Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru | Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Definitely not as good as the other Cantillon beers.

3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

Enjoyed at Zwanze Day 2012 at Churchkey

A: Bruocsella is a viscous red-orange with a small white head. The retention is good, but the head is hardly big enough to lace after very long. 4

S: The very first aroma I get out the glass is...orange, sudsy dishsoap. It is also funky, but not particularly tart. The only fruit I get smells like dishsoap sadly. 3

T: The orange comes back on the taste. This time the beer is tart, but only underneath. Overall it leaves a weird aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. 3

MF: Medium body with a lower carbonation than the others we've had today. I didn't find the beer to be all that drinkable. 2.5

O: Not much else to say, I just wasn't feeling this one. 3

3.02/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette.

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

I had held this Cantillon in proper storage for some months now, and yesterday's arrival of a long time friend called for a bit of beer.

The 75cl bottle, unlike other Cantillons did not make a small gas related pop once the cork was drawn. It was the first bad sign.

The pour was almost completely flat, but I reckon other bright lambics aren't all that carbonated. this is much more like a wine than a beer, I said to myself. Appearance-wise, all the rest seemed perfectly normal: nice inside-of-an-apple sort of yellowish tones, a thin layer of bubbles atop.

I guess that was the only bad incident, but the rest of the beer I did not enjoy because it seems to me that it's too much like their other beers. the sour smell was a clear upfront indicator, I could've been drinking any other Cantillon Lambic here. Side-by-sidedness would not help. Plus, it wasn't too carbonated either. and the saltyness I'd felt before was still there.

3.04/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle date of September 5, 2007.

Pots into a Duvel Tulip a gold color with absolutely zero head.

Sour and funky nose. Decaying apple, pear and white wine with cider vinegar.

Tart with no sweetness. Apple cider vinegar with some wood notes. Pretty average at best.

One word to describe the feel: flat.

Quite lackluster in all aspects and certainly not worth the pricetag.

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fairly tannic nose, oaky dry, a little pure apple juice with a dash of dry white wine. Foam nonexistent. Entry in the mouth easy enough but the tannins take advantage very quickly (oak) with this small taste of white wine or cider. Unfortunately a bit too flat. Sour and acid, but without being in abundance, like Cantillon products. However, the beer is too far from a final product to be really interesting.

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

2009 vintage on cork

Bottled August 28th 2009

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with no head at all just some big bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. No lacing, and small alcohol legs on the side. Hopefully it's carbonated.

S- Tons of funk and strong barnyard that immediately makes your mouth salivate in preparation for the sourness. Has a really strong almost off putting grassy earthy nose to it with hints of green apple. Musty old oak and dust.

T- Flat up front. But flavor wise funk up front with fruit flavors of apple and vinous grapes. Behind that is a strong earthy punch of faded grassy hops and mushroom like dirt. Definitely some musty oak in there as well. The more I drink it and it warms the more it tastes like bile. Not good.

M- Medium to lighter body with no carbonation and a decently sour finish.

Overall this beer would be a lot better with carbonation. Hard to drink.

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured from 75cl to a Wine Glass

Appearence: Poured an Amazing hy golden color. No head. But has little bubbles on top like fresh poured wine. Obviously Flat

Aroma: Acidic Sour, Rancid, cheese, mold, Almost smells like toenail fungus to be honest.

Taste: Fresh sliced lemon Juice, watered down and funky, exactly the taste I get, Not malty at all, Not what I was expecting at all. Pretty bland but that is expected. This beer would probably do Great in the cellar for a looong time.

Mouthfeel: Watery, Not dry, or slick, or cloying. Very watery

Overall: Great beer but definantly could not drink it every day like the brewers do. Overall I am Amazed with the beer. However VERY happy I did not pay money for this

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

3.17/5  rDev -19.3%

This was an interesting bottle share over all. Some great beers, and some misses.

3.17/5  rDev -19.3%

One of the few remaining bottles we jammed into our luggage & lugged back from dirty, beautiful Brussels. Capped & corked 750ML bottle spit with my wife (who suitcased half of them).

Pour is clouded orange even leaving the loogie in the bottom, with close to or actuallly zippo in the way of carbonation. Lots of lemon & orange & apple hit the nose, with a strong foundation of tartness (not funk). Interest is piqued.

Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru is razor sharp. Lemon juice you could slash a finger on is paired up oddly with a deep fall mustiness; not really digging the combo. Acidic but not overpoweringly so, & the sour is held in check. Strongly drying oak. Half a bomber of this was too much - could have been split several ways.

Just not digging the stale, just-before-the-snow-flies must that has wound its way into the DNA of this beer. Decent enough, but easily my least favorite of the pantheon we experienced during & after the trip.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

750ml bottled poured inappropriately into my new 3 glass. Bottled on October 20, 2010, brewed October 30, 2007...Pours a really dark dark gold with only light carbonation. No real head rises, a few watery bubbles after you're done pouring. No lacing...The aroma is really light, only gives off some musky horse blanket, a little boring...Taste is also pretty light, shows off lots of oak, spider webs, chalk, musky. Not very sour, a little but more bitter than sour if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of unblended beers, or this wasn't a great batch. Either way, this is the probably the least good Cantillon I've had and can't imagine having this again.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up when I was down in Florida last week, along with a bunch of other nice Cantillon beers. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 02/19/2009.

The pour was decent enough with a clear, dark grape juice looking liquid with only the slightest bit of carbonation sticking to the inside of the glass. The aroma is sour, tart notes, hints of a woody or oak like touch with a vanilla touch to it. Small notes of cherry or some light fruit notes. As I take a taste the feel really throuws me off. It is almost like oily water, no carbontion and slick feeling, really distracting. The bite of tart apples is lightly offset with a touch of vanilla and oak in the finish, nothing too bad at all, but nothing blowing me away. Just a touch one to put down, the tartness was not strong enough and the subtle hints of oak, too light to make a difference. My least favorite Cantillon beer to date.

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. On cask at Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest, organic version. Pours a light orange with no head. Aroma is fruity, but I can't tell which fruit. Flavor of sour funk, oak/wood, cheese. No carbonation. This beer had too much funk/sweat and I was not a fan. Seems that it's better in bottle.
6/3/6/4/13 (3.2/5)

3.22/5  rDev -18.1%

Blind Beer #5 from Khazadum, with the text: "Is this one tastay trip or what?!?". Yes my man, it is.

Glassware recommendations suggest a flute or tulip, and as I open the capped and corked bottle, it screams Belgian at me again. My Cantillon flared wine glass is getting a lot of use in this BIF.

A - This pours a straw-colored yellow, perhaps with a little bit more of orange in it. It is pretty hazy and opaque, and only blurry shadows of my fingers can be seen through it. It is essentially still with no head, but there are very minuscule bubbles sticking to the side of the glass. Likewise, no lacing to go along with this besides the tiniest sliver of foam that makes up a little ring around the edge that makes a little curtain. (3.5/5)

S - Sticking with the trend of the other beers I was sent in this BIF, this smells pretty funky as well. I'm getting a little bit of lactic acidity and sourness in the nose, but it's pretty mild compared to the others Khaz has sent me so far. There's a good amount of citrus in here, especially lemon zest. This is pretty mild on the Brett though and therefore it comes across as quite balanced. (4/5)

T - As in the nose, this is more tart than sour so I'm a little confused as to the style of this. It starts with a nice amount of malt and wood or oak, but the tartness comes soon after. There's actually a lot more complexity in the nose of this one, as the taste is pretty straightforward. The citrus in the nose devolves into essentially just some lemon, and I'm getting something that tastes strangely like chlorine? Not really musty or funky as the nose would suggest, just tart. Even the Brett seems subdued? (3/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with almost no carbonation. Not really mouth-puckering but the tartness does linger a bit. Semi-dry and seems to drink like a white wine. Honestly I can't say I'm a huge fan of the still lambics, as it seems they come across as slightly sour wine. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. Make no mistake, this is pretty easy to drink and isn't offensive, but the nose promises on more than the taste and mouthfeel can deliver on. It's lacking some of those extra layers of complexities and depth that I expect of the traditional Belgian styles. (3/5)

I'm going to peg this as an unblended lambic. Not getting an overwhelming amount of any one fruit to suggest that, and it's not sour or funky enough for a gueuze...

The reveal: Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru. Oh hey my first Cantillon beer and it fits nicely with the glass choice! I'm actually a little surprised that this is from Cantillon, as I've always heard how sour their beers are, but I honestly wasn't getting a ton of sourness in this. I'm also a little surprised that this was from Cantillon as it seems a little... lackluster or lacking in depth, but I'm really glad I got to try it!!

Thanks Khaz, for another excellent choice!

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon