Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru | Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Reviews by starrdogg:

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%

Mellowed out cellared bottle.Just a mellow cantillon sounress and oak flavour, but well done on that account. Went well went varied with a doppleback and a mead. Cloudy yellow with no lace. Medium mouthfeel with acid that was tolerable. tart, dry finish.

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

Shared 750 ml bottle at Himmeriget in Copenhagen. We had this after Blåbär and Mamouche, which maybe doesn't do this justice...

Pours flat and a coppery straw color.

Smell is tart and funky, with hints of apricot and peach. Compared to other Cantillons, it's a bit understated and one dimensional.

Nice taste, again with plenty of funk, a bit of apricot and some nice floral notes.

Mouthfeel is a bit special, since it is virtually uncarbonated. It gives the liquid a smoothness, but also takes away a bit of the sensation.

This is a very good sour, but I can see why it's one of the lower rated Cantillons. It's a bit one dimensional, and the lack of carbonation makes it stand out a bit, especially if you're not ready for it.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Bottled in 2005. Equal parts ripe apricot and amber, possibly favoring the former. A static cloud of fine yeast gives the beer needed visual interest (since the head is nearly absent). As I understand it, lambics are essentially uncarbonated, hence the lack of foam and lace. Given that it's supposed to look like this, it isn't easy to pick a score.

The aroma has a lot in common with white grape juice that is incredibly tart and acidic rather than sweet. There's also a funkiness that is much less... uh... funky than Brettanomyces and is completely different in character. I expect to like this one.

Wow that's tart! If I was an oenophile, I'm sure there's some wine that I could compare this unblended lambic to. How about a bottle of whatever white wine is most puckery, acidic and dry... mixed with a few ounces of apple cider vinegar and a shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is definitely different, but I can see myself acquiring this acquired taste over time. Having said that, getting through the entire '750' won't be easy. If you like acidic, pop a few Tums, pull the cork and pour.

The thing that keeps me from loving what is undoubtedly a classic unblended lambic is the lack of depth and complexity. On the other hand, maybe I just can't appreciate it due to my relative unfamiliarity with beer of this style. In the end, I prefer the added flavor of raspberries in Rose De Gambrinus and the added flavor of grapes in Saint Lamvinus.

Like the appearance, I'm finding it hard to come up with a mouthfeel score that respects the style guidelines while still staying true to my sensory impressions. At the risk of being thought unsophisticated, it's thin and borderline flat and I don't love it.

I've heard all sorts of scary things about real lambics (not those stickysweet fruit lambics that qualify as chick beer). About how they're hard-edged, uncompromising, extremely variable from batch to batch, and so on. Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is pretty easy to live with and the first half has gone well enough. When it's all said and done, though, I don't think I'll be plunking down the cash for another bottle.

4.21/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – The big, typical monster head lies atop the light orange body. Lacing? Yes, everywhere. The mag let out a huge bellow of smoke when I popped its cork.

Smell – This is incredibly strong. There’s a sweet, pungent, sour aroma full of spice including clove, coriander, allspice, and many others. There’s also a touch of yeast in there but it’s mostly about the sour and spicy base. The oak aroma rings throughout.

Taste – Here we go. This spicy, sour ale is a real heavy hitter. I wasn’t able to pick up in the taste anything that I couldn’t in the scent, but all the ingredients are magnified times ten. The spicy flavors are almost chalky on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation gives this some body, but the puckering effect of the flavors will have your mouth moving in all kinds of strange contortions.

Drinkability – You will love or hate this bottle. Either way, it is very complex. The depths of the flavors are beyond reproach.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

4.48/5  rDev +14%

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a slightly foggy, apple juice color (I was pleased to see that description in CAMRA's review as well). There is absolutely zero head with just a small amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass immediately after a hard pour. Maybe there was just dust in my glass, but I see a lot of something loating around in there when I hold it up to the light.

You can smell this one as soon as you start to pour, it fills the room. An acidic, wine-like smell, and, as would be customary for Cantillon, very, very, sour.

Wow. This beer has no carbonation whatsoever. But is does have a sour bite that runs all over my tongue. A wonder of a beer that brings to mind a dry wine, white or red, more than anything else. Grapes, definitely grapes.

Midway through first glass, I think, "Man, one would be fine, but I don't know about drinking a whole bottle." Too bad I still have two-thirds of the bottle still sitting in the fridge.

Personally, I'd prefer a gueze or a framboise. Without the carbonation the tartness can be very overpowering. But all in all, this is a wholly unique brew, and I highly recommend it.

3.54/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very underwhelming. Love the flavor and idea but the head, mouth feel and even flavor suffers from a straight-out flatness. Ripe pear in the nose, slick mouth feel and a pleasant tartness of fallen apples. Tartness fades and depth is lost ... Not worth the high price tag at all.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a Chimay glass--bottle dated 16-Nov-2009

Appearance: orange in color, clear, minimal head, low carbonation

Smell: sour mix and oak--very white wine like

Taste: sour mix, big oak, alcohol, and light fruit

Mouthfeel: slightly sour, tart, dry, light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: A very different brew. My first reaction was I really like the way the oak mixes with the sour. After the sourness numbed my tastes some, I realized how much this tastes like a good dry white wine. This one is a sipper and I would be curious to get it on draft. However, I am not likely to pick up another bottle at the price point. A good solid beer that is worthy of trying--at least once.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottled November 16, 2009.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is awesome with very tart lemons as well as some oak notes. The flavor is pretty good, but not near as tart or sour as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get notes of lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry. The only real problem I have with the beer is that the body is extremely thin and watery. The carbonation is very low.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

750 ml. bottle corked and capped.Mirky golden,amber hues very thin speckled coating of a head.Very fine dark particles of yeast suspended.

Very sour fruity/acidic aromas,apples/pears slight citrus/lemony and funky yeast with bubble gum and very slight vinegar notes

Very thin,light mouthfeel,acidic,very tart fruitiness,green unripen apples,lemon rind,very earthy with wooden cask notes,very dry husky finish, vinious qualities start to finish with a slight touch of peppery vinegar aftertastes.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon