Cantillon Blåbær Lambik | Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
cantillon.be

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Reviewed from notes (Mr. Bubbler's "End of the World Tasting") 12/21/12. Thanks.
300th review.

Vintage 2011. 750ml bottle.

A: Pours a deep reddish purple with a 1" light pink head which fizzles before fading to the rim leaving a few spots of lace.

N: Classic horseblanket funk, chessy, with mild blueberry jam, some vinous notes. Somewhat sour with wood tannins.

T: Fresh blueberry and white grape. Funky with woody mold and mildly sour. Well balanced.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Dry, musty/dusty and fruity finish.

O: Amazing and enjoyed. Maybe overhyped? Try it and decide for yourself. Would have again and again.

3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

3.75/5  rDev -17%

4.25/5  rDev -6%

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Happy New Year's Eve. This is how I'm starting off my night. 2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware.

It poured a deep purple color with the head and bubbles showing a pink or very light purple hue to them. The head retreated to the edges where it remained for a good while. Loved the colors it had to it.

The aroma has a very nice sourness to it without being overly acidic. Some of the berries show through nicely as well. It has a bit of a funky, basement like quality to it that adds to the tart sourness of the fruit. Complex and appealing aroma overall.

The taste starts out with a moderate acidic tartness. The blueberries start to come through next with a tart and sour flavor to them. It has a kind of a musty flavor throughout it as well. In the finish the blueberries come back and linger with some nice sourness to them. Excellent flavor and nice complexity to it.

The mouthfeel is medium to maybe a little heavy for the style. Carbonation is moderately sharp, but maybe a bit below average for the style. The mouthfeel worked very well for the beer overall.

The drinkability is excellent, it had some great flavors and complexity to it and was a great way to start the evening. It paired very nicely with a few good cheeses we had as well. Excellent beer overall and definitely one of the best if not the best fruit based sour beers I've had.

4.34/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 375ml

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes. Much thanks to Paul for sharing this with me!

A: Pours a nice light purple color with a thin white head on top, mostly forming a ring. Thin lacing with nice retention.

S: Fantastic fruity aroma. Lots of blueberries with a bit of sour/funk typical of Cantillon offerings. There is a bit of cheese that comes out as it warms.

T: Jammy blueberries with a slight tartness. Nice funk/cheese on the flavor as well, which blends nicely with the fruit for a fantastic flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly tart, slightly dry.

O: An amazing beer. Going in I had high hopes, which were tempered from others who have had the beer previously. I will agree that it is amazing, but I would rather drink other Cantillon beers which take less effort/cost to get.

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I was waiting for some time for the chance to try this and was glad I got the opportunity. Enjoyed from the 750ml into a cantillon tulip.

A reddish purple hue with thick pink band after settling. The bead is of various sizes with lace that sticks pretty well. The clarity of this beer is on the translucent side. The smell is great, the funk is huge in this with big berry fruity aroma and mild phenolic accent which is slightly medicinal at first but seems to mellow allowing the dark berry odors to take over with a slight floral and woody note. There is a mild tart berry skin hint with a nice amount of oak and light herbal tinges. The feel has a tannic and juicy astringent acidity up front which makes way for some slight sweet fruit flesh tinges and the sour yeast which has a clean lactic sour quality and still adds a mild spice effect with the moderately high carbonation.

A blueberry taste is apparent with big fruity tart taste and bit phenolic flavor that carries over where the aroma leaves off. There is a lactic type of flavor with mild acidic puckering quality. The taste has a gentle woody tinge with mild bitter aspect in the background. The taste has more of an earthy accent as it warms with the funk flavor coming out to meet the fruit and sour taste with the tart pie-like berry blueberry tart tatste. Overall I was overjoyed with the experience. I find this to be a great fruit beer with a nice sourness from the wild yeast without becoming too overwhelming...the perfect blend practically of berry and wild yeast. I really enjoyed this and there is very little to find fault with -Kudos Cantillon!

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Review #800!

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to ygtbsm94; huge thanks to Brad for sharing this very sought after beer! Bottle is from Batch 3, 2007 Vintage.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with two inches of fluffy white head that has excellent rentention and leaves a little bit of lacing and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart blueberry, sour fruits, brett, and oak. The blueberries aren't overpowering, which makes it wonderful to smell and enjoy.

t - Tastes of blueberry, sour fruit, yeast, and brett. Hints of oak as well, but not as much as the smell. The tart blueberries come through a little more in the taste than the smell, but again, pretty amazing.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and crazy drinkable. A little bit tart but not too lip puckering, which allows it be be drank easily. Perfect mouthfeel.

d - Wow, what an amazing beer. At 5% ABV, I feel like I could drink a whole bottle of this and still want more. I'm not just marking this up due to rarity; this is one of the best beers I've ever had and if you like blueberries as I do, you'll love this one. We tried various sours at the tasting, including LeBleu and Crianza Helena and I enjoyed this one more than both of them; I came home the next day and immediately tried to trade for a bottle. Would love to have again sometime and truely worth the hype.

4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. 2012 bottle.

Appearance - Deep red, purple body. Nice white head. Collar lasts forever.

Smell - The blueberry flavor comes out a lot, but it's got a green character to it. Nice funk and acidity.

Taste - Also very green. Funky and a nice blueberry flavor. Graininess and sourness. Finishes with a nice fruity flavor blended into a sour bite

Mouthfeel - Spritzy carbonation. Medium to light body.

Overall - I hoped the fruit character would be incredible, but it's very green. Fou'Foune is better, but this is a great lambic.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Enormous thanks go out to mikesgroove for sending me this bottle in a recent trade. Shared with a few friends at a tasting yesterday.

This review is of a Batch 4 bottle (2009)

A: The pour is a fantastic looking deep purple color with a fluffy pink head on top.

S: The nose is certainly very fruity, but I don't necessarily detect a lot of blueberries. There are some great cherry, raspberry, and a mixture of other tart berries. There is also a lot of lactic tartness, but not as much in the way of funk or wood as you usually expect from Cantillon.

T: Like the nose, the fruit is really the star of the show in this beer. A mix of indistinguishable tart berries really hits you up front. The oak comes through a bit more in the flavor, but is not overpowering. While I had been noting a lack of blueberry flavor, they really come out on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full with a nice tingly carbonation on the tongue.

D: This is one of the most fruit forward lambics/wild ales I've come across. I really enjoyed the balance of the fruit and the traditional funk and sourness.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beer #4000 deserves something special. Huge thanks to DocJ007 yet again for the crazy beer he shares with us all. 375ml bottle from 2012.

Pours deep reddish purple with a one and a half finger tall white head, slowly dissipating down to a light film, leaving small webs of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smells of sweet/tart fresh picked blueberries, the ever present Cantillon musty brewery funk, some mild lactic sourness, yogurt and finally some grains. Taste follows the same path with plenty of tart blueberries and lactic sourness up front followed closely by the must and finally the lightly chewy grains. Feel is slightly grainy quickly being enveloped by plenty of musty sourness and slight sweetness from the berries.

Overall an excellent fruit lambic. I still prefer a few of there others more but I would never turn down another chance to try this one. Glad to finally get to try it, thanks again Justin!

4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Potentially worth noting it was a 2013 bottle.

Served in a Sweetwater mini-snifter.

Gotta say, I sure as hell didn't expect this guy to drop in my lap the way it did. My thanks go out to whomever it was that shared the bottle with me. It pours a clear deep indigo topped by a finger or so of light purple-ish foam. The nose comprises funky blueberries, light tobacco, and plenty of farmhouse-style funk. A hint of vinegar seeps in the back door. The taste brings in more of the same, with that vinegar coming in stronger, though not strongly enough to properly usurp. The tartness is a lot lower than I expected, though there's definitely some tannic qualities to be found. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a lightly sticky finish. Overall, while this was a generally enjoyable beer, it came nowhere near to living up to the hype surrounding it. I can't for the life of me fathom why so many would stop at so little to obtain what I thought to be something just pretty good. To each their own, I suppose...

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage, poured from a 375ml. Poured very hazy with a great ruby/purple color and small pinkish head. Some blueberries on the nose, musty, lots of funk. Initial sweetness from the blueberries up front, but quickly fades to a very nice sour and funk taste. Nice dry, lingering finish with a tart aftertaste. Overall an excellent blueberry lambic.

3.84/5  rDev -15%

Let me precurse this review by saying how excited and full of anticipation I was to finally have a chance to try this brew...

750ml bottle, '11 inscribed on the bottom of the label with silver marker. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a deep purple color. A pink frothy head sits atop the brew and gets revived to a full finger's strength when lightly swirled. When held to the light, ruby coloration shows through the body and despite a careful pour, some tiny spots of what looks like blueberry skin rests on the bottom of the glass.

The smell of this brew is primarily funky with notes of plastic while it is chilled. Some indications of cheese and earthy fruit start to evolve as the brew warms up. It also has a mild almost medicinal touch about it. When the glass is swirled, only then do berry tinges come out and blend through the aroma. Once warm, this brew picks up a sort of damp woodsy character from the barrel aging. While not the most fragrant, bright or upfront fruit scent to a beer, it is well rounded and enjoyable.

The taste is funky primarily with plastic notes upfront. I won't sugar-coat my first impression; it is slightly disappointing considering the unrealistic aura surrounding this brew. As it warms up, it turns earthy and pitted with a light medicinal touch. The berry inclusion here gets increasingly earthy with a wet and almost moldy wood feel to it. There is a spice of alcohol that comes out across the back as the brew warms up. It is tart and rich in berry flavor once warm which is pleasant considering the initial let down.

This is a light bodied brew with a perfect amount of modest carbonation. It is lively enough in the mouth but not overdone and distracting. There is a solid mix of flavor/character to take in with lots of earthy tones. However, the initial impact of plastic and light nail polish remover was quite unwelcomed and didn't blend well with the rest of the brew. This offering was somewhat dry on the tongue which increased its overall salivation factor and ease of drink ability. It carries with it almost a cooling aspect about it in the back of the throat.

After the fact consideration: While glancing over other reviews, I don't see mention of some of the unpleasant character I picked up on in this. It makes me wonder just how variable some bottles can be. This is something I wouldn't mind trying again but it most certainly is not worth the price of admission. It is not the best fruit lambic I have had, it's not even the best Cantillon offering available. The sheer amount of blueberries that had to be packed in this to discolor the brew to the deep purple it is, is amazing. Unfortunately, that excitement/impression doesn't easily transpire to the same degree in either the flavor or aroma.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon