Cantillon Vigneronne | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-23-2002

Reviews: 306 | Ratings: 1,252
4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to the Beer Guy at McKean and Charles in Waldoboro for getting this (and then saving it a few weks until I could get up there). This was a 750ml bottle, bottled 30Oct06, and was served in a tulip glass. Nice orange color with a tiny head that dissipates quickly. Very still. It had the aroma of peaches. The taste was sour fruit, and was very acidic. Quite a dry beer, and quite enjoyable. Share it with a friend and pucker up.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004. Pours a glowing orange tinted yellow. Really beautiful, almost ethereal. Head fizzes and dissipates. Smell is funk, must, tartness. Taste is highly acidic with ripe tartness and everything else that went with the smell. Fairly dry body until the finish where some sweet sugar comes in and balances it out. Great carbonation on this one. Real light and easy to go. Would have enjoyed this more if I split it with someone else because the acidity is so high.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

I am sampling a bottle with Stopper who is kind enough to share one with me. The beer is at room temp and I pour into a pint glass.
Pours cloudy and opaque gold color like an unfiltered apple cider. A fizzy bleached white head foams up 1 cm and fades to an edge layer. Aroma is some bready yeast, lactic tartness, general funk and must and some lite fruitiness. First sip reveals a lite body with smooth texture and very fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is grainy and yeasty up front and is quickly dominated by tart fruit and alctic sourness. VERY funky and drinkable but I get some acid reflux as we finish the 750. Definitely not an everybody beer, but I enjoyed the experience. just warn folks that this is a puckering experience.

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

750 ml bottle picked up from HiTime wine in Costa Mesa, CA. in mid 2006 (?). Price info not recorded.

Pours a bright spritzy, somewhat hazy yellow into my Cantillon tumbler, with lots of small bubbles rising to the surface. A small head is there at first pour, but it quickly recedes into memory.

Aroma is that distinctive Cantillon lambic, sharp, sour, and good for cleaning sinuses. Citric acid (not citrus fruit) and perhaps a bit of a very dry white wine (but very gentle).

Flavor is also very familiar and lambic-like. Sharp hard edges, sour taste buds working overtime. Are there really grapes in here? I can't taste them. But having said that, this is a very refreshing warm Saturday afternoon drinker.

I like it for those moments when only sour will do.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

02/04/07- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both capped and corked. Dating is listed on cork...I believe this one was an '04. Poured into my Lindemans flute.

Appearance- Peach hazed pour. About as flat as flat can be. Very light lace spotting. Cork came out without a sound.

Smell- Funk and more funk. Hay, urine, rotted fruit....oh yeah! Some sour acidic fruit notes as well.

Taste- I've had this one once before on tap at the Toronado. It was my first lambic style ever. I had to chase every sip with a sip of water. It was that sour. This time around it wasn't that bad. It was pretty sour, but easliy taken down. Peachy-orange notes mixed with sour muscat grapes make a good combo.

Mouthfeel- Fairly dry mouthfeel with no carbonation.

Drinkability- Probably my favorite of the line to date. Seemed the easiest to suck down without burning a hole in my stomach lining. Muscat grapes work well in lambics apparently.

4.09/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: hazy orange with some reddish tones. A wispy head and no lacing develops during the session. Many carbonation bubbles stick to the glass.

Smell: sour grapes are strong on the nose.

Taste: huge sour grape flavor with yeast, honey, and mild alcohol tones. Very dry. The sourness is bold but the tastebuds get accustomed to it quickly.

Mouthfeel: dry and smooth throughout. Aftertaste is bold but short, as the sourness seems to assault the tastebuds into submission. Medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: definitely down a few notches as the sourness tires the the tongue by the end of the glass. But the flavors are interesting and unique. Worth giving this a try if you like extremes.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

As you can see from the previous two reviews, I brought a bottle of Cantillon Vigneronne to the home of akorsak who was generous enough to have johnnym2002 and I over for a tasting. I am now back at my office with my note book but I have what was left of the 750 in a glass right now and I am delighted. These guys were a bit taken a back by the harshness of this beer (and it is harsh) but I enjoyed the abuse. Is it a sick fetish? I couldn't say but knock me down and holler uncle, this beer will bitch slap you from one side and when you turn a cheek it'll smack the other.

Appearance: It pours a murky orange fuzzy naval color with a quickly fading head and dismissible (almost non-existent) lacing.

Smell: Acidic tart sour funky take your pick they apply. It made me think of applecider vinegar and powerful green grape-skin scent.

Taste: My man Adam described it as a "Wall of Sourness." He is absolutely correct. If you can get past the wall then you'll discover a world of complexity here that more than just harshness. It has a grapeskin vinegar start, muscat grapes, but some specs of sweetness are detectable between all the sour and yeast funk. A lemon and apple character I sense. As you are about to swallow the beer forces a lipsmacking pucker so forceful it may hurt your jaw. So be careful. I love it. The aftertaste is just as intense. Like sucking on the lemon after a shot of tequila in tense. Again I say, I love it. =)

Mouthfeel: Wow is this ever tart and acidic and dry. The dryness has no end. It literally linger until you wash it down with something else. I am still trying to lick my lips and add some moisture back to them. Darn ... now I took another sip. Clearly they will be numb until I'm done.

Drinkability: I can not give this better than good even though I enjoyed it greatly, because it is simply too intense. I will certainly have it again. I was ecstatic to try it again (as I only had a small sample previously) but still I was pleased to share it with some friends. Thanks John and Adam for experiencing this beer with me.

Cheers!
Matt

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle, split with akorsak and Phatz.

A - Poured a cloudy pear color with a small head that left a good lacing around the glass the whole way down.

S - Difficult to put a finger on it, but without making it sound putrid, smells almost stale on a powerful grape backbone.

T - Tartness is almost overwhelming...be warned in advance. I can say that for the style, the mixture of sour grapes and acidic citrus/spice works very well. It's not quite my style of choice by any means, but the sourness is appropriate for the lambic.

M - Medium-to-light body that remained bubbly with a crisp finish.

D - Again, it's not my forte, so it's hard for me to be completely unbiased...haven't had many from this style, but it definitely fits. It seems like much more of an acquired taste than I am used to.

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

A bottle split with JohnnyM2002 and Phatz.

A: The ale is a slightly hazy goldenrod color with a thick head that quickly dissolves to a white ring around the glass.

S: The aroma is thick with brettanomyces tartness. There is also a green grape sourness mixed in.

T: The flavor is a continuation of the nose. The ale is sour, tart, puckering. Very intense, it combines some green grape tartness, sweet and fresh but very tangy, with a brett-infused harshness. Be warned, your mouth will never be the same.

M: The mouthfeel is tart, green grapes and acidic dryness. It does not let up at all.

D: The drinkability is limited by my general dislike for the style. It packs a punch and makes you regret/anticipate each sip.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

750ml bottle purchased from Merchant's in Dearborn.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange in my snifter. There is a minimal white head that hangs around for the party.

Smell: Hole-hearted barnyard, barrel-aged funk. Little bit of spices and tropical fruits. I could smell this for hours. It lets you know that you are in for something special. Mouthpuckering sourness awaits....

Taste: Yep...Damn this is tart and funky. Taste follows the aroma. Lots of sourness upfront followed by slight grape skin dryness. Nice dry and tart finish. Simply amazing.

Mouthfeel: This coats the mouth with puckering sourness. It's like sucking on 20 sour patch kids at once. Nice...

Drinkability: For a true Lambic, this is one of the most drinkable. I could easily down a 750 of this. Definitely makes you want more and more.

This is my favorite of the Cantillon offerings I've had so far. Another excellent lambic out of this wonderful brewery. I am becoming more and more amazed with every Cantillon I have. This is another one to be savored. If you like your beers sour, this one is for you. Go in with an open mind, and lets you senses get abused. Worth every penny of the $14.99.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Served in a flute glass. Pours a cloudy pale yellow-orange color with a barely there beige filmly head. Highly carbonated. Tight bubbles throughout drinking.

Smells strong of wild yeast, grapefruit, mustly grapes, and a vague lemon smell. Just plain smells sour, in a good way.

Crisp and refreshing taste. Tart grapefruit initially with a very brief earthy, winey-grape sweetness that finishes with a pleasant dry yeasty tartness and sourness. The flavors transition quite well.

Light bodied, perfectly carbonated. Slightly tingly on the mouthfeel, but I think it adds to the experience. Very crisp finish; you can't wait to get more.

Easy to drink, but I think 1 or 2 is the limit here. This is a beer to savour and enjoy all the fruity sour goodness. If you're looking for a chugging beer, this is not it.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer was served in a flute glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy light peach coloration. The head was a thin biege ring around the glass. Tight bubbling carbonation rises to the top of the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with funky musty bret yeastyness. The beer has great fruity esters floating around the smell. I think I catch a suggestion of sweet muscatal grapes. The beer has a lemony cider sort of smell.

Taste: This beer is very sharp and crisply acidic. Needless to say the pucker factor is very high. This beer has a lead in with a suggestion of muscatal grapes. The beer then proceeds to go sour. The sourness grows from a lemony sour to the expected bret sourness. The beer has a very earthy finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The beer is lightly carbonated. The beer is very tart and acidic. Both the tartness and the acidity help create an oddly refreshing beer drinking experience. This beer is not for every beer drinker. If you dont like sour beers look else where.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Cantillon Vigneronne
750 ML green corked bottle with tin foil wrap
2001 bottle
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

Pours a cloudy orange and mustard yellow blend. Thin white lace for a head that is concentrated with mini carbonation bubbles.

Funky nose with whiffs of white wine, apple cider vinegar and baked bread.

Sour twang with a freshly sliced lemon citrus punch and a dash of black pepper. The ultimate cross of lemon and lime tartness with a funky Lambic presence. So tart and sour that the tastebuds scream in fear. I have to emphasize the striking vinegar snap on the palate. Salt and vinegar potato chip blast with a citrus fruit backdrop.

The mouthfeel is mighty intense and provocative on the palate. I find myself sipping this beer quickly; more and more interested at finding out what is going on here.

Enjoyable, unique, authentic and mysterious.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer departs an unfortunately corked bottle (pour horizontal storage?) into my wine glass. Aromas and initial flavors hint that it's still in fine shape (besides it's too sour to show any infections or other flaws). Super cloudy, straw yellow/orange, bubbly and a small head. I've come to learn the aroma of a Cantillon is just amazing, this one displaying some solvent, hay, sourness, and a touch of fruit, though I can't decide what. The flavor hits you as intense sourness, a bit of the wheat is detected. And, as their website notes that use a small amount of aged hops, so they go unoticed. As I hit my next glass of it, the grapes come into play and it's clear this is very much a sparkling wine like experience. Went well with a Frenchie leek and mushroom quiche. Can't wait to try the "rare" St. Lamvinus.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

S - 750 ml bottle, label with muscat grapes and the star of david on the front. very attractive and somewhat lavish looking.

A - Pours a somewhat golden and hazy color with a light frothy head that diminshes into a nice ring that hugs the point between glass and surface edge of the beer. decent lacing that is really quite sticky and coats itself quite nicely against the side of the glass when tilted

S - Fruit esters purge to the surface with a somewhat sour pungent accompaniement that also tingles the nostrils. makes my mouth water a bit.

T - Very similar to a flanders red, only much less tongue twisting it is. a decent amount of fruit hits the palette, immediately follwed by the sourness of the mixed lambic which makes for a nice little combination of flavors, definitely meant to be drunk slowly. A good bit of tannins also help through with this beer.

M - It lands on the palette quite smoothly at the beginning but then the intense sour hits you and immediately cuts through the surface and leaves your tongue feeling a bit dry and ready for another sip.

D - Not that easy to stomach. I would recommend sharing a 750 ml bottle with at least two other friends because though it is a good brew, it is just so sour that it really takes it toll with one or two glasses.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

I purchased this a few nights ago at Downtown Wine and Spirits. Vigneronne came in a corked and capped green 750 mL bottle. The label says "Blended Lambic Beer Brewed With Italian Muscat Grapes". I let this warm to around 45ºF and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. It was consumed over the course of an hour and a half, and by the end the beer had reached ambient temperature (~70º F). The artwork on most of Cantillon's labels is very nice; this bottle is no exception.

Appearance: Pours an absolutely brilliant hazy golden color, with a wispy head that thins to a tight white ring. The carbonation seems to be somewhat higher than the other Cantillon beers that I've tried.

Smell: This beer has the smell that I've come to expect from Cantillon lambics. There is an intense sour aroma, with a funky earthy barnyard aroma that emerges upon swirling. There are also light fruity aromas, but these are masked by the other aromas.

Taste: I could pick out some very lightly sweet fruity flavors that could be grapes. The sourness begins lightly in the center and grows in intensity through the finish where it mingles with earthy hay-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation is more evident than in other Cantillon beers. There's a slick oiliness and a very dry finish.

Drinkability: The intense sourness means that this is a beer for sipping.

Overall: There's a very nice interplay between fruit, sourness and funk in this beer. Lambics are fast becoming one of my favorite styles.

3.61/5  rDev -15.7%

A very minor head, but good for this style. Slightly hazed. Strawlike color, almost like pear juice.

Smells of lactic acid, citrus, slightly oakey.

Taste tickles the nose. Lots of massive lambic flavors with a touch of sweeness towards the end from the grapes. Overall dry, slightly cloying. Not as much muscat as I was hoping.

Mouthfull is flat and muted, not much of a hint from the carbonation. I like it for this style though.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

I had this a few weeks ago at the Linwood Grill in Boston. It was only 12 dollars for a big bottle. I couldnt believe it. This review is from notes I wrote later that night.

It pours a hazed straw color with a long lasting frothy head. An extensive network of lace trails and ridges drape the glass. The aroma is pure unadulterated lambic funk. Ive never had a lambic with such a 'banyardy' nose, complete with wet horse hair and uric acid. The taste is equally funky with all the same farm characteristics. An intense sourness builds from the beginning and leads to a Death Valley dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium with mellow carbonation.

This is a stellar beer. While I couldnt detect the Muscat grapes, the extra funk more than made up for it. Try this beer if you like Cantillon.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Rather clear, a bright burnished gold color. A small puff of white foam fizzes away like soda, leaving only a thin collar covering the beer, which quickly dies away. Funky, funky aroma. Sour, with a grapey tartness. Moldy, basement funkiness nearly gives the effect of mint. Very strange, but that's the scent that lingers in my nose. A bit cheesy, but mostly a winey grape tartness. Puckering sourness starts things off, making my eyes water a bit. I haven't had Cantillon in a while! The sourness makes my lips tingle a bit. Moldy, farmy funk reminds me of wet hay and stilton cheese, giving in to a slight medicinal sharpness and strong, grapey sourness busting through the finish. Distinct crabapple, with a citrusy hue. A slight bit of alcohol, maybe. Definitely a lingering brettanomyces character. Yeee-owch! Fairly light bodied, with sparkling, champagne-like carbonation. Very dry on the palate all the way through, finishing almost papery. Another winner from this antique brewery.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%

Cork dated 2001. I have owned this bottle at least 3 years myself.

Cap has dark sweet-smelling liquid beneath and on top of cork. Yuch. Cork (thoroughly soaked) comes out with a nice pop. It smells great and pours a large 50%+ head into the glass. There is sediment in the glass even though I was careful. served around 50F.

Nose is very tart and acidic, fills up part of the room at first, not as complex as some other cantillon products I have had recently. Head fades to almost nothing.

Taste is pucker-sour, a real eye-opener. this may be the most acidic and astringent of their products that I have tried, or maybe my memory is bad. In any event a very refreshing( almost painfully so ) lambic and just the thing if you want to be soured to the max. Lacks some of the complexity of some other cantillon products, even unblended lambics.

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

2004 vintage

Appearance: A darker shade of peach, sort of like apricot juice. Like most lambics, head is pretty much non-existent.

Smell: An old French farmhouse, filled with hay, the shingles are a little old, the rain slowly drips in. A few tired old work horses, their heavy leather saddles hung on the support beams for the night.

Taste: Acidity is a much more tame than the Foufoune that blew me away minutes before, it still had that great musty Cantillon flavor, the usual lively carbonation was a bit more subdued, odd since this bottle is relatively young. Aftertaste was also a little less intense, not as drying. A great Beer for sure, just not at the level of some of the others, IMHO.

1996 bottle that has lost none of it's agressiveness. It may have been sleeping but many did it wake up my tongue.

Cloudy straw color some white head but mostly just bubble sitting on top. Funky but fruity and I really like way it gets my mouth anticipating the sour brett. As always the first sip is a wake-up call to the tongue. This is enjoyable but becomes more rewarding with each sip. White grape juice and a hint of sulfur in the kick help round out the sourness. Nice and light in the mouth and ever refreshing.

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

750 ml bottle, corked and capped. According to the cork, this bottle is from 2003. This beer pours out a bright yellowish orange color with no head, although there appears to be some carbonation present. The aroma is grapes, oak, and horse blanket. This beer sure doesn't lack for funkiness. The aroma changes from minute to minute, more so than just about any beer I've ever tried. Shake your glass gently, take a deep whiff, and the aroma will jump out and bite your head off. The flavor is sour, though it doesn't have the vinegar flavor of many other lambics. The grapes impart a tasty fruitiness. Some oak flavor. Finishes very dry with a pungent bite. This one will burn a hole in your belly, but you just can't stop sipping. There is more carbonation than it appears. Great drinkability. This reminds me why I love beer.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Mmmm... Another beer from Cantillon -- always a treat!
This one's a hazy copper in appearance, with a thin, wispy white head. The aroma is lip puckering at arm's length. The flavor, too, is incredibly tart, a bit sweet mid-palate with hints of grape-skin, vinegar, and oak. Very, very dry in the finish. Let this one sit a while, if you can, as it develops some nice funky, earthier cork and barnyard notes as it warms.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%

I “dropped the bomb” with this one at a brew-in we were having yesterday. Just about anything from Cantillon will surely mix up a party. It's like drawing a line in the crowd between extreme like and loathe.

The cork says that this is a vintage 2000 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear light orangish yellow color with a loose and active white head at first pour. The foam fell pretty quickly to a very small ring maintained by a small amount of rising bubbles.

Aroma: My friend Chris said, "it smells like my dog pen". There was a really earthy aroma when it was first poured, but this goes away really quickly to let you pick up a whole basket of citrus fruit with the nose (now THAT is a visual!). As it sits in my glass in excess of twenty minutes, some of the earthiness comes back, so that it is taking on some hay aromas.

Taste: Sour with a light body. These beers are really great! It is so light and sour with all of this citrus fruit that it is almost like drinking a glass of lemonade. This beer gets really drinkable as it warms up a bit.

Opinion: I just love these beer styles, but I am in a sad state...literally, Texas doesn't sell any of them. This beer is particularly easy to drink, and if I were in Belgium, I am sure that I would have reordered at least one. Perhaps the drinkability came from the fact that it was five years old. Still a beautiful beer!

Cantillon Vigneronne from Brasserie Cantillon