Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru | Brasserie Cantillon

750 ML

Brewed 20/12/2007
Bottled 20/10/2010

Shared with BA GuruDel

App- It was a semi translucent golden orange with a look similar to cooking oil but just a tad thicker and darker. There was 0 head and 0 cling or lace to this beer. Intentionally uncarbonated makes sense being aged in a cask.

Smell- Starts out very white wine like with a little bit of damp pressed tannins and moves over to that little bit of oaky wood flavors. A little bit of citrus zest comes through on a big whiff with a little bit of earthy, damp qualities.

Taste- This was my first unblended lambic I can see why this was a hard to find. A very good introduction beer for wine drinkers. This started out very smooth with a good tannin flavor and a little dampness mixed with apple, pear and green fruit flavors. A little bit in the middle comes the oak notes with a good woody earthy flavors. I missed most of the tart flavors on this one, more subdued

Mouth- A bit of a thinner medium bodied to this one without a prickly carbonation leaving this one to be a bit dryer in areas. A low/medium carbonation that was smooth and left some oak and green apple flavors.

Drink- I don’t have much to compare this too, because this was a different animal. It was supposed to be uncarbed and yet still be more mellow from the cask. I like the profile but needed more pop for me to come back to this flavor profile vs a standard gueuze or lambic

3.49/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Notes dated 3-28-09

Very Hazy yellow to Orange color in my tulip.
Ar/T -Sour, Bitter, Hops are very faint (which is typical for these "YEAST DRIVEN BEERS"). Lacto, and maybe a bit of Brettanomyces are present. Grassy,earthy notes are there.

Had decent carbonation, faint but "there"
nice acid Mouthfeel (is that considered an oximoron)

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

750 ml. bottle corked and capped.Mirky golden,amber hues very thin speckled coating of a head.Very fine dark particles of yeast suspended.

Very sour fruity/acidic aromas,apples/pears slight citrus/lemony and funky yeast with bubble gum and very slight vinegar notes

Very thin,light mouthfeel,acidic,very tart fruitiness,green unripen apples,lemon rind,very earthy with wooden cask notes,very dry husky finish, vinious qualities start to finish with a slight touch of peppery vinegar aftertastes.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle: Poured a clear golden color lambic with no bubble or any carbonation as unblended lambic should be. Aroma of funk and barnyard notes are quite dominant with some stinking cheese notes also noticeable. Taste is also dominated by funk with loads of barnyard note. Body is about average. Not bad though not my favourite - I think a classic gueuze is still better then this.

3.51/5  rDev -10%

The joke was on me the first time I popped one of these. I'm used to popping the crown on Cantillon and not hearing any "psscchhht" of carbonation releasing from the bottle, until my noob ways realized there was still a cork underneath. Well anyways, I'm sure if you've had this beer already, you know where I'm going with this, but for the uninitiated, well, I was real bummed that this one was for real, it was barely/not at all carbonated. Of course I didn't know it is supposed to be that way with this beer, but what the hey.

Looks like a dark gold, flat, listless. Force pour yields next to nothing. Smell is quite nice, gueuze funkiness all over it. Tart barnyard. Substantial malted wheat. Kind of drinks like a sour white wine given its total lack of carbonation. Pretty dry for having no carbonation, you would think it would stick and be heavy, but no.

Regardless of it being traditional as a three year old unblended lambic, it just is light years beyond the enjoyability I get from drinking almost anything else in the Cantillon lineup. Toss this one and Mamouche on their rears, focus on everything else they make, because they're all world class to me when you exclude those two.

3.51/5  rDev -10%

750ml bottle, capped and corked, brewed in 2007, and bottled January 2011. My second crack at finishing off all of the BA styles, since the Iris inexplicably went all Yankee Wild earlier this year.

This beer pours a hazy, medium golden amber hue, with but a few crackling bubbles that result in absolutely no head, nor any lace, which is kind of disconcertingly non-beerish, I gotta say.

It smells of tart white wine grapes, sour apple, mild wheat grain, some tame horsey funk, and earthy hops. The taste starts with the same fermenting white wine must astringency, but is quickly overtaken by a musty, dusty, and softly funky fruitiness, more pithy than tart, a slight dry oaken woodiness, white pepper, mild sodden cereal notes, and some lactic yeastiness.

The carbonation is practically non-existent, just a very subtle burbling way, way down there, the body a quivering medium weight, with a lightly cloying, hollow character that precludes any crazy thoughts of smoothness. It finishes with a muddled wheaty, fruity, yeasty, and funky blend, all of it still making me sort of eager to scrape my tongue.

Bruocsella's resemblance to (surprisingly) low acid white wines and still cider is remarkable. Weird barnyard and yeast flavours are fine, but this experience tells me that I need that distracting, palate-cleaving tang from the fruit acids, which just seems missing here. Kind of strangely bland without it, which is a relative thing, I'm sure - weak sisters, runts and all that.

Edit: it appears that the Iris has been restored to its former style. The machinations of the BA-verse confound me yet.

3.51/5  rDev -10%

European label 2006 vintage. Had at Delaney's in CT. Poured from a 750ml capped and caged bottle into a wine glass.

A: Poured with no head, just a single layer of coarse white bubbles that dissipated immediately. Beer is a cloudy goldenrod. No lacing. This one's near still.

S: Nose is barely detectable on any level and I really have to breathe deep to get anything. Slight hints of lemon rind, wood, cobwebs, and cheesiness. Also a bit of apple skin mixed in. Not aromatic at all and this one barely smells of anything even after it warms up.

T: Opens just a tad watery. Notes of lemon rind, citrus, apple tartness, and old, wet wood. A little one dimensional at times. Sourness maintains a moderate level throughout. Funky cheesiness appears for a moment right towards the end but fades quickly. Finishes with apple skin and yeast. Near no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, fluffy, and near still. Since this one's no really carbonated, it maintains a nice, smooth oiliness in the mouth. Filmy on the palate and silky going down. Finish is slightly accented with near no aftertaste.

D: This one reminds me a bit of JP's Lambicus Dexterius. A bit more flavor here though and an appreciated lack of hop bitterness. Nose could use some work but overall, a very solid lambic and one I wouldn't hesitate to pick up and age at some point.

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Originally reviewed March 25, 2007. 750mL thanks to Dr. Bill. Horsey wild grunge with an almost lemon goat cheese lactic flush. Mexican cilantro floralness kicks in and runs through the nostrils. Pours a clouded pale gold. Crushing sour tannic flavor, with raging earthy mustiness. Sewer notes? Very parching and old, with fresh bandages. Astonishing acidity and finishes with a hop-lavender flutter. Smacks on lemon pith. A little coarse and biting, but somewhat endearing.

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

I was handed a glass of this unusual beer at a small party this evening and I was told it was something special from Belgium. I put my nose to it right away to ascertain it values after being told it was a lambic. I thought the fragrances of tart apples and fruit were going to knock me out or at least scare me away from enjoying it.

The first taste was a very spicy and tart flavor that made me question, like many other Belgian beers I had tasted recently, was this made from apples and hard cider. I put the glass down to taste the home brewed version of Poor Richard's I had made with great success. It's smooth sweet flavor contrasted well with the lambic which I thought may have needed more time to settle.

I remarked that while this could be found at Whole Foods, I didn't think it would be served in Shea stadium anytime soon as one needed a lot of time to go over it to find its reason of being.

750mL bottle -- bottled March 9th 2010 -- served into a tulip glass

Pours a dark, hazy burnt orange color. It's murky and not really attractive in any sense. This is gonna' be a flat beer -- there's only the faintest gaggle of bubbles. No head to speak of.

This is straight, unblended lambic. It lacks the artful blending of a gueuze. So the aromas and flavors here are raw, sometimes harsh. The nose is full of vinegar. Not even a fancy kind of vinegar -- rice wine or apple cider or balsamic or etc. -- just straight up white vinegar. There's damp wood. There's some general barnyard notes. There's a musty/savory quality here that reminds me of Taiwanese braised pork belly. Lots of sharp, pungent tart notes.

The vinegar carries over to the palate. This bottle tastes like a plate of mustard greens soused with white vinegar. Tart in a similar way to, like, Komboucha. There's some oak here. A bit of lemon juice. A bit of, like, dandelion. Oh, that's it: dandelion wine. This tastes a lot like some homemade dandelion wine. A Bretty finish. It's strong and it's rough and it's a lot to handle. But pretty tasty.

The mouthfeel? Hahahahaha. It's flat. Tomme Arthur would be proud of this beer. Despite the nearly 100% lack of carbonation, this beer registers as nearly medium-bodied. There's some body as you swallow.

Overall, this is an above average lambic. It's meant to be this raw look into true lambic beer, and it achieves that. NOT for the lambic neophyte, but worth a try.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Brewing date 2005, bottling date 2007

A: Very appealing golden orange color with great clarity. No signs of carbonation, as one expects from straight lambic.

S: Pure classic Cantillon. Bright lemony sharpness and funky barnyard and hay

T: Funk, funk, and more funk. Not super sour, but tart and strongly minerally with an astringency that grows and a little more bitterness than I'd expect.

M: Somewhat thin which, when combined with being uncarbonated, ends up feeling like something is a bit lacking. Finishes with a ton of mouth-scraping astringency.

O: This is pretty interesting to have tried, and grows on me a little bit, but I think that overall it's not for me. I'll probably stick with gueuze.

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again.

3.54/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very underwhelming. Love the flavor and idea but the head, mouth feel and even flavor suffers from a straight-out flatness. Ripe pear in the nose, slick mouth feel and a pleasant tartness of fallen apples. Tartness fades and depth is lost ... Not worth the high price tag at all.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

On Cask @ Monk's, 2/13/09, poured 13oz, it appears a golden wheat, cloudy, almost visibly saturated with bacteria. Did I mention this has absolutely no head on it. Resembles a cup of urine, sampled from a dehydrated & infected patient. I use this analogy in the best light possible.

Smell -- Grenadine & Vinegar

Tastes like sucking on a piece of birch. No wait, watered down Koolaid. Or more like the liquid whey at the top of a plain, sour Eastern European style yoghurt. wait wait wait.. more like a glass of lemon water that has been sitting for 12hrs full of toothpicks and one pickled cherry. Yes, tart... I s'pose dominated by a hint of woody cherry in the finish. the mouthfeel, with the absence of carbonation, is extremely light, almost indistinguishable from a particulated water.

D-- dit is extreem

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Very different than most other Cantillon offerings. This was a vintage 2012 bottle, extremely funky on the nose, no carbonation and low sour / acidity profile.

Not my thing.....least favorite Cantillon by far.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Gotta get to the aroma quickly – first, the pour. Clear apple cider orange, no head even with aggressive pours into the ol’ Corsendonk tulip.

But brother, is that some funk! Musty barnyard, yum! Actually, not a bad smell, just so funky different. Sour apple tart taste, like a cider that’s sat out too long. Light bodied with hidden carbonation – a definite sour sipper, the 5% is easy on the head. Too sour for me to make this a regular in the beer fridge.

Some string provel cheese will go nicely with the next glass.

278th Review
75cl poured into a Loon tulip
Bottled: 28 August 2010 (2007 vintage)
BB: 12/2020

A: Bright golden hue. A few bubbles, but no real head on vigorous pour.

S: Classic Loon lambic funk here - must, aged cheese, dry/cracked wheat. Touch of lemon and maybe a hint of vinegar too.

T: Rounded notes of barnyard funk, slight citrus zest, and sharp acidity. Rather bold with regards to the oak character her, but not too overpowering either. Soft white grape and hints of lemon towards the end. Good, but not great.

M: Light bodied and flat. No carbonation.

O: An okay Loon, but the lack of carbonation is too distracting for me at the end of the day. I envision this being a great beer if it were carbonated. I'll definitely seek out some other vintages of this though.

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Three year old organic version bottle. Thanks to foofaa for the share.

A - Pours murky golden amber with no head at all leaving no lace at all.

S - Smells of a moderate amount of funk, mild basement must, some light horse blanket funk, dash of grass and a bit of lactic sourness. Probably the most mild of all the Cantillon's I have tried.

T - Starts off with some wet basement must and a decent amount of lactic sourness quickly giving way to hints of mild barnyard funk, some fresh grass and some damp earth. Finish is kind of a mix of everything with a bit of extra tartness, not lingering overly long on the palate.

M - Medium body with no carbonation at all. The lack of carb leads to a slick, slippery feel that flows freely across the palate.

O - I enjoy a still lambic every now and then but I still prefer them to be carbonated. I like the aromas and flavors but this just isn't one of the Cantillon's I would seek out. Great to try it but that was fine for me.

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

2007 Lambic, August 2010 Bottled

Pours a murky golden yellow with no head as expected. Some air bubbles at the top.

The aroma is musty and lemony with a distinct dry oaky backbone. Some nutty earthiness as well.

The flavor is muddled and oaky...very unique. As a huge fan of gueuze and all things lambic, I really love to get a chance to sample the building blocks. Truthfully, the flavor here is not all that great but it is still fun to drink and examine.

The body is light and dry and flat as expected. Overall I really enjoyed this beer as an experience much more than as a tasty drink. I probably wouldn't buy it again other than as an experiment in long term aging, but nonetheless I highly recommend this to anyone even if it is merely a way to learn to appreciate the sheer beauty and art of gueuze blending.

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a clear golden, almost orange color with almost zero head and carbonation. Lots of sour funk upon popping the cork. Great sour funkiness with sour apples and pears. Also get some very floral notes as well. Taste is very apple forward with great lemon flavors. The flatness on the carbonation is really turning me off from this beer though. It makes me sad because this beer would be AMAZING with some good carbonation. This drink more like a wine (I'm not a big wine fan). It does finish dry and nicely sour though. Drinkability is not very high due to this carbonation factor.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

A: The pour is a golden/yellow straw color with maybe a kiss of orange. No head at all.

S: The nose is quite grassy and "green", if you will. Some lemons, green apples, and a definite earth. Not the most aggressive of the Cantillon's in terms of nose.

T: The flavor is a bit bland as well. Fairly earthy, some mild mustiness, and grapefruit, lemons, and oak pretty much make up the flavor.

M: The body is medium with a slick feel on the tongue due to the relative lack of carbonation.

D: Probably the most lackluster of all the Cantillon lambics I've had. Not much depth of flavor, but perhaps I need to try an aged bottle of this.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful pour, great aroma, but undone by flavors that are just a little too funky for my palate. Watery, thin, and sour, but with too much mustiness for me.

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%

Cork date says 2009. Poured into an oversized snifter.

A: pours a golden orange color. Zero head or lace. I guess this is typical of true lambics, but I can't help but feel like something's missing here.

S: sourness right off the bat, yeast, fruit, booze in the background.

T: sour through and through (shock!). Yeast adds some really interesting complexity with tons of funk that I can taste/feel but not accurately describe. A touch of sweetness in the middle turns mildly bitter and dry by the finish. Truly interesting, but I can't say that I love (or hate) it.

M/D: light-bodied, oily, minimal carbonation. Not difficult to drink from a purely straightforward perspective, but I couldn't see myself wanting to polish off more than this single glass.

I typically tell beer newbies that lambics are a "love it or hate it" style, but I somehow find myself right in the middle of this gamut. Lambics aren't really my thing, but I do enjoy them in moderation from time to time. And pretty much anything from Cantillon is special (and worth trying), this one included. Cheers!

3.59/5  rDev -7.9%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, '07 Vintage,

A: Pours a lightly hazy orange, with a real small head, fair retention.

S: Lactic funk, apples, wet wool.

T: Sour apple cider, lemon juice, acetic acid make up the main flavour, with a smattering of wheat malt. Nice enough, but not wowing.

M: On the thin side, dry, light-bodied, low carbonation, moderately acidic.

D: A nice beer from Cantillon, I can't say I was terribly impressed since I hold Cantillon in such high regard, but I'm glad I finally got to try another one of their beers.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottled in 2005.

Pours a crystal clear orange yellow color with virtually no head at all despite a vigorous pour.

Nose is full of lactic wild yeast and some slight lemon zest. Alot of wood in the nose also.

Totally flat. The flavor is good with alot of funk and clear lactic wild yeast. However, the total lack of carbonation makes this difficult to enjoy. I understand that that can be fairly common for an unblended lambic, but it still sucks.

Mouthfeel is good as far as viscosity, but totally flat, so hard to give this one any good marks here.

Drinkability would probably be decent if it had some bubbles, haha.

Overall, seems like it could be a good lambic, and tastes pretty good, just dead flat, which i really don't enjoy.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon