Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

lantern corps beer summit 2010 - day 2, oct 9/2010. not quite sure who contributed this one, but thanks!

750ml corked and capped bottle.

pours a beautiful nearly clear pinkish purple colour with a small pink head. the head drops slowly and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is great. blueberry. leather and horse blanket. caramel and vanilla. earthy and herbal. lemon.

taste is great. blueberry. mellow sourness. big horse blanket and leather character. less fruit-specific than in the aroma, but it's definitely there. tart cherry and blueberry.

mouthfeel is great. medium-light body with a super dry finish. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. great fruit. great depth. restrained sourness.

3.89/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2015 bottle pours a deep purple color with magenta and deep red as well. Beautiful color. Nose is quite funky. There's a hint of a lactic/yogurt type of funk and sour on the nose. Not getting the fruit on the nose, but blueberries aren't extremely pungent. The flavor is fairly acidic. There's a funky tannic quality that I assume comes from the fruit. It's not a perfect marriage between the base beer and the fruit. It closely approximates the overtly sour american wild ales. Not my favorite offering from the fruited Cantillon portfolio but also very unique to that end. A "bottleshare" beer in my opinion that can be tasted and discussed among friends rather than a full solo drinking experience.

3.74/5  rDev -17.3%

Night of epic proportions, review #2. Thanks to xpimptastikx for the share! 750ml bottle served in a Meantime snifter.

A big head forms right off the bat, rosy plum-colored, fluffy, cloud-like, not wanting to budge. Hazy is the body of Blåbær, with a deep cranberry hue. The nose is all phenolic funk. A bit too medicinal for my liking, with vinous greenery, fresh vegetation and wet soil.

More phenols in the taste, with Band-Aids galore. Earthy blueberry rinds and vine clippings. Blåbær slowly numbs the tongue as if it were a low-dose application of topical anesthetic. Slightly distracting, but the underlying sourness and tart, fruity finish is where it should be. Carbonation is big and bubbly, rolling around the tongue with a delicate effervescence. Almost too much for me, although this Lambic does calm down as it warms. Glad I got the opportunity to try it, but Blåbær wasn't quite up my ally. Thanks again Michael for sharing this!

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

4.51/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle from soulforpeanuts, who is the man. Thanks, Rick! This bottle was from Batch 5, I believe, with 2009 and what looks like a 2 printed on the bottle.

Blåbær (I'm still not 100% sure how to say the name of this beer) pours a dark but fairly clear purplish color, really stunning, with a one-finger head that has pinkish hues. This is not the appearance I expected after having had other blueberry beers. I like it a lot.

Aroma is very nice, but not a standout for a Cantillon fruit lambic. Cantillon's signature yeast is ever-present. Bretty funk and lactic notes as well as a substantial blueberry presence.

The flavor is intense sour blueberries (not too sour though) and a little funk. I got some grape flavors in there as well, and definitely some vinegar notes. I poured it out in 3 increments, and I feel like the flavor got more intense toward the bottom of the bottle.

The palate is somewhat typical for a Cantillon fruit lambic, which is to say it's awesome. There's really a great tingling that you get on the mouthfeel that almost chokes you up. That is a very good thing. Body is medium and mouthfeel is lively. Medium level of acidity for the style.

Very drinkable. I kept coming back for another sip, and my girlfriend, who I shared this with, had to get me to slow down so she could have some. What an excellent beer. I don't know if I could rank it over some of the Lou Pepe beers with age on them, but then again, this beer could probably be pretty damn incredible with age too. Looking forward to trying this one again.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer is hazy deep ruby with blue nuances, a pinkish head that leaves little lacing and not very much curtains.

I smell horse, stable, leather, some forest moisture, damp blueberry plants.

The taste is complex sweet fructose forest fruits, concrete and wet hay, a fresh, very cantillonish acidity.

Medium high carbonation, small alert bubbles, a bit foamy but very refreshing feeling, a smooth long dry finish.

Very much complexity and stable presence, an, as always, good Cantillion. The 2011 Vintage. Thx to bark.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a blueberry lambic exclusively brewed for Olbutikken, Copenhagen's best beer store.

Astounding color. Deep magenta with a super dark pink head, with little pieces of blueberry particles in the head. The beer clearly absorbed the color of the blueberries in a spectacular way. Without question, the best looking Cantillon beer I’ve seen.

The aroma is prehaps the most disappointing aspect of the beer. It’s just not nearly as powerful as I’d like. That being said, it’s still nice.

The flavor is absolutely incredible. Of all the Cantillon beers I’ve tried with fruit additions (cherries, raspberries, muscats grapes, red wine grapes, apricots, cranberries) the Danish blueberries in this beer is absolutely the best fruit addition. After the mid-palate, the blueberries become dominant. The fruit tastes lush, authentic and phenomenal. Also, for a Cantillon it’s not intensely sour like Rose De Gambrinus or Fou Foune, but instead, very well balanced. This is an incredible fruit lambic.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

4.61/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

4.61/5  rDev +2%

Chilled bottle into a glass (2009 vintage I believe). Shared jointly by Chad, Craig, and Jeff at Jeff's recent sour tasting. Thanks, guys.

A: Pours a murky reddish magenta body. The pour develops a finger of frothy pink head that retains moderately before lapsing into a thick collar.

S: Blueberries, funk (horse, barnyard), some lacto, oak, and leather. As I was taking these notes, I thought to myself that I liked St. Lamvinus better... In transcribing them, I'm not sure I'd still say that.

T: Tart blueberries, but I can see why Chad said they taste more like a reddish berry of some kind. It doesn't *quite* taste like fresh blueberries, unlike other fruit lambic varieties. Maybe something about the harvest for this particular beer, or the way blueberries work in this beer? Who knows. Hints of citrus. The sourness is a restrained lactic presence with some grape-like vinegar. Most of the wild flavor is funk and barnyard; the finish is VERY leathery with a mild astringency.

M: Medium-bodied, with low carbonation. Semi-dry. It cleans up pretty well, but it does start to coat the mouth.

D: This beer is immensely drinkable against some other Cantillon varieties that are intensely acetic or dry. This delivers the flavor without being so extreme that it becomes tough to finish. Cleans up well for the most part. Goes down too easily, almost.

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml bottle (2009 vintage) received in trade with bmanning. Thanks for this huge want Ben. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours the color of concord grape juice with a thick, fluffy purpley pink head of 2-3 fingers that lasts for a little while before falling to a thick, creamy collar and leaving lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - Very interesting. Smells of grapes, raspberries and brett mainly. Lots of interesting funk. Looking for blueberries I don't get fresh fruit, more of a blueberry jam.

T - Blueberries are more subtle than I expected out of this. Extremely tart especially up front and very dry. Layered with funky brett in the middle with some horseblanket and general yeastiness and finishing with some lactic and acetic sourness on the finish. Blueberries are somewhat light, but I keep coming back to the blueberry jam character. As it warms up a bit the fruit really starts to come out (and I get some lemony aspects too) and the tartness becomes less bracing and more well integrated into the overall flavor of the beer. A truly great and interesting beer. As it warms further, I really get left with the fresh blueberry juice flavor I was initially expecting. Very interesting how this beer changes through the range of temperatures - from fridge temp to approaching room temperature.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is medium high. Tart/sour flavors dominate and cause a definite puckering sensation on every sip. A bit of warmth though really does wonders for this beer. The flavors really open up on this turning a "good" sour into a great beer. Wow, warmer temps on this are leaving me very impressed.

D - On first sip, I was a little bit unimpressed by this. The tart and sour nature were overwhelming and masked a lot of the subtleties in this beer. As it warms the true character of this beer really stands out. Jammy and fresh fruit blueberry character becomes very prominent in a very good way. Would love to be able to try this one again, but I won't hold my breath.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Vintage '09. Big thanks to Mr. C for the hook up on this.

This one was a gusher. But luckily I was ready and none of the sweet nectar was lost. Pours a dark, hazy blackberry with a silky purplish head. Truly exceptional color.

Nose has tart berries, damp hay, horse blanket, manure and oak. Doesn't quite have the blueberry presence I was looking for.

Taste is a perfect blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk and wooden wine barrels. Superb balance.

Crisp, refreshing body has a delicate yet brisk carbonation. Dry, sour finish lingers nicely.

This is certainly a beautifull beer, but seems to be on it's way down. The Cantillon funk is slowly starting to take of the wonderfull blueberry flavors. Like any fruit lambic, this is most likely best enjoyed fresh.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the infamous Blåbær from Brasserie Cantillon out of Belgium.

Score: 96

2012 vintage bottle served in a GLASS and enjoyed on 05/07/13. Review is from iPhone notes

Appearance: Pours a lovely Byzantium/blueberry color with a thin layer of thistle colored head. The color of the head looks like what you'd expect on the label of a fancy bath product. Average lacing, excellent retention. I adore the color on this brew! 4.5/5

Smell: Sweet and jammy blueberries mixed with that classic "Cantillon dust" aroma you get with all their other beers. Not very sour-apparent on the nose. Hint of vinegar too. Not very complex, but extremely appealing. Maybe I am just a sucker for blueberries? 4.5/5

Taste: Sweet/jammy and slightly acidic blueberries with a nice light tartnesses towards the finish. Some of that "Cantillon dust" flavor throughout as well. Drying tartness, makes for a very interesting mouthfeel. Like the nose, the taste is not very complex, but what it delivers is quite delicious! 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Sweet fruitiness and mildly acidic. Dry finish. 4.5/5

Overall: I found this brew to be absolutely delicious (albeit not overly complex), but as many have pointed out before me, this is not Cantillon's best beer (let alone their best lambic). I would absolutely love to try this one again, but it us not worth jumping through all the hoops one has to jump through in order to obtain a bottle when Fou Foune, St. Lamvinus, Vigneronne and Lou Pepe Kriek are at least as good, cheaper and easier to obtain. I'd recommend folks who have not had this beer before give it a try, as I found this beer to be world class; however, I would likewise recommend that such folks seek out a bottle with a group of friends so as to share the burden of the premium it'll take to obtain.

Cost: 46€ (approximately $60 USD) for a 750 ML, 23€ (approximately $30 USD) for a 375 ML.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Graciously shared by Sean9689 at Zwanze Day 2011. This has been a long time want/tick. Thank you again! 2011 750ml bottle.

Appearance – Pours into a Cantillon tulip with an utter amazing dark blue/purple color. About a half finger of purple head that dissipates at an average pace leaving slight nifty looking lacing. Side note, as I drank this there were bits of berry that got stuck on the glass…awesome.

Smell – Lots of fruit; quite obviously blueberry. A wonderful tart and barnyard funk aroma. Leather, lemon peel, and more blueberry.

Taste – A nice puckering up front with loads of berry flavor. A slight barnyard funk flavor such as wet hay and leather. A hint of acidic characteristic, lemon zest, oak, and tannic qualities.

Mouthfeel – Lighter medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes a hint dry and acidic.

Overall – I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. It was everything I was hoping and expecting it to be. To be honest, I recently went international to get a 33cl of the 2011. That said, I will admit this beer was not insanely better than other Cantillon’s I have had. While it is different with the variation of berries, the 2003 Lou Pepe Framboise I had recently was more mouth puckering and sour. Since I have had this beer fresh, I will now age the bottle I own. Still, a fantastic beer.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, 750 ml bottle

Pours a purplish red color with a one finger pink head which fades quickly, leaving no lacing. The aroma has tart blueberries, barnyard funk, very acidic.

Tastes like tart blueberries. Acidic, and very dry. There is some barnyard funk in the taste, but not as much as there is in the aroma. The taste becomes a bit sweeter as I drink it, then goes back to being more tart and acidic. Nice and complex. Very well crafted.

Light bodied with low carbonation. Finishes dry. Very inviting and easy to drink. well worth seeking out.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon