer shifts, providing an amazing experience from the aroma alone. Head and lacing were very minimal at first, but increased at the beer warmed and I poured my second and third glasses. The mouthfeel was a bit watery.

This is my first bottle of Cantillon, and despite the knowledge I had going in, I was not at all prepared. First taste is extremely puckering. This is one tart and sour beer. Once you get past the initial shock, you can start to appreciate everything that makes a lambic what it is. The flavor is very raw...much like a Saison in that regard. The musty flavors are present, but relatively muted overall. The fruit flavors aren't strong, but they are still quite noticable; they compliment the character of the beer quite well. The grapes give a dramatic sense of dryness, but at the same time I wouldn't really call this a dry beer.

For better or worse, this was an eye-opening experience, much like my very first craft beer and my very first Belgian. This is the sort of beer that expands your mind as to what beer can be, and what beer can do to you. This bottle was certainly a bit green and certainly not the best I'll ever have, but I will always remember it as it was my first true lambic.

2.53/5  rDev -39.9%

I've had other fraboise before, but this one didn't do much for me. It seemed to taste like very little to me, and I felt that it would have benefited from signficantly more fruit character.

The color is a cloudy brown. If you take Bud Light, throw in a handful of skittles, and wait; you'll get the same color (don't ask me how I know this, but trust me; it is not a recent experience). Not attractive. Not at all red like other framboise I've tried.

This beer smells slightly sweet, and smells a lot like champagne.

The taste is sour on the tip of my tongue, but otherwise not very flavorful. I expected more fruitiness from a framboise.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

Poured out of the bottle into a wine glass a pinkish almost grapefruity colored red with a nice white head with pink highlights.
The nose is filled with grassy hay, sour vinegar, white wine, and a touch of sweet fruit.
Big tartness up front, white vinegar, sour grape and there are some barnyardy flavors that I recognize that are similiar to a traditional saisons with the tail end of this beer consisting of some nice fruit flavors, mainly rasberry.
Nice and light on the palate, nice carbonation that helps cut through appropirate food pairings.
Considering that this is a very tart beer, its complex, light, and pretty easy to drink considering the style. I paired my glass with a mixed green salad with walnuts, goat cheese, apples, and a rasberry vinegarette. This is a very nice lambic I will certainly be visiting again.

3.74/5  rDev -11.2%

750ml corked and capped with a foil topper. After a struggle with the cork I poured this into a gobblet. It forms a pink head that falls to zero. Carbonation is fine and aggressive. Pink/Red body.

Puckered me right up the pole on my first drink wheeeew boy. Don't judge it on that though as like other lambics and guezes you tend to get used to it and the beer grows on ya as it warms.

This is not ultra funky but rather balanced in that the barnyard horseblanket effect is mellow and welcomed. Brewed in February of 2005 this has almost two years under its belt and my first instinct tells me this could use two more. Quite tart and full of cranberry goodness. The body is light and crisp. It finishes up dry and with some earthy tone to it. Not the best I've had from Cantillon but still tasty.

Notes: This is a tart one and without any challenger in the picture it was a bit much. The body is rather thin and overall a bit dissapointing. Good, not great.

After having the Saint Lamvinus I know that Cantillon was a very special brewery and I had very high expectations comming in to this beer. And they were met on all levels. If you are not a fan of sour candies, tart citrus flavors etc. then this might not be the beer for you. But if you do enjoy the above mentioned things, then you might get a kick out of this one. The beer poured very smoothe and created a light amber color with hints of pink and a nice pinkish foamy head around the top. A very unique and beautiful pour. The smell was nice and musty with hints of hay, citrus and a dryness that can only be described as gueuze-like. The flavror was outstanding with a very good sour punch in the front, light malt sweetness in the middle and tart raspberries in the finnish. The perfect sour flavor lingers in your mouth and there is no other way to describe it other than perfection. Another winner from Cantillon!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

After hearing a few folks rave about this – and being a bit put off by the high price tag – I finally received a bottle of this lambic for my birthday.

Quite the interesting label, and slightly different from the one pictured here: seems the lady on this particular bottle has lost her dress, which made for quite a few interesting comments from those who saw the bottle in the fridge;)

The color is a very lovely, very cloudy reddish with golden orange undertones. The color reminds me ever so slightly of freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, as does the aroma. The reviewer who mentioned the presence of “barnyard funk” nailed it.

Big, sour taste, again more like grapefruit than raspberry, but then again, this is more like champagne than beer. Mouthfeel is smooth at first, with a sparkling dry finish.

I’m glad for the opportunity to taste and review this lambic, though I can honestly say its not one I’d likely try again. Still, for what it is, and compared to others I’ve sampled of this style, it’s quite a beauty.

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle bought from www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk... bottled in 2003 according to the cork...

Poured a pale coppery orange colour with the slightest tinge of pink... Slightly off white head poured quite foamy but disappeared instantly... fair amount of carbonation bubbles to the surface... no lacing at all..

Aroma - Strong tart fruits (very light raspberries, some cherries, lemons, light apples), champagne notes, some light almond hints, strong lambic mustiness, wet hay notes, grassy, dusty notes, very earthy, no malts or hops that i could make out, peppery...

Taste – Very tart fruits (strong lemon notes, light raspberries and cherries, grapefruits), some vinegary notes, strong lambic brett notes, light nutty hints, farmhouse cider traces.... the faintest sweetness emerges after a few sips...

Feel - Very sharp and dry - mouth puckeringly so... pretty refreshing but probably couldn't drink more than one in a sitting...

Overall - An excellent lambic... probably not for everyone but definitely recommended...

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly pink tinged brown in color. Eseentially flat in appearance. Just a tad murky but still fairly clear. Nose was fairly mild and I only picked up slight traces of the sourness.

I was not prepared for the first sip it was so sour. After I adjusted I realized it was actually pretty decent. It improved more as the beer caught up to room temperature too. Raspberries bring a nice, slight sweetness that provides a bit of a balance to all the sourness. Light mouthfeel that really brought out this beer's puckering ability.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Cork indicates 2003 bottle.

Pours a murky peach amber topped with a light bubbly cap that instantly deflates to nothing, not so much as a collar.

Pungent aromas rise to the nose without an effort. Earthy musty pungent and floral scents of a lilac and lemon juice dominate the nose.

First swigs: Tart sour superlative with a touch of chery in with the lemon juice. Crisp pucker with an acidic feel that deceptively coats the tongue.

Thin feel with tight crisp carbonation. Linger of sizzly tart lemonade.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

The beer poured into the chalice clear rose with a white and effervescent head which lasted but an instant to flash away.

The aroma was fruity with a lambic tartness that contained a grapeskin and seed character. An oak presence was notable with a light fruit character that summonded thoughts of cherries and raspberries.

The flavor was tart with a lightly bready flavor. The tartness was not intense but did contain more of the grapeskin and seed character. In the middle of the flavor the fruit was apparent, but still somewhere between cherries and raspberries. As the beer contacted the palate it was tart, then fruit, followed closely by a drying and grape character.

The finish was dry with a lightly tart fruity character into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation was fairly high. A nice lambic, not too tart, not too fruity.

12 ounce bottle, corked and capped.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a capped and corked bottle. Love the artwork on all of Cantillon's beers, espically this one. The beer pours a hazy pink color with a three finger pinkish white head that settles to a film as the beer sits. The smell is dominated by the usual lambic barnyard funk smell with a hint of rasberries. The taste is great. The acidity puckers up the mouth and allows the rasberry taste to set in as the mouth tightens up around the tongue. Great mouth with a good carbination. One of the shinning examples of a true lambic.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

served at pizza paradiso in gtown

mmmm...sour. my first cantillon and i'm in love, though i must say that i might not have been able to drink more than one of these consecutively

it's fizzy and pink—though with amber tendencies (dear god, please do not taste like lindeman's framboise). the raspberry aroma is big and accompanied by some sourness. i can almost taste the seeds

oh man this shit is sour. holy moly...the aroma did not suffficiently prepare me. so sour. frickin' awesome. it's super dry and the raspberry doesn't actually offer much flavor (at least not nearly as much as it did aroma)

it's not a complex brew, but i doubt that's part of the plan. damn tasty

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
Bottled in 2005
12 oz green bottle with cork and tin foil wrapping
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

Pours a light pink with a cloudy backdrop. A thin lacing appears around the top.

Fruity nose with accents of rasberries, cherries and a touch of lemon. Whiffs of an earthy funk underneath it all.

Sour, acidic and ripe up front with the ultimate rasberry tartness. Earthy, raw and funky flavors with a hint of oak and wood. Finishes extremely dry on the palate with a touch of vinegar. The Rose de Gambrinus strikes the perfect chord of any lambic I've tried yet.

There is so much depth and character in this beer that after each sip, I'm eager to go back in for another sample. Pure quality, exceptionally drinkable and strongly recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle Inspection: Opened for me by Jean Van Roy himself at the brewery after I presented him with a bottle of Shakespeare Stout to show appreciation for his work. It had no label.

Aroma: Light vinegar, sour with a tart fruit (strawberry) and rose petal. I got a light hint of gunpowder as well… very odd.

Appearance: Pale red, almost orange, gentle haze and no head

Mouthfeel: Shockingly dry with a lasting thin coat, Cantillon classic.

Overall Impression: Tart, citric, dry, but refreshing! I guess you don’t get any fresher, and I’m thinking that was the major differences in this bottle and experience for me. I’ll have to try a bottle here in the states and compare.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a bright, glowing, bubbly pinkish peach color, slightly hazed, with a dying white head. Beautiful color.

Faint aroma, but magnificent. Subtly sweet, fresh picked raspberries... uncanny.

This beer begins with a tingle on the front of the tongue; brisk carbonation. This gives way to a brief flash of tart, sweet raspberry flavor, which is quickly overwhelmed by intensely sour vinegar flavor. Puckeringly dry. A woodiness lingers on the palate and gradually fades away. Lively light body. Somehow, even though I found the degree of sourness rather unpleasant, this beer beckoned for me to drink more.

I found this beer extremely interesting, but difficult to handle. I guess I'm not ready. Also, I'm not sure if this beer was in the best shape, since it was a $6.99 closeout from a mostly malt-liquor type of store.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon