Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 243 | Ratings: 758
4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler glass at Øltibukken store in Copenhagen Denmark. Vintage 2014, 375ml bottle.

Big deep ruby red color like a gem. An absolute crystal clear gem, no hints of darker or lighter hues of different colors. Shines crystal clear. A faint pink head dissolves with a little bit of suds, but even manages some carbonation while in a simple conical tumbler. One of the most impressive colors on any beer I have ever seen. Doesn't get any better for a lambic.

Fascinating aroma. Bouquet fills with earth funky notes, slightly ashy but even more so with hints of garden mushroom and fresh tilled soil. Fruit angle is all over and surprisingly varied. Blueberries of course but also sour cherry, raspberry, even peach like fuzz which works out amazingly.

THe first sip is exquisite. While the fruit comes nicely with funky aromas, there is a great melding sweetness of balsamic vinegar to match. It's as if it is drizzled all over a salad bowl filled with fruits of cherry, blueberry and so forth. Great funk acid tones on this, with much of the earthy bouquet matching nicely.

Everything is incredibly balanced with wild yeast taking the first notes, and fruit following with sweet acidic tones. Not quite Rodenbach sweetness but unique all it's own. Extremely complex and balanced. The feel even for a lambic, does come off a little less impressive. Depth in malt even comes across light, but the flavors easily push through. Fun carbonation. Hinting at light seltzery qualities but never getting there from a large palate that is complex

What more needs to be said? A great lambic, probably the best blueberry beer of any style by far I have ever had. Not my favorite Cantillon, but does this get any better? No, unequivocally not even close.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage, poured from a 375ml. Poured very hazy with a great ruby/purple color and small pinkish head. Some blueberries on the nose, musty, lots of funk. Initial sweetness from the blueberries up front, but quickly fades to a very nice sour and funk taste. Nice dry, lingering finish with a tart aftertaste. Overall an excellent blueberry lambic.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Shared a bottle at Olbutikken with Morten and others in the store. Was happy to be able to try, but concerned about the hype. No worries, An amazing lambic. Absolutely beautiful color and clarity. Nose was so fresh and bright. Funk was upfront. but gently restrained. Really enhanced rather than dominated the flavor Blueberry flavor was complex and reminded me more of eating slightly unripe berries from the garden. Leaned toward tartness rather sweet blueberry pie. Malts and yeast merged to provide additional flavors and accents. Smooth, delightful carbonation. Wonderfully drinkable
It's a shame that this beer is not more available. Understand why, but this would be such a great beer outings, accompanying picnics, sipping on the deck and sharing with friends. This is not a beer to limit to tastings and talk.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a rich bluish, purple with healthy blueberry yogurt head. Bottom of cork and nose smells like spontaneous funk with minimal barnyard mustiness but with healthy blueberry aroma. Taste is young lambic citric acidic sourness with big tannic presence, a bit of lacto, and slight but real blueberry undertones. Mouthfeel is full but the finish is very bitter and dry. Overall, this is one of the best blueberry beers I've had but it's a difficult fruit to conquer. Age would tone down the bitterness and let the lambic base come around but would likely diminish the amazing nose and kill the fruit from the taste. Great beer but I prefer many of Cantillon's other offerings.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

4.61/5  rDev +2%

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Honoured to share this with JLindros in honor of his newborn son. Review 2800.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice slightly hazy blueberry juice hue with a light pink head that fades to leave sticky lacing and a thick blanket.

S - Aromas of incredible blueberry, berry skin. Excellent light funk, basement and cheesy funk, soft lemons. Really really fragrant.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, tons of blueberry skin and tannins, loads of funk, cheesy basement. The acidity is nice, but the tannins are a bit too over powering.

M - Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, crisp, very clean with a good funk.

O - Overall this was a very good lambik. Excellent blueberry notes with really good funk. Excellently crafted.

Serving Type: bottle

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful purple/red color. The nose is a strong punch of blueberry and lacto/sour. The taste some blueberry but more sour and your standard Cantillon bite. The feel is heart-burny like all Cantillon. Overall a great beer that actually beat my expectations.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. I believe it to be 2015. Poured a ruddy, muddy purple. Almost wine like. A purple/pink frothiness that sits atop the beer. Aroma promises a very sour aspect to the beer. Earth, vinegar, wood, and of course, a mixture of ripe perfumey blueberries and underripe, tart blueberries. The flavor was probably not as complex as other Cantillon beers I have had but it was surely impressive and flooring. It starts off very tart. A bright pop of sourness that has a balsamic quality folds into a display of woody blueberry wine. I loved how dry it finished. Each sip was better than the last as my palate adjusted to the potency of flavor. The body was light and the tartness lingered. Probably won't have this again so it was definitely a treat.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Vintage 2011.

The colour is blueberry-purple, the liquid clear. The low head is pink.

The smell is tart. Iodine. Stable. Blueberries.

The taste is tart with notes of white wine vinegar. Black currents and blueberry juice. Iodine. It is much smoother then most Cantillon brews I have had. Passing dry notes. Sour hints that reminds of fresh orange juice. Some hints of citric peels. Long lasting blue berry notes in the finish.

The carbonation is light, the small bubbles fresh. The liquid is very dry.

A very well balanced and highly drinkable lambic. One of the most intriguing beers I have had.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml bottle, with vintage '12 written in silver on the label, generously traded to me by Brian who is such a great Beer Advocate for giving me this opportunity to drink a beer I'll probably never have a chance to drink again. Seriously. Thanks again, Brian, aka 4DAloveofSTOUT. Poured into a Cantillon wine glass tday, 9/15/2013, which is my first ear anniversary. Review #208.

Okay, so this beer pours something amazing. Its like this ruby grapefruit colour, so orange yet so purple at the same time. I cannot truly describe how great this beer looks. It pours with a typically Cantillon effervescent sour head that retains very well with a great film on top. Its just truly a great looking beer, even compared to Fou' Foune.

Smell on this is interesting. I can definitely smell that brewery funk; it takes me back to the brewery even more than Classic Geuze does. It's just funky, yet has that tart, ripe blueberry flavour that truly takes this beer somewhere else. The blueberries are there in such a way that Fou' Foune's apricots are, such that it doesn't take away from that Cantillon prototypical funk, but it adds so much more to it. Not gonna lie, this smells sour and just tasty at the same time.

Flavour is even better than the smell. It's not the most sour beer I've ever had (that still belongs to Beatification b5) but it is just so complex and well-melded together... only second to Fou' Foune's apricots. It's sweet yet so damn sour at the same time.. while spewing out that classic Cantillon earthy funkiness. This is where I realize that the rarity itself on this beer is not the only thing driving this beer's ratings up, this beer stands very well on its own. No question about it.

Mouthfeel is typical Cantillon. Medium bodied yet so smooth and well-carbonated. The aftertaste is that classic Cantillon funkiness, horseblankets and barnyard flavour straight up. I can't imagine 3F doing anything better than this, because I'm just a huge fan of that Cantillon funk. Probably because of the great memories behind our trip to Cantillon in Anderlecht.

Okay, so I can honestly say that this is beer really lives up to the hype on its own merits, because that blueberry sweet AND sourness contributes a lot to this beer, more so than Bordeaux grapes or more cherries have done. I wish Cantillon would make a year-round blueberry lambic so that we could get this one more easily. Its an über whale because of its several hundred bottles-a-year production, but I will strongly, strongly recommend that everyone who likes sours, try to get one of these bottles at least once in their beer lifetimes.

Re-review: Had the opportunity to sample 2011, 2014, and 2015 vintages. Stemmed glass 4/30/2016. I specifically would like to state that the 2015 fresh vintage was excellent, and may reach the level that the 2011 bought. Specifically, the blueberry fruit was pungent on the nose and to a lesser extent, the palate. Blueberry seems to be a difficult one to pull the essence out of in beer, but this is a pretty good example when done right. The 2015 had a nice big presence to go with the underlying Cantillon funk, and 2011 retained that strong blueberry depth while funking up some more. However, the 2014 was underwhelming in terms of the blueberry. Not sure if it is the lack of blueberry flavours period (harvest related?) or if it has to do with the background of the lambic. Either way, I did not think 2014 was worth going after, but 2015 has the potential to do well with time, and perhaps as well as the 2011 did.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

thanks to Sean9689 for trading this treat to me!

375ml bottle; vintage 2012; batch 8.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: an opaque medium reddish purple bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head that drops down quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: fruity and funky sour beer with a touch of vinegar. This beer has a well balanced nose between with the fruit and the funk. Blueberry skins with musty and dusty funk.

Taste: Blueberries that are both sweet and tart. Also some notes of red berries as well. Nice oak barrel presence that is tannic and its earthy too. The funk flavor is both musty basement and wet straw. This beer has a nice sour pucker that is about a 5.5 out of 10. Tastes similiar to a sweetart candy. Finish gets much funkier as it warms...the musty funk really transforms into that horse blanket sweaty funk that Cantillion is know for. A hint of lemon, grapefruit, and berries in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation isnt as aggressive as most Cantillions that I have drank. It has more of a delicate carbonation that comes alive and epperveses as it hits your tongue. I do think that this beer could use just a little more carbonation. Semidry finish.

Overall: Yeah, this beer is wonderful. It is officially my new favorite Cantillion sour. I gotta say that its awesome to finally try this beer that I have been after for a while now.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2012
(A)- A sexy crimson burgundy color with some purple-like highlights. Some light white froth that dissipated quickly
(S)- Mildly tart up front but rich jammy blueberry fruits. Subtle oaky funk. Slight stone-like mineral bit on the finish. A dynamic smell despite some age on the bottle
(T)- Just a sexy beer. Rich, jammy blueberries meets a stoney oak funk. Mildly tart to really up the complexity
(M)- A fantastic carbonation level. Silky smooth with just the right amount of fruit, tartness, and oaky funk to balance well yet still creating a complex and dynamic mouthfeel
(O)- So happy to have finally tried this very long time want. It is not Cantillon's best, but that is like saying I had mediocre sex. . . its still sex

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

One of the coolest looking beers ever. Blue, purple, even a little light red to the edge of it. Must take a lot of blueberries to make this. Aroma was tart, sour funkyblue cheese blueberries, really dropped that on me something fierce, amazing ass aroma.

Taste, wow, just wow. Possibly the best Cantillon. Thick blueberry sour pancakes with goat cheese.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon