Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik
4.52/5
World-Class
Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

#121

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

4.12/5  rDev -8.8%

3.89/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2015 bottle pours a deep purple color with magenta and deep red as well. Beautiful color. Nose is quite funky. There's a hint of a lactic/yogurt type of funk and sour on the nose. Not getting the fruit on the nose, but blueberries aren't extremely pungent. The flavor is fairly acidic. There's a funky tannic quality that I assume comes from the fruit. It's not a perfect marriage between the base beer and the fruit. It closely approximates the overtly sour american wild ales. Not my favorite offering from the fruited Cantillon portfolio but also very unique to that end. A "bottleshare" beer in my opinion that can be tasted and discussed among friends rather than a full solo drinking experience.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. not quite sure who contributed this one, but thanks!

750ml corked and capped bottle.

pours a beautiful nearly clear pinkish purple colour with a small pink head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. blueberry. leather and horse blanket. caramel and vanilla. earthy and herbal. lemon.

taste is great. blueberry. mellow sourness. big horse blanket and leather character. less fruit-specific than in the aroma, but it's definitely there. tart cherry and blueberry.

mouthfeel is great. medium-light body with a super dry finish. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. great fruit. great depth. restrained sourness.

3.74/5  rDev -17.3%

Night of epic proportions, review #2. Thanks to xpimptastikx for the share! 750ml bottle served in a Meantime snifter.

A big head forms right off the bat, rosy plum-colored, fluffy, cloud-like, not wanting to budge. Hazy is the body of Blåbær, with a deep cranberry hue. The nose is all phenolic funk. A bit too medicinal for my liking, with vinous greenery, fresh vegetation and wet soil.

More phenols in the taste, with Band-Aids galore. Earthy blueberry rinds and vine clippings. Blåbær slowly numbs the tongue as if it were a low-dose application of topical anesthetic. Slightly distracting, but the underlying sourness and tart, fruity finish is where it should be. Carbonation is big and bubbly, rolling around the tongue with a delicate effervescence. Almost too much for me, although this Lambic does calm down as it warms. Glad I got the opportunity to try it, but Blåbær wasn't quite up my ally. Thanks again Michael for sharing this!

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.51/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle from soulforpeanuts, who is the man. Thanks, Rick! This bottle was from Batch 5, I believe, with 2009 and what looks like a 2 printed on the bottle.

Blåbær (I'm still not 100% sure how to say the name of this beer) pours a dark but fairly clear purplish color, really stunning, with a one-finger head that has pinkish hues. This is not the appearance I expected after having had other blueberry beers. I like it a lot.

Aroma is very nice, but not a standout for a Cantillon fruit lambic. Cantillon's signature yeast is ever-present. Bretty funk and lactic notes as well as a substantial blueberry presence.

The flavor is intense sour blueberries (not too sour though) and a little funk. I got some grape flavors in there as well, and definitely some vinegar notes. I poured it out in 3 increments, and I feel like the flavor got more intense toward the bottom of the bottle.

The palate is somewhat typical for a Cantillon fruit lambic, which is to say it's awesome. There's really a great tingling that you get on the mouthfeel that almost chokes you up. That is a very good thing. Body is medium and mouthfeel is lively. Medium level of acidity for the style.

Very drinkable. I kept coming back for another sip, and my girlfriend, who I shared this with, had to get me to slow down so she could have some. What an excellent beer. I don't know if I could rank it over some of the Lou Pepe beers with age on them, but then again, this beer could probably be pretty damn incredible with age too. Looking forward to trying this one again.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer is hazy deep ruby with blue nuances, a pinkish head that leaves little lacing and not very much curtains.

I smell horse, stable, leather, some forest moisture, damp blueberry plants.

The taste is complex sweet fructose forest fruits, concrete and wet hay, a fresh, very cantillonish acidity.

Medium high carbonation, small alert bubbles, a bit foamy but very refreshing feeling, a smooth long dry finish.

Very much complexity and stable presence, an, as always, good Cantillion. The 2011 Vintage. Thx to bark.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a blueberry lambic exclusively brewed for Olbutikken, Copenhagen's best beer store.

Astounding color. Deep magenta with a super dark pink head, with little pieces of blueberry particles in the head. The beer clearly absorbed the color of the blueberries in a spectacular way. Without question, the best looking Cantillon beer I’ve seen.

The aroma is prehaps the most disappointing aspect of the beer. It’s just not nearly as powerful as I’d like. That being said, it’s still nice.

The flavor is absolutely incredible. Of all the Cantillon beers I’ve tried with fruit additions (cherries, raspberries, muscats grapes, red wine grapes, apricots, cranberries) the Danish blueberries in this beer is absolutely the best fruit addition. After the mid-palate, the blueberries become dominant. The fruit tastes lush, authentic and phenomenal. Also, for a Cantillon it’s not intensely sour like Rose De Gambrinus or Fou Foune, but instead, very well balanced. This is an incredible fruit lambic.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 vintage at Himmeriget in Copenhagen.

Awesome looking beer, dark purple with lots of visible bubbles.

As soon as you open the bottle, the smell of blueberries smacks you in the face. Pouring it and sniffing into the glass shows what a great lambic is all about. The blueberries mingle with sour, funky notes, with hints of raspberries. I could smell this for hours...

Taste follows the nose, very pronounced blueberries with a bit of raspberry, and just the right acidity.

Mouthfeel is bubbly and lively, way too easy to drink!

This is one of the best sours I've had, perfect balance, gorgeous too look at and the nose is amazing. Manages to live up to the ridiculous hype surrounding it.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Cantillon Blabaer Lambik Vintage 2015.

Acidic, tart, funky, and tannic on the palate. One of the best uses of blueberries in any beer I have had.

Overall, a really nice fruited beer that requires far too much effort to acquire. Your life will not be worse without it.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon