Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 243 | Ratings: 758
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle thanks to callmemickey. I believe this is batch 4 or 5.

Pours solid purple with beautiful pink bubbly head that lingers for minutes. Aroma is easily dominated by blueberry, but has some great lemon and orange along with earthy funk/horse blanket. Taste is mild honey sweetness then great tartness. A little vanilla on the finish but then a lingering blackberry taste on the tongue. Great tartness, well balanced and good carbonation. Another incredible lambic from Cantillon.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4 375ml bottle courtesy of and split with beeruser.

Had a serious "oh shit" moment opening this beer. After he took off the cap, we could see foam coming up around the side of the cork. Oh shit... But upon removing the cork, there was delayed reaction gushing. Luckily almost all made it into our glasses, and the head settled to a 1cm crown for the duration of the experience. Very impressive, but no lace. The color was amazing. Striking deep purplish body with an almost sickly pink and purple head. Smelled like typical Cantillon funk/vinegar with blueberry, blackberry, and old shit thrown in. Yeah.
This is the first blueberry beer I've ever had where I could taste the blueberry enough to truly identify and appreciate it.
Not nearly as sour or acidic as I had expected. Classic Gueze, Kriek, and Gambrinus were more sour to me. Started out tart, and transitioned to blueberry on the finish. At least at first. Halfway through my glass, essence of citrus, earth, grapes, blueberries, and funk weaved themselves together with no regard for my dumb ass trying to keep up with it. Unbelievable complexity. Medium mouthfeel, carbonation kind of reminds your tongue of it's role in life. Smooth finish, somewhat dry, and lingers just enough for you to want another and another.

Truly amazing beer, but not one of a kind. I could (and probably will) give a review very similar to this one to Vigneronne, Classic, and especially St. Lamvinous. It's not miles ahead of any of those. But it is miles ahead of the competition.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review # 444. Huge thanks to Steasy66 for sharing this beer. I am glad that I know the right people!

Deep pink-purple hued with a light purple head. Good head and good retention. Very clean aroma with no vinegar whatsoever, an instant hit in my book. Somewhat sweet with tart and bright berry notes and only mild hints of funk.

Taste is a clean, lactic and mild sour with strong berry notes. Very very blueberry. I was pleasantly surprised that my "robust" palate could detect the blueberries, they must have used a lot!

Medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish. Very very good.

4.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

thanks to Sean9689 for trading this treat to me!

375ml bottle; vintage 2012; batch 8.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: an opaque medium reddish purple bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head that drops down quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: fruity and funky sour beer with a touch of vinegar. This beer has a well balanced nose between with the fruit and the funk. Blueberry skins with musty and dusty funk.

Taste: Blueberries that are both sweet and tart. Also some notes of red berries as well. Nice oak barrel presence that is tannic and its earthy too. The funk flavor is both musty basement and wet straw. This beer has a nice sour pucker that is about a 5.5 out of 10. Tastes similiar to a sweetart candy. Finish gets much funkier as it warms...the musty funk really transforms into that horse blanket sweaty funk that Cantillion is know for. A hint of lemon, grapefruit, and berries in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation isnt as aggressive as most Cantillions that I have drank. It has more of a delicate carbonation that comes alive and epperveses as it hits your tongue. I do think that this beer could use just a little more carbonation. Semidry finish.

Overall: Yeah, this beer is wonderful. It is officially my new favorite Cantillion sour. I gotta say that its awesome to finally try this beer that I have been after for a while now.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

*** Update after opening an '09 in Oct 2012. Been fortunate enough to try both the 2011 (b7) and 2009 (b4, I think) vintages recently. Both shared a gorgeous appearance unique to the style yet were wildly different from each other in every other regard.

The '11 emitted an exceptionally pungent aroma of fresh, juicy blueberries that would make most muffin aficionados jealous. It's on the *very* short list of aromas that would get a 10/10 from me. Taste was rather mild and boring, though. Almost watery with barely any funk or tartness.

The '09 was exactly its opposite: nose lacked depth and pungency while the taste showed matured fruits, funk, classic Cantillon acidity, and an overall level of refinement that simply isn't in the fresher bottle.

Blabaer is the perfect example of the "<girl 1>'s face on <girl 2>'s body" dilemma in beer.

*** Original review of the 2011: ***

375ml bottle split 3 ways, thanks to my new Swedish buddy! 2011 vintage.

I started trading beer specifically to acquire a bottle of Blabaer for my brother's 30th birthday last year, and although that mission was unsuccessful, it's heightened my anticipation of trying this lambic tremendously. Being the good brother I am, I saved a small pour of this for my brother (using a wine stopper) and presented it to him the next evening. Anyway, on with the review!

Deep, dark blueish/red color; almost purple. Let's make my 5th grade science teacher happy and call it indigo. Head is a similar color, and there's plenty of it.

A luscious aroma of freshly picked blueberries and wild yeast fills my nostrils. Smells like the juice from squeezing a ripe blueberry between your fingers, yet it also somehow reminds me of opening the can of tiny berries inside a box of Sarah Lee muffin mix. All I know is this smells incredible!

...but unfortunately the taste isn't on the same level. Blabaer is plenty acidic, yet only mildly sour. Most of the flavors are here, though it could use more funk and overall sourness. More depth and boldness of flavor would do wonders. Finishes a little watery. It did improve as it approached room temperature, but it wasn't served particularly cold in the first place. All three of us were equally disappointed with the taste. :(

Much like the Kate we opened immediately prior to this, Blabaer seems to suffer from hype syndrome. That said, this is still a very good lambic, and I'd love to try an older vintage.

...But honestly, I'm pretty sure I prefer Fou'Foune.

Rusty golden
fluffy head
smells of sour blues and bread

taste is tart
bready too
quite wild as well but not too blue

Mouthfeel creamy
finish dry
I could drink this every Fri.

Cantillon it does the trick
when you want a special kick
super sour but not too much fruit
I'd love a case of this in my car boot

4.36/5  rDev -3.5%

Vintage 2007. Sampled at a private party at GABF.

Poured an amazing hazy purple with a tight pink head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint blueberries in the background.

The flavor was moderately tart for a Cantillon beer. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The blueberry flavor was very subdued and in the background. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was high and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks Spencer!

750ml Batch 5 2009

Dark plum in color with a tan pinkish head that retains lightly in a ring at the edge.

Funky berry nose that comes through sort of sweet and sour.

Puckering and dry. Vinegar like with tons of berry flavor. I caught a touch of sweetness in the flavor as well but not many other people at the tasting did. Maybe it was something I had on my palate from before tasting this one. None the less a very good flavor overall.

Medium-light mouthfeel with some ok carbonation. Not very impressive on this front.

Pretty fairly drinkable but not outrageous here either.

I am eager to try Batch 2 of this beer. From what I hear that is a real treat!

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Another whale opened for our sour tasting. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Deep, watermelon red color. The pour produced a pinkish head that faded to a thin rim.

A: Strong berries up front. I get notes of raspberries, strawberries, and yes the blueberries. I also get herbal notes, and notes of citrus spice.

T: Amazing how the blueberries come through. I have had a lot of blueberry beers, but the berries are more prevalent in this than any other. Good amount of bitter sourness and nicely sweet.

M: Medium body. High carbonation and tingely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty high. The sweet tartness will limit it some, but we're really just splitting hairs. Overall this is one fantastic beer, and one of the highlights of the night. Big thanks to Dave for sharing. Skal.

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

The 2005 Cantillon Blåbær poured a clear, golden orange amber. It looked like beautiful sparkling resin. It smelled like slightly sweet grape, touch of berry, touch of cereal and horseblanket funky sour. It tasted incredibly sour, pucker lemon, funky-cole-madina, lots of oak with a touch, and I mean a touch of berry. It was good. I was aching for a bit more fruit; but don't get me wrong, Cantillon has an amazing capacity to create incredible back-of-your-throat sour lemon puckers, which a lot of people love and crave. And it was good; I just wanted a bit more complexity and fruit flavor like in some of their other beers.

The 2007 Cantillon Blåbær Batch II poured the most beautiful color I have ever seen in a beer. I wanted to just stare at it all night long. It was this incredibly sparkling, brilliant ruby red with a touch of aubergine. Absolutely gorgeous. It smelled like a bucket of tart blueberries. It tasted like tart cranberries, tart blueberries, oak and back of your throat pucker sour. This had the complexity I was looking for. The beer starts tart to sour and then metamorphose into ripe and tart blueberries with the oak rounding out the transition. Beautiful. Elegant.

The 2009 Cantillon Blåbær was the weakest link of the evening. It poured a cloudy, murky mahogany. It smelled like mulled cider mixed with berry pie. It tasted a little apple cider-y, with hint of cinnamon, sour green apple and cranberry. It was not much to my liking, but it actually helped when it was paired with dessert.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

375ml bottle 2010. Thanks to Schmaltzy for the split

A- Pours a darker ruby hue and 2 fingers of pink head that died to a light pink layer of head that remained for the entire drink, slight lacing but not much.

S- My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness. Both fresh, tart blueberry and sweet blueberry preserves.. Very tart and dry blueberry flavor that leaves your mouth watering before you take your first sip, it entices you to drink it.

T- Sour blueberry immediately then finishes with a huge dry hay/funk finish. The funk on this beer does not end... 3-5min funk finish. Ahhh very impressive. As the beer warms the beer changes... overwhelming crisp sourness is replaced by even more funk. I

M- Nice light body with loads of carbonation that cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting to drink more of this beer. My mouth is still watering after each sip. An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour, funk and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

D- I would love to sample this one again.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Okay so I decided to pop this one open after a great vacation in San Diego where I got to drink some amazing sours. (Consecration, Red Poppy: draft and bottle, Framboise de Amorosa, and Isabelle Proximus). Had so many great ones this week why the hell not try out the top rated sour?

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with this beer I had been trying to get it forever.

2009 bottle poured 7-11-10 into my Lost Abbey stem glass.

A: I haven't seen many, maybe one or two, beers near this color. It is a deep reddish purple. It poured with about 3 fingers of a fluffy pink head that stayed around for a good while. The head is still lingering around the edges. I give the glass a swirl and it looks like strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Amazing.

S: This one starts off with the familiar sour smell, and a nice fruity tartness. Breathing in deeper reveals a good bit of funk, like sweaty horseblanket barnyard funk. Why does that make it appealing to me? More fruit is showing up now, blueberries, maybe some cranberry.

T: Pretty sour and tart. It has the type of sour that you get from unripe berries, however not really a lot of blueberry but it is there and it is really good. Very sour in the middle, and a very soft touch of blueberries to finish it out.

M: Very smooth.

This beer definitely gets a 1 on the "how easy is it to get out of a carpet" category.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #300 and my first ever Cantillon. 375ml bottle, 2009 vintage, poured into AVBC snifter.

A: Pours an opaque dark purple with a billowing soft looking bright pink head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick fuzzy film. This has got to be one of the coolest and most interesting colored beers I've seen.
S: Complex and tart notes of lemon zest, mixed berries, and bretty funk. Smells like un-ripened red berries sitting on top a bale of hay that is left in a damp basement.
T: Not as tart or sour as I was expecting. Rather sweet actually. Blueberry juice flavors mix well with a musty attic notes and some acidic hints of citrus. Aftertaste is full of sour grapefruit or lemon pith. Flavors are all well integrated and mellow enough so that not one aspect dominates.
M: Carbonation froths up on the palate over the medium body and rich, soft mouthfeel. Finish is pretty dry, but not intensely so, with a fair amount of gritty tannins. Very refreshing. The light tartness doesn't overpower any of the delicate fruit flavors.
D: Overall a very good beer with great flavor and mouthfeel, but not one that I feel I would ever need to seek out again. This is great, yes, but there are plenty of easier to get beers that are just as good. Don't get me wrong though, this is pretty world class.

4.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml into a tulip, this is a 2011.

Pours a deep purplish, crimson color with a light pink head of about a finger. Head sticks around for a bit, then dies down to a light foaming around the edges of the glass.

Big horsey funk and mild blueberry jam on the nose. Some vinous notes, plenty of sour and a touch of oak tannin. Much funkier than I expected.

Huge vinous notes with a bit of blueberry. Lots of funk on the tongue as well, and plenty of barrel and sour notes. Not a super balanced taste, gives way to much more funk than fruit in my opinion.

Spritzy and medium body with a very dry finish. Spot on for a lambic.

Good funk with a mild blueberry presence among oak and vinous notes. Overall, I would say this does not live up to the hype. Is it an outstanding beer? Of course. But don't trade away the farm. Try it if you have the opportunity but don't lose sleep over it.

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle 375, first Cantillon rating after having multiple of there offerings multiple times.

A- wow, what a great looking pour. Cloudy purple, pinkish blue. Have never seen a beer this color. Nice one finger pink/cream head
S- The smell really through me off on this. The first wiff is of Band Aids and it was pretty prominent. As it opens up with some movement, that subsides and is replaced by fresh blueberries. The more it sits and breaths, the more the blueberries start to make an appearance. There is a light tart smell to it and small red berry aroma as well.
T- Slightly sour up front with a fresh blueberry puree finish. That sums up the taste of this one, from start to finish that is what I got.
M-This is a thick lambic. It is still relatively a light bodied beer but has some weight to it. It has a dry finish, leaving you mouth yearning for more.

Overall, I am really glad that I got to taste this much sought after Whale of mine. I would love to get more. This is one of a kind as far as the sours that I have had. I would love to open a new batch bottle to see what its like and to see if that Band Aid smell was just part of the aging on the one i had.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

Enjoyed a nice little pour of this prior to the start of our Zwanze celebration at La Cave a Bulles with Simon and our crew.

Pours a wine like violet color with a decent head.
The aroma is killer, blueberries and ripe fruit.

Unfortunately the taste couldn't live up to the nose, few do...nice rounded tartness with a hint of funk. Obviously a solid blueberry note throughout and a nice lingering juiciness...a little puckering I suppose.

It was great, but not nearly as epic as it's made out to be. If I end up in Copenhagen anytime soon, I will certailnly seek out a few bottles to add to the cellar. Regardless, it's another one I can happily check off the list and am happy to have tried it.

Thanks Boss!

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of kramer (thanks Jason!).

Poured a darker reddish, pinkish, amber color with a smaller sized pinkish head. Aromas of funkiness, barnyard, blueberries, and yeast. Tastes of leather, funk, yeast, and tart blueberries.

I really dug the funkiness and the way the blueberries were done on this one.

Notes from and tasted on 10/7/07.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing the 2014 edition. A very pleasant beer. Subtle cheesy funk on top of a floral blueberry aroma. Taste follows, tart blueberry meat and a touch of structure from the skins. The truest taste of a warm summer blueberry I've had, but lacking depth. I sense that you need something of a neutral background for this delicate flavor to avoid being swallowed. As a canvass for showcasing that ephemeral flavor, excellent. But lacking the complexity and layers of many other lambic. An incredible summer beer though if only it were relatively easy to acquire.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - A pretty purple/magenta and brown hues. Light purple head.

S - Sharp, acrid, raspberry.

T - Nice fruit, sour bite, flavor of blueberry, raspberry and pomegranite.

M - LIght body, good carbonation and balance.

D - A nice beer. Maybe a little overhyped, but I was glad to finally try it.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Enormous gratitude goes out to lurchingbeast for sending this along in a recent BIF. Not being a dedicated whale-hunter, I figured I wouldn't get to sample this, & oh well, but hey! Look! It's here! 375ML bottle with a blue label & no apparent year - the cork has 2010 printed on it. Pulled out to celebrate my wife's <number censored> birthday.

Pop the cork out & can't resist a whiff, & it's good. The pour is purlishreddishbluish with plenty of emotion in the head. Nose is like nothing I've sensed: plenty of blueberry, but bone-dry, almost leathery. No sour overdrive. Me likes.

Blåbær Lambik drinks like I think a sour should: sour plus something else. Lovely tartness up front, of course, but not tearing the enamel off the sink twenty feet away, & the blueberries add to it nicely. The berries aren't the sweet berry you'd pick off a bush in the wilderness (sigh, I'd like to do that, but it's winter), but dry, dusty, unripe berries. Bit of vinegar mid-bite. Dry, dry, dry. I am sucking this down. It's like a pleasantly harshed up version of my favorite fruit juice.

Now I've had it & this - this is what lambics/wilds should be like, the sour & tartness playing off other aspects of the beer rather than being an exercise in facial contortions. Mind-blowing? No. Excellent? Certainly. Very glad to try it.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

Received this brew from beerbeagle in a recent trade. I love fruit sours and apparently this is a damn good one. Plus I really love blueberry. Popped in honor of Boise State to watch them win the Fiesta Bowl AGAIN vs. TCU.

Review #650

Batch 4 bottled 2009.

Appearance- Pours a dark purple pinkish with a beautifully light pink and creamy one finger head. A perfect cap and collar (almost a half finger) remain the entire beer but unfortunately not a lot of lacing.
Smell- Definitely has that somewhat recognizable Cantillon smell. It's vinegary and tart with more of a Lambic kick than an actual berry kick. That's not to say the blueberry isn't noticeable though. It's unmistakably blueberry although I do get a bit of rhubarb and raspberry. A bit of worn leather and sweat adds a small amount of funk. It definitely smells WAY more sour and tart than funky. My mouth is watering awaiting my first sip.
Taste- Starts with a light bit of an acidic kick and a somewhat puckering quench. Definitely not as sour as I was expecting as the fruit isn't all that sour and the beer is still fairly tame. There is a light lactic twang under there though don't get me wrong. The beer is fairly tannic as the quench is woody and lightly vanillin. I'd even say there is a slightly red grape like vinous character to the beer but its way less than others I've tried. As it warms though the fruit in the beer does kick up slightly but it's still fairly light. A lingering dirtiness with a bit of tobacco and fungus.
Mouthfeel- Definitely one of the heavier bodies I've felt on a Lambic as it's damn near creamy. A semi aggressive kick of carbonation is prevalent the entire beer.
Drinkability- So this beer wasn't exactly what I was expecting or hoping for as the blueberries are fairly light and the beer is fairly tame. I know it'll sour up more as time goes on but for now it's very easy drinking. Too bad this wasn't such a bitch to get or I'd grab another bottle to sit on for a year or so. Thanks much Randell!

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge Thanks to Fogdog and jdub for bringing this one out for the Cigar City BA Bolita release party.

A: Pours a nice deep berry red with a fizzy head with a pink tinge. Little retention and no lace.

S: Nice funky sour aroma. The berries are there but they are of the sour sort.

T: Nice and acidic up front. The berries come out in the middle. They are in fact sour like early season strawberries with a blast of under ripe blueberries. Hints of citrus peek through along with the funky tartness found in all Cantillions.

M: Rather light to be honest, zippy carbonation.

D: Very good for the style. I usually don't find Cantillion to be real drinkable this one is.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon