Cantillon Vigneronne | Brasserie Cantillon

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-23-2002

Reviews: 311 | Ratings: 1,300
4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

2004 vintage

Appearance: A darker shade of peach, sort of like apricot juice. Like most lambics, head is pretty much non-existent.

Smell: An old French farmhouse, filled with hay, the shingles are a little old, the rain slowly drips in. A few tired old work horses, their heavy leather saddles hung on the support beams for the night.

Taste: Acidity is a much more tame than the Foufoune that blew me away minutes before, it still had that great musty Cantillon flavor, the usual lively carbonation was a bit more subdued, odd since this bottle is relatively young. Aftertaste was also a little less intense, not as drying. A great Beer for sure, just not at the level of some of the others, IMHO.

1996 bottle that has lost none of it's agressiveness. It may have been sleeping but many did it wake up my tongue.

Cloudy straw color some white head but mostly just bubble sitting on top. Funky but fruity and I really like way it gets my mouth anticipating the sour brett. As always the first sip is a wake-up call to the tongue. This is enjoyable but becomes more rewarding with each sip. White grape juice and a hint of sulfur in the kick help round out the sourness. Nice and light in the mouth and ever refreshing.

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%

750 ml bottle, corked and capped. According to the cork, this bottle is from 2003. This beer pours out a bright yellowish orange color with no head, although there appears to be some carbonation present. The aroma is grapes, oak, and horse blanket. This beer sure doesn't lack for funkiness. The aroma changes from minute to minute, more so than just about any beer I've ever tried. Shake your glass gently, take a deep whiff, and the aroma will jump out and bite your head off. The flavor is sour, though it doesn't have the vinegar flavor of many other lambics. The grapes impart a tasty fruitiness. Some oak flavor. Finishes very dry with a pungent bite. This one will burn a hole in your belly, but you just can't stop sipping. There is more carbonation than it appears. Great drinkability. This reminds me why I love beer.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Mmmm... Another beer from Cantillon -- always a treat!
This one's a hazy copper in appearance, with a thin, wispy white head. The aroma is lip puckering at arm's length. The flavor, too, is incredibly tart, a bit sweet mid-palate with hints of grape-skin, vinegar, and oak. Very, very dry in the finish. Let this one sit a while, if you can, as it develops some nice funky, earthier cork and barnyard notes as it warms.

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%

I “dropped the bomb” with this one at a brew-in we were having yesterday. Just about anything from Cantillon will surely mix up a party. It's like drawing a line in the crowd between extreme like and loathe.

The cork says that this is a vintage 2000 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear light orangish yellow color with a loose and active white head at first pour. The foam fell pretty quickly to a very small ring maintained by a small amount of rising bubbles.

Aroma: My friend Chris said, "it smells like my dog pen". There was a really earthy aroma when it was first poured, but this goes away really quickly to let you pick up a whole basket of citrus fruit with the nose (now THAT is a visual!). As it sits in my glass in excess of twenty minutes, some of the earthiness comes back, so that it is taking on some hay aromas.

Taste: Sour with a light body. These beers are really great! It is so light and sour with all of this citrus fruit that it is almost like drinking a glass of lemonade. This beer gets really drinkable as it warms up a bit.

Opinion: I just love these beer styles, but I am in a sad state...literally, Texas doesn't sell any of them. This beer is particularly easy to drink, and if I were in Belgium, I am sure that I would have reordered at least one. Perhaps the drinkability came from the fact that it was five years old. Still a beautiful beer!

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Presentation: 750ml bottle, corked, capped, and foiled. One of the few bottles left at Cantillon, at a mere 6 euro. Bottled in 2005.

Appearance: Very light golden color, crystal clear with a moderate white head with good retention and lacing.

Smell: Incredible, great tartness with those funky wild yeast overtones. Light bardyard, wet horseblanket, and almost herbal chemical bitterness.

Taste: Stong up front sourness with a light bitterness and funky bardyardy flavors. Then near the finish, the tartness slowly fades completely away and makes way for a smooth and sweet malt. The finish is dry, funky, and the tartness comes back. On the way down, it burns the through with its strong acidity.

Notes: Very interesting how the taste of this beer progressed. Very sour and funky, then sweet malt, then dry with a throat burning sensation.

3.65/5  rDev -14.9%

This beer follows up what my feelings for lambics in general. I like them, yes, but I've come to learn this is an acquired taste rather than a straigth on brew.

I liked the appearance- starting off by the 75cl corked bottle that had a feeling of wine- much like the rest of the product. the pour was clean, slight headed and with a champagne appearance, you know, like when you pour it and the golden tone condenses on the glass and looks a bit more mate.

The smell...strongly wine-y, but still very strong. you can really feel the fermentation in it, because the yeast is very present, and commands all the feel for this sense.

the taste I was a bit disappointed with. Misschien wel, I have not still the practice for this sort of beer, but it seemed too much like other Cantillon products. a dominant apple taste, with a co-dominant (oh fuck it, I'm seein genetics at med-school) astringency. It has a really strong mouthfeel guided by this sour-bitterness that joins up at the end with a sort of salty taste.

I liked it, yes, I'm just a fan of other styles. BUT, there's still plenty of cantillons for me to try, and there's not one that I wouldn't have again.

4.72/5  rDev +10%

vintage 1997

golden orange, body design of the glass changes the opacity of the beer from seethru to hazy in different spots. no head, vinous. aroma is mild bacteria with a big blast of grappa and licorice. lots of creamy oaky age encircles the flavor experience. tart and rich overall with definite moments of muscat and a satisfying, dry mouthfeel after swallowing. perfect evening sipper. would drink this nightly if i could.

love the almond hints that this lambic leaves with warmth.. overall a very special brew.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

750 ml bottle, capped and corked, with the top encased in black foil. 2003 vintage according to the stamped date on the cork. Lambic aromas begin spewing forth as soon as it is uncapped, even before the cork is removed. After a run of sampling some less than stellar beers, this one is a pleasant eye opener.
Appearance: Hazy tangerine hued body with a shortlived offwhite head. Enormous carbonation apparent in the goblet. No lacing.
Aroma: Sour and musty notes immediately take you aback. Chicken house yeasty funkiness assaults the senses. Very woodsy, possibly from the partially oxidized cork, but some oak shavings suggest cask aging. Slightly vinous note of white grapes and plenty of acidic vinegary tartness jump about the nostrils. Muted note of floral and grassy hops.
Mouthfeel: Slap your face acidic tartness is dominant. Light bodied, with good carbonation that softens as it warms.
Taste: Superb Lambic complexities abound. Tartly fruity, sour, acidic, vinegar like. Oak wood tones are also assertive. A hint of sour cherries briefly suggests a good Flanders Red, but fade into lemony grapes. Musty, spiderweb encrusted, dank attic mustiness replaces the funky dried chicken droppings of the aroma. The musty yeastiness is present all the way through. Tastes as if someone sneaked into the room and squirted the juice of a fresh lemon into the goblet. Wow! This is a tart and acidic brew. Very wild and earthy. Some oxidation in this one, but it seems to belong.
Drinkability: Bracing and invigorating, supremely complex. A classic Lambic that is a genuine work of the brewer's art. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Enjoyed another wonderful Cantillon with kmpitz2 and just ran across my notes. Golden yellow orange pour with not much of a head..just a fizzy big bubbly top to it. Brighty and shining in the glass. Before I even put my nose near the glass I get a blast of big, funky barnyard aromas. This is followed by a nice dose of vinegar, yeast and grains. You can smell this a mile away and it nearly burns the nostrils. Extremely acidic tones with just a hint of grape in the undercurrent. Damn.

First sip brings an upfront sour grainy fruitiness with a hint of lemon and white grape. The vinegar acidity very present along with some mouth puckering sourness...quite dry overall. Funky, horse blanket makes itself known on the way down and lingers slightly. Another intriguing Cantillon that shows the wonders of spontaneous fermentation.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with a good flow of bubbles throughout. Lovely mouth puckering goodness. A 750ml bottle that is very enjoyable when shared with a friend, as the whole bottle may be a bit much. A wonderful taste exeperience overall that shouldn't be missed...thanks to marburg for this one.

4.68/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks Don.

Poured a golden yellow color with no head nd rather still. The nose was intense. Super funkey, insane sour, acrid, pungent. The closest I can recall is when I worked at a zoo (yes, I really did) and had to clean the donkey stalls. That was the ost acrid smell I have ever encountered. This beer was very close. Wow. Just wow. The flavor was wesome. First, it pulled all moisture from my mouth. The sourness was intense, but not puckering. I got a small hint of hte vinous grape nd grape rind. It was an intense flavor, but not lingering and offensive. It finished a bit grainey even. Just beautiful. The feel was moderate with a very light carbonation. Drinkability was as good as it gets. I thought it was going to kick my ass whe I first smelled it, but the flavor was very refined and mellow. Everything was in harmony. Awesome beer. Don, you are a champ.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

It is my birthday and I have saved this beer for a while to enjoy. The cork reads 2000 and this is a 750ml bottle. This beer pours out a golden yellow color with very little head. The carbonation level is very low. The smell is typical Cantillon. Sour and fruity.

The taste is slightly sweeter than their other beers thanks to the muscat grapes. The grapes add perfect balance to this beer. People always add weird tastes to this line of beers so here is mine. A bit grainy like cereal with hints of wheat and oats. I believe most of their beers are dry hopped. I never really pick up any of the hop notes in their beers. The sourness seems to dominate. A spectacular beer!

4.59/5  rDev +7%

Appearence: Poured a simple golden yellow without no head,

Smell: The smell is of grapes and some hints of spices. A hint of oak is also detectable.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is such a simple, beautiful grape taste. The simplicity of this beer is what makes it so wonderful. There are subtle coimplexities, but they aren't the focus. The focus is on the wonderful grape flavor that is full and incredibly thirst quenching.

Drinkability and Overall: This is easily the best lambic I've ever had. It's absolutely brilliant. The grape flavor is so real and so damn tasty. I'm in love with this beer, and I wish I could drink it all night. One of the best.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a spritzy orange with a nice rocky head that really didnt leave much lace at all,whoa the funk like sitting in a barn with this bad boy I also picked up some oak and vanilla but the funk was hard core,My mouth is still puckering from this stuff full tilt sour and musty like intensly concentrated lemon pith and a wet basement.Not my cup of tea this will be my last foray into Cantillon brews this one is most intense in my opinion.

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"2.003" printed on the cork

Bright, cloudy orange color. Schnizzly, crackling foam on top. Aromas of honey and pickled onions. Quite seductive and floral from a distance -- this is assertively scented juice. Only with a nose buried in the bowl do the savory, sulferous, mustard-like aromas become dominant. Sticky, vitamin-rich honey scents bring it together. Big, cool mouthfulls are sour, but not as tightly acidic as the "2.004" Kriek -- by way of comparison. Must be the age.
Very dry. Juicy. Laced with forward nectar perfumes. Vanilla, butter and biscuit flavors linger nicely. The middle is ruled by impressions of mustards, baked onions, and peach pits.

A byoot.

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Reasonably full white head, bubbly brew. Quite literally, this beer is cloudy -- lots of fluffy pockets of yeast and/or other sediment are drifting throughout this mazie/orange beer. Orange peel, green grapes, vanilla-less oak, and nasty barnyard funk are all notable undertones to a dominant sourness. Mouth-puckering goodness is defined by some orange and other citrus flavors as well as the typical Cantillon lactic acidity. Some brief hints of more refined sourness with very clear citrus flavors. The orange really pops and keeps coming to mind. Addictive like crack; I need more.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Sampled from a 750 mL bottle at the Moan and Dove.

This lambic poured a hazy, peach color with light white foam. The smell was a wonderful lambic aroma with an explosion of tartness and some vinous and very musty smells greeting ones nostrils. The taste was tart and musty with notes of grapes (vinous) and typical "wild" lambic flavors. The mouthfeel was crisp and sharp and tart and acerbic with medium body and strong carbonation. This was an excellent lambic, and one of the best from Cantillon that I have sampled.

Very nice, and enjoyed with several fellow BAs on the last bus trip (Cellerman, Uncle Jimbo, and my better half, David). This is the one made with muscat grapes I believe. Cloudy goldenrod when poured. I thought the aroma was of light barnyard...in my minds eye I see fresh straw and sawdust ;-) Anyway, this one is very juicy, very fruity, but I still experienced some acetic qualities (grapeskin?). Probably will not be my favorite Cantillon, but I am glad I got to try it and share it with some great BAs at the Moan and Dove.

4.11/5  rDev -4.2%

Golden crystal peach color with a slight white ring after the brew settles in the goblet. I brought this baby back from my trip to Belgium. Not much of a detectable nose. Slight bitterness upfront with a white grape sweetness. Very linear tasting. The dryness of the finish balences the sweetness upfront. Quite dry overall. A great beer to start the night with. White grapes are the dominant trait. Flatish mouth. A nice apartif..

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Hazy medium gold. Raspy head is quickly gone.

Nose is white grapey over crackery malt. Nice lemon/lime citrus notes. Some earthiness, and a bit of a floral dimension as well.

Wonderfully round and full in the mouth, particularly for a Cantillon. Plenty of lovely Muscat flavors melding with the earth and funk. The acidity is there to provide backbone, but it doesn't dominate. Finish just goes on forever.

Well-balanced level of carbonation provides an excellent mouthfeel. Great drinkability, and fantastic with food.

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is my second Cantillon lambic, and man, am I converted. I had this on-tap at Spuyten Duyvil in a wineglass. The pour was a light peach pink, so I kind of felt like I should be embarassed, but if anyone had said anything I would've made them taste it. My roommate couldn't even gander a sip. "It smells." "Yeah, they call it 'horse blanket.'" "I don't like the way it smells." "Just try it" "No." And she goes back to her Sinebrychoff Porter.

I was only slightly disappointed by the mouthfeel. Only slightly puckerrific, but the taste. Oh, the taste. It's slightly sour with sweetness peeking through, and yes, the grapes are there, mostly in the finish, though I could discern some grapeskin bite (the kind of sour acidness you get then you lick a grape- don't ask) in the taste. Overall, yummy. I want to/will splurge for a bottle of this, one day.

Definitely no "sour grapes" here. Hahaha....

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

This offering from Cantillon was actually on-tap at the Carlsbad Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest, one of sixteen Belgians on-tap. I had seen a bottle of Vigneronne the day before and found it had muscat grapes in it. I was so eager to try a Cantillon on-tap that I gave up two tickets for a double serving, about 8oz.
The appearance was a slightly hazy golden color with a modest white head that didn't stick around long or leave any lace. The nose had a vinegary, slightly funky, kinda sweet wine-like aroma. The funky smell was kind of like a visit to a farm - a hint of animal hide, damp straw, and that general barnyard aroma. Strange and strangely appealing.
The first taste resulted in the near-total implosion of my cheeks, such was the unexpected sourness. The initial flavor had me thinking of the little unripened green grapes I'd find as a kid and try to eat on a dare. Shockingly sour, it took a bit of getting used to. Once my mouth adapted to the eye-tearing sour bite, I noticed there was a sweetness, a touch of honey and grapes, mixed with a mild dusty yeast flavor. The fine, darting carbonation and the sweet&sour tartness made this feel light and creamy yet very, very dry when each taste went down.
Yee-oww, that stung! I enjoyed it in an almost masochistic way, as each taste made my eyes water and face contort. If you like big-time sour with your beer, Cantillon really knows how to brew it up.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Raise a shout and a hip-hooray for my first bottle of Cantillon! Only had a taste of Rose Gambrinus once, years ago. Onward!
On first uncorking, a citric, sour, mustiness pervades the air from out of the bottle. Bright golden color, slight haze, with a solid white head that wittles down to nothingness in seconds flat.
Aroma: a subdued sour, a mellow lemon/orange, and a certain je'ne sais whosits, a dank must, but with a trace of sweetness and honey.
Taste: bracingly sour, instant grimace graces the countenance, but once you get over it, it's pretty easy to take. A light, rounded fruitiness lays underneath, a pleasant flavor, vibrant, tangy, tasty.
Medium body, extraordinary, tart texture, with a long, comfortable finish, giving a little spark with every encounter with the tongue. Good stuff !
Muscat grapes mixed with unblended lambic...I like it!

3.15/5  rDev -26.6%

750ml corked and capped. No freshness date Pours a clear and initially sparkling gold that quieted down quickly leaving no head and a few tiny bubbles behind. Aroma is yeasty and fruity with grapes in the mix as well as a musty cellar funk. Mouthfeel is highly effervescent and crisp with a tart and dry finish. Flavor is sour and tart like a wine cooler with grapes providing most of the flavor. Not the best Lambic but not a drain pour either.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

A murky peach coloured brew with golden yellow and orangey highlights. The aroma is more subdued than a typical lambic offering from Cantillon. The aroma consists of the white muscat grapes and the sweet sugars that they have let off. There is also a peach like frutiness amongst the mustiness and barnyard like traditional lambic aromas that are also prevalent in this brew. Finally a bit of sweet honey ties all of the flavors together and make this one extremely complex and interesting brew. The taste follows suit on the aroma. The traditional lambic funkiness and sweet and sour tartness are there, but there is also so much more going on in the mix. The clover honey, and white grape flavors explode on the tongue, and I can even taste a bit of other fruits (perhaps peaches and apricots) in the mix as well. The mouthfeel is extremely effervescent, astringent, sweet, sour and excellent and the drinkability is classic Cantillon excellence as well! What else can I say, that has not already been said. Another achingly original and traditional offering for Van-Roy and Cantillon...the true lambic masters! I found this to be best served at around 55* F!

Cantillon Vigneronne from Brasserie Cantillon