Blåbær Lambik

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Blåbær LambikBlåbær Lambik
Notes: Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten
Reviews: 262 | Ratings: 846 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by deekyn:
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

3.57/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle shared at Cantillon before the Moeder Lambic tasting last weekend. Been holing onto to this bottle to share at the real source. Thanks for hanging out gents!

From a 37,5cl bottle into a tasting glass
Vintage: 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium looking, foamy, white head with lousy retention. Head fades down to a ring rather quickly. A nice maroon red color, hazy, with no carbonation evident. A ring remains but leaves no lacing on the glass. A nice color, but rather unimpressive head.

SMELL: Quite nice. Funky acidic notes, with lots of berries and some tart lemon aromas on the nose. Reminds me mostly of pomegranate aromas, strangely enough. Rather enjoyable and well balanced between the fruit and funky lambic.

TASTE: Not quite as impressive as the aroma, unfortunately. A little empty up front with some acidic sourness initially. Tart lemon flavors and some sweetness from the berries come through the middle into the swallow. Bolder flavors come out after the swallow with acidic, tart lemon, light funk and some sweet pomegranate lingering on the palate. Sweet fruit with tart lemon and acidic notes linger on the palate. Rather nice and well balanced after the swallow, though a touch empty up front.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy and smooth enough on the palate, lighter, goes down fine and finishes dry and slightly puckering. A strange sensation of pomegranate slivers stick to the back of the throat, like you were drinking the juice.

OVERALL: This is a solid fruited lambic for sure. Very enjoyable, and on the same level as many of their other fruited lambics. The berries are rather subdued compared to some of the other examples of the style, but that is part of the art in building complexity. I also wouldn't necessarily describe the flavor as blue or blackberries, as pomegranate tastes, and feels, much more accurate here. Nevertheless, this was enjoyable and I was very happy to finally drink this one at the source. Cheers gents!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lots of people told me to not believe the hype on this beer. I just think it's impossible to get the strong blueberry taste like you do with a peach or raspberry lambic. This beer was one of the best blueberry lambic/sours I've ever had. I had it along side a lot of different blueberry beers and this one was one of the top 3. the funk was soft and the sour notes were very light but it was very smooth and I'd definitely trade high for this again

4.14/5  rDev -9.2%

Huge thanks to danieelol for sharing. 375mL bottle split 4 ways. Reviewed from notes.

Gorgeous crimson with a surprisingly resilient small white head which picks up some of the colouring from the beer. Abates to a collar. Looks lovely.

Nose shows delightfully honed acidity. Surprisingly modest blueberry but beautiful integration. Lightly musty, musky and tannic.

The base Cantillon gueuze is quite conspicuous. Blueberry is again mellow but seamlessly integrated. Base gueuze notes of jalapeno and lemon are well represented.

Assertive sourness but definitely much reduced compared with most other Loons. Mild tannins. Satisfying and great drinkability.

Only had about 3 oz which probably biases my rating downwards, as this seemed uncharacteristically subtle and restrained (for Cantillon), the sort of beer that takes a bit more volume to deconstruct.

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A huge, HUGE thank you to the most awesome Jeffo for casually tossing this in the box he sent in probably the biggest trade I've done. I just about fell off my chair when I pulled this out, my biggest want for as long as I can remember.

3rd 40th birthday beer of the day. 2011 375ml bottle.

Appearance. Pours a nice looking, hazy, purplish-pink with s finger + of pink head with a hint of blue.

Smell. Nice and sour with that great woody funk, classic cantillon funk that is. Sour blueberries are there for sure ...the little wild sour ones that grow on the mountain, not the big fat sweet ones that are farmed out this way. Not sure what else to say, blueberry cantillon lambic, fuck yeah.

Taste. Oh man, sour blueberries, so tasty. Lots of that nice woody funk that anyone who's tried Cantillon knows and loves. It's a medium level of sourness and the blueberries are there, but a little more faint than I had imagined. Not like blueberry juice or anything, just amazing lambic complimented with the nice blueberries.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, fine medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Expectations were high and I was not let down. Fantastic stuff. Wish it was part of the regular line up. Again, huge cheers to Jeffo for this bottle of blueberry heaven.

3.84/5  rDev -15.8%

Let me precurse this review by saying how excited and full of anticipation I was to finally have a chance to try this brew...

750ml bottle, '11 inscribed on the bottom of the label with silver marker. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a deep purple color. A pink frothy head sits atop the brew and gets revived to a full finger's strength when lightly swirled. When held to the light, ruby coloration shows through the body and despite a careful pour, some tiny spots of what looks like blueberry skin rests on the bottom of the glass.

The smell of this brew is primarily funky with notes of plastic while it is chilled. Some indications of cheese and earthy fruit start to evolve as the brew warms up. It also has a mild almost medicinal touch about it. When the glass is swirled, only then do berry tinges come out and blend through the aroma. Once warm, this brew picks up a sort of damp woodsy character from the barrel aging. While not the most fragrant, bright or upfront fruit scent to a beer, it is well rounded and enjoyable.

The taste is funky primarily with plastic notes upfront. I won't sugar-coat my first impression; it is slightly disappointing considering the unrealistic aura surrounding this brew. As it warms up, it turns earthy and pitted with a light medicinal touch. The berry inclusion here gets increasingly earthy with a wet and almost moldy wood feel to it. There is a spice of alcohol that comes out across the back as the brew warms up. It is tart and rich in berry flavor once warm which is pleasant considering the initial let down.

This is a light bodied brew with a perfect amount of modest carbonation. It is lively enough in the mouth but not overdone and distracting. There is a solid mix of flavor/character to take in with lots of earthy tones. However, the initial impact of plastic and light nail polish remover was quite unwelcomed and didn't blend well with the rest of the brew. This offering was somewhat dry on the tongue which increased its overall salivation factor and ease of drink ability. It carries with it almost a cooling aspect about it in the back of the throat.

After the fact consideration: While glancing over other reviews, I don't see mention of some of the unpleasant character I picked up on in this. It makes me wonder just how variable some bottles can be. This is something I wouldn't mind trying again but it most certainly is not worth the price of admission. It is not the best fruit lambic I have had, it's not even the best Cantillon offering available. The sheer amount of blueberries that had to be packed in this to discolor the brew to the deep purple it is, is amazing. Unfortunately, that excitement/impression doesn't easily transpire to the same degree in either the flavor or aroma.

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage at Himmeriget in Copenhagen.

Awesome looking beer, dark purple with lots of visible bubbles.

As soon as you open the bottle, the smell of blueberries smacks you in the face. Pouring it and sniffing into the glass shows what a great lambic is all about. The blueberries mingle with sour, funky notes, with hints of raspberries. I could smell this for hours...

Taste follows the nose, very pronounced blueberries with a bit of raspberry, and just the right acidity.

Mouthfeel is bubbly and lively, way too easy to drink!

This is one of the best sours I've had, perfect balance, gorgeous too look at and the nose is amazing. Manages to live up to the ridiculous hype surrounding it.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

2011 Version 37.5cl

A- Purple body with a nice pink head.

S- Lots of funk. Blueberries are the second smell, and you can smell the acidity as well.

T- Very sour and acidic. Also tastes of oak. I get a very minor blueberry flavor very late, but I wonder if I would notice it if I wasn't looking for the blueberries.

M- Tartness, but not nearly as sour as some other Cantillon lambics. Medium body, and perfectly carbonated.

O- Overall a really good lambic. I was a bit let down with how minimal the blueberries were though.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.91/5  rDev -14.3%

2009 Batch II

A - A very, very dark red. About two fingers of a pinkish head that laced very nicely.

S - Lots of fruity berry goodness, including what seems to be blueberries. Little bit funky with some nice tart sweetness.

T - This was nice, but kind of disappointing given what I was hearing my friends say about it. A buddy of mine drank it with me and he said Batch 1 was significantly better. Has a funky blueberry taste, but not quite as sweet an tart as I was hoping. Little yeasty, and a little bit of heavier flavor than I wanted.

M - Syrupy and medium bodied, slightly creamy, nice carbonation, but would have preferred it a touch lighter.

D - Sweet and unoffensive, so it's pretty easy to drink. Not a session beer so to speak, but an easy drinker.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes.

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Okay so I decided to pop this one open after a great vacation in San Diego where I got to drink some amazing sours. (Consecration, Red Poppy: draft and bottle, Framboise de Amorosa, and Isabelle Proximus). Had so many great ones this week why the hell not try out the top rated sour?

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with this beer I had been trying to get it forever.

2009 bottle poured 7-11-10 into my Lost Abbey stem glass.

A: I haven't seen many, maybe one or two, beers near this color. It is a deep reddish purple. It poured with about 3 fingers of a fluffy pink head that stayed around for a good while. The head is still lingering around the edges. I give the glass a swirl and it looks like strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Amazing.

S: This one starts off with the familiar sour smell, and a nice fruity tartness. Breathing in deeper reveals a good bit of funk, like sweaty horseblanket barnyard funk. Why does that make it appealing to me? More fruit is showing up now, blueberries, maybe some cranberry.

T: Pretty sour and tart. It has the type of sour that you get from unripe berries, however not really a lot of blueberry but it is there and it is really good. Very sour in the middle, and a very soft touch of blueberries to finish it out.

M: Very smooth.

D: This is a very drinkable sour and... THE MOST FUCKING EPIC SPILL I COULD POSSIBLY EVERY HAVE!! JUST UNDER HALF A GLASS OF BLABAER DEDICATED TO MY CARPET. WTF!

This beer definitely gets a 1 on the "how easy is it to get out of a carpet" category.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is crazy good!

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. not quite sure who contributed this one, but thanks!

750ml corked and capped bottle.

pours a beautiful nearly clear pinkish purple colour with a small pink head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. blueberry. leather and horse blanket. caramel and vanilla. earthy and herbal. lemon.

taste is great. blueberry. mellow sourness. big horse blanket and leather character. less fruit-specific than in the aroma, but it's definitely there. tart cherry and blueberry.

mouthfeel is great. medium-light body with a super dry finish. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. great fruit. great depth. restrained sourness.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon