Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru | Brasserie Cantillon

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

3.9

Reviews: 314 | Ratings: 819
3.36/5  rDev -13.8%

A 750ml corked and capped bottle bottled on 21st August 2015 and poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: It poured a very slightly cloudy golden orange colour with pretty much no head at all and very sparse lacing if any.

Aroma: Leather, oak, malt vinegar, dusty, chalk and funky. Maybe a hint of apricot but not really.

Taste: Tart, sour, green apple, vinegar, lemon juice, oak and funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied with pretty much no carbonation.

Overall: The taste was decent and better than the aroma. However with every sip, the aroma kind of gets to me. The dusty and chalky element just wasn’t my cup of tea. In addition, the complete lack of carbonation was not so good. Perhaps this particular beer is just not for me considering all the other world class Lambics that I’ve tried.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottled November 16, 2009

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold/orange with very few bubbles that quickly dissipate. No head, no lacing

S: Smells pretty acidic and sour. Plenty of funky aromas, hay, oak, wild yeast, maybe a little apple cider. Seems to smell a bit vinous as well- like white wine.

T: Up front I get a whole bunch of citrus. Mostly lime, lemon, a bit of grapefruit. In the midpalate, I taste some bready malt, oak, green apples and some leather. This beer is citrusy, tart, sour, acidic. Has a flavor profile similar to a white wine or rose while also reminding me of a gueuze.

M: I would say the mouthfeel is medium. There is no carbonation

D: The Bruocsella Grand Cru is pretty sour/tart/acidic. It begins to wear on my palate. Would not drink it again

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

This was my first run with Cantillon.

The appearance is like liquid straw, an incredible golden color that has a deeper, darker center. This beer is still, like other reviews have pointed out. There is no head or lacing or any foamy bubbles whatsoever. This does have a leg on it that just coats the glass with oil. When poured, the bubbles in the brew fight their hardest to make it to the top. The final gravity on this must have been high because this thing is thick.

The smell is a light funk, green apples and lots of oak. There is a mild cheese smell as well.

The taste is cheesy funk, sweet green apples, molded oak, lemon grass, and a bit of earth. There are other funky rotten tastes that are very faint, but very good.

The brew is hard to drink because it is still. I know that this is a true unblended lambic, but I need some carbonation. I feel with a little fizz this thing could of been way better. It has an oily mouthfeel, and the funky tart flavors are just mild to other lambics I have had. Towards the end of the bottle I was drinking it pretty fast, but it took me a while to get used to.

J

3.34/5  rDev -14.4%

One of the weirder beers I've tried in a while... let's see how a *flat* unblended lambic does.

A. 100%, totally and in all other ways flat. It does not even try. Oh well. At least it's not doing anything half way.

S. Hmm... very intense lemon-polish here... a bit cheesy, white grape, acidic, not very deep. Sour and bracing. Hint of minerals. Doesn't smell bad, but I hope you like tart/sour lambics...

T. ... 'cause that's all that is here. Very tart and sour, lemons and dry, fully attenuated, flat beer is what you get. Think lemonade before you add the sugar. It really is that tart. Nary a hint of sweetness, hops, malt character or anything else here but oaky, sour and tart liquid. Woody and leathery. Hints of sulfur and salt. Hard to think of it as beer after a few sips ... sort of like juice. Sour juice.

M. Well, it's flat. Dry. Sour lemon-acidic finish. A bit tough to drink...

D. Low. This is is a sipper... 2 ounces is fine. A good after dinner drink or something to throw out to mix things up during a tasting. I just can't imagine drinking this more than once a year / vintage.

Broucsella is interesting, a unique not quite "finished" beer and quite fun if you like lambics - I don't know of anything else like it. But it's not really a "good" beer - it lacks the complexity of its Cantillon brethren and the drinkability of... well, most anything else. A good beer to have at least once; after that I'd spend your money on one of Cantillon's superior offerings.

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

750mL poured into New Glarus flute.
2008 Vintage.

A- Pours a rusty apricot with absolutely no head as it should. There is a decent haze to it. Just a few bubbles sitting around the top of the glass.

S- Faint hints of damp basement, some book dust and some sour grapes. A hint of apple cider and a little yeast.

T- Taste is much like the nose with a muskiness, some oak and some sour grape. A little acidity and not much else going on.

M- Pretty much completely flat. Medium bodied but again no carbonation. There is a little bit of puckering to it but I would say more tart than sour.

D- I was glad to finally be able to try this but I would rather reach for some of the other Cantillon offerings. Not to say its bad but if you are looking for a sour, look elsewhere.

3.32/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

750 bottled 27 Jan. 2011.

Appearance. Pours a hazy gold with a little bit of amber, no head except for the bubbles from the pour (as expected).

Smell. Green apples, tart lemon juice, and a little funk, vinegar, and old wood.

Taste. Lemons and green apple again, some funky wood and aged earthy hops with a little grass. Fairly light on these flavours.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, flat as a board.

Overall. Not a fan of the no carbonation despite it being that way on purpose. Lacking a bit in flavour as well compared to other offerings. Nice to have tried but I won't be buying it again.

3.32/5  rDev -14.9%

eyes...
honey colored hazem zero head, even with a rigourous pour, not that that is a shicking thing on a cantillon from experience. a little carbonation noted. very pedestrian looking lambic, totally john doe.

nose...
tart apples with a handfull of dirt, that strange almost chemical smell funk that you find in many cantillon products.. maybe not as prounounced as it is here, it lingers like a wet glad bag that has been sitting out on a humid day full of garbage, attacks the nose like a boozy beer might but of course it isn't astringent like that, I suppose it is some sort of the oak penetrating the brew. interesting but they make better.

taste etc...
thin and light drinking, the mouth gets coated even though this is so light, not nearly as tart as their other offerings, the flavor follows the nose to the letter, the oak almost tastes out of place rather than adding to the overall flavor. this is pretty straight foward in terms of just being a basic unflavored lambic. It is quite acidic as you might expect.

verdict?
interesting but for me cantillon makes far superior and more interesting brews. if I want something tart hand me their gueze. The oak adds some interesting notes but not much imo.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy, still golden body with a thin, white head.

Smell: The cold hard fact that this smells exactly like TheBeerCellar's 1978 "Gas Line" Lemonade is totally indisputable.

Taste: A slight upfront sweetness layered with lemons and hay. Hints of wood and salt. Plenty of vinegary acidity on the dry, pucker-inducing finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Very little carbonation to speak of. Just the slightest bit oily in the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I'm tellin' ya, "Gas Line Lemonade".

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%

2010 vintage - 750ml - $22

A- A hard pour yields as exspected just a few loose bubbles the vanish instantly and leave a mirror finish. Hazy sunset orange in color.

S- Ahh welcome to the Cantillon barn and I will be your tour guide, Jean. Just a wonderful tart barnyard smell or as someone trying a lambic for the first time... sweaty socks filled with cheese. Ha! Excellent.

T- Deep funk with oak notes.

M- Oh no... flat. But that taste is there and prevents the drain pour. Oh I love that taste...

O- A very complex oak forward lambic with funk. Hard to get into depth with this brew however without any carb, would be delicious if it a better mouth feel.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

2010 Vintage - 750ml green bottle - Brewed December 20th, 2007, bottled October 20th, 2010 - Poured into my Cantillon stemware...

Pours still (acceptable for style) but it still makes me sad. I knew this beer had little to no carbonation, but still I was hoping to see a few bubbles...Slightly hazy pale orange color, looks like a got me some Indian Summer Apple Juice...

A nice lemon tartness is overwhelmed a wonderful, strong dose of barnyard funk. Although the beer is pretty fresh, it smells old and musty, dry and oaky, just how a Cantillon should...

Taste is a bit citric with a mellow sweet finish. Only mildly sour, the taste focuses more on the funk and oak. Mouthfeel negatively effects taste, as much of the flavor suddenly drops out mid-drink, leaving only a slightly musty and oaky aftertaste...

Medium bodied and completely still. Very thin in the finish, taste drops out. Needs gas.

This beer is pretty fresh (for a Cantillon) and as is, it is by far my least favorite Cantillon. I have a few more bottles of varying age and am eager to see if time will improve this beer...

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

A. Poured a flat deep yellowish color, no head, no bubbles, just still as can be

S. Horseblanket, lemon zest and citrus on top some Earthy notes

T. Initial hit of barnyard and citrus in the way of some lemon zest and orange peel, then more and more barnyard appears leaving a stale mustiness on the palate. There is also an underlying old apple juice like note I can't get past. The finsih is flat, dry, funky.

M. Flat, light bodied, clean

O. Not to bad.

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

Blind Beer #5 from Khazadum, with the text: "Is this one tastay trip or what?!?". Yes my man, it is.

Glassware recommendations suggest a flute or tulip, and as I open the capped and corked bottle, it screams Belgian at me again. My Cantillon flared wine glass is getting a lot of use in this BIF.

A - This pours a straw-colored yellow, perhaps with a little bit more of orange in it. It is pretty hazy and opaque, and only blurry shadows of my fingers can be seen through it. It is essentially still with no head, but there are very minuscule bubbles sticking to the side of the glass. Likewise, no lacing to go along with this besides the tiniest sliver of foam that makes up a little ring around the edge that makes a little curtain. (3.5/5)

S - Sticking with the trend of the other beers I was sent in this BIF, this smells pretty funky as well. I'm getting a little bit of lactic acidity and sourness in the nose, but it's pretty mild compared to the others Khaz has sent me so far. There's a good amount of citrus in here, especially lemon zest. This is pretty mild on the Brett though and therefore it comes across as quite balanced. (4/5)

T - As in the nose, this is more tart than sour so I'm a little confused as to the style of this. It starts with a nice amount of malt and wood or oak, but the tartness comes soon after. There's actually a lot more complexity in the nose of this one, as the taste is pretty straightforward. The citrus in the nose devolves into essentially just some lemon, and I'm getting something that tastes strangely like chlorine? Not really musty or funky as the nose would suggest, just tart. Even the Brett seems subdued? (3/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with almost no carbonation. Not really mouth-puckering but the tartness does linger a bit. Semi-dry and seems to drink like a white wine. Honestly I can't say I'm a huge fan of the still lambics, as it seems they come across as slightly sour wine. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. Make no mistake, this is pretty easy to drink and isn't offensive, but the nose promises on more than the taste and mouthfeel can deliver on. It's lacking some of those extra layers of complexities and depth that I expect of the traditional Belgian styles. (3/5)

I'm going to peg this as an unblended lambic. Not getting an overwhelming amount of any one fruit to suggest that, and it's not sour or funky enough for a gueuze...

The reveal: Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru. Oh hey my first Cantillon beer and it fits nicely with the glass choice! I'm actually a little surprised that this is from Cantillon, as I've always heard how sour their beers are, but I honestly wasn't getting a ton of sourness in this. I'm also a little surprised that this was from Cantillon as it seems a little... lackluster or lacking in depth, but I'm really glad I got to try it!!

Thanks Khaz, for another excellent choice!

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

02/06/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle shared with BA members at my Super Bowl Party last night. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Not sure what a true lambic is supposed to look like. Kinda an orange-peach colored pour with absolutely zero head and about the same in lacing. I gave it a 4 in appearance, but I could re-rate it after trying other true lambics.

Smell- Guess I finally figured out the barnyard funk smell. My fiancee is from Montana and grew up on a cattle ranch, and she confirmed that it kinda smelled like a barn, a dirty barn! To me it smelled like a skunky-honey and baby poo diaper. Yet I liked it! I don't know why, but I did. I think there is a bunch of lemon and heavy citrus scents also.

Taste- Well, I was expecting this to be the most sour experience of my life. I had one of the Cantillon lambics at the Toronado about 6 months ago and spent $10 on a 12 oz pour. That was some sour ass shit! I literally had to chase each sip with a gulp of water to keep from gagging. Well, I was expecting the same here. Turns out all Cantillon's are not super sour. This one was sour, but not anything compared to the last one. Maybe I had the Iris or the Vigneronne. It was very watery and dull. Had a weird taste of latex or some weird tupperware taste. A bit stale. Not fruity at all. Very disappointed in this one. At least the other one had some fruity zing to it.

Mouthfeel- Ultra low carbonation and a watery mouthfeel. I know the carbonation was right, but the watery part?

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one. It was the cheapest of the Cantillon line when I bought it 6 months ago at about $12. Hopefully my next try will be better. Not even giving up on them yet.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up when I was down in Florida last week, along with a bunch of other nice Cantillon beers. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 02/19/2009.

The pour was decent enough with a clear, dark grape juice looking liquid with only the slightest bit of carbonation sticking to the inside of the glass. The aroma is sour, tart notes, hints of a woody or oak like touch with a vanilla touch to it. Small notes of cherry or some light fruit notes. As I take a taste the feel really throuws me off. It is almost like oily water, no carbontion and slick feeling, really distracting. The bite of tart apples is lightly offset with a touch of vanilla and oak in the finish, nothing too bad at all, but nothing blowing me away. Just a touch one to put down, the tartness was not strong enough and the subtle hints of oak, too light to make a difference. My least favorite Cantillon beer to date.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. On cask at Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest, organic version. Pours a light orange with no head. Aroma is fruity, but I can't tell which fruit. Flavor of sour funk, oak/wood, cheese. No carbonation. This beer had too much funk/sweat and I was not a fan. Seems that it's better in bottle.
6/3/6/4/13 (3.2/5)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

750ml bottled poured inappropriately into my new 3 glass. Bottled on October 20, 2010, brewed October 30, 2007...Pours a really dark dark gold with only light carbonation. No real head rises, a few watery bubbles after you're done pouring. No lacing...The aroma is really light, only gives off some musky horse blanket, a little boring...Taste is also pretty light, shows off lots of oak, spider webs, chalk, musky. Not very sour, a little but more bitter than sour if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of unblended beers, or this wasn't a great batch. Either way, this is the probably the least good Cantillon I've had and can't imagine having this again.

3.17/5  rDev -18.7%

One of the few remaining bottles we jammed into our luggage & lugged back from dirty, beautiful Brussels. Capped & corked 750ML bottle spit with my wife (who suitcased half of them).

Pour is clouded orange even leaving the loogie in the bottom, with close to or actuallly zippo in the way of carbonation. Lots of lemon & orange & apple hit the nose, with a strong foundation of tartness (not funk). Interest is piqued.

Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru is razor sharp. Lemon juice you could slash a finger on is paired up oddly with a deep fall mustiness; not really digging the combo. Acidic but not overpoweringly so, & the sour is held in check. Strongly drying oak. Half a bomber of this was too much - could have been split several ways.

Just not digging the stale, just-before-the-snow-flies must that has wound its way into the DNA of this beer. Decent enough, but easily my least favorite of the pantheon we experienced during & after the trip.

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

3.12/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

2009 vintage on cork

Bottled August 28th 2009

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with no head at all just some big bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. No lacing, and small alcohol legs on the side. Hopefully it's carbonated.

S- Tons of funk and strong barnyard that immediately makes your mouth salivate in preparation for the sourness. Has a really strong almost off putting grassy earthy nose to it with hints of green apple. Musty old oak and dust.

T- Flat up front. But flavor wise funk up front with fruit flavors of apple and vinous grapes. Behind that is a strong earthy punch of faded grassy hops and mushroom like dirt. Definitely some musty oak in there as well. The more I drink it and it warms the more it tastes like bile. Not good.

M- Medium to lighter body with no carbonation and a decently sour finish.

Overall this beer would be a lot better with carbonation. Hard to drink.

3.12/5  rDev -20%

Poured from 75cl to a Wine Glass

Appearence: Poured an Amazing hy golden color. No head. But has little bubbles on top like fresh poured wine. Obviously Flat

Aroma: Acidic Sour, Rancid, cheese, mold, Almost smells like toenail fungus to be honest.

Taste: Fresh sliced lemon Juice, watered down and funky, exactly the taste I get, Not malty at all, Not what I was expecting at all. Pretty bland but that is expected. This beer would probably do Great in the cellar for a looong time.

Mouthfeel: Watery, Not dry, or slick, or cloying. Very watery

Overall: Great beer but definantly could not drink it every day like the brewers do. Overall I am Amazed with the beer. However VERY happy I did not pay money for this

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fairly tannic nose, oaky dry, a little pure apple juice with a dash of dry white wine. Foam nonexistent. Entry in the mouth easy enough but the tannins take advantage very quickly (oak) with this small taste of white wine or cider. Unfortunately a bit too flat. Sour and acid, but without being in abundance, like Cantillon products. However, the beer is too far from a final product to be really interesting.

3.04/5  rDev -22.1%

Bottle date of September 5, 2007.

Pots into a Duvel Tulip a gold color with absolutely zero head.

Sour and funky nose. Decaying apple, pear and white wine with cider vinegar.

Tart with no sweetness. Apple cider vinegar with some wood notes. Pretty average at best.

One word to describe the feel: flat.

Quite lackluster in all aspects and certainly not worth the pricetag.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

I had held this Cantillon in proper storage for some months now, and yesterday's arrival of a long time friend called for a bit of beer.

The 75cl bottle, unlike other Cantillons did not make a small gas related pop once the cork was drawn. It was the first bad sign.

The pour was almost completely flat, but I reckon other bright lambics aren't all that carbonated. this is much more like a wine than a beer, I said to myself. Appearance-wise, all the rest seemed perfectly normal: nice inside-of-an-apple sort of yellowish tones, a thin layer of bubbles atop.

I guess that was the only bad incident, but the rest of the beer I did not enjoy because it seems to me that it's too much like their other beers. the sour smell was a clear upfront indicator, I could've been drinking any other Cantillon Lambic here. Side-by-sidedness would not help. Plus, it wasn't too carbonated either. and the saltyness I'd felt before was still there.

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon