Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 238 | Ratings: 737
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

12/25/2012 at the Mikkeller Bar, Copenhagen, Denmark. 2012 Vintage.

My ridiculously priced Christmas gift to myself...when in Rome...

This beer pours a gorgeous purple/blue-ish red with a finger of purple-tinged head. Lacing sticks nicely all the way down the glass. On the nose, upon first opening, it is musty with subdued blueberry notes. The classic barnyard smells are present in droves - leather, dirty horse blanket and some manure. The blueberry notes begin to take over the nose the longer it is open and it forms a nice harmony with the musty, barnyard notes.

In terms of taste, it is very similar to the nose. Upfront it is all must, leather and other brettanomyces induced flavors. In the mid-palate blueberries come through but are quite subdued at first. After being open for about 15 minutes though, the blueberries come to life and take center stage. The blueberry is intense but not too sweet and very vibrant. These juicy blueberry flavors provide an excellent balance to the musty-ness. The blueberries are followed by the typical Cantillon mouth-puckering tartness however beneath this the blueberries are still present. It finishes dry with a sweet undercurrent of the juicy blueberries.

A amazing lambic! It is very typical Cantillon but much, much more vibrant. It is a drop-dead gorgeous beer. The taste is quite similar in beauty with its harmony between dry earth and must, and sweet blueberry. It's exceptionally balanced and it takes your palate on quite a ride. It's an unmissable beer that is undoubtedly my favorite lambic.

4.17/5  rDev -7.7%

Batch 4 - Bottled 2009 - 375ml green corked and capped bottle poured into my Cantillon stemware...

Pours a pale and muddy dark reddish/purple. Not nearly as clear or vibrantly colored as other Cantillons. Two fingers of soft pink head forms and slowly recedes, leaving a nice haze on top for pretty much the whole drink...

Nice aroma of tart blueberries right off the bat, swear I smelled a little grape juice too. The musty Cantillon funk takes over in this beer, much stronger than the fruit component. Finishes with some subtle oak aromas, pretty subdued overall for a Cantillon...

Nice flavor of tart little blueberries, you know, the really little ones in the batch that are really tart, my favorite ones, that's what this tastes like. Tart and blueberrylicious up front, but after a few sips it is all about the funk. Musty and dry, with an oaky finish...

Medium bodied with low carbonation. This one is pretty sticky and syrupy in the mouth, could use some more bubbles to move it along. Quite tart with a dry and acidic finish...

Overall this is a very good beer, but no better than any run of the mill Cantillon, in fact, I'll take a fresh, off the shelf Cantillon fruit Lambic over this any day.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a- 2009 375ml pours a hazy dark red/purple with champagne like carbonation. About half an inch of bubbly head with a less then vigorous pour.
s- Some blueberry fruit sweetness and sour cherry with a little bit of lemon in the background.
t- Not nearly as sweet as I expected it to be. The berries linger and really come out in the aftertaste, but for the most part it is a very tart fresh blueberry flavor up front that sticks around and slowly fades. A little citrus lemon sourness as well.
m- At first it was almost over carbonated and hard to drink and get any flavor to compete with the mouth burning bubbles, but as it warmed up it became much better.
d- After the carbonation subsided and i got used to the sour flavors, it became very drinkable. Overall a great sour, but not my favorite Cantillon. A big thanks to Adam and Mike for getting me this.

EDIT: Recently tried a batch 6 and it was MUCH better. Red pour with pinkish head, strong blueberry smell, some lemon. Very sour, sour blueberries, musky cologne, farmhouse funk, grainy blueberry seeds. A tart medium body with a medium carbonation. Very drinkable.

4.61/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

anniversary beer.

A- a beautiful deep purple, light pinkish purple head. absolutely beautiful.

S- tart blueberrys, funk, tad bit of vingar.

T- a nice tart blueberry taste... follows the nose.

M- wonderful, nice light crisp carbonation.

O- wonderful beer glad I got too try it.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

375 ml 2009 bottle split between two tulips and shared with fellow BA Danny at his place in North San Diego County.

Pours a blue-purple with more of a head than most Cantillons I've had the opportunity to sample. The light pinkish-lavender hued head settles quickly but leaves a thick ring around the edges of the glass for the entire tasting.

The lambic funky aroma is very strong but anchored in place surprisingly well by the very clearly defined fruity blueberry notes. The style requisite tart character really works well with this particular fruit.

Blueberry flavors are much stronger on this bottle than I thought based on the observations shared with me by others who have tried it. Acidic, sweet, and oak barrel flavors are perfectly in balance. I'm glad I tried this relatively fresh because although it wasn't as funky as some aged Cantillon bottles I've tried I really enjoyed how much the fruit flavor was intact.

I almost expected a letdown on this brew because of some of the rarity induced hype but this is very impressive even for a Cantillon and among the best beers I've ever tried. Hopefully I can land some more in the near future.

4.04/5  rDev -10.6%

750ml Bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours a murky purple with a nod towards red. The nose is all about fresh blueberries. The flavor is they typical Cantillon lambic character turned down a notch or two. Oh, and the blueberries are rocking there too. I thought it was a bit thin. Other than that, really good stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

2014 375ml bottle - Beautiful beer. No head. Light carb. Musty and funky nose. Tart and funky in the mouth. Little bit of fruit on the finish. A good beer, and I'm glad I got to tick it, but LPF and LPK are at least as good, and a lot easier to come by.

4.36/5  rDev -3.5%

Vintage 2007. Sampled at a private party at GABF.

Poured an amazing hazy purple with a tight pink head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint blueberries in the background.

The flavor was moderately tart for a Cantillon beer. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The blueberry flavor was very subdued and in the background. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was high and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

Yummy.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Made the trek to Copenhagen, to get a couple bottles of batch 6.
I had tried this previously (batch 4), and while I thought it was very good I wasnt blown away. Batch 6, however, was different and this review is for batch 6.

A beautiful dark violet with a nice pinkish/purple 2 finger head.
head dissipates after a little, but leaves a thin light pink layer on the top and there is a bit of lacing

S sour sour sour, funk and leather with a hint of wood and blueberries. perfect mouthwatering sour smell!

T very sour and acetic, the oak comes through and there are definitely some blueberries in the background, tart unripe blueberries. (where i think many sours fail is that they are too acetic and missing the fruit, wood etc flavors) this is an awesomely balanced sour. mouth puckeringly sour, refreshing, smooth with many flavors coming through

M/D wonderful. the balance of this lambic is impressive and makes for a very smooth and enjoyable beer, could drink this all day.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

A huge thanks to Don for surprising me with this one. Str8 from across the pond! I bet when he shipped it, he didn't think he would be drinking it with me! Batch 6 750ml bottle. I shared this at a tasting. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. (Reviewing from notes)

A- Pours a faint purple color. A 2 finger pink head that recedes to a thin ring. A very beautiful beer.

A- smells of funk and earth. The blueberries are coming through in a big way. It smells very tart!

T- tart blueberries that are followed up by more tart blueberries. At some points I swear I get a brief sweetness coming through. A musty earthy taste is present. Just perfect. I don't know what else to say. This is definitely my favorite lambic to date.

M- on the thinner side of medium. A tart finish that leaves me yearning for another drink.

D- I don't think it could get any better. Simply perfect!

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared a 750mL 2013 Vintage, with a very generous friend.

- Pours a murky dark purple with a bit of pinkish white foam.
- Smell is quite mild actually, with a bit of berry and hay.
- Taste is nice tart blueberry up front with a whole bunch of musty funk behind that. Relatively low acidity and not very sour at all. The finish has a bit of an earthy bitterness. Not too dry, a little low on the carbonation, but the multiple layers of funk really make this beer unique and interesting.

- Overall quite the treat. Complex with a lot of mustiness and not overly sour which allows more of the subtle notes to come through. Obvious this beer demands a lot for trade, but glad I got to try. I've seen mention of bad things about the 2013 vintage, but I still enjoyed it a lot (I don't have a comparison with other years).

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle, out of my HFS stemware. Special thanks to my fiancee for bringing these back from Copenhagen.

A- The most beautiful ruby purplish color. Pours with a nice light bubbly purple head as well. It is little murky looking. Exactly what you'd expect from blueberry juice.

S- I get some blueberry, vinous notes, and plenty of sour funk. Very typically of most cantillon beers I've had in the past. Very well balanced between the funk/fruit/sourness.

T- A heavy acidity immediately sweeps through my mouth, very tart and vinegary. Follows up with with tastes of blueberry skins, and hints of funk. The aftertase lingers for a while, and really holds a lot of blueberry flavor. Extremely well balanced flavor for a sour.

M- Pretty much perfect. Good carbonation, body, and profile. It is very complex and transitional, while not overpowering the palate. Just the right amount of funk and sourness.

O- Overall the balance of this beer is really what amazes me. To some degree I expected a bit more blueberry flavor, but this was very pleasant and tasty. The blueberry came out more as it warmed up a bit, and it really became pleasant. One of my favorite Cantillons to date, if not my favorite.

-Gfunk

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, 750ml, poured into a HF tulip glass...
color is deep magenta, ruby red with a purple tinge, half inch of foam...looks beautiful!
Nose is funk, blueberry, cherry, lemon
Taste is fantastic, blueberry fruit mixed with lemon, some funk and tartness with a hint of plastic-essence... really delicious flavors though not as in your face (concentrated) as, say, lente which explodes in your cheeks!
Drinking great right now, but may improve with age....

A: Pours an absolutely beautifull dark peach/grapefruit red. A very small amount of light passes through. If you tilt the glass you can definitely see some purple. Almost no head at all on a very coservative pour.

S: Funk and fruits dominate the nose. I dont really pick up on any blueberry, just fruityness in general. The funk is quite strong in the small, its obvious this big boy is going to be a bit sour. This is the best smelling lambic Ive ever tried.

T: wow. Very sour and tart upfront. A bit mouth puckering at first, just the way I like it. The blueberry comes out half way through, especially if you swirl a bit in your mouth. The finish is crisp and refreshing.

D: Perfectly carbonated, just amazing. This is drinking very well right now. I could easily sip on this all night if it wasnt such a whale to get.

I hate to give a beer all 5's, but this is easily the best lambic Ive ever had. One that truely lives up to the hype.

4.43/5  rDev -2%

2011 Version 37.5cl

A- Purple body with a nice pink head.

S- Lots of funk. Blueberries are the second smell, and you can smell the acidity as well.

T- Very sour and acidic. Also tastes of oak. I get a very minor blueberry flavor very late, but I wonder if I would notice it if I wasn't looking for the blueberries.

M- Tartness, but not nearly as sour as some other Cantillon lambics. Medium body, and perfectly carbonated.

O- Overall a really good lambic. I was a bit let down with how minimal the blueberries were though.

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally! I couldn't wait any longer after getting this in a trade.
Batch 2 - 2007 - 375ml

A - Wow, I've never seen a beer this color... As I pour this deep purple lambic almost 2 fingers of pink stained tan head rises and settles after a few seconds.

S - The second I started pouring this I could smell the blueberries. When you're nose deep in the glass there is a strong acidity and a nice healthy funk, lovely barnyard and cheese.

T - Frickin' awesome. Not the sourest Cantillon I've had, but definitely packs a punch. It blend very well with the funk going on as well. The blueberries are also the most present out of Cantillon fruit lambic that I've had. It might just be in my head but I swear the blueberries also add to the sourness, as if they were picked early.

M/D - This one was carbonated pretty well and probably one of the only things I could find I didn't like about, and I was trying pretty hard.
Rarity and price aside, I could drink this any day of the year, I would just need 30 minutes to lose myself in it.

Batch 4 - 2009 - 750mL

This is a pure funk bomb, tastes like a blueberry flavored band-aid. Fruit wasn't as present as I remembered, and this bottle was fresher... Too medicinal, I'm going to knock my appearance down to account for the difference in batches.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium...

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

The 2005 Cantillon Blåbær poured a clear, golden orange amber. It looked like beautiful sparkling resin. It smelled like slightly sweet grape, touch of berry, touch of cereal and horseblanket funky sour. It tasted incredibly sour, pucker lemon, funky-cole-madina, lots of oak with a touch, and I mean a touch of berry. It was good. I was aching for a bit more fruit; but don't get me wrong, Cantillon has an amazing capacity to create incredible back-of-your-throat sour lemon puckers, which a lot of people love and crave. And it was good; I just wanted a bit more complexity and fruit flavor like in some of their other beers.

The 2007 Cantillon Blåbær Batch II poured the most beautiful color I have ever seen in a beer. I wanted to just stare at it all night long. It was this incredibly sparkling, brilliant ruby red with a touch of aubergine. Absolutely gorgeous. It smelled like a bucket of tart blueberries. It tasted like tart cranberries, tart blueberries, oak and back of your throat pucker sour. This had the complexity I was looking for. The beer starts tart to sour and then metamorphose into ripe and tart blueberries with the oak rounding out the transition. Beautiful. Elegant.

The 2009 Cantillon Blåbær was the weakest link of the evening. It poured a cloudy, murky mahogany. It smelled like mulled cider mixed with berry pie. It tasted a little apple cider-y, with hint of cinnamon, sour green apple and cranberry. It was not much to my liking, but it actually helped when it was paired with dessert.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

375ml bottle, compliments of billab914. Hats off to you, Bill for hooking me up with an elusive brew. 2009 bottle...not sure what batch it was because I couldn't read the scribble those Belgium's wrote on the side of the bottle. Poured into my town hall snifter:

A - A murky purple with nice amount of foam and nice signs of carbonation. The color reminds me of the innards of blueberry pie or a light grape juice.

S - Faint blueberries and a bit of band-aid and barnyard funk. Some citrus notes as well.

T - Flawless. Sour blueberries and bits of hay. Acidic and tannins that make my jaw lock up a bit. Very good stuff.

M - Nice and crisp. Light velvet.

D - Could drink it all the time. I've tried so hard to land this brew and now that I've had the chance to try it I can die a happy man (someday.) I don't know if I'd trade half my cellar for a bottle but worth seeking if you have the means. Thanks again Bill for the chance to try this!

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

750mL 2005 Batch 1 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This was my favorite batch. Totally unreal.

A- Pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Clear in initial pour but insanely opaque grapefruit juice color with the yeast.

N- Subdued blueberry muffin, unblended lambic citrus, funk, sour fruits.

T- Slight blueberries, unwashed, full of blueberry skins, lots of bright citrus and grapefruit rind that takes over and makes the blueberry very subdued. Overall is very sour and light bodied.

P- Geuze-like, tannic, sharp, very sour, very bright citrus. Leathery and lactic.

750mL 2007-1 Batch 2 black foil courtesy of madsberg. This is a totally different lambic all together.

A- Pours like a kriek that is on crack- straight up opaque purple with a billowing purple head that is insane. Blueberry seeds tumble into the champagne flute.

N- Full of band-aid, goes almost chemical, and has some baked cherry pie that comes through if you give it a chance.

T- More acidic, full of sour cherries, blueberry skins. Way different. Blind tasting either batch 1 or batch 2 I would not put as a blueberry lambic. I would put batch 1 as unblended, and 2 as a kriek.

750mL 2007-2 Batch 3 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This is where I think Jeppe was able to find a happy medium between batch 1 and 2.

A- This pours a cloudy pink with less of a pink head.

N- No band-aid and has more blueberry muffin, brine, cheese, funk, and overall less intense than batch 2.

T- Considerably more tart, full of lactic acid, more brightly acidic.

I'm scoring batch 1 as it was my favorite rather than averaging all of them together.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost.

4.29/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle 375, first Cantillon rating after having multiple of there offerings multiple times.

A- wow, what a great looking pour. Cloudy purple, pinkish blue. Have never seen a beer this color. Nice one finger pink/cream head
S- The smell really through me off on this. The first wiff is of Band Aids and it was pretty prominent. As it opens up with some movement, that subsides and is replaced by fresh blueberries. The more it sits and breaths, the more the blueberries start to make an appearance. There is a light tart smell to it and small red berry aroma as well.
T- Slightly sour up front with a fresh blueberry puree finish. That sums up the taste of this one, from start to finish that is what I got.
M-This is a thick lambic. It is still relatively a light bodied beer but has some weight to it. It has a dry finish, leaving you mouth yearning for more.

Overall, I am really glad that I got to taste this much sought after Whale of mine. I would love to get more. This is one of a kind as far as the sours that I have had. I would love to open a new batch bottle to see what its like and to see if that Band Aid smell was just part of the aging on the one i had.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon